Tav Stats

People put far too much of an emphasis on his defensive weaknesses. It's been far worse this season due to our overall defensive performances having been poor. Teams don't target Tavernier for defensive frailty, they target him to stop him from getting involved in attacks.

The clamour to drop him after every single time he makes a solitary mistake is embarrassing. People won't appreciate him until he's gone and even then some will simply refuse to acknowledge his contributions.

His two assists today takes him to 10 in 12 league games (also has 3 goals).

He's already passed last seasons total of 9 in 33 games.

His best in the top flight was 16 after 37 in season 18/19.

Looks on course this season to smash that contribution.

To add a little more context to these numbers because I don’t think people appreciate just how good they are.

Ryan Kent has 17 assists in league games since he signed for us in 2018.

Lies, damned lies and statistics.

He’s the captain, he’s kinda supposed to play well regularly. If he has a good game it shouldn’t be particularly noteworthy. Yet every time Tavernier plays well we get a slew of threads like this one. Methinks they doth protest too much. Almost as though some latch on to every single positive since they’re only too aware a few negatives will be along soon.

He’s the captain, he’s kinda supposed to play well regularly. If he has a good game it shouldn’t be particularly noteworthy. Yet every time Tavernier plays well we get a slew of threads like this one. Methinks they doth protest too much. Almost as though some latch on to every single positive since they’re only too aware a few negatives will be along soon.
Could just be to say cool sh*t about a Rangers player?

I'm only pointing out his magnificent record this season. :))

The reason we feel like we have to praise him all the time is because we have far too many people in our support (like yourself) who are so negative towards him.

The reason we feel like we have to praise him all the time is because we have far too many people in our support (like yourself) who are so negative towards him.

For me it's less the criticism and more the overblown, utterly disrespectful way in which people criticise him. It verges on slanderous at times. I'm fine with people critiquing his poor performances, it's when people clearly have a vendetta against him. that I take issue. Especially when the question surrounding the captaincy rears it's head, people just throw all objectivity out of the window and make it personal, more often than not anyway.

Tav’s numbers are great, no debate at all. Would be very good for a winger. Ridiculous for a full back. If he was perfect we’d not have him though. Defensively he’s not terrible but is prone to being caught out of position. And he does lob a lot of hopeful balls in that don’t seem to be aimed at anyone (happened several times today). A better crosser when he doesn’t have time to think about it. He will be missed when gone but I think Patterson is starting to knock on the door now because he has more pace.

For me it's less the criticism and more the overblown, utterly disrespectful way in which people criticise him. It verges on slanderous at times. I'm fine with people critiquing his poor performances, it's when people clearly have a vendetta against him. that I take issue. Especially when the question surrounding the captaincy rears it's head, people just throw all objectivity out of the window and make it personal, more often than not anyway.

Part of the issue with Tav was that under Gerrard he was basically our main playmaker/creator, from right back. So when he wasn’t playing well it was more noticeable because the entire team would be playing poorly too.

Tav has 55 more goal contributions (goals and assists) in the league than Ryan Kent yet I bet all the people who can’t wait to jump on Tavs back will tell you that Kent never hides and he’s always looking to create something.

Part of the issue with Tav was that under Gerrard he was basically our main playmaker/creator, from right back. So when he wasn’t playing well it was more noticeable because the entire team would be playing poorly too.

Tav has 55 more goal contributions (goals and assists) in the league than Ryan Kent yet I bet all the people who can’t wait to jump on Tavs back will tell you that Kent never hides and he’s always looking to create something.
The main thing with Kent is he seems to need to be in the mood. That to me isn’t acceptable. You should always be in the mood to create chances or shoot at goal in that position.

The main thing with Kent is he seems to need to be in the mood. That to me isn’t acceptable. You should always be in the mood to create chances or shoot at goal in that position.

It’s not just Ryan Kent though. Tav also has 12 more goal contributions in the league than Morelos.

Our right back has outproduced our main striker who’s now into his 5th season with us.

It’s not just Ryan Kent though. Tav also has 12 more goal contributions in the league than Morelos.

Our right back has outproduced our main striker who’s now into his 5th season with us.
Well as much as I like Morelos it has to be said he often comes across as very lazy in a match. I also don’t think he has much of a footballing brain. Sakala and Roofe are both more natural strikers.

The positives far, far outweigh the negatives. Every player has poor games and makes mistakes. Also, much of that ‘defensive’ weakness is down to how we played under SG - the bombing full backs mean we are susceptible to balls down the channel. You simply cannot ignore the those stats. He’s worth a goal a game at the moment, he definitely doesn’t cost us that.

He’s ridiculous.

I often wonder why some EPL team don’t take a punt on him.

West Ham type.

I know it’s not their model, but even Klopp, just take in Tav as back up to TAA.

Robust, attacking, unbelievably fit.

We’re lucky to have him.

I think he’ll retire a Ranger.
I hope so

Oh no, what horror. Imagine wanting to say nice things about Rangers players and then pointing out the frankly obscene amount of goals he's been involved in from f.ucking right back.

"Lies, damned lies and statistics" is something that you say when someone is trying to manipulate statistics to try and make an erroneous point, not when the statistics make the point for them in the most obvious terms possible.

