Tav Staying

Except Tav offers so much more than being a defender.
He won’t be leaving unless he wants to.

Just look at Balde at Celtic, sat and took his wages happily. As he was entitled to.
If Flanagan becomes the player he was when he played under the tranny shagger then there is only one right back..

Balde was done and on 60k a week with a million bonus for staying till the end of the contract.. A wee bit different from Tav mate.. And i do like him, but to challenge celic we need to up the quality, and as i said if Flanagan sorts his head, he will be a star.

If Flanagan becomes the player he was when he played under the tranny shagger then there is only one right back..

Balde was done and on 60k a week with a million bonus for staying till the end of the contract.. A wee bit different from Tav mate.. And i do like him, but to challenge celic we need to up the quality, and as i said if Flanagan sorts his head, he will be a star.

He played left back under Rodgers at Liverpool that season.

Liverpool are my second team.
I honestly thought Flanagan was solid, but that’s it.
Offered very little if anything going forward any time I remember seeing him.

Does it not normally turn out that “i’m staying” is followed “id like to thank the x fc fans for all their support and I wish them every success in the future”...?

I’d like to see him stay, but with kit sales etc not happening yet, SG’s new squad needs to he funded somehow.

There are quite a few I would rather see leave before Tavernier.
I don't mean to criticise the lad but to score double figure free kicks in the championship to one or two in the Premier shows standards slipped.

Not all the players fault.
But it's at times like that tour Beckhams and Gerrards stay behind and improve their own game.

For me arguably our best player and if you watch when we are up against how often our team gives him the ball the team recognises it as well.

My controversial opinion is if he had a better player than Candeias in front of him we would be a much more potent team.

Been fitter and having competition can only help him and it is a big season for him now playing under a proper manager.

Is that the same enthusiasm he showed when he threw in the towel at the piggery? Wearing the armband no less.

I don’t think Tav’s a winner.
He proved that with his ‘we’re happy with a point’ comment after the last game at Pittodrie.

He proved that with his ‘we’re happy with a point’ comment after the last game at Pittodrie.

Absolutely mate. And I know I harp on about it like a broken record, but that’s more than once he’s said “%^*& it, we’re beaten away” in OF games and just chucked it. He’s not a winner, from a mental standpoint, he’s not a Rangers player

Absolutely mate. And I know I harp on about it like a broken record, but that’s more than once he’s said “%^*& it, we’re beaten away” in OF games and just chucked it. He’s not a winner, from a mental standpoint, he’s not a Rangers player

Have I been living in some alternate universe where James Tavernier IS in fact a Rangers player? Wearing number 2?

I get it now... it’s because he started his youth career at Farsley Celtic isn’t it?

In all seriousness, imo Tav is easily one of our better players. Playing with better players round him should also see his game improve as well. Yes he’s better going forward than at the back. But most modern day full backs are the same. People harp on about goals he apparently costs us but never actually notice the good defensive work he does.

Have I been living in some alternate universe where James Tavernier IS in fact a Rangers player? Wearing number 2?

I get it now... it’s because he started his youth career at Farsley Celtic isn’t it?

In all seriousness, imo Tav is easily one of our better players. Playing with better players round him should also see his game improve as well. Yes he’s better going forward than at the back. But most modern day full backs are the same. People harp on about goals he apparently costs us but never actually notice the good defensive work he does.
His mentality isn’t that of a winner/winning Ranger. Many examples of this as pointed out.

Not that he doesn’t have plus points which have also been pointed out.

Aww well, blows my thoughts right out the water :D :D
It doesn't.

He's a RB, who can play on the left.

The year he won young player of the season - he played in his natural RB slot. He was rewarded for this form at RB, with a long term deal.

Our best signing, pending fitness.

Hes a
Liverpool are my second team.
I honestly thought Flanagan was solid, but that’s it.
Offered very little if anything going forward any time I remember seeing him.

He was very good in Brenda's team, going forward.

He simply prefers to tackle.

From a technical POV, you’re right, he’s one of the best players. But his mentality is all wrong for us. He’s shown it too many times.

Jfc, our best player isn't a Rangers player apparently. So who is in our squad if Tav isn't?

Whenever you talk to fans of other teams they always mention Tav as our best player and that they rate him. Well for me anyway.

Jfc, our best player isn't a Rangers player apparently. So who is in our squad if Tav isn't?

