Tav in need of a rest or more competition needed?

Baku Bear

Wonder if those penalty misses have got to him over the past few weeks. It's been a long season for him but he hasn't really looked right since the turn of the year for me. Anyone tempted to put Polster in for a game, see what he has to offer and let Tav refocus & know there's someone there to take his place if he isn't hitting the heights?

Put in a guy we know nothing about? Hope you don’t mean against Kilmarnock against Jordan Jones.
Yeah Tav needs a rest, Gerrard said it a few times.
Yeah he needs competition as well.
He’s still by a distance one of our best players

Wonder if those penalty misses have got to him over the past few weeks. It's been a long season for him but he hasn't really looked right since the turn of the year for me. Anyone tempted to put Polster in for a game, see what he has to offer and let Tav refocus & know there's someone there to take his place if he isn't hitting the heights?
Nothing has got to him he is just an ordinary player who is terrible as a defender not just my opinion.

Nothing has got to him he is just an ordinary player who is terrible as a defender not just my opinion.

You will get abuse for that but you are spot on.

Going forward he is excellent but defensively he is pretty dross. A right back who can make that d1ck Stokes look like Messi in a cup final, should have been fined for that performance.

Would much rather sell him to raise few quid than Morelos who actually is invaluable to us. Tav isnt.

Still too many with their eyes closed and fingers in their ears going "Nah-nah-nah, not listening" about Tav.
The manager last night, finally, came out about the elephant in the room "we lack leadership". Who do you think that was mainly aimed at?

I don’t think it’s either OP.

We are a limited trick pony. Give the ball to Tav, he gets it to Morelos and Alfredo scores.

Because we are so reliant on these players, if Tav doesn’t assist and if Morelos doesn’t score - we normally drop points. Therefore these players often get the wrath of the fans.

Other key “attacking” players like Barisic, Candeias, Kent, Middleton, Davis were all poor yesterday and created nothing.
This is where we are failing and is where we’ve failed numerous times this season.

The amount of games where we’ve dropped points or had poor cup games and haven’t even looked like scoring is simply criminal!

Everyone knows he is not the best defender in the world, can be great going forward. However Candeias does not help at all, Candeias cannot “get rid of the ball quick enough”. Dora’s t give Tav time to get into position, doesn’t take a man on and shirks responsibly.

Tav has a great old form game, defensively and aattacking, but Candeias played well that day as well.

Definitely never captain material, but then again apart from McGregor no one in the team is Captain material

Some of his duties need distributed.
He doesn’t need to hit every free kick.
He doesn’t need to take every throw in.
Nothing annoys me more when someone wants to take a quick throw, he tells them to wait, he fanny arses about as there’s no option anymore, and the ball is just tossed to anyone.

Still too many with their eyes closed and fingers in their ears going "Nah-nah-nah, not listening" about Tav.
The manager last night, finally, came out about the elephant in the room "we lack leadership". Who do you think that was mainly aimed at?

A pretty extraordinary turn of phrase, aimed at the leader on the pitch - but it was SG who made him captain, and presumably he will keep that role.

We were off most of January. He is one of our best players, still one of our most creative. Dropping him makes no sense. We need to play our best eleven as often as possible.

I rate Tav but two things , when he is bad he is really bad and he isn't a leader on the park.

Strangely enough , and this isn't a dig at Wes who had a good game , I thought we missed McGregor's presence today .

What I seen yesterday was players passing the buck,Tav wasn’t one of them.
It’s a sad day when you’re relying on our RIGHT BACK to create everything,our midfield and attack need to step up and do more.
I’ll tell you what , I wish barasic was half as good , what a difference it would make to opening teams up.If they had something else to think about and didn’t need to just defend down one side .

One of the only players who actually wanted the ball in that second half. He didn’t have a good game but never hid unlike many many others in that team

An average player and showed today he isn’t a leader we needed. Barry Ferguson attitude out there to try and sneak a win. They were too frightening again and we are lucky we never lost.

I rate Tav but two things , when he is bad he is really bad and he isn't a leader on the park.

Strangely enough , and this isn't a dig at Wes who had a good game , I thought we missed McGregor's presence today .
Agree with you about Tav but not sure what you mean about McGregor.

You will get abuse for that but you are spot on.

Going forward he is excellent but defensively he is pretty dross. A right back who can make that d1ck Stokes look like Messi in a cup final, should have been fined for that performance.

Would much rather sell him to raise few quid than Morelos who actually is invaluable to us. Tav isnt.
I still solely blame him for that cup final . That's how I'll never forgive him , that and the fact he is very average at best

I just think McGregor is a leader and offers a greater presence on the park that spreads throughout the team .

Not calling for him to be Captain , just an observation .
Fair enough but for me Wes played well yesterday. Not saying hes a better keeper but its obvious who we missed yesterday and it wasnt the keeper.

Fair enough but for me Wes played well yesterday. Not saying hes a better keeper but its obvious who we missed yesterday and it wasnt the keeper.
I agree he played well and I'm not having a go , it's a generalisation about what McGregor offers on the park other than being a very good keeper.

Wes is also a decent keeper but he doesn't have the presence of McGregor , that's all I'm saying .

In fact ,there aren't many players in our team who I would class as Captain material and if McGregor wasn't a keeper I would be inclined to give it to him .

No tav needs dropped

So our right back is responsible for our failure to score yesterday?

We have bigger problems, like a host of midfielders incapable of creating chances or scoring goals, each and every one of them content to play the safe ball. We also talk about a front 3 but in reality we only have one player who scores with any regularity. And our 2 big January signings haven't hit the ground running.

Tav had an off day, but he never hides, covers more ground that any other player, and has had a great season.

