Tav for the own goal

Status
Not open for further replies.
When will he learn how to defend a cross ball?

Blame Lundstram all you want for their second but that defending from Tavernier was crap.

And we’ll go again next season with him.
I really really hope Stevie G does us a massive favour.

I would take £3m for him now just to get a fee and use for a young back up to Sterling next year

Didn’t think it would take long for the FF zoomers to find a way to blame Tav for today.

Lundstram at fault every day of the week.
There must be communication problems at the back, look at the goal last week against Killie also.

They don’t happen when the defence talks to each other

Didn’t think it would take long for the FF zoomers to find a way to blame Tav for today.

Tav doesn’t get out to Maeda. Maeda had a surprising good first touch but he was on the stretch, Tav backed off and lets him in the box. Poor and then Lundstram is a disaster.

Tav can be criticised without being a zoomer. And Tav had a poor half.

Tavernier has always had that weakness defending the ball in behind him. We saw it in his first game for us and we’ve seen it countless times since.

When Ryan Jack was fit, he played in a position and with an awareness that mitigated Tavernier’s faults. That’s when we saw the best of him.

I have no problem with the prospect of Tavernier staying next season, he still brings a lot to the team going forward, but if he does stay then we have to find a way again to cover for his known weakness.

Aside from Maeda getting inside him far too easy (steady on) again?

He's a point of failure at the goal but again a defensive brain fart puts the ball in the net

Didn’t take long for the Tav lovers to try defending him for that goal. Wasn’t his worst performance against Maeda in this game as a whole, but he shat it for the second goal.

Did you see the second goal. Take it you’re happy with the defending from Tavernier?
Tav was poor for it tbh. No attempt to get even close to Maeda, ball into the box far too easy. It's a defensive instinct to back off when you're up against a guy who's pace you know you can't handle. Beyond that though the goal is down to Lundstram entirely. It's not a ball that's fizzed across at pace. More than a split second to do anything other than what he did.

That only 2 minutes after Oriley had been given the freedom of the edge of box for the 10th time in the game to get a free shot off for their first. Shitshow all round defensively tbh.

Did you see the second goal. Take it you’re happy with the defending from Tavernier?

Yes I saw the goal. Yes I saw Tav fail to block a cross.

A lot needs to happen between not blocking a cross and Celtic scoring. If we want to start apportioning blame for goals conceded then the brunt of it sits with Lundstram.

Stopping a cross come in from a winger is a bit harder than clearing the ball once it’s come to your feet.

When will he learn how to defend a cross ball?

Blame Lundstram all you want for their second but that defending from Tavernier was crap.

And we’ll go again next season with him.
We need to be rid of Gerard’s core losers until that happens we will continue with this cycle of sacking managers when it’s the same players that can’t deliver when it matters! No testimonial year for him his time and Goldson, Lundstrum and Borna time is up in summer, we can’t continue to reward failure we are in this position because of it! I’m now questioning the fact he’s in hall of fame while delivering nothing. Covid was the ceiling for him and others it’s done we need to move on! If only we didn’t gamble and had the same money for Koppen to get better quality players.

Behave. There is every right to lay blame at taverniers door today definitely not wholly culpable but played his part.

Goal 1. Under no pressure on the right in a good attacking area he takes 2/3 of his own players out the game by passing straight to a Celtic player. Balls in the net within 30 seconds.

Goal 2. Anyone who has played football to a remotely average standard knows the man isolated out wide having to take that stretched touch gets closed down. Not stood up to allow his team mates to support. And certainly not allowed to get the ball across.

He wasn’t wholly culpable but he played his part. He’s a nearly man unfortunately is tav. A good footballer who was nearly a great but not quite.

A lot needs to happen between not blocking a cross and Celtic scoring. If we want to start apportioning blame for goals conceded then the brunt of it sits with Lundstram.

Stopping a cross come in from a winger is a bit harder than clearing the ball once it’s come to your feet.

So Tavernier should have done better.

Stop the cross, or at the very least make it much more difficult for the attacker to make a decent cross. It’s really that simple

Behave. There is every right to lay blame at taverniers door today definitely not wholly culpable but played his part.

Goal 1. Under no pressure on the right in a good attacking area he takes 2/3 of his own players out the game by passing straight to a Celtic player. Balls in the net within 30 seconds.

Goal 2. Anyone who has played football to a remotely average standard knows the man isolated out wide having to take that stretched touch gets closed down. Not stood up to allow his team mates to support. And certainly not allowed to get the ball across.

He wasn’t wholly culpable but he played his part. He’s a nearly man unfortunately is tav. A good footballer who was nearly a great but not quite.

Anyone who has played football will know it’s far more difficult blocking a cross from a wide position than it is to not score an OG.

Lundstram costs us the game today but yet we have fans still desperate to find a way to blame Tav.

The fact you even try apportion blame to him for our first goal despite Borna and the whole midfield not doing their job proves my point.

It was a nothing ball and we had enough people back to deal with it easily.

I get that we have to find a way to blame Tavernier but not at fault today. About the only time they got a cross in that side.
I like Tav and have defended him previously but that’s a mental take. He should have been straight out to Maeda as the ball lands at him to put pressure on, not back off and off until he’s in the box. He should attempt to stop the ball coming in, not hope it’s a “nothing ball”. His job is to stop crosses from that side, finding excuses helps no one

I like Tav and have defended him previously but that’s a mental take. He should have been straight out to Maeda as the ball lands at him to put pressure on, not back off and off until he’s in the box. He should attempt to stop the ball coming in, not hope it’s a “nothing ball”. His job is to stop crosses from that side, finding excuses helps no one
Shite crosser on his weaker foot with no one inside the box. It was a non event and if lundstram didn’t finish it no one would remember it.

He constantly gave them the entire left wing in the second half. The Bond villain offside goal he was nowhere to be seen

If you’re wondering when after 9 years at the club and seeing the same mistakes time and time again, that Tavernier will suddenly wake up one morning and channel Paulo Maldini, then you probably need to temper your expectations.

Not saying this as a Tav fanboy, but he is what he is and defending never has been his strength and at this stage of career, never will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back