Tav Contract

Madjid Moments

Given that our captain has a contract up to May 2026, are we going to be subjected to him as our 1st choice RB for the next 3 years or will we either push Devine or a new RB to challenge and take over this position?

I am a big Tav fan and love the contribution he has given to our club but think the thought of another 3 years is a pretty grim prospect given by the end of it he would be 34 and already showing some decline now.

I think he will be fully deserving of a testimonial after 10 years but I hope that the club are looking at a long term succession plan here.

The way Tav looks after himself and his general fitness and athleticism, id fully expect him to be as effective at 34 as he is now.

Think your being incredibly harsh saying we are being "subjected" to a guy whos numbers, even this season, speak for themselves.

If your greater point is that he should have a challenger and not be guaranteed his position, then i think thats fair. I hate seeing anyone guaranteed a game. Its not healthy. Its up to Devine to prove he can take his jersey though. Same goes for anyone else we bring in who plays RB.

Last edited:
We have multiple threads about how players should be on contracts so we don't lose them for nothing. Yet here we are talking about how a player contracted to 2026 means he will be there for the entire term. He can be sold at some point you know.

Some fans won’t realise how good tav is for us until he is gone.
By his standards he hasn’t been brilliant this year, but he is still the best right back in Scotland by a mile.
His assists and runs are what makes him the player he is.
We have seen some players try and dislodge him but he is and rightly so our best right back.
Young Patterson was the only one to actually look like giving him a run for his position, but he ended up leaving.
Tav will rightly so be in his position until we get someone in who is better in every way tav is, modern full backs don’t really defend anymore it’s about assisting goals and getting into attacking positions.

Fantastic servant over the years but again, keep doing the same things and nothing will change, I believe Beale can see that and will address it.
We will win nothing until Tav and others of a similar vintage are cycled out of the team. we need to start phasing Tav, Goodson, Borna, Lumdstram, Kamara out from here on in.

This is not a bad thing, it’s how elite teams operate.

Given that our captain has a contract up to May 2026, are we going to be subjected to him as our 1st choice RB for the next 3 years or will we either push Devine or a new RB to challenge and take over this position?

I am a big Tav fan and love the contribution he has given to our club but think the thought of another 3 years is a pretty grim prospect given by the end of it he would be 34 and already showing some decline now.

I think he will be fully deserving of a testimonial after 10 years but I hope that the club are looking at a long term succession plan here.
Subjected to?
Such a chore.

A lot of people more interested in my own opinion than the point of the thread and looking ahead to how we deal with replacing a long term member of the team and ultimately replacing a club captain.

This season yes. Been a lot of poor performances.
12 goals 5 assists.

That’s probably Kent and Sakala combined for the season or not far off at least from right back.

He may be at fault for 4/5 at the other end but the odds are massively stacked in his favour.

A lot of people more interested in my own opinion than the point of the thread and looking ahead to how we deal with replacing a long term member of the team and ultimately replacing a club captain.

When you use phrases like *subjected to* you should really expect to see some push back on it.
Hes not been great this season but he is still pushing on, the whole team havent be great so why pick on one player. No need to offer/think about a renewal till next year so lets see how we are subjected to him until then.

Fantastic servant over the years but again, keep doing the same things and nothing will change, I believe Beale can see that and will address it.
We will win nothing until Tav and others of a similar vintage are cycled out of the team. we need to start phasing Tav, Goodson, Borna, Lumdstram, Kamara out from here on in.

Is it really how elite teams operate?
The elitist of elite teams in Real Madrid, City, Barcelona, Bayern, Liverpool, .... they have have a core of players that have been at the club for around a decade.

Nothing wrong with having a core squad that stays around for a while. That's not been our problem, its been the assortment of supporting cast that haven't been good enough and has had a lot of turnover.

Tav is fine you're doing him a disservice.

Tav is the type of player our 'trading model' SHOULD be based off, a guy who's gonna be here and reliably which gives us time to plan his successor either through youth or a young guy we can get on the cheap.

If it comes to 2026 and Tav decides to call it quits and we're going out spending 3,4,5 mill on a replacement we've fucked up. We should be aiming to get his replacement and building him up to take over for pennies/free right now.

We know Tav won't leave, so that gives us 3+ years minimum to build his successor. If we can't do that and go out and spend millions then questions should righly be asked, because it's not millions we have to spend when we can "easily" avoid it.

If he’s been our highest rated player it shows how bad we have collectively been imo.

Or that he's nowhere near as bad as you're making him out to be. Maybe his rating shows that he's not the problem in the team and we're not being subjected to him week in week out.

Yes. He’s in decline.
After a season like last season, it would be hard to be anything but worse.

He’s more than good enough short-term, we should be looking at integrating a capable successor for season 24/25. Short-term, a decent back-up should do. The guy is barely injured and we have higher priorities in the squad.

I wouldn’t see much sense in pushing much before that unless he rapidly declines further. He’s been better under Beale than he was under Gio. And he does have a long-term contract which I feel he fully deserved.

He should have been sold 2 years ago (stock at its highest) with Patterson taking his place for a couple of years. Doubt we will see the patterson add ons as it stands
Wouldn’t have seen the Patterson add-one, or a transfer fee for him, if he’d stayed.
At the time of the transfer of Patterson, Tavernier was simply miles better.

