Tav for the own goal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can we somehow find out who the driver of the team coach is so we can go all the way back to blaming him for driving the players to the stadium before it led to both goals?

Or do we just do that for Tav?

Come on, man. So many people are getting blamed. As much as the abuse of Tav goes over the top at times, how can you not admit he's had another mare? Especially when you're quick to give guys like DangerZone it tight in the opposite direction?

Last edited:
Call me old fashioned, but I like my full backs to defend.

Great that he's scored that many goals but how many goals have we lost from the right hand side?
The fact Alistair Johnston had won more trophies in four months than Tav has in eight years kinda backs up this theory.

Thanks for the goals Tav but it's time to go. We will get a striker in who will take the penalties from now on.

Just watching on sky there, why did tav not go across. Yet again he doesn't even attempt to stop the cross.

Fed up with this from him. Yes he scores goals but we need a defender as well.
He has never laid a finger on that Japanese never mind being booked for fouling him, shows how soft he is and he is our leader on the pitch. He has never had a good game against them.

Drop James Tavernier and we are instantly a better team. His position is suffocating the life out of every other position in that team. He needs Sterling to defend and a winger to create space. All to allow a floating ball put into the box that we have no players capable to get their head onto.
We’ve had Tavernier as the focal point since Warburton, it’s done, time for a new setup.

Because Maeda has his number, he can't cope with the pace. Its a classic full back instinct to back off when he doesn't trust himself up against a guy that's so much quicker than him. Unfortunately he just leaves himself in no man's land and the winger has all the apace in the world to pick his cross. It's not really good enough. I'd rather he punted maeda into the crowd tbh. Tav never seems able to put one on maeda early to let him know he's in for a battle. Not his style.

Standing in no man’s land and giving them space sums up our approach time after time playing this shower. The only time we got in their faces was under Gerrard.

I am not one who comes on here and bashes Tav, but that is his worst piece of defending since he's been at the club. It's absolutely incredible that he doesn't sense that Maeda has a lot of work to do to control that ball and he should be onto him. He literally doesn't even take a step towards him! You wouldn't let school kids defend like that.

Drop James Tavernier and we are instantly a better team. His position is suffocating the life out of every other position in that team. He needs Sterling to defend and a winger to create space. All to allow a floating ball put into the box that we have no players capable to get their head onto.
We’ve had Tavernier as the focal point since Warburton, it’s done, time for a new setup.
I don’t think we’re instantly a better team as the whole setup is catered around covering Tav, giving Tav freedom etc, But yes get him out side and lots all around the team could improve, might be able to get our right winger close to the striker for a change instead of being babysitter

I don’t think we’re instantly a better team as the whole setup is catered around covering Tav, giving Tav freedom etc, But yes get him out side and lots all around the team could improve, might be able to get our right winger close to the striker for a change instead of being babysitter
It’s done, Tavernier needs to leave even if we have to subsidise his wages and put him out on loan. Goldson is another in that bracket.

His role is suffocating and we have others that could influence our game a lot more productively if they weren’t hamstrung by having to centre the team around James Tavernier.

It’s done, Tavernier needs to leave even if we have to subsidise his wages and put him out on loan. Goldson is another in that bracket.

His role is suffocating and we have others that could influence our game a lot more productively if they weren’t hamstrung by having to centre the team around James Tavernier.
100%, Outwith Saudi though who pays James Tavenier the same wages as he gets here? No one, and that’s why I think he stays unfortunately. The teams who would be interested in him don’t pay them wages

Reckon we’re in a net gain or net loss?

Given he’s the top scoring British defender ever.
Reckon if we start building a team that isn’t reliant on a full back (like most other teams on the planet) we should hopefully be just fine.

100%, Outwith Saudi though who pays James Tavenier the same wages as he gets here? No one, and that’s why I think he stays unfortunately. The teams who would be interested in him don’t pay them wages
A bottom tier championship club might take him and he would do a decent job for them but you are right his wages will be far too much for any other team apart from Saudi. A loan option with us paying 50% of his wages will probably be the best outcome we can get. What’s certain is he needs to leave.

Call me old fashioned, but I like my full backs to defend.

Great that he's scored that many goals but how many goals have we lost from the right hand side?
I also prefer my captain holding trophies above his head rather than be on an individual crusade to score goals.

All he’s ever led us to is failure and him and lundstram yesterday were 2 of tge worst performances ive seen against them. Both culpable for both goals. Senior leaders my arse, they are senior liabilities and its time to rip up this senior leadership pish or clement will be sacked before christmas.

Wow, defender that can't defend doesn't defend properly. I am shocked. His time is done. Goals are wonderful, but we need a whole new refresh. It's clear we need a new leadership core that actually has the ability to grab the team by the scruff of the neck.

I liked Tav but he was never a 'good defender' at his peak, he's well past his sell by date now. He has to move on.

