Tav looked so far off it today

Tav needs to have a seat on the bench for a few weeks beside McGregor. Wtf was that attempt from McGregor at the corner? That was a straightforward keeper's ball every day of the week. There was nothing hard to deal with about it. It was embarrassing. McGregor has been a great servant to the club but as far as I am concerned there is no room for sentiment. Same goes for Tav imo. We've got Scotland's number 2 goalie on the bench sitting beside the international team right back. If the guys in our team are not performing we should have no hesitation in dropping them.
McGregor's flap at that corner was reminiscent of Peter McCloy in the 80s when he was long past his best. Simply not good enough.

Bang on mate like Kent there has been something not right since the start. I wish the media guys would ask these questions.

I think with Kent he's just been carrying a hamstring injury all season, ending with it going last month.

A player like Kent playing with a dodgy hamstring is severely going to restrict is play which will logically affect his form.

I wouldn’t say he was woeful but he played a huge part in Hertz equaliser. Give away a silly free kick on 88th minute which was so naive. We end up giving away a corner from that & then he loses his man at the back post.

Patterson needs to come in permanently until his form dips.

Seemed to be 2nd to every ball, easily out muscled and skinned multiple times and absolutely woeful going forward. Looked nothing like himself in all honesty. If I was Nathan Patterson I'd be disappointed not to be in the team for Thursday after a performance like that from Tav.
I’m reposting this for those unable to parse a sentence or paragraph. There is nothing posted above by the OP intimating Tav was the “worst player on the park”. Nor did he post the Tav “missed several sitters” or “couldn’t deal with a cross ball”. The OP was purely about Tav’s performance (or lack of).
It Does my nut in on here when a post is made questioning A and people run about questioning B through Z. Start your own thread if that’s the case.
My opinion is Patterson should be starting but SG feels some loyalty to his Captain and maybe wants him to get up to speed.

There’s no polite way of saying this, but Patterson looks a far better option on current form. We won’t be able to keep the lad forever, so maybe we should enjoy him while we can. I don’t see him letting us restrict his development for much longer

On current form,if we had Patterson and Roofe playing ahead of Tav and Morelos, we would have won today. They’ve been miles off it for some time now. Morelos has somehow become a terrible finisher. He panics and sclaffs his shots and headers rarely hitting the target. He offers little movement and certainly seems to have even less pace than before. They both need a spell on the bench as we have better replacements waiting in the form of Patterson and Roofe. There is no sentimentality in football, and whatever has been done in the past, Captain or not, is meaningless to current form. Tav and Morelos have had plenty of time afforded to play through their poor form. Alas they haven’t managed it. It’s not that difficult a decision.

I genuinely think there are some folk who automatically want to blame Tavernier every time we don't win.

He wasn't great today, but his performance was nothing to do with us dropping points.

You could set you watch to certain posters coming on to slaughter him. Truffle Shuffle and Rangers1873. Every time without fail.

FWIW Tav was rotten today, but he wasn't the reason we dropped points. Him and Barisic didn't get forward much in the second half due to Hearts changing tactics and pushing their wide men further forward.

Couldn't argue if Patterson starts ahead of him in the next game or two but let's not pretend that he's Cafu either. He was terrible against Hibs and then again the first half for Scotland last week.

His crossing is abysmal, Patterson has 2 excellent assists recently vs hibs and for Scotland, on current form he should be our first choice right back

Patterson should’ve started . Tav needs to earn his place back , and again today he was off pace . Morelos’ lack of finishing cost us the points .Morelos needs a spell out the team . What does it say to ROOFE that again he doesn’t get to start . Seven points dropped against hearts , Utd and Motherwell . Basically the good work beating the peasants pissed up against the wall . We need to stop looking to the tims, stop shouting about 56 and get the hard work done

You do realise Roofe just arrived in the country after a long haul flight? That's the reason he wasn't played...

You could set you watch to certain posters coming on to slaughter him. Truffle Shuffle and Rangers1873. Every time without fail.

FWIW Tav was rotten today, but he wasn't the reason we dropped points. Him and Barisic didn't get forward much in the second half due to Hearts changing tactics and pushing their wide men further forward.

Couldn't argue if Patterson starts ahead of him in the next game or two but let's not pretend that he's Cafu either. He was terrible against Hibs and then again the first half for Scotland last week.
He was hardly terrible against hibs, he got an excellent assist for a goal ffs

Disagree, Balogun was the best defender. Tavernier gives away a stupid free kick, which leads to the corner and their goal.

Do you think it is coincidence we lose most goals from the right flank? That's where most teams target and get joy from.

Tav was stupid giving away that free kick but it did not lead to their goal, their goal came minutes later fs. Plenty of football in between that and a simple cross for McGregor to deal with.

We didn't lose the goal from the right flank either...

Tav was stupid giving away that free kick but it did not lead to their goal, their goal came minutes later fs. Plenty of football in between that and a simple cross for McGregor to deal with.

We didn't lose the goal from the right flank either...

We did

I’m not here to slaughter any player

But I believe some players are playing for sentimental reasons rather than form

Tav isn’t the worst offender but he certainly falls into that category and favouritism is something I am worried the manager has displayed before

Only my opinion but Patterson is by far the better option at this moment

He can at least cross a ball though, bar an excellent goal at St Johnstone Tav has been poor all season.
You’re basing his crossing on 2 assists. Against Hibs he hit the first man or over hit crosses numerous times especially in the first half.

