Tav Free Kick at the End

Some folks saying we haven't a decent alternative if we drop Tav, we will never know because no one else gets a chance, i would like to see Polster or Flanagan get the nod for a few weeks Tav needs to find the hunger and confidence and making high profile errors in the spotlight does not aid that.

I agree with the OP about who should have taken it, it was a Barasic area of the field and especially given how vitally decisive the Big Man has been under pressure in these moments he should have been given the nod.
Tav may have wanted to redeem his poor game, but as a captain, it is his responsibility to look out for the team and not himself.
I was actually pretty pissed off when Tav sent Borna away.

Our manager was the world's worst for that as a player - classic example being the game he slipped and let Demba Ba in to score for Chelsea. He the spent the entire second half shooting from anywhere to try and redeem himself, instead of just calming down and playing his normal game.

Granted, he was also good enough that he really could pull off the Roy of the Rovers stuff sometimes...

Sometimes when he's having a stinker it's best to focus on keeping it simple and making sure he makes no other silly mistakes, instead he tries too hard at times to make amends and only ends up making it worse.

There is a constant regurgitation of a "strip the captaincy from" then insert current name threads.

The people's choices of Ryan Jack and/or Steven Davis would also get slaughtered time and again if they gave a sub par performance.

Tavernier is not on form at the moment but tried to lead by example in taking the free kick, but unfortunately that, in hindsight, was the wrong decision to make.
Jack hardly ever gives a below par performance, he is ultra consistent and he would be my choice.

Two very poor performances recently aside the free kick at the last minute today says a lot about Tav. Barasic wants it, Tav sends him away knowing that it is on Barasic's side (left footed) and he has been deadly from similar range. Tav knows he himself is not scoring/shooting from there and will have to put in a cross on a day that his deliveries have been terrible. Selfishly put himself before the team, denying us our best chance of scoring to win the game in the last minute. Does not deserve to be captain for this as much if not more than for poor performances. Davis should be our captain.
Any, and mean ANY, player who left the club in 2012 after we got kicked out the league does not deserve to be anywhere near the captain’s armband

Yeah and they also took into account his 50+ goals and 70 odd assists.

Ffs man.
Well sell him as a fucking winger then. I hate this goals and assists pish aye he set up 2 n scored one in per say a 6-0 doing of hibs. Very good plays hearts n drops 2 points plays young boys drops 3 points goals and assists against no lady's front bottom doesn't cut it for me when you are being an absolute bombscare n single handedly costing us points. Where did his 500 goals and assists get us yesterday?

I like Tav but let's be honest he needs about 20 efforts to deliver 2 good crosses. He's finally being shown up by Barisic, who to me is the best crosser in the SPL.

Not to mention he's now being found out without a Candeias and Jack he's being exposed to how many errors defensively he's making.

Tavs also had a relatively solid frame to work with, Candeias ahead of him last season with Jack to help, Goldson who's always playing beside him. This season swap Arfield for Candeias.

Borna had rotating LCB to work with and he was always getting rotated himself. Also Kent who doesn't help as much defensively as Candeias or Arfield do. And he still doesn't make absolute howlers, has he even made a complete howler yet.

Maybe our level has increased and Tav can't match it.

I like Tav but let's be honest he needs about 20 efforts to deliver 2 good crosses. He's finally being shown up by Barisic, who to me is the best crosser in the SPL.

Not to mention he's now being found out without a Candeias and Jack he's being exposed to how many errors defensively he's making.

Tavs also had a relatively solid frame to work with, Candeias ahead of him last season with Jack to help, Goldson who's always playing beside him. This season swap Arfield for Candeias.

Borna had rotating LCB to work with and he was always getting rotated himself. Also Kent who doesn't help as much defensively as Candeias or Arfield do. And he still doesn't make absolute howlers, has he even made a complete howler yet.

Maybe our level has increased and Tav can't match it.
Up to the weekend fixtures ................

you're going to get pelters for critising Gerrard but i full agree, whenever we are needing a goal he tends to be sittting back in his chair slumped without an idea of what to do, if im a player and we are struggling and look to the bench and see the manager sitting down in the dugout it wouldnt exactly fill me with confidence
If a player needs his manager to be jumping up and down on the touch line or has to look over to him for inspiration and confidence in the first place then I'd suggest he's at the wrong club.

