Tavernier and Goldson contract situation

The Predator

Are we allowed serious chat at this time on their contract situations B-)

I believe they are they only two first team players we have whose contracts expire at the end of next season?

What do we do here come the summer if neither want to commit longer term here, when you consider it is their last big pay day contract wise?

I believe they are they only two first team players we have whose contracts expire at the end of next season?

What do we do here come the summer if neither want to commit longer term here, when you consider it is their last big pay day contract wise?
Lets be honest that Tav may not want to commit as he will realise he wont be number 1 over Patterson, maybe not next season but definitely likely the first season of his extension.

His age will also mean he is on one last deal and will that be with us fighting for a place in the starting line up?

Personally I cant see it and think there is a chance he will go this summer as well and we progress Patterson fully into starting line up and bring in back up.

Lets be honest that Tav may not want to commit as he will realise he wont be number 1 over Patterson, maybe not next season but definitely likely the first season of his extension.

His age will also mean he is on one last deal and will that be with us fighting for a place in the starting line up?

Personally I cant see it and think there is a chance he will go this summer as well and we progress Patterson fully into starting line up and bring in back up.
How on earth can you say our top goal scorer and top assister and captain won’t be starting in 18 months time? He’s not 38 ffs

I can’t see either player wanting to leave,not after the struggles we have endured, the ridicule and patronising, not to mention the referee’s “incompetence” in several games.

I feel they are the type of players that will be grateful for the chance to play for a team that is renowned worldwide and will realise that they won’t find much better.

Yes they may well get a greater wages in a top league, but let’s face it they will never find the success nor the adulation

They will surely want a crack at the champions league after the exploits of our team in the europa league.
They will surely want a crack at the champions league after the exploits of our team in the europa league.

I think they have bought into the ethos of our great club and may stay long enough to gain legendary legend status

Last edited:

Your at it

How on earth can you say our top goal scorer and top assister and captain won’t be starting in 18 months time? He’s not 38 ffs
His age and our prioritisation of Patterson in the timeframe of the contract extension.

Patterson will be number 1 choice by the time Tavs first year of a new contract would be running as my post says.

It’s a tricky situation. Tav’s 30 this year and Goldson 29. The fact that they are critical players to the way we play and assuming they are happy to stay then the sensible thing would be to add 1 more year to their deals and see how we fare in the Champs League. I don’t see that having much impact on the sell on value a year down the line, potentially an increase if they continue to impress at the next level. Everyone’s happy.

If they decide they want a punt at the EPL instead and want to leave this summer then I think they’d go with everyone’s best wishes. It’s really down to what the players want. Again, everyone’s happy and I’m sure the club have plans in place to strengthen every position.

The tricky situation would be if they decide they wanted to stay without signing extensions. Get CL football for a year followed by a big payday for the players, nothing for the club by way of transfer. I’m sure this will be their agents’ preference and something the club need to avoid.

James Tavernier signed for us in the Championship and is now leading us to glory.

He is now firmly a legend and can do what he likes.

Seriously though the both of them should extend their contracts and win some more titles whilst playing in the Champions League.

There's a situation?

I think they are all just doing fine, working their butts off for 55. Then there will be plenty of time for new contracts.

Anyone seriously thinking either of them goes to a top-six EPL team and get the game time they do with us, are delusional. They'll also be getting more trophies and CL games next season. Do you seriously think the captain and vice-captain of Rangers give that up to go and play bottom half EPL football?

Looking at their fitness, athleticism, how long do you think they have left before they start to dip, slow down?

We sell them

Both will be offered new deals, suspect the only reason it hasn't come up yet is SG wants league title closed off with no distractions. Patterson has a lot to learn and prove before any conversation he should replace Tav.

Reactions: LD5
Looking at their fitness, athleticism, how long do you think they have left before they start to dip, slow dow
Dont think he or Goldson will dip by much but they have one main financial deal left in them and this is it coming up, thats what I meant by "one last deal".

I believe it will be more Pattersons progression rather than a dip of athleticism from Tav

They will want to play in the champions league they will sign, Patterson not ready yet

I’d rather they extended their deals but if not then we will probably have to sell.
Agreed mate, if they are attracted to a move for greater money, lifestyle then you cant blame them.
I just hope both are motivated by the game, playing every week and being part of something special.

Its hard but the club will sell players in the summer, and its going to be tough to let them go, but its the modern day cycle.

Offer them 2 year extensions to their current deals which gives them 3 year contracts on improved terms.
If they don’t accept they need to go in the summer, no ifs no buts.
If a relegation battle in the premiership is more attractive than playing in the Champions league then good luck to them.
With the age of them we’re not getting big money for them now.

Reactions: Jeb

Absolute nonsense. Tav isn't even 30 yet

I’m definitely in the extend or be sold camp.
I would be gutted to lose either after this season but we have to accept we need to sell one or two assets this summer.
CL qualification can’t be guaranteed and we can’t afford to let assets leave for nothing.
That includes a great servant like Tav.

I really hope the lure of trying to play CL plus the adulation and complete buzz that winning this title means neither of them want to give that up for a couple more years,

Offer them 2 year extensions to their current deals which gives them 3 year contracts on improved terms.
If they don’t accept they need to go in the summer, no ifs no buts.
If a relegation battle in the premiership is more attractive than playing in the Champions league then good luck to them.
With the age of them we’re not getting big money for them now.

What we term big money in Scotland is chicken feed for EPL clubs. If both Tav and Goldson were to leave this summer I'd expect us to get a combined £15m for them.

Back