Tav Staying

Every time I see statistics on here from last season, our players seem to have been the best in the league.

It's a wonder how we never even managed to compete, never mind win the thing.

Tav will be working on his defensive weaknesses, the management will make sure of it.

Absolutely love Tav ... he would be a massive miss in the dressing room if he left ... his enthusiasm is infectious ... I hope he and Goldson develop as strong an understanding as Tav and Candieas ....
Is that the same enthusiasm he showed when he threw in the towel at the piggery? Wearing the armband no less.

I don’t think Tav’s a winner.

No hiding place for Tavernier next season.

We should have two adequate centre-halves and at least one decent holding midfielder playing every week.
Defensively we should be massively improved.
Going forward just the same as per

Maybe he’s 1 of a 3 at the back and Tav pushes forward as a midfield 5?

Tav talks in his interview of Goldson playing 'inside him' as the right centre-back so that suggests to me that 3 at the back will not be our 'regular' setup. An option, possibly, but it doesn't look like it's what we are working on in Spain judging by Tav's comment.

I'd agree with @Ruben Sosa - all the 'noises' suggest a copy of Klopp's style/formation.

EDIT: Also interesting to hear Tav say levels of fitness had dropped over the years and they were getting back to where they should have been. A suggestion, perhaps, that MW had it right (in terms of fitness) but that it slipped under Caixinha and Murty. I think we'd all guessed that anyway.

Last edited:
I’m glad to hear that, we all know there’s room for improvement defensively, but I have every faith he’s going to excel this year under SG.

Good luck To Tav, he’s becoming a loyal servant to our club.

Is it only me who thinks he’s good going forward but can’t defend? Check how many times we have conceded goals when balls have been fired into the right back position and he’s been posted missing.

SPFL Radars Dougie did an analysis piece of where Rangers conceded goals for last season that totally blew this perception out of the water most assists which led to goals came from central positions, one of the lowest was from attacking left wing

I like Tav but I suppose we'll need to wait until the end of the Transfer Window, I certainly wouldn't like him to go

Is it only me who thinks he’s good going forward but can’t defend? Check how many times we have conceded goals when balls have been fired into the right back position and he’s been posted missing.
No, there’s plenty other people that know f*ck all.

Right, lets nail this 'Tav can't defend' thing.

First of all, much of this is based on him being caught out of position. As a modern attacking full back that will happen a fair bit. It's the job of the midfield to drop in and cover when he's in attack.

Secondly, let's compare him to the billion dollar wonderkid from the Eastend.

DarVHyqX0AAqIsM.jpg

DarU3KNWsAUDFeE.jpg

For anyone not familiar with them the closer each point is to the edge the closer that player is to being the best in the league with that stat.

Note the size of Tav's compared to Tierney's. It shows that he's excelling in all areas of his game, both attacking and defending.

We'll look at defending only though as this is where the criticism seems to be.
Tierney is the best in the league at winning defensive duels, winning 27% compared to Tav's 21.5%. It's important to note though that Tav is facing 9 per game compared to Tierney's 5.5. So Tav is involved in more defensive battles, probably due to our midfield being over run at times.
Outwith that Tav has more interceptions per game, 6 to Tierney's 4.5 and importantly Tav blocks more than double the crosses Tierney does, over 42% compared to Tierney's 20%. This is something we constantly see him getting criticised for and yet he's doing very well in that area.

Let's not forget as well that Tav has been playing alongside an ever changing central defence that has been a bombscare at times and a midfield that has been over-run due to bad organisation.

And that is the case for the defence M'lud :p

Oh, and I await the inevitable stats blah blah, trust my own eyes blah blah replies :cool:

SPFL Radars Dougie did an analysis piece of where Rangers conceded goals for last season that totally blew this perception out of the water most assists which led to goals came from central positions, one of the lowest was from attacking left wing
It was 6.

People will realise how much of an asset Tav is for us when he eventually does move on. Hopefully that isn’t for a while though.

No doubting his ability, balance, first touch...all excellent. Defending is an issue for me and personally would take the captaincy of him. We need a crabbit faced barsteward for our captain imo.

Great news

I genuinely can’t believe the stick he gets with us given his contribution

I’ve said it before, we’ll only notice just how much he contributes once he leaves us

Tav gets a lot of the blame for the failings of the centre backs.

When he goes toward the defense has to control that back. And our defense was always a problem.

People will quickly see this season how good a right be he is, and I'm sure he will be even better under Gerrard. A title winning player. Delighted he's determined to stay.

Tav’s been unlucky at Rangers.

He’s not yet played a single game in a team with a solid central defence or central midfield.

never really felt not stopping crosses into the box was our biggest problem this season, most of it was from piss weak central defence against attacks through the middle.

Tav has infuriated me previously with his getting caught by someone running past him while a cross came in from our left, but he was a mile away from being a weak link this year.

Not if they don’t want to leave they don’t

Players have all the power
Yea because he will enjoy sitting on the bench every game as he is not getting anywhere near the starting 11 IF Flanagan produces what he is capable of.

Only because we had no one good enough to realise that their job was to cover his position when he went forward.

Check the actual stats. The majority of goals came through the middle. Not the right.

You have a weak centre defence and weak centre mid and ask your right back to bomb on, it’s not unexpected that he’ll be out of position now and again.

The stats don’t back up the tav bashing

Hope he stays. There are quite a few less talented players than him around.

Has to stop just letting wingers run past him as if he isn't there though.

I think he's a very good offensive player, but under the new coaching staff, i think his overall play will improve. I wouldn't sell him unless there was big money on offer, but i can't see S.G.letting him leave.

Tav is a superb footballer. He was made to look poor in some games by the players round him and the tactics of Murty. I'm not surprised that clubs in England are enquiring about his availability. If they want him they better be good at spelling big numbers when they're writing out the cheque.

If you think he is a good tackler then you are deluded.

He's certainly not the best defensive type player, but surely he would be an asset if we pushed him a bit further forward, and played him as an attacking midfielder.

Check the actual stats. The majority of goals came through the middle. Not the right.

You have a weak centre defence and weak centre mid and ask your right back to bomb on, it’s not unexpected that he’ll be out of position now and again.

The stats don’t back up the tav bashing

Agree, i would play 3 at the back and allow our fullbacks to move forward, as that seems to be the way modern football is played now.Maybe im just not switched on to the style of football now, as im one of the older fans on here.

Tav is a superb footballer. He was made to look poor in some games by the players round him and the tactics of Murty. I'm not surprised that clubs in England are enquiring about his availability. If they want him they better be good at spelling big numbers when they're writing out the cheque.
We have just found Tavs log in for FF :D

Yea because he will enjoy sitting on the bench every game as he is not getting anywhere near the starting 11 IF Flanagan produces what he is capable of.

Except Tav offers so much more than being a defender.
He won’t be leaving unless he wants to.

Just look at Balde at Celtic, sat and took his wages happily. As he was entitled to.

He's certainly not the best defensive type player, but surely he would be an asset if we pushed him a bit further forward, and played him as an attacking midfielder.
This is exactly what I think our gaffer will do with him. He would make an outstanding attacking midfielder.

Just look at the last goal we conceded last season at hibs,it was poor defending by tav,going forward he is good but not at tackling.

I agree with your statement, i think Tav is an offensive player and will never be a natural type fullback.
So if he's going to be a first team regular, his defensive side of his game will need to vastly improve, or he'll need to be pushed further forward.Otherwise he'll be on the bench or moved on for a half decent transfer price.Only S.G. knows that answer im afraid.

Back