Oh ffs,you are so pathetic.
But,but he takes set pieces:rolleyes:

I’d rather look at stats in the correct context though, it makes more sense that way and gives a better look at the overall picture. Your successful crosses are much more likely to be higher if you’re taking all the set pieces for a side who get a larger percentage of set pieces. That somewhat masks the issue of how his crossing from open play has been largely poor this season, but you clearly trotted that stat as some sort of counter argument to that.

But yeah pal you got it, I’m pathetic for not just looking at the number and accepting it like a blinded wee fanboy. The increasing urge to trot out stats like baseball fans is one of the worst things about modern football fans, especially when statistics often don’t tell the full story and thus can be misleading.

If Tav stays in that team our central defenders will be expecting a mistake going too far over to cover him and be out of position costing more goals. He needs dropped

I knew how the cross was going to play out as soon as Tavernier was standing over it.

Tavenier is playing like a man who's lost confidence in himself, i think he's started off and continued in a vein of very poor form, and has not recovered from it as yet.I think S.G.should let him step down to the bench for 2 or 3 games, as i don't think continually playing him is going to resolve the problem.
Ive watched our team for over 75 yrs.and i don't ever recall a right back of ours, especially a Captain of the team Make as many crucial miistakes, that have landed up costing us in important games.
I like most fans like Tav.but he's not a natural fullback or a Rangers captain.That's just an oid fans opinion.

Up to the weekend fixtures ................

What's the criteria for a successful cross? In the danger area or met a Head?

Because the majority I see are over hit to the far corner of the 6 yard box and then runs out of play.

Yet I see Borna delivering perfect balls to Katic and Goldson Yesterday.

I'll take Borna everyday of the week.

We need a guy who when chances are limited will hit the target not some guy needing 20/30 efforts to bang up his succession rate.

I’d rather look at stats in the correct context though, it makes more sense that way and gives a better look at the overall picture. Your successful crosses are much more likely to be higher if you’re taking all the set pieces for a side who get a larger percentage of set pieces. That somewhat masks the issue of how his crossing from open play has been largely poor this season, but you clearly trotted that stat as some sort of counter argument to that.

But yeah pal you got it, I’m pathetic for not just looking at the number and accepting it like a blinded wee fanboy. The increasing urge to trot out stats like baseball fans is one of the worst things about modern football fans, especially when statistics often don’t tell the full story and thus can be misleading.

Why continually put over high cross'es when weve not got a player to get on rhe end if them.I just don't see the point.? Stupid.

Two very poor performances recently aside the free kick at the last minute today says a lot about Tav. Barasic wants it, Tav sends him away knowing that it is on Barasic's side (left footed) and he has been deadly from similar range. Tav knows he himself is not scoring/shooting from there and will have to put in a cross on a day that his deliveries have been terrible. Selfishly put himself before the team, denying us our best chance of scoring to win the game in the last minute. Does not deserve to be captain for this as much if not more than for poor performances. Davis should be our captain.

Utter horseshit. If he hadn't taken it this exact same thread would've been created saying "Our so called captain shites himself and hides when we need him to step up more, does not deserve to be captain for this."

I would remove Tav from Freekicks and Penalties just now. He seems to not be there, I noticed it in the first few games this season. He just doesn't seem 100% focused. Not sure if he is missing the link up play with Candieas or not.

What's the criteria for a successful cross? In the danger area or met a Head?

Because the majority I see are over hit to the far corner of the 6 yard box and then runs out of play.

Yet I see Borna delivering perfect balls to Katic and Goldson Yesterday.

I'll take Borna everyday of the week.

We need a guy who when chances are limited will hit the target not some guy needing 20/30 efforts to bang up his succession rate.
You said Barisic is the best crosser in the league,he is quite clearly not.

I would remove Tav from Freekicks and Penalties just now. He seems to not be there, I noticed it in the first few games this season. He just doesn't seem 100% focused. Not sure if he is missing the link up play with Candieas or not.
I’d remove him from the starting 11.....I hope Flanagan gets match fit ASAP!

Does my head in that someone doesn't tell him to get out the way. Every single cross he put in to the box today was awful.
Yes but he hit in lots of crosses against Hamilton at home in a dominating display.
You said Barisic is the best crosser in the league,he is quite clearly not.
Erm I asked you under what criteria is the success rate, you haven't answered.

See I think these stats are skewed by Tav performing well when we dominate against dug meat teams. Yet when it's the big matches he's utter sh*te.

He can whip in 30 odd crosses v Hamiltons where he has time and space and his succession rate spikes but what's he done in the important matches, gave away goals and put in sh*te delivery. That's where it matters.