I agree he played well and I'm not having a go , it's a generalisation about what McGregor offers on the park other than being a very good keeper.

Wes is also a decent keeper but he doesn't have the presence of McGregor , that's all I'm saying .

In fact ,there aren't many players in our team who I would class as Captain material and if McGregor wasn't a keeper I would be inclined to give it to him .
Its been a while since we had anyone who is imo captain material. Tav does seem to be popular among the squad but hes not in the same mould as a Ferguson or a Greig when it comes to leadership on the park. That said im old fashioned in the sense that the team on the park shouldn't need to be lead by one guy, they should be smart enough to know what they need to do.

Its been a while since we had anyone who is imo captain material. Tav does seem to be popular among the squad but hes not in the same mould as a Ferguson or a Greig when it comes to leadership on the park. That said im old fashioned in the sense that the team on the park shouldn't need to be lead by one guy, they should be smart enough to know what they need to do.
You may have a point but I always like a strong leader on the park , just my preference.

I don't think they make them like Greig anymore but even by today's standards, Tav isn't it.

Rest might do him good, but he has days like that too often.

Good player at times not a Rangers captain though. Apart from McGregor there isn't a leader in that dressing room

I think we would miss him if he wasn't there. He contributes a lot to creating chances. I've no idea what Polster is like, but I'd be surprised if he chipped in with as many goals and assists as Tav.

Tavis our second best player by a mile after morelos.
He is our second best asset for sell on value.
And I don't get this he can't defend nonsense either.
He has improved season after season and is the best right back in the country.

Tav gets some amount of stick on here for a player who has dug us out a hole many times with an excellent assist or a goal.

He was average yesterday but we shouldn't be relying on a right back to pull something out the hat constantly.

I see the usual "he isnt captain material" brigade are out. Whereas I see a player who is always talking & instructing others, has stepped up to take pens in pressure situations & has delivered bits of magic from an attacking sense numerous times in games when we need it.

Thats before you go into the fact that the armband actually makes very little difference. Its not like getting the armband would make McGregor anymore passionate or have a bigger presence in games. He does this regardless.

He's the right back, he has more goals and assists than all our other players apart from Alfie what are people genuinely wanting him to do?

Thought the team as a whole lacked energy yesterday and more noticeable in Tav as he generally covers more ground than anyone.
I certainly wouldn’t be dropping him it’s up to others to create when teams are set up to nullify his threat.

Some of his duties need distributed.
He doesn’t need to hit every free kick.
He doesn’t need to take every throw in.
Nothing annoys me more when someone wants to take a quick throw, he tells them to wait, he fanny arses about as there’s no option anymore, and the ball is just tossed to anyone.

He didnt. Barisic took plenty of corners amd free kicks.

Yip, I noticed that.

To my recollection, that’s the first time he has criticized Tavernier. Tav has been way of the boil for months. Taking penalties and scoring most of them has given him an out and covered up some of this with a lot of people. You’ll hear talk about the number of goals he’s scored. All that shows is he can take a decent penalty.

If I’m not mistaken he’s been involved in more goals than anyone else in the league this season with a combination of Goals and assists.
Hardly “bang average”

With all due respect mate, that stat is heavily skewed by the small matter of 10 penalties. I think by and large Taverniers done very well, but I don’t think that stat can be used without some context.

I'd say it was clearly aimed at the guys who'd been giving a chance and failed to take it.

But of course, another Tav bashing thread sounds good instead.

I still solely blame him for that cup final . That's how I'll never forgive him , that and the fact he is very average at best

Then you seriously need to get a grip.

I'd say it was clearly aimed at the guys who'd been giving a chance and failed to take it.

Or I seriously don't accept mediocrity as a rangers fan .

Then you seriously need to get a grip.

"There's a few people getting too comfortable in that dressing room,"
"I seem to be doing it quite a lot" - talking about having to repeatedly tell it like it is.
Both of those statements are definitely about regulars.

"We had no leadership across the board, no Rangers." The manager is saying he wants leaders, if the captain isn't there to lead what's he there for?

It's not about Tav bashing, DT it's about our regular shitshows caused by players the manager needs to set an example repeatedly taking the easy way out. To deny Tav is regularly one of them is wilful delusion.
Hopefully, the manager will now make a few regulars uncomfortable.

He’s our 2nd best player and when the shit hits the fan and everyone hides all onus goes on a full back to create and get the team over the line. He never ever hides.

It’s scandalous, Davis was doing a Davis mccrorie at least tried to drive something and everyone else was creaming themselves over kamaras magnificent pass backing quality.

He needs a break, but from the rest of his team mates actually taking some fucking pressure of him rather than hiding.

I'm pretty sure the manager will be happy with his captain scoring and assisting goals every other game.

Bash away though.

If Tavernier is our main man out with Morelos then we must be really bad. Tavernier is the worst Rangers captain since Craig Paterson in the 1980’s and I would grab £8m in a minute for this guy.

If Tavernier is our main man out with Morelos then we must be really bad. Tavernier is the worst Rangers captain since Craig Paterson in the 1980’s and I would grab £8m in a minute for this guy.

LOL. I'd have Tav before Wallace & McCulloch & he has probably had a bigger impact than Bocanegra

I’d take Tav before Wallace and McCulloch. He’s not the best leader though. He’s a weird player at times too, one of the worst corner kick takers I’ve ever seen, and yet his crossing from open player can be of an excellent standard.

He creates a lot thanks to his ability to drive forward and cross. Wish people would stop using his goal stats to big him up though. 11 or 12 goals sounds great, when you realise all but 1 are penalties, it’s not particularly impressive.

Back