Tavernier as a number 8?

Mezzala

Seen the point made on twitter so I thought I'd raise it here.

Tavernier has all the attributes of a very good number 8 at this level, he's athletic, has a good range of passing and is brilliant at carrying the ball forward in wide or central areas of the pitch. He'd arguably be an upgrade on anyone we have in that position and it allows us to play Patterson regularly.

People might think it's a ridiculous decision but I think it's worth the conversation at least.

Tavernier has all the attributes of a very good number 8 at this level, he's athletic, has a good range of passing and is brilliant at carrying the ball forward in wide or central areas of the pitch. He'd arguably be an upgrade on anyone we have in that position and it allows us to play Patterson regularly.

People might think it's a ridiculous decision but I think it's worth the conversation at least.

Why would we actively try to convert our best right back into a completely new position?

What’s the point?

SG will know if it's worth the conversation.

Go with the flow, I reckon.

If at one time, it's needed - we can try.

Right now, performances and results suggest we are all good.

I can't see it happening but I must admit I did think that as the game wore on yesterday I could see him come on just to shore up the midfield and sit in front of Patterson.

So did Mark Warburton

Going on factual evidence of what we've seen so far I'll be more than happy for him to slot back in to right back and will trust the management team will plan accordingly to continue Pattersons development

Best right back we've had in many years and we move him to somewhere he's less effective?

Erm... no!
We don't know that he'd be less effective there, we'd obviously need to see it in practise but on paper he could arguably be even better.

Patterson needs as many minutes as possible, he could be better than Tavernier at a very young age. Just a conversation about how we do that.

Bed

I posted this yesterday but it kinda got lost. I think it's a great idea. He has all the attributes, keeps his set pieces amd leadership on the park. With Jacks injury problems it's got to be worth a go.

You're both talking as if this wasn't done very succesfully with Ricksen in the past, I'm not saying that it's something we have to do but I dont think the topic warrants immiediate dismissal
Ricksen has one good season in midfield before that he was shite

Not saying it wouldn't work, but it's different playing in the middle of the park and being aware of everything around you than playing on one side and being concerned, not all, but mostly with just your side of the park.

And we don't play with wingers so that's a non-starter.

Never mind Tav being our best RB. Patterson's time will come.

Warburton played him as part of the midfield three around December 2016. 2 or 3 games, he was terrible particularly against Inverness CT on Christmas Eve.

Best just leaving him at right back and let him and Patterson compete for the position.
Plenty of people thought he was mince at right back then as well though

Jesus every bloody season.

Best right back in the league at a canter and still a cry to re position him lol

Patterson will get a chance, he will need to remain patient, but it will come

In the last few weeks I've been wondering if there was any way possible that our team could accommodate both Tav and young Patterson.
If it was possible it would be fantastic if Tav could indeed play in the right side of midfield and let Patterson strut his stuff at right back.
It's not as outlandish a suggestion as some might think...they're two quality footballers and a team can never have enough quality...although I accept that they have to actually have the ability to play in their new positions!
Remember Bert Konterman had his best spell in a Rangers jersey when he moved from centre half to a defensive midfielder just in front of the back four and even the majestic Tugay had the game of his life when he played as a sweeper for us in Europe.
If the natural talent and ability to adapt your game is there then anything is possible!

I've said on another thread that Tav has the ability to play further forward. Whether that happens or not,who knows, but its an option. He plays as a winger most of the time anyway, just receives the ball deeper.

The games a lot easier when you're looking onto the game at all times, I love our Captain but Lahm or Alaba he is not. He's an exceptional RB and when the time comes that he's not the best in that position at our club, he simply becomes our 2nd choice RB than get shoehorned into midfield. Could he do a job there? Absolutely, do we have better already? An awful lot better so let's not weaken the engine room

The games a lot easier when you're looking onto the game at all times, I love our Captain but Lahm or Alaba he is not. He's an exceptional RB and when the time comes that he's not the best in that position at our club, he simply becomes our 2nd choice RB than get shoehorned into midfield. Could he do a job there? Absolutely, do we have better already? An awful lot better so let's not weaken the engine room
Not sure we do have a better option who is consistently available as the right sided number 8 though.

If Jack wasn't injured more often than not then absolutley.

Patterson is too good to be told he needs to be patient, this is the point of the thread.

A club will come along and offer him football if we don't.
Gerrard is the best placed to curb an Academy talent on when they should play and choose the exact moment you elbow an experienced pro out the team. I don't see Patterson being another Gilmour

Not sure we do have a better option who is consistently available as the right sided number 8 though.

If Jack wasn't injured more often than not then absolutley.
Tavs also just had an extended spell on the sidelines, and doesn't come close to what Jack would offer as an 8. We need 1 midfielder for sure and probably 2 because of what you say about Jack

Patterson is too good to be told he needs to be patient, this is the point of the thread.

A club will come along and offer him football if we don't.
The boy knows he is 19 and has only started a few games. He is about to be suspended until next season.

He is going nowhere. He knows that the backroom staff have a solid plan for him. But im 100% sure that doesn't mean the best right back in Scotland playing in midfield

I'm against it but I do take the point that he has the attributes to play that position. Ryan Jack made a similar move I suppose.

But it's a no from me.

Back