Tav - Lets try and stay positive

Some of the stuff on here isn't far off. I can understand the give him rest for his own sake shouts, but "strip him of the armband" and "get him punted" stuff is a fvcking disgrace. This guy isn't perfect, if he was he'd be elsewhere. But he isn't making mistakes on purpose, he isn't lacking effort. He pulls on our shirt every goddam week and gives his all. The guy has been a terrific servant for us since he signed and deserves our fvcking support!! He wears our jersey, lives his life properly and is a credit to us. He is suffering a dip in form. The quickest way to get that form back is him receiving unconditional SUPPORT from within the club and probably even more importantly from us! Yes, it cant go on forever, and it wont. But ffs, he's the rangers captain - get behind the man and lets all pull in the same direction!
Well said mate, i've been a regular at Ibrox for over 30 years, seen some true world class players over the years, can't think of one player who didn't have a bad spell, or make a mistake.

The Hutton of 2007/8 was certainly superior to Tav. Saying that it took Hutton a while to reach that level and he was on the receiving end of some terrible stick from the stands too.
Granted I'll give you that. Only thing going for him by the the time he was the same age he was hands down the better defender imo also.

I’m a big fan of Tav and always try my best at defending him.

Yes he’s cost us a few big goals this season but some of the absolute nonsense I’ve read on here about him is absolutely dreadful.

People need to try and remember last season how good he was for us and the majority of our good attacking play came from him.

He seems to be going through some sort of mental block at the moment. Maybe instead of the “strip him of the captaincy” brigade continue to hound him, why don’t we try and give him full support as we all know he has the ability to turn it round.

You don’t just become shite over night

And let’s be honest if our Managers sticking by him I think we should maybe at least give it a go

There is only so long you can live off your scrapbook mate.

SG needs to take him out the firing line for his own good.

Imagine he has another howler on Thursday? Can SG be 100% confident that won’t happen?

Personally I’d drop him and rest him.

If he plays though I’m behind him as always, sadly that’s not the case for a huge number at Ibrox.

I’ve generally always avoided criticising Tav, however the costly errors are getting beyond a joke and his general form is nowhere near the level it was last season. Is dropping him the answer? I really don’t know.

The big issue is that we will all be back discussing this same topic again in a few weeks / months after his next howler that costs us. It’s not even a matter of if it happens again, but when it happens again.

He is far too sloppy defensively and typically always flaps on the big stage.

I’ve generally always avoided criticising Tav, however the costly errors are getting beyond a joke and his general form is nowhere near the level it was last season. Is dropping him the answer? I really don’t know.

The big issue is that we will all be back discussing this same topic again in a few weeks / months after his next howler that costs us. It’s not even a matter of if it happens again, but when it happens again.

He is far too sloppy defensively and typically always flaps on the big stage.

Jesus Christ.

I like Tav but I’m sorry, how he played last season means nothing this season, it doesn’t put points on the board.

The fact is, he has single-handily cost us points on numerous occasions this seasons and he needs dropped.

If Tav was a product of HTC/our academy, performing the way he is with a shite tonne of assists and goals, but with some key lapses at key moments, I would suggest he would be getting an easier ride.

The only point in this debate imo is imagine barisic or katic made the mistakes tav has? they would have been straight out the team and therefore so should tav. he is offering nothing going forward atm anyway

The only point in this debate imo is imagine barisic or katic made the mistakes tav has? they would have been straight out the team and therefore so should tav. he is offering nothing going forward atm anyway
Katic has Edmundson and Helander to replace him, both have looked excellent to be fair.

Speaking of Katic, I thought he struggled badly against hearts and I expect Helander to start on Thursday.

Tavernier is the captain, dropping him is more of a problem due to us not having a better option in that area.

If Tav was a product of HTC/our academy, performing the way he is with a shite tonne of assists and goals, but with some key lapses at key moments, I would suggest he would be getting an easier ride.

Have to be honest mate, I truly think he already gets a FAR easier ride than most. I genuinely feel like I have to tread carefully on the subject of Tav because the same people go absolutely off their rocker any time you start to discuss his gaffs, particularly his high profile gaffs over 4 years here, it’s like you’ve personally insulted a member of their family. Even on here there’s a suggestion of “hatred” and people somehow revelling in him costing us games, which is just utter nonsense. I actually dread to think of the level of venom we’d be seeing if Barisic has made those errors, even when Barisic was getting through games without making any mistakes he was still taking an incredible amount of heat. Likewise Flanagan was described as one of the worst defender’s we’ve ever had at the club only last season.

Tav was brilliant last season and aside from that ridiculous gaff at the piggery I actually thought he was great defensively too and seemed to have shown real improvement, he was easily our best player alongside Morelos. But all in all he is fiercely protected here and put on a pedestal in a way few who’ve won nothing of significance for the club are, and even fewer who’ve made the number of gaffs he’s made in his time here, a decent number of them fairly high profile too.

