Tav as a number 8

Novichok

The right side number 8 midfield position is becoming a bit of an issue for me.

We've tried a few there now, but none of them offer Goldson and Tav the same protection Jack did, or that Kamara provides on the left side.

Could Tav play that role for is with Patterson at right back?

He certainly has the energy and would add some much needed pace to the midfield as well as a threat with shots from distance.

Also, in theory he should be good at covering the full back, helping the defence and shuttling across laterally.

Issue might be on the ball and having less time in there.

Aribo doesn't work there, neither does Arfield and it's beginning to look like Lundstram might be better as a defensive number 6.

I'd like to see us trying Tav in there. Thoughts?

I think it's something that Gerrard had been working on but clearly isn't ready to be tried out. I am a big fan of keeping players playing in their natural position. Tav is a right back and it really should be where he is playing. That said, I think Patterson is a better defender and soon to be an overall better player than Tav altogether.

It might be something worth giving a go - not sure when the right time to try it out is though.

That said, I want to see Patterson playing, a lot more.

I remember this debate when we had Hutton especially putting him into midfield.

Don't think it would work imo.

Wouldn't that nullify Tav's attacking threat though? If Patterson is going forward then Tav would be holding back to cover for him, it wouldn't be both of them attacking.

I personally think Tav would be wasted in our midfield.
Yeah it would imo also.

We need to be winning games and winning games well before the Tav/Patterson conundrum is resolved. I'm probably more inclined to see Tav as a 7 in a flat 4 across the midfield over other options of him as a no.8, 3rd CH or as a right 10

giphy.webp

Could never see that working. It’s time Tav was ‘rested’. Patterson should have played on Sunday there but tomorrow surely.

He's got an abundance of attributes to play there.

Great engine, good upper body strength, very accurate passer, can shoot from distance. If you just want him to go box to box I think it's a reasonable shout.

I remember this debate when we had Hutton especially putting him into midfield.

Don't think it would work imo.
We didn’t put Hutton in midfield. We bought Whittaker and played him wide right in front of Hutton but he dropped in when Hutton went forward. It worked - then Hutton left.

See tbh, I can see your logic

I think Balogun would make a good number 6 and Barisic could play the left of the midfield 3

That would allow Helander, Bassey and Paterson all to play too.

Hope Gerrard and Beale consider it :D

Very difficult to convert a natural attacking full back into a centre mid

Tavs attacking threat is getting to the byline and getting crosses into the box. We’d lose that by pushing him into midfield.

It’s a no from me

Warbutton tried this I’m sure in an old firm game no less. Didn’t work.

He’s better at running on to the ball with space to run into.

England tried this with Alexander Arnold recently. Didn’t work either.

This may come across as slightly controversial.. But,

We don't play Tav for his defending abilities, we know he's limited there, however - he does need to play on that right hand side.

We use him for his crossing ability, without him our overall attacks and chances created falls dramatically.

I know Gerrard experimentally tried playing Tav RM, with Patterson behind but it doesn't work.

Tavernier is effective because he hits on the overlap and puts inswingers in, playing him anywhere but RB limits our attack imo.

Last edited:
I think Patterson is a better defender , as do a few others who have posted above , so for this idea to work would it not be better Patterson the 8 who covers in if tav bombs forward as his crossing for now is better ?

Reason he’s at right back is because that’s his best position and he’s been incredibly effective. Only solution is rotation.

The right side number 8 midfield position is becoming a bit of an issue for me.

We've tried a few there now, but none of them offer Goldson and Tav the same protection Jack did, or that Kamara provides on the left side.

Could Tav play that role for is with Patterson at right back?

He certainly has the energy and would add some much needed pace to the midfield as well as a threat with shots from distance.

Also, in theory he should be good at covering the full back, helping the defence and shuttling across laterally.

Issue might be on the ball and having less time in there.

Aribo doesn't work there, neither does Arfield and it's beginning to look like Lundstram might be better as a defensive number 6.

I'd like to see us trying Tav in there. Thoughts?
Get off the internet.

I wonder how many folk scoffed at Ricksen in CM?

I’d love us to try it, our midfield needs a a new dimension and Tav has more to his game than his crossing. It might now work but I’d rather be brave and experiment than be close minded. On a similar point, and this might sound daft given my point here, I wouldn’t like him in the RW role.

McCoist would’ve got slated as a “shoe horn” manager if he done this, but whilst I don’t think it’s an ideal scenario - I wouldn’t be shocked to see this happening under Gerrard.

We’re not there yet but I can envisage this happening.

For our deep lying midfield we’ve got options as:

Davis (fatigue/ age issues)
Kamara (maybe)
Lundstram (not convincing)
Arfield (mixed bag)
Kelly (unknown)
Aribo (highly unlikely)
Jack (long shot)

Considering the above, it’s not unrealistic to think we’ll see Tav in the midfield position.

We’ve had a howler of a transfer window it this position imo.

Wouldn't that nullify Tav's attacking threat though? If Patterson is going forward then Tav would be holding back to cover for him, it wouldn't be both of them attacking.

I personally think Tav would be wasted in our midfield.
Lets be honest, when was the last time Tav was a real attacking threat. That goes for both of our fullbacks actually, a shadow of last season.

He played central midfield during a short spell under Warburton and performed well. That was many years ago and it seems highly unlikely Gerrard would suddenly try and turn him into a midfielder at the age of 29, especially as he's so important to us in his current role and has just come off the back of a player of the year season.

Why do positions, mainly midfield, now have (old) squad numbers to define them?

“Number 8” surely should be your attacking centre mid and “number 6” your defensive centre mid?

Tav has four assists and one goal so far this season. I don't remember each one but some may be set pieces, but that's not bad for being a shadow of last season.
To be honest our full squad is a shadow of last season regardless of what the stats say.

Surely if Tavernier moves toward anywhere it’s to the right hand side of the front three?

It’s never going to happen anyway.

If we’re wanting to keep Patterson and Tav as so many people think is possible, then a position change for one of them is the only way forward.

Back