Taxis in Glasgow

You haven’t been paying attention mate.

Taxi trade in Glasgow has been decimated.

You can get a taxi but post midnight on a saturday you can expect a wait.

If I’m being honest pre booking won’t help as city to PRW ain't an attractive hire that drivers will be fighting to do.

If you are getting a hack remember its meter price and it’s easier to get one at the George Square rank. Central is busy and is serviced by a number charlatans.

Good luck.
I agree with everything you say mate, other than the charlatans being specifically at Central Station. It's the same 1428 taxis that service the whole city, and choice of rank largely depends on which direction the driver is coming back into town from.
For instance, coming from the south side, a driver is more likely to go over the bridge onto Oswald Street, across onto the Hope Street feeder rank and then round to Gordon Street.
From the west end, it's more likely that a driver will go onto the rank at The Garage at Charing Cross/Sauchiehall Street.
So the charlatans can be anywhere in the city, and beyond, at any time. Thankfully, the same applies to the good guys.

Was in the queue about 8pm outside central one night, this woman in front gets the next taxi, shouts her man over from the train station.
He comes over and they start arguing because he’d just bought 2 train tickets.
Top of his voice shouts “I’ve just bought tickets for the train ya fkn trumpet”
She starts hitting him, he hits the deck.
Mental
And then some unfortunate taxi or Private Hire driver needs to take rockets like that home.
Every rocket you see on your night out needs to get home at some point, and more than likely he or she is looking for a taxi or Private Hire Car. No wonder the drivers are wary of who they're picking up. The city has a fair amount of anti-social steamers every weekend.

Take care in the Go Urban on Saturday, the SNP are having a Burns Supper there with Herr Sturgeon in attendance :mad:

7-A0-B8511-6-AB3-4-AEE-98-CD-8-F3-B1587-EB2-E.webp
That'll be interesting with the bar area full of guest Bears

As someone said above, the Glasgow taxis app is just like Uber.
Better, in my opinion, actually.

I tried for an Uber on a Friday afternoon from the village hotel, going to near George Square. They kept connecting, connecting, connecting to driver "nearby".
Tried Glasgow cabs, they were there in a minute.
That is drivers not taking jobs to deliberately create a surge in price. Always better in a black hack.

I understand you have no axe to grind, but you called Black Hackneys modern day Dick Turpins. I'm saying they're not, and I explained why they're not.
As per my post. You live outside Glasgow. The driver can quote any price he wants to anywhere outside Glasgow. Most drivers will have a formula that they use to calculate a quote to every location outside the boundary, based on distance and how many drops. Some of them are unscrupulous and let their fellow drivers down by quoting extortionate prices. Most of them, as I know from experience when I lived in North Lanarkshire, offered what I considered a fair price.
I live inside the boundary now and I know my rights in terms of hiring a Glasgow licensed taxi. Inside the City of Glasgow boundary the driver must engage the meter and the passenger pays what's on the meter.
@Ulster Loyal 55 that's the information you need when hiring a Hackney taxi in Glasgow.
100% correct. These days Hackney is cheaper than private.

Similar in Glasgow mate.

Limited to 1400 plates issued by the council. They are technically non transferrable so people had them issued to limited companies so they can sell them on rather than surrender them to the council.

They were going for £40k at one point. Probably closer to £25k-30k in 2019.

Lower now.
I know someone who is asking for £10K for a License and can't get a buyer

I agree with everything you say mate, other than the charlatans being specifically at Central Station. It's the same 1428 taxis that service the whole city, and choice of rank largely depends on which direction the driver is coming back into town from.
For instance, coming from the south side, a driver is more likely to go over the bridge onto Oswald Street, across onto the Hope Street feeder rank and then round to Gordon Street.
From the west end, it's more likely that a driver will go onto the rank at The Garage at Charing Cross/Sauchiehall Street.
So the charlatans can be anywhere in the city, and beyond, at any time. Thankfully, the same applies to the good guys.

