Tav Contract

We have been blessed with talent all over the pitch since I began watching Rangers as a kid (Souness era onward) but imo right back is one position we have always lacked a bit. Tav is absolutely in our top 3 over that period imo along with Stevens and Hutton. Think about that timeframe, late 80s to present day.

Ricksen I am counting as a midfielder where I think he played his best stuff for us.

Porrini could have been but didn’t contribute enough, Moore I recall started out right back then was moved to CB and %^*& me at one point I even thought Fraser Wishart seemed decent because we were so bereft of options at one point!!

Tav is definitely a player who will be more appreciated when we try to replace him. Already in the HOF with years still to contribute and it’s deserved!!

Edit: honourable mention for Patterson who we only got a glimpse of but had/has the potential

We have been blessed with talent all over the pitch since I began watching Rangers as a kid (Souness era onward) but imo right back is one position we have always lacked a bit. Tav is absolutely in our top 3 over that period imo along with Stevens and Hutton. Think about that timeframe, late 80s to present day.

Ricksen I am counting as a midfielder where I think he played his best stuff for us.

Porrini could have been but didn’t contribute enough, Moore I recall started out right back then was moved to CB and %^*& me at one point I even thought Fraser Wishart seemed decent because we were so bereft of options at one point!!

Tav is definitely a player who will be more appreciated when we try to replace him. Already in the HOF with years still to contribute and it’s deserved!!

Edit: honourable mention for Patterson who we only got a glimpse of but had/has the potential

Steven Whittaker was a very good right back for us.

Subjected to yes, his performances haven’t been great this season. He’s been caught out on many occasions and has declined. He’s been great for the club but we need a long term successor.
Is there no a case that maybe he’s just having a poor(er) season. Last season he reached incredible levels of consistency and this season he’s fallen below them. He’s had injuries and been “subjected” to playing next to Lundstram and Sands at CB.

I’m hopeful with a good pre season and a consistent back 4 and goalkeeper, he’ll kick on again next season.

He was tbf but not near Stevens, Tav or Hutton?

The three you mentioned are definitely better but I think Whittaker is closer to them than you think. I actually think Whittaker was one of our most underrated players during Walters second spell with us.

Whittaker also had the versatility to play left back, centre half and anywhere across the midfield too.

The three you mentioned are definitely better but I think Whittaker is closer to them than you think. I actually think Whittaker was one of our most underrated players during Walters second spell with us.

Whittaker also had the versatility to play left back, centre half and anywhere across the midfield too.
I really liked Whittaker, acknowledge he was worth a mention and certainly gave me some great memories.

My main point re Tav though is he is one of our top 3 right backs since the late 80s and I think it’s crazy people are so desperate for him to be replaced.

I really liked Whittaker, acknowledge he was worth a mention and certainly gave me some great memories.

My main point re Tav though is he is one of our top 3 right backs since the late 80s and I think it’s crazy people are so desperate for him to be replaced.

There’s an argument that Tav is one of the best 3 right backs in the history of the club mate. A lot of our fans won’t realise what we’ve got until Tav is gone unfortunately.

There’s an argument that Tav is one of the best 3 right backs in the history of the club mate. A lot of our fans won’t realise what we’ve got until Tav is gone unfortunately.
People are too hung up on trophy count and struggle to look beyond that.

Tav will be looked upon very fondly once he goes and people start to realise what weve lost for sure.

I hold Tav in very high regard and do not want/expect to see him replaced any time soon. With that being said, however, I did (and do) feel that his new contract was a hell of a long commitment to make to a player who is the wrong side of thirty and plays every single minute of every single game, even when injured.

I would add that under Gio he was hamstrung and under Beale he’s only now getting further up the park, more so depending on who plays in midfield. As we seen the other night with Jack offering security and allowing movement.

Perhaps if we had a more settled and secure team elsewhere I’d see him differently, but this season I just see a guy declining and unless it’s through injury and can be fixed I don’t see a return to the roving style we became accustomed too.

Last seasons Europa League run and top scorer award certainly evidence this o_O

People are too hung up on trophy count and struggle to look beyond that.

Tav will be looked upon very fondly once he goes and people start to realise what weve lost for sure.

Tavs “story” or “journey” at the club is about more than just trophies. To judge him solely on trophies does him a bit of a disservice IMO but people are entitled to judge him however they want.

Devine is nowhere near the level of Tav and never will be. We need to start the planning of life after Tav but until someone can come in and provide what he does that ain’t happening.

Hodson
Flanagan
Polster
Patterson
Zukowski
Devine

We need an actual attacking fullback that can do what Tav does - at a minimum.
Was Tav at the level of Tav when he was Devines age?

Given that our captain has a contract up to May 2026, are we going to be subjected to him as our 1st choice RB for the next 3 years or will we either push Devine or a new RB to challenge and take over this position?

I am a big Tav fan and love the contribution he has given to our club but think the thought of another 3 years is a pretty grim prospect given by the end of it he would be 34 and already showing some decline now.

