Team for Lyon

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Pontiac Bandit

What is everyone thinking about the starting lineup on Thursday.

I think we will use the opportunity to give a few players minutes.

I would go.

McLaughlin

Bassey
Balogun
Goldson
Patterson

Jack
Lundstram
Baccuna

Sakala
Roofe
Wright

Would rest Tav, Borna, Alfie, Kent, Davis, Kamara, Aribo, Arfield, and McGregor and take the B team for the subs.

In a perfect world we would be able to rest Goldson but don't see how we can.

Last edited:
Yeah its a game to protect our players for sunday.

Davis will not play both games... Patterson should be given some game time...

We have a squad good enough to rest players, and win the game IMO.

McLaughlin

Patterson Goldson Bassey Borna

Jack Lundstram Bacuna

Wright Roofe Sakala

The B team are playing tomorrow in the YCL, but hopefully a couple of the guys on the B list will be on the bench for our game like McClelland/King/Lowry/Devine.

Not much can be changed in the defence due to injuries if any change it would be Patterson for Tav. Front 3 and midfield can be changed without to much hassle and then those being rested can be put on the bench.

I think it would be wreckless to majorly disrupt the team , best spread the load across the two games of course but that can be done partly by substitutions on Thu then on Sun .

There is also prestige , points , coefficients and prize money on Thursday

McClaughlin is NOT in the European squad so can’t play.

I’d continue with Shagger for consistency because it seems to have helped his form.

McGregor
Patterson Goldson Balogun Bassey
Lundstram Jack
Bacuna
Sakala Morelos Kent

Edit: seen I’ve been corrected on the keeper point, must have been confused about the covid absence earlier this year. Anyway I would persist would Shagger because for me it’s no coincidence that his poor form early in the season occurred when Gerrard was rotating him in and out the team

Last edited:
don't see too much rotation.... very decent money at stake here for 1/3 pts which cannot be taken lightly plus GVB so far seems to be heavy on continuity and experience. squeeze everything out of the main players over this month and we can take stock during the new year break

I don’t think we will make more than 4 or 5 changes. A chance for Patterson, Lundstram, Bacuna and Roofe but the manager will see it a precious time to work with the team on his specific tactics

McClaughlin is NOT in the European squad so can’t play.

I’d continue with Shagger for consistency because it seems to have helped his form.

McGregor
Lundstram Jack
Bacuna
Sakala Morelos Kent
He is in the squad he's been on the bench for every group game.

Be interesting if Lyon are Making nosies about a weakened team as may let the likes of Kelly get minutes. As good as an extra €600k is, I want 3 points Sunday

McGregor

Jack Lundstram Bacuna

Sakala Roofe Wright

Rest Kamara, Davis, Aribo, Barisic, Morelos, Arfield & Tav.

Maybe even McLaughlin for Mcgregor too.

Be interesting if Lyon are Making nosies about a weakened team as may let the likes of Kelly get minutes. As good as an extra €600k is, I want 3 points Sunday
Lyon are 12/13th, 7 points from the relegation zone and only a few from the top 4 as well. With them playing the champions this weekend, and having topped the group - I’d be surprised if it is a starting 11.

It’ll still be good players like Demebel, Cherki and Slimani but not their starting 11 I reckon, I think we’re good enough for the 3 points - even if we rotate.

Sunday is too important and Thursday means little, even with our best team out beating Lyon away for the winners money isn't likely.

Why run our main players into the ground in a pretty meaningless game? This game should be used to test squad players and give them fitness. Obviously some first team players have to play but it should be the bare minimum considering the run of games we have until the winter break.

McCrorie/McLaughlin
Patterson
Goldson
Balogun (if available)
Bassey (Barisic at LB if Balogun isn't available)
Lundstrom
Jack/Kelly
Bacuna
Roofe
Wright
Sakala

Wholesale changes and focus on Sunday.

McLaughlin
Patterson MacKinnon Balogun Borna
Jack Lundstram Bacuna
Wright Sakala Lowry

Give a couple of the youngsters a run out.

squeeze everything out of the main players over this month and we can take stock during the new year break
Foolhardy.

We talk of having a stronger squad than Celtic and then we aren’t going to use it.

What is everyone thinking about the starting lineup on Thursday.

I think we will use the opportunity to give a few players minutes.

I would go.

McLaughlin

Bassey
Balogun
Goldson
Patterson

Jack
Lundstram
Baccuna

Sakala
Roofe
Wright

Would rest Tav, Borna, Alfie, Kent, Davis, Kamara, Aribo, Arfield, and McGregor and take the B team for the subs.

In a perfect world we would be able to rest Goldson but don't see how we can.
That's exactly the starting 11 I'd go with.

I'd also like to see Stephen Kelly come on for Ryan Jack at some point, knowing that Jack won't last the full game.

600k is good but 25m champions league money is better, and beating hearts would contribute to that. Rest the key players and start Patterson, Bacuna, Wright, Sakala, Jack, Roofe (I count Roofe and Jack as key but they need minutes).

It’s basically a dead rubber and I’d rather beat hearts and get beat off Lyon than vice versa. I’m sure the guys who haven’t been playing would give 100% to try and impress whereas if we play all the regulars they might have a thought of Sunday in the back of their heads anyway.

Lyon are 12/13th, 7 points from the relegation zone and only a few from the top 4 as well. With them playing the champions this weekend, and having topped the group - I’d be surprised if it is a starting 11.

It’ll still be good players like Demebel, Cherki and Slimani but not their starting 11 I reckon, I think we’re good enough for the 3 points - even if we rotate.
Bold shout but i love it.

Wouldn't play Goldson, Bassey or Borna, we are short im defence as it is without any of them picking up an injury.

Don't mind who we play in defence on Thursday just too risky getting anymore injuries there at the minute

I would make several changes for the game and agree with op’s team

We have 3 league games in 6 days next week. Sunday-Wednesday-Saturday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back