£40, £50 & £70 I’ve been quoted for a 10 mile journey at the ranks in recent times :oops:

I know someone who is asking for £10K for a License and can't get a buyer
@Robert Marshall with the introduction of the Low Emission Zone and the lack of available drivers, the price of the License is as low as I’ve known it since my family got involved in the trade in the 1980s with C.U. Taxis Plate No. 1199, and Brown’s Taxis Plate No. 404.
The crazy thing is, the men and women out there driving Hackneys in Glasgow are earning a great wage due to the shortage of available taxis. Too many taxis are sitting in driveways and streets as owners can't get drivers, and they can't drive them 24/7.
Right now it's a cheap business to buy into, with high earnings for owner drivers.

Last edited:
Have a few extra drinks then teleport home, that's what I used to do when I lived closer to town. Only seemed to work when I was really drunk, usually I would wake up the next day on the couch but there was one time it malfunctioned and I woke up in the close.
Obviously your teleporter was a better one than mine Stu, I used to wake up next to some of the most hideous fat birds you've ever seen in obscure bedrooms all over the place.

If last weekend is anything to go by, black hacks in the town have started turning their meters off when it suits them to demand inflated flat fees.
@BillHastings, I'm not trying to be obtuse mate, but how do you know this? Did you hire a black hack and the driver turned his meter off whilst you were on the journey?
Or do you mean black hacks were sitting in non taxi rank locations with their hire lights switched off, waiting for an approach and quoting inflated fares (that could cost the driver his Taxi Driver's license and livelihood by the way. It's immoral and illegal, and just as bad as the Private Hire pirates that do it).
There's a difference between the hire light and the meter.

That is drivers not taking jobs to deliberately create a surge in price. Always better in a black hack.
Utter nonsense!

Better phoning a private hire. Car will be there. You’ll be charged a fare on mileage alone. No hidden ‘extras’. You won’t be ripped off by unscrupulous drivers

£40, £50 & £70 I’ve been quoted for a 10 mile journey at the ranks in recent times :oops:
10 mile journey is £18.70 with Renfrewshire based Private hire

Possibly low £20s after 7pm weekend

It shows just how much more Hack drivers are charging. Something should be done but the council won’t with driver numbers so low. I can’t remember the last time I saw a Taxi Enforcer in the City Centre

@Robert Marshall with the introduction of the Low Emission Zone and the lack of available drivers, the price of the License is, in my opinion, at an all time low.
If the individual asking for £10k halves the asking price I very much doubt there will be a stampede to buy it. Yet the crazy thing is, the men and women out there driving Hackneys in Glasgow are earning a great wage due to the shortage of available taxis. Too many taxis are sitting in driveways and streets as owners can't get drivers, and they can't drive them 24/7.
Right now it's a cheap business to buy into, with high earnings for owner drivers.
If I was 25, I would buy one in a heartbeat, Licence plus top of range Taxi would set you back about £70K, and you could easily make £100K a year if you were willing to do the shifts
You would get 4/5 years out of the Taxi

Definitely a good living can be made at the hacks at the moment. I started in 84 so unwilling do do the crazy hours I used to do , but by all accounts the drivers are doing great particularly at the weekend. Does annoy me however when you hear the public getting ripped off , it does happen sadly.

Utter nonsense!

Better phoning a private hire. Car will be there. You’ll be charged a fare on mileage alone. No hidden ‘extras’. You won’t be ripped off by unscrupulous drivers
By all means promote and encourage people to pre book a Private Hire mate, but you don’t need to wrongly discredit black hacks to strengthen your case.
I’m talking about these hidden ‘extras’ you speak of. The only ‘extras’ in a Glasgow Hackney taxi is the 30p on the meter when you step in and the driver engages the meter. It’s not hidden, it’s completely visible. It’s the 30p the council gave deivers at the last fare rise of 0.84% in September.
Prior to that the extras button has been disabled on every Glasgow taxi meter for years.