Whilst you’re slating Tav for his crossing despite the dozens of assists he’s racked up over the seasons ….

You’re basing his crossing on 2 assists. Against Hibs he hit the first man or over hit crosses numerous times especially in the first half.

Whilst you’re slating Tav for his crossing despite the dozens of assists he’s racked up over the seasons ….
Tav has been excellent on assists over the years but at the moment he is horribly off form. Was 2 occasions in 2nd half today where he crossed the ball straight out for a throw in at opposite side of pitch.

Pair of you need to get a grip.

Actually embarrassed for you both.

How did the goal come from the right flank when it was a corner from the left? Lay aff the spice.

Where did it go after Greegs fluffed it?

Ans
The right flank

I’m not here to slaughter any player

But I believe some players are playing for sentimental reasons rather than form

Tav isn’t the worst offender but he certainly falls into that category and favouritism is something I am worried the manager has displayed before

Only my opinion but Patterson is by far the better option at this moment
Totally agree and I don’t want to be in a position where we lose Patterson due to the manager being too loyal to Tav

He is so naive sometimes.

Amateur giving away the free kick that lead to their goal and of course the goal itself came from his side (surprise surprise).

Also sick of him continually overhitting crosses ffs

It’s amazing how in a game where Morelos misses a literal open goal and about five minutes later McGregor punches a ball literally straight on to a Hearts player’s head to let him score, Tavernier is still somehow the one to blame for us not winning according to some absolute mentalists on here.

It’s amazing how in a game where Morelos misses a literal open goal and about five minutes later McGregor punches a ball literally straight on to a Hearts player’s head to let him score, Tavernier is still somehow the one to blame for us not winning according to some absolute mentalists on here.
I wouldn’t say he was to blame for the goal but his overall performance was poor and he deserves to be dropped for Thursday night

If you are of the view individual errors lead to outcome i.e making mention of McGregor and Morelos for incidents, then you’re kind of doing the exact same as people making mention of Tav though given the outcome as a result of his errors

Seriously, lay off the glue. Embarrassing yourself.

Try to debate without resorting to insults.
It only serves to cheapen your argument.

I'm not 'on' glue, nor as you suggested earlier 'legal highs'

Last edited:
So you’re blaming Tavernier for not predicting that McGregor would make a complete arse of it?

Sound.

The guy who headed home certainly appeared more switched on.

Today Tav gave away a naive and very costly free kick in the dying embers of the match that led to hearts goal.

He picked a ball up with his hands that Was still in play
He misplaced numerous passes
He hoofed the ball wildly out of play twice whilst attempting to cross into the box.
He ran over the ball dummying it allowing it to needlessly go out of play for a throw in to Hearts
He continually dives into tackles and gets skinned
And looks devoid of fitness and leadership

He is bringing nothing to the table at present

Last edited:

Tav had a complete shocker mate. Not blaming him for the result, as obviously watch happened at either end of the pitch with Morelos & McGregor had more effect on the scoreline, but Tav was ridiculously poor yesterday. Really hope Patterson comes in on Thursday.

Tavernier is missing Ryan Jack to cover him. Tavernier is not the root cause of our problems. It's the lack of familiarity in our midfield imo
His pass completion percentage this season and his cross conversion percentage is the worst in our squad. I'm not sure the inability to find a man is Ryan Jacks fault.

Rangers vs Hearts in the main stand. From where I was sitting he looked like the "worst player on the pitch" today.
Really..........out of 22 players not counting subs , your opinion is that Tav was the worst player on the pitch " your words "...
Everyone is entitled to their opinion but from my perspective most opinions are worthless and I'd definitely file this one in that category..

Mate behave yourself. The entire defence probably had the cigars out because it was such an easy take for McGregor yet he made an arse of it. There's only one person to blame for that and it's not Tav.
Am I wrong?

Most assists this season I am pretty sure
His last assist was 2 months ago mate. Since then he's had 73 cross attempts over 6 games, and only 4 finding a Rangers player and 0 assists. That's the poorest conversion rate in our team by a distance.

That's pretty stark and you can see that in the game, crosses hitting the first defender constantly and even out the other side of the pitch. Fwiw, Borna has been poor on the other side too this season, but not quite as bad.

He didn't cost us the game yesterday on his own though. That was a combination of McGregor, Morelos missing sitters galore and Gerrard not taking off players who are playing terribly, one of those being Tav.

Last edited:
Hibs 3-2 Rangers.

Many fans haven’t forgiven him for that display.

To me he was one of the least problems on the park yesterday.

People are expecting him to score an assist every game.

I actually wouldn’t be against Patterson get a run at some point though.

Tav certainly didn't have his best game, but Morelos was the worst player on the park by some distance IMO.
Stock to the point in question.
This defence of " aye but somebody else was worse" is a nonsense.
Tav had a poor game today, offered nothing going forward and as per was suspect defensively.
The solution is staring us in the face.

In July, SG said he couldn't go on leaving either Patterson or Tav on the bench. Since then, they haven't spent one minute on the same park. We've won all 3 games in which Patterson has played, scoring 9 goals. Of the 14 games when Tav has played, we've won 6, lost 5 and drawn 3, scoring 16 goals.

He has lost his goal threat but most concerning is that he is not showing for the ball. How many times did we see him in the 6 yard box last season, now he is hanging about the halfway line.

Back