I think he will be fully deserving of a testimonial after 10 years but I hope that the club are looking at a long term succession plan here.
Subjected? FFS

The way Tav looks after himself and his general fitness and athleticism, id fully expect him to be as effective at 34 as he is now.

Think your being incredibly harsh saying we are being "subjected" to a guy whos numbers, even this season, speak for themselves.

If your greater point is that he should have a challenger and not be guaranteed his position, then i think thats fair. I hate seeing anyone guaranteed a game. Its not healthy. Its up to Devine to prove he can take his jersey though. Same goes for anyone else we bring in who plays RB.

But he’s not that effective now.

When was the last time we saw him with energy and taking people on in the final third.

His effectiveness comes from taking every free-kick, corner and penalty.

If cantwell, Raskin, Tillman, Sakala, Jack etc took as many set-pieces as Tav - they’d have “high numbers” also.

Tav, and Goldson have been playing a phenomenal amount of games over the last 4 years. Freakish amount of pitch time, which is a huge credit to them both. But A Tav/Goldson at 30-34yrs old over the next few years isn’t going to be anywhere close to the Tav/Goldson of 26-30yrs old that we saw before over the last few years.

He’ll still be first pick for the next couple of season but we need to start succession planning and recruiting better. The recruitment over the last few windows which has saw us with 9 first team players out of contract in the summer and left with very few sellable assets has been a disaster.

Tavs “story” or “journey” at the club is about more than just trophies. To judge him solely on trophies does him a bit of a disservice IMO but people are entitled to judge him however they want.
I agree with this, remarkable contribution and deserves all the credit coming his way when he has gone. As our journey and recovery continues, history shows that our senior players are incapable of delivering when it really matters.

I feel the next stage is a complete rebuild and signing not only first 11 players but winners in the context of a 2 horse race.
Our defense and GK is the priority for me. We need to start building for the future and building a team that can win.

We are at the point in our journey where If you are not first in Scotland then it’s failure.

Beale won’t fix this overnight but he has accepted a job managing a team that needs to be rebuilt, His narrative has changed after the final and it’s less than subtle.

He’s changed from avoiding the term rebuild and now uses if frequently in interviews. I’m glad he recognizes that. He knows he cant rely and trust a number of senior players when it matters. Time will tell, we will find out who he wants to put his faith in.

I hope the board are ready to support him properly.

He should have been sold 2 years ago (stock at its highest) with Patterson taking his place for a couple of years. Doubt we will see the patterson add ons as it stands
Why wont we? He's been one of the only positives of Everton's season, although has had a few injuries.

Devine is nowhere near the level of Tav and never will be. We need to start the planning of life after Tav but until someone can come in and provide what he does that ain’t happening.

Hodson
Flanagan
Polster
Patterson
Zukowski
Devine

We need an actual attacking fullback that can do what Tav does - at a minimum.
I suppose the argument would be he could be near the level Tav is now. Patterson got slaughtered and has made your list id suggest his transfer fee to the league folk adore and respect says he was/is.

Ofcourse its tough to find any positive comments about scottish youth players on here but i do often wonder what happens with B teams players that are non-scots. Maybe they have chance or at least deserve a chance ? Tillman had very little experience but plenty of respect.

I understand what Tav does but i also think to beat a strong Celtic side(and the most dishonest group of refs in world sport) we need to stop losing crap goals. Its really that simple.

Bit extreme in language OP.

I think we will see a replacement summer 2024 if I was to guess, a yilmaz type

Stats are amazing for a right back but if we take away his penalties this season in the league where he has played every minute of every game I think in fact I think queen of south was the last game he missed in cup tav has scored 4 goals with 5 assists at least one of those goals was an amazing free kick so for me his numbers have drastically fallen this season we say gio stifled him but I cant think of any league assists since the gaffer arrived
Never been subbed off worries me that 2 managers have taken it for granted that he will be available and devine looks good but we need better competition at right back and that would be 1 of the main recruitment decisions for summer
Tav has been a great servant but hes not a great defender and must be only defender I know not to have been sent off in his career which must span over 500 games if yilmaz is not the answer and I dont know we must revamp full backs as they have 2 ordinary Scottish right backs and a Canadian who isnt special but they are creating more scoring opportunities than our 2 dont get me wrong none of them have 20 percent of Tav and BBs crossing abilities
Big DJ and Hateley would of loved those 2 putting balls in the box for them they would of destroyed teams with the crosses we put in box

The OP's word choice is unfortunate, but we should absolutely be looking to provide more competition in the right back area. Is Devine the answer? I don't think so.

32 this year, Tavernier will be in a natural decline. Competition at his age is healthy.

Zukowski was the right idea, wrong player.

The OP's word choice is unfortunate, but we should absolutely be looking to provide more competition in the right back area. Is Devine the answer? I don't think so.

32 this year, Tavernier will be in a natural decline. Competition at his age is healthy.

Zukowski was the right idea, wrong player.
This is exactly how I meant it but hey ho.

I’ll be subjected to the same comment all day.

Big part of his game is his athleticism and ability to get up and down the line quickly, the minute he starts losing a yard of pace it takes so much away from him so I can see where the OP is coming from tbh.

