Tax Officials Blamed For Rangers Downfall – HMRC Mistake Wipes Millions From Ibrox Bill (The Times)

Puddle-drinkers on twitter seem annoyed that the headline may not be telling the story they were grabbing the popcorn for. It may not have any bearing on us now, but if it puts them back in their box that’s good enough for me.

So the club hasn’t released a statement on it, but we’re meant to believe that a journo has information relating to Rangers’ tax position that’s not in the public domain.

It’s either nothing we can’t already work out for ourselves from publicly available information, nothing to do with the clubs itself, or someone speaking out of turn.
Aye FF could explain it.

Let's see what they say, interesting times ahead.

I'd love HMRC to be held to account for the way in which this whole debacle was handled.

Make no mistake, there are people within that organisation whose soul aim was to damage Rangers.

Wasn't it rumoured we were a test case and that was the reason they were pursuing it so vigorously - even when they couldn't gain very much other than to just damage us.

Did any other high profile EBT cases come after that final ruling??

Wasn't it rumoured we were a test case and that was the reason they were pursuing it so vigorously - even when they couldn't gain very much other than to just damage us.

Did any other high profile EBT cases come after that final ruling??

Supposedly loads of English clubs agreed to repay for fear of being taken to court. The EBT thing is still is going across the board with many individuals who worked as contractors being pursued for unpaid tax.

I wonder what the grounds are for sueing
For a start withheld prize money and transfer fees. Loss of income through demotion (they voted to push down one league,.we could get at least that). Loss of income from the players that left. The use of the 5 way agreement to push us into accepting a one sided deal. There will be other claims, hopefully the board is up for the fight

The Sevcoists will hardly be able to interrupt their nightly recurring dreams about Rangers to fit this one in.

This, amongst other reasons, is probably why the SPL was would up and phoenixed into the SPFL.
Could well be wrong, but I seem to remember an old discussion on here about the SPL and the SPFL still carrying the same registration no. at Companies House, which would make them the same company.

Gooood. Goood :)

Sue the phuck out of them

Edit. Can we use Fatman’s lawyers though o_O

Can’t answer the questions but for anyone who’s interested here’s confirmation it was a simply a re-branding. See ‘previous company names’ towards bottom of page.

Surely if oldco isn't liquidated and Murray has grounds to sue, then doesn't that make it a bit of a nightmare?

Who owns oldco? If the action is successful and it can be proven it shouldn't have been liquidated, do they not have claim over assets that were therefore unnecessarily removed?

Strange one

UEFA would then boot us (and other Scottish clubs) out of Europe.

Not really worth it when our business model relies on European Football.

Totally worth it. :))

Only kidding. I’m only having a bit of fun.

Let’s all wait and see how this one runs.

If it can, in any way, help us then it’s all good

But it’s still a legal entity, it could be re-erected as the company which once operated the Rangers football team.
Exactly, but for now there’s nothing in it.

Nothing to stop the board buying the shares of the oldco, bringing the company out of liquidation and moving the assets back into it. From what I understand though, bringing a company out of liquidation is a very difficult process.

Could we potentially sue the SFA, SPFL and HMRC?

There is no mechanism for suing HMRC in cases like ours. Companies and individuals are free to arrange their tax affairs as they choose. HMRC are free to challenge those arrangements via the courts.

It's often the cost and impact of the challenge that does the damage rather than the tax bill itself - but that's the risk you take when you adopt non-standard mechanisms to lower your tax liabity.

This is why is using EBTs to the tune of millions of pounds was such a massive risk and foolish move, whether it turned out to be legal or not. We could not handle the costs of fighting the case but were in too deep to cut our losses and just pay up like the English teams did.

If I remember right. Before we sold to whyte or bank debt was decreasing. Was it not something like sixteen million. I've always thought that the HMRC claim and the numbers were pure fantasy at best.

The subsequent threat of that and the sale of the club because of that and all the shady things that happened after it could really be put on hrmc.

Maybe that's what the story will be about.

The loss of earnings and assets from oldco, you are into hundreds of millions. This is an utter scandal and I hope we have recourse to sue HMRC ourselves somehow.

Oldco is going to be sitting with a huge surplus after all creditors have been settled. Unprecedented in any other liquidation in UK history.

Effectively we have been put through the last 10 years for nothing.

Someone seriously needs to pay for this.

HMRC have confirmed that they vastly over billed Rangers oldco for EBT tax assessments. The ‘real’ bill would not have been sufficient to see the company sold and then pushed into admin - leading to the club being relegated and all the implications of that. A monumental scandal.

From CRO twitter

I want heads on a plate in that case, a full public enquiry outwith Scotland preferably.

Back