By all means promote and encourage people to pre book a Private Hire mate, but you don’t need to wrongly discredit black hacks to strengthen your case.
I’m talking about these hidden ‘extras’ you speak of. The only ‘extras’ in a Glasgow Hackney taxi is the 30p on the meter when you step in and the driver engages the meter. It’s not hidden, it’s completely visible. It’s the 30p the council gave deivers at the last fare rise of 0.84% in September.
Prior to that the extras button has been disabled on every Glasgow taxi meter for years.
Meter keeps going while stationery

Boundary charges

= hidden extras

A previous comment compared a private hire company app being the same as Uber and their extra fees when busy. Simply utter nonsense and couldn’t go unchecked

Uber drivers do log off to make it appear busy so their fares surge. That simply doesn’t happen at private hire

Definitely a good living can be made at the hacks at the moment. I started in 84 so unwilling do do the crazy hours I used to do , but by all accounts the drivers are doing great particularly at the weekend. Does annoy me however when you hear the public getting ripped off , it does happen sadly.
I ve been a private hire driver for 20+ years and can honestly say I’ve never knowingly ripped anyone off. We rely on repeat custom so I’ve never understood why anybody would

It shows just how much more Hack drivers are charging. Something should be done but the council won’t with driver numbers so low. I can’t remember the last time I saw a Taxi Enforcer in the City Centre

It’s a few chancers trying to take advantage. When they overcharge like that I go to the next cab or walk round the corner and get a private on their app. The unscrupulous ones are chasing money out of the trade.

My usual journey home from town is usually £25ish on the meter + a boundary charge.

I think there is a fare increase pending which will push it above £30 on the meter plus the boundary.

Would recommend Uber and GlasGo Cabs. Between the two apps you can see what's cheaper. GGC is usually cheaper and you can pay cash but I always check both.

Meter keeps going while stationery

Boundary charges

= hidden extras

A previous comment compared a private hire company app being the same as Uber and their extra fees when busy. Simply utter nonsense and couldn’t go unchecked

Uber drivers do log off to make it appear busy so their fares surge. That simply doesn’t happen at private hire
Every taximeter calculates the fare by time and distance. It’s hardly hidden, it’s approved by the licensing authority when tariffs come up for review, and it’s clearly written on the tariff card inside the taxi. That doesn’t sound like it’s hidden to me.
See my earlier posts regarding hires beyond the city boundary. The fare must be agreed between the driver and the hirer before the driver starts the journey. So the hirer knows exactly how much is to be paid if it’s a fixed price, or how it will be calculated if it’s meter plus boundary charge. Again, this is explained on the tariff card issued by Glasgow City Council and displayed inside the taxi, so it’s not a hidden extra. It’s crystal clear to the hirer at the start of the journey. Having a dislike of the boundary charge does not make it a hidden extra.
As for Private Hire versus Uber, I didn’t comment on drivers logging off their system. I don’t know enough about that to know how it works or how it can manipulate price surging.

Last edited:

There is absolutely nothing the city council can do regarding what price a driver quotes to any destination beyond the city boundary. For example, the driver of a Glasgow Hackney can quote you £200 to Paisley without breaking any rules. But who in their right mind would pay that. That’s an extreme example to highlight how open it is to fleecing people of their hard earned cash if they’re desperate enough.
The council are only interested in rule breaking where the driver doesn’t engage the taximeter on fares that terminate inside the Glasgow city boundary. That’s where some drivers are perhaps ‘at it’, when they’re quoting highly inflated prices to the likes of Easterhouse and Castlemilk, taking money up front and running without the meter engaged. That is blatantly in breach of their licence, and those rogues should be reported to the council.

Last edited:
Every taximeter calculates the fare by time and distance. It’s hardly hidden, it’s approved by the licensing authority when tariffs come up for review, and it’s clearly written on the tariff card inside the taxi. That doesn’t sound like it’s hidden to me.
See my earlier posts regarding hires beyond the city boundary. The fare must be agreed between the driver and the hirer before the driver starts the journey. So the hirer knows exactly how much is to be paid if it’s a fixed price, or how it will be calculated if it’s meter plus boundary charge. Again, this is explained on the tariff card issued by Glasgow City Council and displayed inside the taxi, so it’s not a hidden extra. It’s crystal clear to the hirer at the start of the journey. Having a dislike of the boundary charge does not make it a hidden extra.
As for Private Hire versus Uber, I didn’t comment on drivers logging off their system. I don’t know enough about that to know how it works or how it can manipulate price surging.
Private hire is DISTANCE only.