Are you happy with chucking the towel in?

To be perfectly honest, practically none of them are. For all the shite he gets at least Morelos doesn’t give in. McCrorie wouldn’t give in, wee Holt wouldn’t give in. After that I’m struggling.

Tav is more talented than some of those, but he ain’t a winner and he’s far too comfortable with pissing away points my friend.

Are you happy with chucking the towel in?

To be perfectly honest, practically none of them are. For all the shite he gets at least Morelos doesn’t give in. McCrorie wouldn’t give in, wee Holt wouldn’t give in. After that I’m struggling.

Tav is more talented than some of those, but he ain’t a winner and he’s far too comfortable with pissing away points my friend.
I wouldn't give in. Doesn't mean that I'm better than Tav

I wouldn't give in. Doesn't mean that I'm better than Tav

You haven’t understood my post then. You’re not a professional footballer so I’d imagine you’d be quite shite with all due respect.

Put simply, Tavernier is one of the most talented players in the side. However, his attitude and general drive are not up to the required standard for a Rangers player hoping to win things here. We generally don’t accept players half arsing it and throwing in the towel, why should we start now?

I'm not always his biggest fan, but I would certainly have him stay, unless an excellent offer came in. He definitely has ability on the ball; the issue is his concentration and positional awareness when he we don't have it. If he can improve in those areas, he'll be absolutely fine.

Sorry must admit not read the full thread but surely tav pushed 1 up is got to be considered...has excellent delivery and can finish aswell defending suspect but to be fair hasn't had a proper defence to work with.

His comments are great, well received and he spoke well during the interview. That being said, if we get an acceptable offer from an EPL club, there is no doubt he's on his way. The only debate is how much is acceptable??

Good to see him staying, how many years did he extend his contract by?

To be fair he’s one of the few from the Warburton era that deserves a league medal or a cup medal

I’d prefer we cashed in and secured a more defensive RB.

Can understand why people want to keep him but I just reckon we need someone who can read and dictate the defensive side of things a bit better.

You've pretty much described Jon Flanagan, so you should be happy mate.

Personally I'll be delighted if we keep Tav.

I'm happy enough with our full back options now for the season ahead.

I would be gutted if he goes. I actually can't understand the amount of stick he gets on here. He was very good for the majority of last season, and that was in a mediocre team at best.
He did improve his defensive side last season, but football has changed, fullbacks are more about an attacking position now. Even the best fullbacks in the world are left a bit wanting with their defensive side. Marcelo being the perfect example .

Is it only me who thinks he’s good going forward but can’t defend? Check how many times we have conceded goals when balls have been fired into the right back position and he’s been posted missing.

What are the actual numbers, out of interest? Are they pretty damning?

I recall him being caught out of position a few times but can’t think of many instances we’ve actually conceded directly because of him.

I’m glad he is staying but if we got a decent offer for him I wouldn’t be devastated if he left either. As good as he is going forward he is also part of what must be the worst Rangers defence in our history in the top division.
If he does stay then he needs to up the defensive side of his game, he can have a good defensive game but not often enough.

Great news. I want him to stay for 1 or 2 seasons with better players around him.

Let’s see how he performs in the new season.

He’s defo best RB in Scotland by some distance.

Delighted to hear Tav's staying, he was our POTY by a country mile last year.

Pressed the wrong icon on like, this player has cost us as many goals as he has helped and scored, he’s sadly half the player he was when he first came, with his runs and shooting from distance, which was excellent. Now any forward knows he’s got tons of room to run in as he doesn’t take them on on the beeline, and allows them to come to the penalty box, get millions for him and say thanks.

Pressed the wrong icon on like, this player has cost us as many goals as he has helped and scored, he’s sadly half the player he was when he first came, with his runs and shooting from distance, which was excellent. Now any forward knows he’s got tons of room to run in as he doesn’t take them on on the beeline, and allows them to come to the penalty box, get millions for him and say thanks.
If you do that all you have to do is press it again and it goes to "unlike".
Every day's a schoolday on FF!
:)

Tavernier might be the best right back going forward however his
defensive duties leave a lot to be desired.
Rangers had one of the worst defences in the league last season.

Delighted he’s staying and not surprised SG thinks he’s important. Unless we get a silly offer he will be our RB.
IMO he will become even better with top coaching and better centre half’s, midfielders and somebody better then Candeias in front of him.

Back