Tav Can't Defend

Candeias has played a huge role in Tav's improvement imo. His work rate is phenomenal. I love watching the pair of them bomb about covering every blade of grass in Royal blue!

Totally agree, great partnership on the right.

What a ball from Tav for the first goal tonight.

I wish he had scored that volley at parkhead. He is by far the best player in the league when he is on form. He has absolutely everything.

Best first touch in the team.
Best crosser of a ball in the team.
Best athlete in the team.
Best footballer in the team.

He can tackle.
He has an engine that allows him to get up and down the park all day.
He is strong on the ball.
He seems to love playing for us.

We have been guilty for far too long highlighting what he isn't great at, instead of celebrating the many things he does brilliantly.

Funny how things change, the guy used to get slaughtered on here by the majority of posters for how shocking he was at defending,
I 'be been critical of him and not that long ago too. He is inconsistent and when he is off he is off. That being said, when he is on he is a tremendous asset to the team.

Makes a difference when there’s an actual footballer in front of him.

He’s been expected to attack, defend, assist goals, score goals, beat players and tackle everything down that right hand side on his own for the majority of his Rangers career, so it’s no surprise to see him flourish with an equally as enthusiastic winger in front of him.

Reactions: Mez

He can tackle.

We have been guilty for far too long highlighting what he isn't great at, instead of celebrating the many things he does brilliantly.

Now that he’s got his defensive duties sorted he’s a top player

He played a captains role tonight

He was outstanding tonight. That is as close to a 10/10 performance as you are likely to see from a full-back!

He has as many goals and more assists in the league than dumbellend. Their star striker. Our right back.

He’s a fvcking sensational player.

Reactions: Mez
What performance tonight - had a bit of everything.

He is damn near the perfect moderm day fullback. Rated him right from the start and hands down my favourite player currently playing for us.

For me, if we can get him to sign a new contract and tie him up for at least the next few years, it would eclipse any other business we have done in this window - he is THAT important to us.

I have been critical of Tavernier regarding his defensive qualities but he has been superb recently. Long may it continue.

Tav was excellent. He’s best right back in the country. His impact on games is massive and the stats back it up.

He deserves a new deal and a big pay rise

Always said Tav was a very good footballer who would only improve with a better quality of player around him. I would be looking at offering him a new deal and making him a top earner at the Club. He is fast becoming a real favourite with the support, let's make him a key part of our future plans.

Tav has always been great going forward and poor at defending. But Murty has helped him by the use of candiaes covering him.

He has all the tools to be an absolutely top notch right back. He has clearly worked on the defensive side of his game and seeing the benefit of that. Getting him tied down on a long term deal should be a priority.

He can tackle.

So very true, let's look at the positives.

Overall he hardly put a foot wrong tonight, but (here comes that guy)...........

He came off his man in the first half and if not for a great save by Wes, it would have been 1-1 at half-time. Unfortunately full-backs don't get too many passes when the other team is coming down your throat. That decision making is the difference.

In the second half, his positional sense and work rate was almost perfect. If he played like that every week, he'd be a 10m pound full-back.

Brilliant tonight. Brilliant against the poets. But this thread sums FF up. Lose in the net few weeks and he'll be public enemy no.1 again. I'm on the fence, been excellent for weeks, if he does it for another couple of months I'll start believing the hype.

He saved us three times with goal saving challenges in the six yard box late in the game. Positionally he was excellent and his overall game continues to improve.

I’ve given him a lot of stick too, but only because he’s had a lot of games where he’s defended abysmally.

I think there’s still times during games where he switches off defensively and that can cost us.

However, more recently, and tonight in particular, he has been fantastic. He was absolutely solid tonight and his delivery for Morelos’ goal was top notch too.

I hope he can keep this form up and I hope we can tie him down to a longer deal as well, keep it up Tav!

I said on the Danny Wilson thread yesterday that I liked Danny as a player and would like to keep him (as a squad player) but wouldn’t “break the bank” to keep him.

Whilst i wouldn’t “break” our wage structure for any player (unless they were Messiesque) I would stretch our limits to try and keep Tav. Even sign him up on a new deal and punt him 6months later will instantly command a fee of 5 times what we could get for him now.

Best right back in the league by a country mile.
Simple as that.

Some great last ditch challenges, always a threat going forward and the delivery for the Morelos goal was absolutely sensational.

For all his faults,Mark Warburton left us with with a couple of diamonds in Tav and Wes...............and not forgetting wee Holt who was outstanding last night,all 3 for around £265k:)

My MotM tonight.

Outstanding
He was,however his positioning defensively still leaves a lot to be desired. Case in point is the McKay-Steven chance in the first half.
He brings many more positives to the side than negatives though.
He's quick,athletic and strong. One on one he's improved greatly in a defensive sense,but as I said his positioning is still extremely suspect.

Candeias has played a huge role in Tav's improvement imo. His work rate is phenomenal. I love watching the pair of them bomb about covering every blade of grass in Royal blue!

I believe you are absolutely right about Candeias, and although I am one of those who criticises Tav's defending (and only his defending), he has got better this season again and was outstanding last night. Why? Well for the "told you so" smart arses on FF, last night he was doing all the things right that he was being criticised for before, i.e. Not leaving players unmarked at teh back post, not getting caught upfield and unable to get back, putting his body on the line in the box, and preventing crosses coming in. For that maybe we should congratulate Tav for improving and Murty and his team for their coaching to him. I would be delighted if James plays that way for the rest of the season.

He was never shocking at defending.

He had Waghorn or MoH in front of him, Kiernan beside him and Halliday as defensive mid. That lot would have made Cafu himself look bad.

He is our best and most valuable player IMO.
This is the point I was going to make.

Ha has better players around him, especially Candieas, who help cover him when he goes marauding forward.

Many of the goals we conceded last season were due to him being exposed or attempting to cover others. He made a few glaring errors as well but these have, in the main, gone from his game.

He was,however his positioning defensively still leaves a lot to be desired. Case in point is the McKay-Steven chance in the first half.
He brings many more positives to the side than negatives though.
He's quick,athletic and strong. One on one he's improved greatly in a defensive sense,but as I said his positioning is still extremely suspect.
Exactly the point I made myself. I watched him very closely off the ball and he keeps leaving us exposed and his man unmarked. He also tucks in too much when he does get back and leaves the RB position wide open oblivious to any attacking winger. Also if he’d just position himself nearer the winger, the winger wouldn’t be an option for a pass and the problem would be nipped in the bud. Candieas covers a lot for him but can’t do it all the time. Yet I can’t disagree - he had a great game. Will we get away with it though every time?

Back