Borna might put in less crosses (and this is a guy who's got more selfish players on his side) but I bet his accuracy is superior, infact it was last season, most accurate in crossing. The stats are on a thread about Tav putting to bed he's a bad defender

Yes but he hit in lots of crosses against Hamilton at home in a dominating display.

Erm I asked you under what criteria is the success rate, you haven't answered.

See I think these stats are skewed by Tav performing well when we dominate against dug meat teams. Yet when it's the big matches he's utter sh*te.

He can whip in 30 odd crosses v Hamiltons where he has time and space and his succession rate spikes but what's he done in the important matches, gave away goals and put in sh*te delivery. That's where it matters.

Borna might put in less crosses (and this is a guy who's got more selfish players on his side) but I bet his accuracy is superior, infact it was last season, most accurate in crossing. The stats are on a thread about Tav putting to bed he's a bad defender
Contact the SPFL Statzone guys for what they determine as successful.

Borna puts in less crosses because Borna checks back nearly every other time,even against’dug meat’ teams like Hamilton.

Maybe Tavenier should take the easy way out and pass it back like Borna rather than try and make things happen?

Borna puts in less crosses because Borna checks back nearly every other time,even against’dug meat’ teams like Hamilton.

Maybe Tavenier should take the easy way out and pass it back like Borna rather than try and make things happen?
No Borna does that because he has a brain, tell ye what give me some examples of Borna doing something stupid against good or bad teams that have put us in the sh*te, costing us points. And I'll then meet that and then some with Tavs.

Maybe he should, if he did that then Young Boys wouldn’t have had a final attack and he wouldn’t have gifted them yet another goal.

No Borna does that because he has a brain, tell ye what give me some examples of Borna doing something stupid against good or bad teams that have put us in the sh*te, costing us points. And I'll then meet that and then some with Tavs.
No,Borna has it in him to take a player on,like he did against us,but for some reason he doesn’t do it often enough,even against’dug meat’ teams.......but that’s because he has a brain!

We do, we have 2 players who can play right back and who can defend, we can't keep playing Tav just now his confidence is shot to pieces, he is supposed to be leading the team but he looks like he wants the ground to open and swallow him up

Its tough to see but a couple of games out the team may do him some good

Utter pish.

Tav has been poor lately and made some high profile mistakes, but one thing he never does is hide.

Also, who are the two alternatives that can defend? Flanagan and Polster? There's obviously a reason Polster can rarely make the 18 and Flanagan has had a good few howlers as well...but typical FF, he's all of a sudden Cafu.

No,Borna has it in him to take a player on,like he did against us,but for some reason he doesn’t do it often enough,even against’dug meat’ teams.......but that’s because he has a brain!
Doesn't mean he has to do it every time and every game ffs he retains possession used his team mates for space and then can whip in a ball, past the first man unlike some by the way.

Uses his noggin and treats teams with a level of respect, that's why he's not dropped us any points this season.

Who knows if he had that last freekick we could have came away with 3 points Yesterday.

Tav had a howler yesterday and in view of the position he should have deferred to Borna. It was just right for him to have a pop at it and even if doesn’t go in anything could have happened if he bangs it with his usual aplomb.

Why would you take away set pieces,they are part of the game?
OK then I apologise. How many from open play come off for him? Never ever gets it past the 1st defender unless it's one that floats to the other side of the 18 bypassing everyone in the process I'd say 1 in 5 are decent.

Utter pish.

Tav has been poor lately and made some high profile mistakes, but one thing he never does is hide.

Also, who are the two alternatives that can defend? Flanagan and Polster? There's obviously a reason Polster can rarely make the 18 and Flanagan has had a good few howlers as well...but typical FF, he's all of a sudden Cafu.
No one said they were cafu just that they can defend better than Tav which tbh ye can't really argue. I was missing a Tav thread without your input tbh. =D.

you're going to get pelters for critising Gerrard but i full agree, whenever we are needing a goal he tends to be sittting back in his chair slumped without an idea of what to do, if im a player and we are struggling and look to the bench and see the manager sitting down in the dugout it wouldnt exactly fill me with confidence
If I may make a minor criticism it's that I think he's being loyal to too many players,to me that team should've been freshened up Arfield shouldn't start,not after that journey and bringing in Stewart may have given us the spark,as for Tav as much as I hate to criticize, he's been off the boil for a while and needs rested and I'd go with Flanagan,maybe not as productive going forward,but certainly more solid. Maybe the gaffer feels he's no one that can drive forward the same as Tav does.