I’ve even seen people talk about 4 years of solid service and good form, which to me personally is crazy talk because he’s had numerous really poor performances over his tenure here and last season is the one season where I really felt he brought it all together and looked like a real top level player. But out with that, his Rangers career is littered with poor defending, thankfully for us and for him it’s been somewhat offset by some excellent attacking play, but when both facets of his game go to shit there really aren’t any positives to be taking.

Jesus Christ.

He got absolutely tore for arse paper in the SC final against Hibs.

He played his part in the various absolute hammerings we got from the filth in 16/17 and 17/18.

He gifted the filth a late winner at the piggery last season in a game we needed something from.

He gifted Young Boys a win in a game we deserved at least a point from.

He just gifted Hearts a goal that fûcked us off top spot after one game.

That’s just costly mistakes off the top of my head in big occasions. There’s been quite a few in lesser profile games and games in which the final outcome perhaps didn’t have as big an impact because the filth were so far out of sight.

Unfortunately it’s got to the stage where you just know a high profile mistake is never too far away with Tav.

Yes he has contributed a lot going forward in terms of goals and assists, but even that side of his game has been off this season.

It’s the immaturity of the online fanbase that’s most eye opening.

So far this season on the very few occasions we haven’t won, I’ve read;

- Defoe can’t be relied upon.
- Tav should go back to England/Tav is the worst right back we’ve ever had.
- Aribo’s no better than Ejaria.
- Kamara’s a £50,000 footballer.
- Gerrard is a weak manager.
- We shouldn’t have kept Arfield this season.

There’s probably more, but when things don’t go well on the park more recently we’re absolutely the worst fans about.

Katic has Edmundson and Helander to replace him, both have looked excellent to be fair.

Speaking of Katic, I thought he struggled badly against hearts and I expect Helander to start on Thursday.

Tavernier is the captain, dropping him is more of a problem due to us not having a better option in that area.
Being captain doesn't make you immune from being dropped. Being captain doesn't make you the best player. Tav has been fkn awful for weeks and is the sole reason of us not being top of the Europa league group and top of the league. he 110% needs dropped. If Gerrard cant find a way to play without tav in the team then he shouldn't be a manager.

It's probably an accurate comparison to be fair. Flanagan has about the same forward mobility as a 49 year old!
Behave! I´m 49 and slower than a week in jail, even though i used to play as a right winger back in the day. Flanagan´s no speed merchant, but he´s not that slow.

Tav's key asset is that he has a good engine, never gets injured, and has some decent ability. Right now, he should be dropped because he is not performing and making really bad/ costly mistakes.

Gerrard keeping him captain, and Flano's injury, have complicated matters. But I maintain he is not a captain for Rangers - when Goldson joined he assured (or re-assured) Tav that he was good enough to play in the EPL, your captain needs to be told he's good enough.....mmmmm?

Dont know if its feasable but could maybe somebody like Gough who started as a right back and was also one of our best captains have a chat with him or would that make the situation worse?

At the beginning of last season, he was hitting all corners, free kicks etc and the majority were fucking awful. He was removed from them and he should be again.
His crossing accuracy is fucking woeful, he has the ability as well but time and time again he cant gets past the first man or fucks it was past the back post. He needs to do better simple as that. downright waste most of the time.

It’s the immaturity of the online fanbase that’s most eye opening.

So far this season on the very few occasions we haven’t won, I’ve read;

- Defoe can’t be relied upon.
- Tav should go back to England/Tav is the worst right back we’ve ever had.
- Aribo’s no better than Ejaria.
- Kamara’s a £50,000 footballer.
- Gerrard is a weak manager.
- We shouldn’t have kept Arfield this season.

There’s probably more, but when things don’t go well on the park more recently we’re absolutely the worst fans about.

- recall Ross McCrorie

The place goes into full meltdown mode.

Think there's been at least 10 threads on Tav alone since Sunday, but apparently he gets off lightly.

I hope he comes through this period an regains his confidence and style

he is usually the main man to drive us forward

think he should get back to basics
An try an relax more in possession

he’s had a poor first quarter of the season with regards to almost every mistake he’s made
Has cost us points or a victory

I’m a big fan of Tav and always try my best at defending him.

Yes he’s cost us a few big goals this season but some of the absolute nonsense I’ve read on here about him is absolutely dreadful.

People need to try and remember last season how good he was for us and the majority of our good attacking play came from him.

He seems to be going through some sort of mental block at the moment. Maybe instead of the “strip him of the captaincy” brigade continue to hound him, why don’t we try and give him full support as we all know he has the ability to turn it round.

You don’t just become shite over night

And let’s be honest if our Managers sticking by him I think we should maybe at least give it a go

Agreed. Despite how annoyed i was after the hearts game he will be getting my full support against Motherwell at home. Would never boo our players at a game.

Back