Tavernier - post match observation

SuperGers07

Other players would have hid after the tanking he took from some quarters during the week.

Yesterday, again far from his best, he did not hide and kept coming back for more. He set up Goldson with a lovely assist.

But it wasn't that which impressed me most. It was his head was up and he didn't let his own personal poor play yesterday let him down. If something didn't come off, he kept going and tried again.

He will be key in the battles to come.

Not quite reached the heights of last season yet, but he has still been decent enough (apart from Thursday) and gives 100%, 100% of the time and never shirks responsibility.

There's no doubt in my mind he'll start firing on all cylinders again very soon.

(PS: It's easy to forget, but I think he's already at 3 goals and 7 assists? According to stats online at least)

The best players have to put past mistakes behind them and move on & improve on it. If they let it get to them that's when they collapse.

Tav is a good, maybe excellent player. He's not perfect but he's important to what we're attempting to do here and there is noone else in our squad that brings the same as he does at RB

Took far too much criticism during the week. I was guilty of it during the game but once the dust settled on Friday I was a lot more chilled.

If the Europa League is going to cause us to turn on our Captain the midweek before us going top of the SPL then it's not worth it. We've got the money we wanted, lets patch it off before the support turns vitriolic against individuals because if Tav makes a lady's front bottom of it v Porto then you bet the same threads will be appearing.

Tav deserved criticism, but not anywhere near the level he got. Stripped off the captaincy, sell him, bring in Polster, Flanagan is our first choice right back.. A whole lot of bullshit really looking back.

We as a support need to be a bit more streetwise.

Also, for all the shit he's taking for not being as effective this season, he's on pace for 10 goals and 23 assists assuming we have the same number of games as last year.

That's pretty damn good.

Sunday shows the tunnel vision of FF.
Tanernier had a stinker on Sunday, worse than the YB game, he put in one decent cross against Hamilton, against YB he made two costly errors, rest of the game he played well.

I'll repeat what I said on all the Tavernier bashing threads.
He is the best right back since Gary Stevens and best Captain since Davie Weir.
He'll be with us for a long time hopefully and get out of this low confidence period soon.

He's not as good as last season because teams are double and sometimes triple marking him. Their entire defensive gameplan is built around keeping him quiet.

It's part of the reason Barisic has had such success on the other flank.

We also dont need to use him to build every attack.

Barisic, Davis, Jack, Aribo, Jones, Stewart, Morelos

All have been much more involved in our build up play

Too much hysteria was flung in the direction of Tavernier following the game on Thursday. Some of the comments and accusations were ridiculous.

He, like others, will have off days. Unike others there is no replacement that offers the same as the skipper.

I'd like to start a petition to formally recognise the achievement of getting double figures for goals and assists as the double-double, like basketball.

I'd then like to start another petition to have this informally referred to as "doing a Tav" - e.g. Messi is on pace for 30 goals and 18 assists this season, looks like he's going to do a Tav.

He gets left too isolated on the right hand side for me, we often have 5/6 players out on the left then only Tav and maybe Stewart/Arfield on the right. It would explain why he crosses from so deep a lot.

Other players would have hid after the tanking he took from some quarters during the week.

Yesterday, again far from his best, he did not hide and kept coming back for more. He set up Goldson with a lovely assist.

But it wasn't that which impressed me most. It was his head was up and he didn't let his own personal poor play yesterday let him down. If something didn't come off, he kept going and tried again.

Wasnt under any pressure but he didnt put a foot wrong yesterday and put in several great balls which went begging.

Too much hysteria was flung in the direction of Tavernier following the game on Thursday. Some of the comments and accusations were ridiculous.

He, like others, will have off days. Unike others there is no replacement that offers the same as the skipper.

Spot on. Tav had a stinker and thoroughly deserved the criticism that came his way but the abuse was way over the top. He is not the first and won't be the last Gers player to have a stinker.

He is our captain and his quality will eventually shine through after what has bee na sticky start to his season. He deserves our full backing as we charge towards 55.

I'd like to start a petition to formally recognise the achievement of getting double figures for goals and assists as the double-double, like basketball.

I'd then like to start another petition to have this informally referred to as "doing a Tav" - e.g. Messi is on pace for 30 goals and 18 assists this season, looks like he's going to do a Tav.
Fire away.

Post the link on here, when your sorted.

Took far too much criticism during the week. I was guilty of it during the game but once the dust settled on Friday I was a lot more chilled.

If the Europa League is going to cause us to turn on our Captain the midweek before us going top of the SPL then it's not worth it. We've got the money we wanted, lets patch it off before the support turns vitriolic against individuals because if Tav makes a lady's front bottom of it v Porto then you bet the same threads will be appearing.

Tav deserved criticism, but not anywhere near the level he got. Stripped off the captaincy, sell him, bring in Polster, Flanagan is our first choice right back.. A whole lot of bullshit really looking back.

The guys arguing for Flanagan to replace Tav really aren’t worth listening to.

It’s fucking laughable.

Tav will know that himself that he slipped up. But Im delighted the gaffer has backed him, he's an integral part in how we play and I'd say he's had more good games than bad.

His ball in for Goldson.was an absolute peach, he didn’t need to break stride. Idiot behind me was shouting abuse at Tav, the sort of nonsense you read on here ‘I wank dugs you’re not a striker, get back in your own half’. Fucking mental v

Tavs biggest problem for me is adapting his style to suit 'bigger' games.

In tight games he needs to think more defensively.

He is a fantastic asset apart from this.

He hasn’t had the same partnership on the right as he’s had for the past few years and it’s showing. If he could have a constant on the right with him we may see the best again

Some of the stuff about him from Thursday night has been absolutely shocking from "fans".

Even when he's having a poor run of form the goals and assists still continue to come.

I was raging with him on Thursday as well but unfortunately some just have an agenda against him and nothing he can or will do will stop them from continue to hammer him when they get the chance.

Some of his deliveries yesterday, especially after his assist, were sublime.

Back