Well sell him as a fucking winger then. I hate this goals and assists pish aye he set up 2 n scored one in per say a 6-0 doing of hibs. Very good plays hearts n drops 2 points plays young boys drops 3 points goals and assists against no lady's front bottom doesn't cut it for me when you are being an absolute bombscare n single handedly costing us points. Where did his 500 goals and assists get us yesterday?
What the %^*& are you slebbering about. The other clown was saying he's worth nothing, i used his stats to argue otherwise.

We’re heading to an unforgiving European environment on Thursday, and a semi at Hampden coming up - two proven occasions when Tav sells the jerseys. The press are now on his case and I’ve a feeling the day of reckoning is coming. Pray he comes through it but, sadly, can see no grounds for optimism

What the %^*& are you slebbering about. The other clown was saying he's worth nothing, i used his stats to argue otherwise.
What I'm saying is the games that he's mostly contributing in we have already won. So crack in with the assist Stat. Although your gonna do well to sell a defender on assists. How much would you say he's worth?

Ps it's 36 goals btw so your just making up random as %^*& figures.

What I'm saying is the games that he's mostly contributing in we have already won. So crack in with the assist Stat. Although your gonna do well to sell a defender on assists. How much would you say he's worth?

Ps it's 36 goals btw so your just making up random as %^*& figures.
Making up numbers - Says the fud who came out with "I'd say 1 in 5 are decent" a few posts ago.

He's mostly contributing in games we've already won? You really are full of shit there.

And what's he worth? Not really my line of work valuing footballers, but more than nothing I'd suggest.

Ps it's 46 goals btw so once again full of shit and making up numbers.

Last edited:
Making up numbers - Says the fud who came out with "I'd say 1 in 5 are decent" a few posts ago.

He's mostly contributing in games we've already won? You really are full of shit there.

And what's he worth? Not really my line of work valuing footballers, but more than nothing I'd suggest.

Ps it's 46 goals btw so once again full of shit and making up numbers.
Who ye calling a fud fucking idiot. I'm surprised you don't know what he's worth as you seem to think you know everything else ya clown. A suppose his Wikipedia page is talking shit then where I got the numbers I'd advise you go change that for everyone else. It's amazing that you claim he has bang on 70 assists aswell.

Im late to the party...

1. Was that a direct free kick that Barasic could have taken (and at least got on target, if not scored). If it was given as indirect I retract question.

2. Why cant the management see that Tavs free kicks from outside box were amazing the first year he signed for us then shit since. I dont know what happened since coming to Premiership from Championship but his direct free kicks havent been great and crossing was off yesterday.

Someone else should take the "indirect / cross" ones, Davis yesterday for example, since he was pinging balls to Barasic feet directly with pinpoint precision all game.

If I seen SG slumped in the dougou id think I’m letting This guy down with my poor play and up it to get him buzzing and giving me hugs at the end of the match I had helped my team win.
I guess we are all individual and motivated in other ways.

Who ye calling a fud fucking idiot. I'm surprised you don't know what he's worth as you seem to think you know everything else ya clown. A suppose his Wikipedia page is talking shit then where I got the numbers I'd advise you go change that for everyone else. It's amazing that you claim he has bang on 70 assists aswell.
You.

Yes it is wrong, not unusual really for wiki to be wrong is it? You taking wiki as gospel reiterates you're arguing on an empty heed.

No I won't be changing it.

Very sure of yourself too.

Only one clown here. To summarise you are full of shit.

You.

Yes it is wrong, not unusual really for wiki to be wrong is it? You taking wiki as gospel reiterates you're arguing on an empty heed.

No I won't be changing it.

Very sure of yourself too.

Only one clown here. To summarise you are full of shit.
You painting Tav to be a messiah makes you full of shit. Tell me where his goals and assists got us yesterday which is what we are talking about. Nah you just want to be some fucking Stat daddy but but but he's got 700 assists n 50+ goals. I never look at Wikipedia tbh so couldn't tell you whether it's right or wrong. Bottom line stands he fucks up n costs points when the cards are down nae amount of goals n assists will change that. If you are blind I'll accept that you can't see it. He's been costing us defensively for fucking seasons the fact he didn't have candieas or Jack to cover him yesterday shows just how defensively bad and frail he is.

Back