Tav vs Hutton

If Hutton had seen out the 07/08 season with us then we might have ended up with 4 trophies that season

He was Tottenham's first choice right-back for the majority of the 2010–11 season, often being preferred to Croatian international Vedran Ćorluka on the right hand side of the Spurs defence. Hutton was also an important fixture in Tottenham's 2010–11 UEFA Champions League campaign that saw them reach the quarter-finals, including being part of the team that produced a memorable 3–1 victory over European champions Internazionale.[28] However, his season ended in April, after suffering a knee injury, which ruled him

He played 21 of 38 league games for them in 2010/11, that's not that much more than only half of their league games and was already out the squad by the time he was injured.

He only played 4 games for them in Europe that season, and again was on the bench by the time he was injured.

So while his injury was unfortunate, he didn't really hold down a place at a top EPL side.

To the extent he was sold by the summers end of that season. It isn't like the manager was desperate for his return to the side after his injury

Hutton for me. He was getting better when WS sold him. We did regress slightly after his departure. Tav is no slouch either

He played 21 of 38 league games for them in 2010/11, that's not that much more than only half of their league games and was already out the squad by the time he was injured.

He only played 4 games for them in Europe that season, and again was on the bench by the time he was injured.

So while his injury was unfortunate, he didn't really hold down a place at a top EPL side.

To the extent he was sold by the summers end of that season. It isn't like the manager was desperate for his return to the side after his injury
If he’s injured in April and not available it’s a bit disingenuous to quote 38 games, let’s say he played 70% of games when he was available. Personally, I think he’s holding that shirt. Fact is he played for a top EPL side.

If he’s injured in April and not available it’s a bit disingenuous to quote 38 games, let’s say he played 70% of games when he was available. Personally, I think he’s holding that shirt. Fact is he played for a top EPL side.

He had been displaced prior to being injured though.

The move for Spurs in reality, didn't really work out for him and he found his game far more often for a side involved in relegation battles for most of his time in England

Hutton was similar to Bassey in his Rangers career. A very good 6 months then the club cashed in.

Tavernier is a much better footballer

The eras they have played in (in football generally but particularly relating to Rangers) are completely different. Stevens was a top full back in his day, and his standing in football as a whole was higher, but if we are just comparing honours then Scott Nisbet was a better right back than Tavernier.

Stevens was never anywhere near as important to the Rangers teams he played in as Tavernier has been – he didn’t have to be. Tav has scored as many goals since November as Stevens managed in his six years.

Hutton had a great 6 months and an average rest of his Rangers career.

It’s a bit like the EPL right back thread we had where the only real answer was Gary Neville.

It’s Tav all day long
I love Tav and he’s obviously the better of the 2 ref RFC career
Hutton is another level overall including a £9m transfer over 20 years ago

The eras they have played in (in football generally but particularly relating to Rangers) are completely different. Stevens was a top full back in his day, and his standing in football as a whole was higher, but if we are just comparing honours then Scott Nisbet was a better right back than Tavernier.

Stevens was never anywhere near as important to the Rangers teams he played in as Tavernier has been – he didn’t have to be. Tav has scored as many goals since November as Stevens managed in his six years.
If Tac was anywhere near as good as Stevens we'd have been fending off or cashing in on a big money bid from a top EPL side. Him never garnering much interest down south is a pretty good indicator that he's not close to Stevens' or Jardine's standard.

If Tac was anywhere near as good as Stevens we'd have been fending off or cashing in on a big money bid from a top EPL side. Him never garnering much interest down south is a pretty good indicator that he's not close to Stevens' or Jardine's standard.

More a case that he's a footballer in the era of Alexander-Arnold, Walker, Trippier, James, Wan-Bissaka. That and the fact he genuinely seems to love playing for Rangers. Completely different time we're playing in now, a player like Stevens probably wouldn't be playing for a top 6 side in modern day England either.

Also can't exactly hold not leaving for bigger things against Tav when Stevens left to join top-flight greats Tranmere Rovers. At around the same age Tav was dragging us to a European final.

The six month purple patch Hutton had was very similar to Bassey’s when he really was verging on the sensational at times and I still contend that had we kept a hold of him until the summer we would have won the title that season.

But, while Tav may never have reached similar heights of individual brilliance, he’s chipped in with so many crucial goals over the years and was a real driving force in our reaching the Europa League final last season so I think should be the winner in that particular contest.

Following on from the “Favourite Gers XI” thread.

Noticed a lot of folks who didn’t experience the Sandy Jardine/ Stevens era, flipped between Tav and Hutton for the right back position.

In terms of tenure and contribution to the Rangers story, my choice would be Tav.

However in terms of raw ability, what’s the thoughts?

Watching that legends game yesterday reminded me of what a fantastic full back Alan Hutton was. Unplayable on his day.
Comparing 6 months to 6 years ?
Still Tav for me.

In terms of individual contribution to the club, Tavernier is the best right back since Sandy Jardine. Don’t think there is much debate to be had about that.
Gary Stevens was well ahead of Tav on ability, both defensively and as an attacking threat. Stevens played in a team far superior to the present team but his contribution to that team was every bit of important than Tavs is today.

Can't think of many players who hit the heights Hutton did in 2007.

Tav has been more consistent over the piece.
Giving the world champions the run around at Hampden. Doing similar with quality opposition in the Champions League.

In spite of the fact he didn’t retain his focus and push on from that, he had a decent enough career in the Premier League, even won a medal with Spurs which is almost unheard of :D

Anyway I chose Hutton for his peak, clearly not his longevity at Rangers. And he could defend too which is always useful. And I’d just feel way more confident of him giving a good showing in a must win game.