I usually, at least try, to read on a little, mostly to confirm someone else will have dealt with it.

I'd also, normally, highlight a particular part, as some of the other comments could be debatable.

But.

He’s ridiculous.

I often wonder why some EPL team don’t take a punt on him.

West Ham type.

I know it’s not their model, but even Klopp, just take in Tav as back up to TAA.

Robust, attacking, unbelievably fit.

We’re lucky to have him.

I think he’ll retire a Ranger.
100% he will stay unless he is forced out by age or a manager imo.

We all know how it works. Awesome in attack, crap in defence. Apart from last season that's how it is.

For me he's a much better defender than people give him credit for, some have made their mind up on him and thats that.

Unbelievable numbers this season, again
He was the first choice right back in a team that set the all-time Scottish record for goals conceded in a single league season.

That would seem to be an impossible thing to do for someone who can’t defend

According to Transfermarkt he has 11 assists from 12 starts in the league.

He's always posted great numbers going forward. I think Gio making less of our attacking emphasis rest on our fullbacks will help him too. We're seeing less deep floaty crosses to nobody and he's looking up a bit more.

The Captain debate is for another time, but as an attacking fullback, his numbers are very impressive.

To add a little more context to these numbers because I don’t think people appreciate just how good they are.

How would Tav's look if he didn't take the corners and free kicks as a matter of interest as a lot of his assists come from that? Not that they're any less of an assist mind you. I know he's assisted loads from open play, I'm just wondering how they stack up against the rest, I suspect he'd still be ahead.

Bit unfair there, because as far as I can see almost every player gets a thread after a great performance.
The fact that Tav gets more than most tells its own story.

How would Tav's look if he didn't take the corners and free kicks as a matter of interest as a lot of his assists come from that? Not that they're any less of an assist mind you. I know he's assisted loads from open play, I'm just wondering how they stack up against the rest, I suspect he'd still be ahead.

For perspective, Turnbull takes all Celtic's set pieces and is currently on 3 assists for the season.
He can only dream about the quality Tav possesses.

Tav's awareness in open play was perfectly illustrated by his perfectly flighted ball for Arfield's goal yesterday.

Set pieces, or open play assists, or even turning games on their head with out of this world goals like St Johnstone or Motherwell, Tavernier is invaluable to us and absolutely unique in Scottish football.

Ok here’s something that isn’t a lie, take away his goal contributions, and the subsequent points gained from that, and we’d likely be fighting Hearts for 2nd right now.

Our captain is our most consistent match-winner, his goals and assists win matches, that’s not a lie, that’s a f*cking fact.

Glad following Rangers brings you so much joy

That is using Transfermarkt numbers which are not accurate for assists. I think Kent has 11 actual assists to date in the league.

For perspective, Turnbull takes all Celtic's set pieces and is currently on 3 assists for the season.
He can only dream about the quality Tav possesses.

Tav's awareness in open play was perfectly illustrated by his perfectly flighted ball for Arfield's goal yesterday.

Set pieces, or open play assists, or even turning games on their head with out of this world goals like St Johnstone or Motherwell, Tavernier is invaluable to us and absolutely unique in Scottish football.

Just for clarity MU, in no way was I slagging Tav, I fully recognise the quality he brings to the team. I really don't understand where the I wank dugs brigade come from. Every player makes mistakes but Tav more than makes up for any he makes. His credit with the fans should be huge and it was nice to hear his name mentioned in song yesterday.

Just for clarity MU, in no way was I slagging Tav, I fully recognise the quality he brings to the team. I really don't understand where the I wank dugs brigade come from. Every player makes mistakes but Tav more than makes up for any he makes. His credit with the fans should be huge and it was nice to hear his name mentioned in song yesterday.

No problem mate, I didn't think you were.

Was just trying to give you some sort of stat comparison between Tav and the player who takes all set pieces for the team in 2nd place.

It’s FACTS we’re being given about Tav. He is the best right back in Scotland. No doubt you and all the other FF experts know better.

An outstanding player, who needs more support in the defensive areas. His offensive contribution cannot be overstated - the most assists in the team by far, notwithstanding his goals from open play and free kicks at crucial times.

The way we set up exposes him sometimes, or at least it did, there is more width in front of him now so interesting to see if we are still vulnerable there.

We just need the right combo of centre mid to drop and let a centre half go out and cover when he forays forward to get the best from him.

He is most defenitely an Offensive asset and should be regarded as such.

Ive said it once and ill say it again. Crossing a ball from a corner cannot be an assist. Surely to god?

How so out of interest? set plays are a massive part of football particularly in Scotland where they play a huge part in dictating the outcome of the game, having someone with quality delivery is massive.

How so out of interest? set plays are a massive part of football particularly in Scotland where they play a huge part in dictating the outcome of the game, having someone with quality delivery is massive.
Cmon man a 12 year old could deliver a cross ball. Now if we had scored from hagi's cross that woukd have been an assist. A corner whatever next a goalie smashing a 90 yard goal kick the defenders miss and someone scores

Cmon man a 12 year old could deliver a cross ball

im-done-wiffleGif.gif

Back