After a season like last season, it would be hard to be anything but worse.

He’s more than good enough short-term, we should be looking at integrating a capable successor for season 24/25. Short-term, a decent back-up should do. The guy is barely injured and we have higher priorities in the squad.

I wouldn’t see much sense in pushing much before that unless he rapidly declines further. He’s been better under Beale than he was under Gio. And he does have a long-term contract which I feel he fully deserved.
He was top goalscorer in the Europa League under Gio?

He was outstanding in Europe last season. I’m pretty sure he was in the top 3 Europa League players stats wise on the UEFA site?

I think you'll be in for a surprise if you expect players like Tav or Goldson to be phased out.

He was top goalscorer in the Europa League under Gio?

He was outstanding in Europe last season. I’m pretty sure he was in the top 3 Europa League players stats wise on the UEFA site?
Sorry mate, I should’ve clarified.

I meant this term specifically. But I do feel Gio’s system cut the baws off our fullbacks (over time).

No argument from me on last season, he was excellent.

When you use phrases like *subjected to* you should really expect to see some push back on it.
Hes not been great this season but he is still pushing on, the whole team havent be great so why pick on one player. No need to offer/think about a renewal till next year so lets see how we are subjected to him until then.
It’s my opinion though so happy to stick with it.

In an ideal world we would be targeting long-term replacements for Tav & Goldson this summer. Instead, we’ll probably have to kick the cans into next year because we’ve not recruited properly in other areas.

Is it really how elite teams operate?
The elitist of elite teams in Real Madrid, City, Barcelona, Bayern, Liverpool, .... they have have a core of players that have been at the club for around a decade.

Nothing wrong with having a core squad that stays around for a while. That's not been our problem, its been the assortment of supporting cast that haven't been good enough and has had a lot of turnover.
And they are all serial winners. Club and players.

I am not into bashing the likes of Tav, I 100% belief we will never dominate our league with those players.

The word Elite is relative, i realize you are not comparing us to the teams listed but in this context. my use of the word elite is a team that is expected to win every game in the Scottish game. A 2 horse race.

Thses players have consistently failed when it matters, it’s a shame just the way it is.
‘I watched our 9iar team struggle through games week after week but they always won when it mattered,

This team can play the way they did on Wednesday but ask them to do that when everything is on the line and they simply can’t. How many more seasons do we need to accept that?

Players like Tav should have been phased out and replaced at least 1 season ago.

Your final point is definitely true in the past but that has now changed,
I think we have the makings of a very exciting team but again, I don’t believe we are capable of winning a league as long as we rely on the same senior players. If you can remember go back to the first game this season and work forward,

I’ll guarantee at least 90% of the goals we conceded were out and out cluster %^*& mistakes by any number of our midfield, back 4 and GK,

“Subjected to” is an absolutely ridiculous way to describe Tav and his contributions for us.

I think Beale will be looking to bring in another RB to give Tav some competition next season but Tav will start as first choice and it will be his shirt to lose.

Tav hasn’t been great this season but his numbers are still absolutely ridiculous and it’s difficult to justify wanting him dropped.

Tav is very much one of those players that people won’t realise what we have until he’s not here anymore.

I think you'll be in for a surprise if you expect players like Tav or Goldson to be phased out.
Mate, I sincerely hope they are, I want the manager to take this team onto the next level. If Tav and Goldson continue to form the core of this Rangers team, then other than the odd exception, the last cup final will be the norm, as it has been for years now.

You may well be correct and maybe Beale can finally get them winning the games that matter, either way, I hope one of us is correct.

I would add that under Gio he was hamstrung and under Beale he’s only now getting further up the park, more so depending on who plays in midfield. As we seen the other night with Jack offering security and allowing movement.

Perhaps if we had a more settled and secure team elsewhere I’d see him differently, but this season I just see a guy declining and unless it’s through injury and can be fixed I don’t see a return to the roving style we became accustomed too.

“Subjected to” is an absolutely ridiculous way to describe Tav and his contributions for us.

I think Beale will be looking to bring in another RB to give Tav some competition next season but Tav will start as first choice and it will be his shirt to lose.

Tav hasn’t been great this season but his numbers are still absolutely ridiculous and it’s difficult to justify wanting him dropped.

Tav is very much one of those players that people won’t realise what we have until he’s not here anymore.
I didn’t say something subjected to in reference to his career with us, I said it in reference to the next 3 seasons given I think he’s in decline so imo it’s valid.

The way Tav looks after himself and his general fitness and athleticism, id fully expect him to be as effective at 34 as he is now.

Think your being incredibly harsh saying we are being "subjected" to a guy whos numbers, even this season, speak for themselves.

If your greater point is that he should have a challenger and not be guaranteed his position, then i think thats fair. I hate seeing anyone guaranteed a game. Its not healthy. Its up to Devine to prove he can take his jersey though. Same goes for anyone else we bring in who plays RB.
Perfectly put pal

I didn’t say something subjected to in reference to his career with us, I said it in reference to the next 3 seasons given I think he’s in decline so imo it’s valid.

The guy definitely hasn’t been at his best this season and I think competition for his spot would do him good but his goal and assist contributions would be almost impossible to replace.

The guy almost guarantees about 25 goals and/or assists every year so being subjected to that level of performance might not be that bad.

Back