Hutton is the better player by far, played in the EPL for Spurs and Villa and played for his national team also. The talking up of Tav on here is frightening at times.

Comparing 6 months to 6 years ?
Still Tav for me.
The question isn’t contribution to rangers. Think it’s pretty clear that Tav holds that position.

The question was on “raw ability”. Hutton doesn’t need to have been at Rangers to make that judgement call.

Giving the world champions the run around at Hampden. Doing similar with quality opposition in the Champions League.

In spite of the fact he didn’t retain his focus and push on from that, he had a decent enough career in the Premier League, even won a medal with Spurs which is almost unheard of :D

Anyway I chose Hutton for his peak, clearly not his longevity at Rangers. And he could defend too which is always useful. And I’d just feel way more confident of him giving a good showing in a must win game.

Yeah, Villa fans loved him in the end. Played at the Bernabeu and Camp Nou in La Liga too!

Hutton was a whipping boy when he broke through because he didn't reach the levels of Stevie Smith on the other side, it was quite late on when it turned around for Hutton. I remember him scoring in Europe & that was where the opinion on him started to change.

He also played at a time where FB's didn't always need to go forward as often & were well covered. I think his defensive weaknesses would've been exposed if he played in a modern-day Rangers side.

It's funny that we badger Tav for his lack of winners medals but no one really did the same with Hutton, who I think only won 1 title.
I remember this game. Someone in the ground was giving him dogs abuse, then he scored and the guy refusing to budge declared it “a fluke”

Gary Stevens was miles better than either Tav or Alan Hutton.
To say otherwise is just daft

Gary Stevens was well ahead of Tav on ability, both defensively and as an attacking threat. Stevens played in a team far superior to the present team but his contribution to that team was every bit of important than Tavs is today.
League medal Everton , ECWC winner
43 Caps and right back in Everton Greatest 11
Gary was light years ahead of any right back who came after him.

His Rangers career was fantastic too!

Yeah, Villa fans loved him in the end. Played at the Bernabeu and Camp Nou in La Liga too!
I’d totally forgotten about his spell at Mallorca!

I was absolutely gutted when we sold him. He was flying that season, he got stuck right into McGeady too. So many times he’d take the ball from deep, often in our own half and just start motoring past players and opening up spaces. His assist for Adam against Stuttgart was absolute quality and an example of how he could be up against top opposition, and just make something out of nothing. Probably one of the best CL goals I’ve seen live because Adam’s feint and finish were top notch too.

Last edited:
Hutton was a lazy git who frustrated me so much. When he went forward and lost the ball he walked back instead of sprinting back to help the team. I thought we stole the money from Spurs.

Hutton was a better footballer. There's a reason that despite his numbers Tav has never been linked with a decent move.

Tav however has contributed far more for us and in terms of best player for us, it's not even a conversation.

Hutton was a standout in the CL and played most of his career in the EPL. As good as Tav has been he's been at us for the majority of his career at a time the standard in our league has been at it's lowest ebb.

Doesn't take away the fact he's almost scored 100 goals as a right back

Hutton in that 07/08 season was on another level. The guy was a genuine difference maker who put a bit of fight into the team.

And we replaced him with Kirk Broadfoot ….

In terms of individual contribution to Rangers it’s not even close between Tav and Hutton. Even Huttons immense performances in Europe were slapped aside by Tav last year.

Hutton was a standout in the CL and played most of his career in the EPL. As good as Tav has been he's been at us for the majority of his career at a time the standard in our league has been at it's lowest ebb.

Doesn't take away the fact he's almost scored 100 goals as a right back
What Hutton did in the EPL is immaterial compared to what Tav has done for Rangers.

Who was the better player for Rangers - it’s James Tavernier and not even close.

Tav definitely better over the piece but don't think he's come near hitting how good Hutton was for Scotland and Rangers in 2007. He was genuinely unbelievable for a good bit there.

Hutton looked like he could go on to be world class at that point against Barcelona, Stuttgart, Lyon, Italy and France.

I would say that I don't think a Rangers player has looked that good against that calibre of opposition since. Morelos and Tav himself have had good moments in the Europa, but neither have done it in the big competition against sides as good as Lyon and Barcelona were back then.
Tav was top scorer in the Europa league and drove Rangers to a major European final. Not sure what more you want in Europe from Tav tbh

In terms of individual contribution to Rangers it’s not even close between Tav and Hutton. Even Huttons immense performances in Europe were slapped aside by Tav last year.
Hutton was playing in the Champions League. Less said about Tav’s one go at the CL the better.

Hutton was possibly the best Rangers right back I’ve seen all round for that six month spell.

Rapid, could beat a man, great one on one defender and chipped in with assists and a few goals. More importantly, he was genuinely aggressive, and that’s something Tav and many others don’t seem to have. Especially against the filth, he hated them and you could see it in his performances.

For overall consistency and contribution though, there’s only one winner.
Perfectly summed up. He was dominating champions league games for us. At right back.

As much as I liked Gary Stevens, we seemed to play alot of games with McPherson, Cleland or Nisbet at right back. I know Wikipedia says he has 6 league medals for us but in my mind he missed a shed load of games in his last 3 or 4 years.

Tav has looked weary at times over the last season but generally his fitness and lack of injury over some of the longest seasons in our history might be his biggest asset. The best ability is availability as they say.

What Hutton did in the EPL is immaterial compared to what Tav has done for Rangers.

Who was the better player for Rangers - it’s James Tavernier and not even close.
I mean that’s not what the OP asks but you fire on.

In terms of raw ability the player who players at a higher level for longer is a better player.

Back