Tavs Mums letter to the captain

RabGeeRFC20

Bernie Tavernier, captain James Tavernier’s mum

To James (or as everyone knew you when you were young, Mini Tav — and then Big Tav after Marcus came along),

If someone had said to me five years ago that my son was going to be in the Europa final I’d have laughed at them. You dream the biggest dreams for your children but you don’t think that one day you’ll be captain in a game like this.

I should have known, though, as while you were interested in your dad’s cars and motorbikes as a toddler, the main thing was always about kicking something at your feet. It really didn’t matter what.

I would read books about the best way to bring you up and I remember one being about George Best and the best foot to play with. You wanted to take free-kicks like David Beckham and we had a garden that sloped upwards, so we used to make goals at the top and I’d make you practice at the bottom just so you got it perfect in the top corner every time.

We might be having a completely different conversation if you had made a different decision when it came to which sport to play. You were good at swimming too so you had to make a big choice between that and football, but thankfully you chose Big Al’s training in Farsley.

Because you played a year above yourself due to the coach’s son being in your position, we decided they needed a good goalkeeper. For the rest of the season you played in sticks, took free kicks, corners. You did everything. If you could have played as a one-man team, you

There was a thread with a link to the full article in The Athletic, which included advice on how to get around the paywall. There were several letters from players families. Looks like its gone.

Admin may well take the same line regarding lifting and posting single letters. Amounts to the same thing after all.

EDIT: The big threads back up No idea what happened there.

Last edited:
Bernie Tavernier, captain James Tavernier’s mum

To James (or as everyone knew you when you were young, Mini Tav — and then Big Tav after Marcus came along),

If someone had said to me five years ago that my son was going to be in the Europa final I’d have laughed at them. You dream the biggest dreams for your children but you don’t think that one day you’ll be captain in a game like this.

I should have known, though, as while you were interested in your dad’s cars and motorbikes as a toddler, the main thing was always about kicking something at your feet. It really didn’t matter what.

I would read books about the best way to bring you up and I remember one being about George Best and the best foot to play with. You wanted to take free-kicks like David Beckham and we had a garden that sloped upwards, so we used to make goals at the top and I’d make you practice at the bottom just so you got it perfect in the top corner every time.

We might be having a completely different conversation if you had made a different decision when it came to which sport to play. You were good at swimming too so you had to make a big choice between that and football, but thankfully you chose Big Al’s training in Farsley.

Because you played a year above yourself due to the coach’s son being in your position, we decided they needed a good goalkeeper. For the rest of the season you played in sticks, took free kicks, corners. You did everything. If you could have played as a one-man team, you
FFS! Mrs Tav.

The rest please.

Back