Wouldn’t be opposed to a signing being brought in with views to succeeding him while Tav is still contributing at the level he is. Improve from a position of strength.

Big part of his game is his athleticism and ability to get up and down the line quickly, the minute he starts losing a yard of pace it takes so much away from him so I can see where the OP is coming from tbh.

Wouldn’t be opposed to a signing being brought in with views to succeeding him while Tav is still contributing at the level he is. Improve from a position of strength.
I would argue that unless he’s been injured he’s already losing that yard.

Tav has been a brilliant right back for us, and has a good enough level of fitness to keep going.

There are signs of him fading though, especially compared to the highs of last season. We should be planning his succession now really.

I like Devine, has done well whenever played and that was out of position. Wouldn't mind seeing him get game time to see if he's good enough.

Neither the money or quality of youth is there to replace Tav at any point next season. We have far bigger issues to sort than replacing the Captain and barring a large bid for him that is where the money will go- elsewhere.

Honestly, some of the attention seeking crap you post has to be seen to be believed.
This aimed at me?

If so, it’s my opinion as a fan, season ticket holder etc I’m entitled to it. Yes others may not agree but I know what I meant and whilst subjected is a strong word, I firmly believe his best days are past him.

Hope I’m proven wrong and he’s excellent for the next 3 years but I can’t see it.

This aimed at me?

If so, it’s my opinion as a fan, season ticket holder etc and I’m entitled to it. Yes others may not agree but I know what I meant and whilst subjected is a strong word, I firmly believe his best days are past him.

Hope I’m proven wrong and he’s excellent for the next 3 years but I can’t see it.
You are the OP, yes.

Clearly it was aimed at you.

Same old hysterical rubbish time and time again.

You are indeed entitled to your opinion regardless if it makes you look like a teenager stamping his feet demanding attention.

Subjected to… Jesus wept, of all the problems we do have in our team you home in on one guy who delivers tremendous numbers, is physically robust and gives 110% every time he goes on the field as a Rangers player.

Good on you mate. Not.

You are the OP, yes.

Clearly it was aimed at you.

Same old hysterical rubbish time and time again.

You are indeed entitled to your opinion regardless if it makes you look like a teenager stamping his feet demanding attention.
Mate, if it bothers you what I post:

1) don’t read it
2) don’t comment on it because your opinion of me won’t change my life

If it’s attention seeking to ask a question about probably the key member of our team given his contribution, club captain etc and fact he is declining in age and performance then yeah I’m really seeking attention!

Idiot!

12 goals 5 assists.

That’s probably Kent and Sakala combined for the season or not far off at least from right back.

He may be at fault for 4/5 at the other end but the odds are massively stacked in his favour.
Sakala and kent not got more assists this season ?

He’ll play every game he’s fit for until he retires.

I don’t know how healthy that is, I’d really like a challenger who’s a much better defender for that spot to give us different options.

Last edited:
This aimed at me?

If so, it’s my opinion as a fan, season ticket holder etc I’m entitled to it. Yes others may not agree but I know what I meant and whilst subjected is a strong word, I firmly believe his best days are past him.

Agree that Tav's form has clearly dipped this season MM and at times it has been frustrating but he brings so much to our playing system that he is irreplaceable at the moment.

He will be extremely difficult to replace when the times comes.

Agree that Tav's form has clearly dipped this season MM and at times it has been frustrating but he brings so much to our playing system that he is irreplaceable at the moment.

He will be extremely difficult to replace when the times comes.
Yes he will be a big player to fill hence the question, will be look to do it sooner than later given he’s got 3 years left and will only get worse.

I wouldn’t be against both us and Tav moving on in the near future. It’s hard to tell if this season is a one off with multiple factors involved or if he’s just in decline.

James Tavernier will arguably be one of the hardest players Rangers have had to replace in modern times.

The "he canny defend" brigade are going to be in for some shock when they eventually see his long term successor, because I honestly don't think we'll see a RB for Rangers like him for years to come.

whoscored.com has Tav as our highest rated player this season.

It really is ridiculous that we're subjected to that.
It’s a pretty meaningless metric as his penalties will inflate his ratings. That’s not me saying Tav has been awful but he’s not been our best this season.

Given that our captain has a contract up to May 2026, are we going to be subjected to him as our 1st choice RB for the next 3 years or will we either push Devine or a new RB to challenge and take over this position?

I am a big Tav fan and love the contribution he has given to our club but think the thought of another 3 years is a pretty grim prospect given by the end of it he would be 34 and already showing some decline now.

I think he will be fully deserving of a testimonial after 10 years but I hope that the club are looking at a long term succession plan here.
Hopefully still 1st choice next season at least.
Nowhere near in decline.
Also I do think Devine should get some more minutes to prove his worth as back up.

Some fans with Tav, honestly it baffles me.

Yes he has a contract but it seems that when it comes to Tav 'fans' completely forget that players can leave before that contract is up. It doesn't mean you're going to be stuck with him for the next 3 years so I wouldn't get too worked up about it just yet.

Latest posts

Back