Similar in Glasgow mate.

Limited to 1400 plates issued by the council. They are technically non transferrable so people had them issued to limited companies so they can sell them on rather than surrender them to the council.

They were going for £40k at one point. Probably closer to £25k-30k in 2019.

Lower now.
Taxi plate at the moment £1000

Private hire is DISTANCE only.
Yes, I get that.
And Black Hackney Taxis in Glasgow, like taxis in all U.K. local authorities, have a taximeter installed that calculate the fare by distance AND time. But that’s not my point.
My point is, there are no ‘hidden extras’. The fare is right there on the taximeter in front of the passengers’s view. Fully transparent. Not hidden.
If you think there’s something about that that’s hidden, then you and I have a different understanding of the word hidden.

Last edited:
There is absolutely nothing the city council can do regarding what price a driver quotes to any destination beyond the city boundary. For example, the driver of a Glasgow Hackney can quote you £200 to Paisley without breaking any rules. But who in their right mind would pay that. That’s an extreme example to highlight how open it is to fleecing people of their hard earned cash if they’re desperate enough.
The council are only interested in rule breaking where the driver doesn’t engage the taximeter on fares that terminate inside the Glasgow city boundary. That’s where some drivers are perhaps ‘at it’, when they’re quoting highly inflated prices to the likes of Easterhouse and Castlemilk, taking money up front and running without the meter engaged. That is blatantly in breach of their licence, and those rogues should be reported to the council.
100% correct.

Licence isnt the problem Robert its the 50/60k thats needed for a cab thats the obstacle.

That and the fact that you cant get a driver as the twats in the council licensing are sitting at home scared of covid and not processing licence applications.
As I said, if I was 25, I would buy one in a heartbeat
£70K for a ready-made successful business earning £100K a year working 4 shifts, I can't believe young guys aren't queuing up to buy them

As I said, if I was 25, I would buy one in a heartbeat
£70K for a ready-made successful business earning £100K a year working 4 shifts, I can't believe young guys aren't queuing up to buy them
No chance of 100k a year on 30 games a year plus showing away games you must be approaching a million a year

Mate you are doing a good job trying to defend private hire but have you never seen them all over Glasgow pirating. Different licensing authorities. You can’t get a Renfrewshire private to take you back from Glasgow for the low 20s as the can make more with less fuel running around Paisley or similar. Been driving hacks for 25 years now and I just don’t go out the Glasgow boundary any more. Can’t be bothered arguing with people who say a Renfrewshire cab is only low 20s home but they can’t get one so will I go for that . Why would I as from central station to say shettelston is about £15 less fuel and a pick up straight away rather than running back from Renfrewshire empty.

If I was 25, I would buy one in a heartbeat, Licence plus top of range Taxi would set you back about £70K, and you could easily make £100K a year if you were willing to do the shifts
I very much doubt you’d be making anywhere near 100k a year profit.

Time you take Car costs, insurance, licence fees off. There are a lot of outgoings

Mate you are doing a good job trying to defend private hire but have you never seen them all over Glasgow pirating. Different licensing authorities. You can’t get a Renfrewshire private to take you back from Glasgow for the low 20s as the can make more with less fuel running around Paisley or similar. Been driving hacks for 25 years now and I just don’t go out the Glasgow boundary any more. Can’t be bothered arguing with people who say a Renfrewshire cab is only low 20s home but they can’t get one so will I go for that . Why would I as from central station to say shettelston is about £15 less fuel and a pick up straight away rather than running back from Renfrewshire empty.
Agree 100%. I just don’t understand the PH drivers who sit in Glasgow or chase hires to Glasgow. I’d rather run about Johnstone , Linwood etc etc. I can do 4 or 5 locals in the time it takes to get to City and back. Then you have to add in the amount of times you run up there and your customer has pissed off in a hack. I just took offence at some wholly inaccurate claims regarding PH drivers and the way it works

The company I work for is probably the most reputable in the Renfrewshire area and reason I’ve stayed for 20+ years but unfortunately strong rumours Renfrewshire cabs have made them an offer they cannot refuse. I hate the thought of lining fat boys pockets

Back