Team for Feyenoord

True Blue Avenger

Probably the first of about 10 identical threads in the run up to our EL opener on Thursday. What do we reckon for the starting 11?

Obviously some injuries to contend with (Kent, Jones) and think we're all praying that Ryan Jack makes it his he's such a vital cog in how we play, especially in a tight game like this. If he's not fit enough, then think it's time to see what Andy King can do from the start.

Given the injuries to our forward players, I would go for this.

McGregor
Tav Hellander Katic Barasic
Jack/King Davis Aribo
Kamara Barker
Morelos

The big calls in the above would be leaving out 2 of the gaffers go-to guys in Goldson and Arfield but I personally think it would be merited given recent loss of form. In their place, Hellander in from the start and Kamara playing slightly more advanced like he does for Finland. Ojo on the bench to hopefully make an impact later on.

But the likelihood is that I cant ses the gaffer dropping either so every chance it could be same starting 11 from yesterday with exception of Barasic and Barker in for Halliday and Kent.

Shagger
Tav
Goldson (like it or not)
Katic
Barisic
Aribo
Davis
Arfield
Barker
Morelos
Ojo

This is what I think Gerrard will play;

McGregor
Tavernier Goldson Helander Barisic
Davis Kamara Jack
Arfield Morelos Barker

If Jack isn’t fit then likely Aribo in there.

I'd personally like to.see some change to the centre half pairing. I think Katic will drop out for the home games and we might see Hellandar start being introduced.
These games are really just money spinners. Bonus if we somehow make it out the group but realistically, these play second fiddle to our domestic campaign.

Probably the first of about 10 identical threads in the run up to our EL opener on Thursday. What do we reckon for the starting 11?

Obviously some injuries to contend with (Kent, Jones) and think we're all praying that Ryan Jack makes it his he's such a vital cog in how we play, especially in a tight game like this. If he's not fit enough, then think it's time to see what Andy King can do from the start.

Given the injuries to our forward players, I would go for this.

McGregor
Tav Hellander Katic Barasic
Jack/King Davis Aribo
Kamara Barker
Morelos

The big calls in the above would be leaving out 2 of the gaffers go-to guys in Goldson and Arfield but I personally think it would be merited given recent loss of form. In their place, Hellander in from the start and Kamara playing slightly more advanced like he does for Finland. Ojo on the bench to hopefully make an impact later on.

But the likelihood is that I cant ses the gaffer dropping either so every chance it could be same starting 11 from yesterday with exception of Barasic and Barker in for Halliday and Kent.

You're dropping Goldson for Helander?

Why mate?

I wouldn't change any of our central defenders, but if I was, it would be Katic dropping out.

He was very poor yesterday, but like I say I wouldn't be changing them.

No chance Kamara will be playing off the striker either.

McGrergor

Tav
Goldson
Helander
Borna

Kamara
Jack
Aribo

Arfield
Morelos
Barker

That’s my bet.

A very likely side, although I'd probably persevere with Katic, despite his poor showing in the last 2 games.

You're dropping Goldson for Helander?

Why mate?

I wouldn't change any of our central defenders, but if I was, it would be Katic dropping out.

He was very poor yesterday, but like I say I wouldn't be changing them.

No chance Kamara will be playing off the striker either.

Why does Katić deserve to be dropped (if any of the two CB's are) when Goldson made a more costly mistake in a bigger game and wasn't dropped. Katić has made mistakes this season but overall he's been better than Goldson. Goldson distribution is brutal.

We will see one or two changes in defence on Thursday. Then again next Sunday.

I'll be stunned if Barker starts, Kamara will come in and probably Helander. BB is anyones guess but I would have thought he comes back in.

I'd personally like to.see some change to the centre half pairing. I think Katic will drop out for the home games and we might see Hellandar start being introduced.
These games are really just money spinners. Bonus if we somehow make it out the group but realistically, these play second fiddle to our domestic campaign.

Totally with you on this! King, Helander, Barker, Kamara and even Edmundson should play on thursday if they are not considered to be 1st team regulars. Its not like its last few years subs i.e - holt, dodoo, sadiq and mcauley.

How do you come to this conclusion lol!?

Maybe because he's got eyes? Who knows what the manager will do but I think he will go for experience against good quality opposition.

You never like to piss in the cornflakes of people but Barker looked out of his depth yesterday-yes he scored a very good goal-I saw Grezda score two once-it doesn't always mean a player is at the required level.

Team will likely be
McGregor
Tavernier Goldson Katic Barisic
Davis Kamara Aribo
Ojo Arfield
Morelos

I would have played Barisic, Helander (ahead of Goldson) and King yesterday to get them back up to speed for the upcoming domestic games. With injuries etc I would be tempted to change the system completely but I can’t see that happening (would have been ideal to try a different system in the friendlies)
McGregor
Katic Goldson Helander
Tavernier Davis Kamara Barisic
Arfield Ojo/Aribo
Morelos

Maybe because he's got eyes? Who knows what the manager will do but I think he will go for experience against good quality opposition.

You never like to piss in the cornflakes of people but Barker looked out of his depth yesterday-yes he scored a very good goal-I saw Grezda score two once-it doesn't always mean a player is at the required level.

Two words mate:

Man City

Why does Katić deserve to be dropped (if any of the two CB's are) when Goldson made a more costly mistake in a bigger game and wasn't dropped. Katić has made mistakes this season but overall he's been better than Goldson. Goldson distribution is brutal.

We will see one or two changes in defence on Thursday. Then again next Sunday.

I said I wouldn't drop either, but I thought Katic was very poor yesterday and struggled with the physicality and pace of the Livi striker.

Both him and Goldson were poor v the mentally challengeds (as most were) and both were culpable for their 1st goal.
Goldson with a shocking pass and Katic with a schoolboy attempt to play Edouard offside and give him a clear run in on goal.

As I said though, I wouldn't change either, as they've both been outstanding in our Europa games so far.

A change is more likely for Sunday I feel.

Reactions: cav
What's the point in signing players like Barker if they aren't trusted to start vs. Feyenoord when our other two left wingers are out injured.

He's probably played more football than Aribo, he's played at a higher level too.

Get Barker, King, Helander involved.

I’d drop goldson without a doubt - Gerrard has a massive blindspot where he’s concerned. We spent about £3m on him and he’s average at best. Time to see if Helander can be one of the few players that we’ve spent good cash on that can actually properly cut it. We can’t be spending a fortune on experienced subs or squad players. Arfield for now I would keep in the team for Feyenoord but he’s got to give himself a shake.

I was surprised Helander didn't start yesterday, l can see Goldson and Katic starting Thursday with Borna at left back. I actually thought Barker looked lively in the 2nd half yesterday so might have played himself into the team bearing in mind Kent's injury.

I'll be stunned if Barker starts, Kamara will come in and probably Helander. BB is anyones guess but I would have thought he comes back in.
He may go with Ojo on the left and Arfield on the right.
I think well be more defensive as Feyenord are a good team.

Back