Sterling has to be our starting right back next year. Don’t mind Tav staying and being a squad player but it’s time to change the starting team.

We lose his goals yes but it’s never been sustainable to have your top scorer year after year at right back. It needs addressed.

Reckon if we start building a team that isn’t reliant on a full back (like most other teams on the planet) we should hopefully be just fine.
So you’re saying we would be better off if our right back was someone like John Flanagan? Gotcha…

Didn’t think it would take long for the FF zoomers to find a way to blame Tav for today.

Lundstram at fault every day of the week.
You did see it was tav that gave tgem the ball that led to the first goal and it was tav who failed to stop the cross for the 2nd?

Yes Lundstram was appalling but our csptain was very poor as well, for anyone to give him a free pass sums up why we’re so far away from them tbh. Our standards are so low these days, its a long way back as long as everyone doesnt see whats in front of their faces.

The problem is that this fantastic record he has achieved only seems to be benefiting him personally as we’ve won 3 trophies in his time, someone else will take the pens, prob have a no worse conversion record and someone else can over hit / hit near post man with deliveries, or maybe he’ll put it in a dangerous area? I fear him chasing this record will prevent him from leaving as he won’t get pens of up the park much anywhere else while his shortcomings being forgiven.

He's the common denominator in all our failings. He not consistently good enough unfortunately, I couldn't give a toss about penalties scored against the crap in the league, we shouldn't need his penalty numbers to be beating the crap in the league anyway.

When the Celtic captain retires, he'll have a room full of medals. When Tavernier retires he'll have a shelf with a few and his name in a book about scoring goals. I know what one I'd rather have
I’d rather retire a rangers captain than a Celtic captain

FFS a deflected shot for an own goal, let's find a scapegoat . I'm done here for the night

Last week it was him turning it in to his own net because he wasn’t where he was meant to be and stopping the cross in the first place.

Go back to the 3-3 game at Ibrox where it was him not dealing with a simple ball and blootered it off Maeda in to his own net.

If you were to go back over the season about 50% of the goals we concede are from the right back area.

I watched the Arsenal Spurs game last week Roy Keane was rinsing Emerson Royal for his defending he said he couldn’t sense danger and at his age he’ll never learn.

That is Tav he simply can’t defend, and at £40k a week we need better.

If we keep accepting his big game performances, we will keep getting humped. Time for a change.

Another derby he has been tore apart by a bang average maeda. Unsure why some folk are so desperate to defend him. When they win the cup they will match our trophy haul, we need to be ruthless and rid the club of everyone that has seen this happen.

at no point does he close down Maeda so the ball comes in ......... that is all on Tav

Yeah Tav can take some blame for not being quicker on closing down Maeda but ultimately Maeda's cross is poor, not one Celtic player anywhere near it, but still Lundstram inexplicably turns the ball into his own net from 8 yards out.

Not even up for debate, Lundstram 100% at fault for the goal.

I've not read through the thread yet but anyone who has played football at any sort of level knows that if you are playing up against a pacy tricky player that if he is pulling a ball out the air at an awkward height. That is the perfect time to get out quick and shut him down making it as difficult as possible for him to get the ball under control.

He does his usual half hearted jog out. Let's maeda pull the ball out the air. Get his head up, get about 3 touches, stand him up and stick the ball into the danger area. The thing is they have had so much joy with they sort of goals against us over the years yet we do nothing to combat it. Lundstram was a disgrace before his own goal and after but that doesn't take away from the fact that Tav is at fault in the lead up to lundstrams calamity.

Given that half of his goals are penalties and you can safely assume 80-90% of those at least would have been scored anyway, definitely a net loss. We have been shipping goals from the right hand side of defense for years.

Clement will lose his job just like the managers before him for seeing Tav as a leader of the squad. His best days are long gone and have been for years . If sterling who is 2x the defender of Tav leaves cos he can't displace Tav then you can see another manager out of a job.

You are not allowed to mention his defensive shortfalls on here. I took pelters for calling it out about a month ago. Apparently it’s not the priority for a Full Back to defend nowadays.

You are not allowed to mention his defensive shortfalls on here. I took pelters for calling it out about a month ago. Apparently it’s not the priority for a Full Back to defend nowadays.
It’s a taboo subject. A thread that won’t be allowed is “if he should play at the cup final”.
I suspect if you was to put up a vote with such a thread it would now be more towards ”No”than “Yes”.

I also prefer my captain holding trophies above his head rather than be on an individual crusade to score goals.

All he’s ever led us to is failure and him and lundstram yesterday were 2 of tge worst performances ive seen against them. Both culpable for both goals. Senior leaders my arse, they are senior liabilities and its time to rip up this senior leadership pish or clement will be sacked before christmas.
I was worried pre-match about Davies and Souttar however both were fine yesterday whereas our two fullback were partly to blame for both goals.

At least we wont have to watch Barisic against them ever again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back