Team for Malmo

Shagger
Tav Goldson helander borna
Davis Lundstram aribo
Wright sakala Kent

But I think SG will go itten over Sakala and may also start Arfield

I think you go with a team and a blend you know and has been proven for the away leg .

mcgregor

Tavernier
Goldson
Helander
Barisic

arfield
Davis
Aribo

hagi
Itten
Kent

And if Ianis ain’t fit to start then it’s Wright who’s next up

edit: the other option i see is Lundstram starts in MF and Aribo goes to frontline

Last edited:
I would play Itten instead of Sakala there is a serious problem for Malmo with non tracking of runners.

Itten will have areas to go to drag people and flick / play others in those areas to hurt them.

Kent and Wright also more familiar with Itten and our patterns of play, felt we missed a lot yesterday with Sakala still getting his bearings.

We move on.

No Balogun, Kamara or Roofe, Morelos probably not available, Hagi maybe injured, Jack definitely injured. Let's hear it.

McGregor
Tavernier Goldson Helander Barišić
Lundstram Davis Arfield/Aribo
Wright Itten Kent
I think we start with sakala, I reckon he’ll get space to run into.

McGregor
Tavernier Goldson Balogun Barišić
Lundstram Davis Aribo
Wright Itten Kent

Assuming Hagi joins the list of unavailable players:

McGregor
Tav Goldson Helander Barisic
Lundstram Davis Arfield
Aribo Sakala Kent

Subs: McLaughlin, Patterson, Simpson, Bassey, Kelly, Wright, Itten

Probably harsh on Wright but think he’d be a nice option to bring off bench.

From the first tie, I’d be happy for either Fashion or Ced to play. Sakala will force them to sit slightly deeper for fear of a ball over the top.
Ced can hold the ball up and drag their defence out of position , allowing Kent, Wright, Aribo, Arfield etc to make the 3rd man run in behind.
They were poor v Helsinki, and Helsinki were rotten.

We move on.

No Balogun, Kamara or Roofe, Morelos probably not available, Hagi maybe injured, Jack definitely injured. Let's hear it.

McGregor
Tavernier Goldson Helander Barišić
Lundstram Davis Arfield/Aribo
Wright Itten Kent
Wright is a must start him and kent should run a mock

From the first tie, I’d be happy for either Fashion or Ced to play. Sakala will force them to sit slightly deeper for fear of a ball over the top.
Ced can hold the ball up and drag their defence out of position , allowing Kent, Wright, Aribo, Arfield etc to make the 3rd man run in behind.
They were poor v Helsinki, and Helsinki were rotten.
I watched HJK in Malmö and they really pushed both fullbacks up and wide so the CD was about 15 yards deeper and split against one striker . Somewhat risky setup which I’m. It sure they will use vs us .
left back in particular looked a little vulnerable to me .

I’d like to see Arfield and Itten starting. Both Itten and Sakala if Hagi doesn’t make it - otherwise Itten and Hagi.

McGregor

Tav
Goldson
Helander
Barisic

Kamara
Arfield
Davis

Kent
Itten
Hagi / Sakala

Despite most of the teams posted I think we might go with a midfield of Lundstram, Davis and Arfield, with Aribo further forward

Kent and Sakala up front for their pace

I just feel that Itten would have played a part at the weekend if he was going to start.

If Hagi is fit he'll probably be in for Arfield

Assuming Hagi joins the list of unavailable players:

McGregor
Tav Goldson Helander Barisic
Lundstram Davis Arfield
Aribo Sakala Kent

Subs: McLaughlin, Patterson, Simpson, Bassey, Kelly, Wright, Itten

Probably harsh on Wright but think he’d be a nice option to bring off bench.
Did I not read somewhere that Patterson wasn't in the European squad; that he was in the 'B' List or something. Would be hard to believe I know, so can anyone clarify.

Did I not read somewhere that Patterson wasn't in the European squad; that he was in the 'B' List or something. Would be hard to believe I know, so can anyone clarify.

Like other youth players he can play without going in the main squad.

Despite most of the teams posted I think we might go with a midfield of Lundstram, Davis and Arfield, with Aribo further forward

Kent and Sakala up front for their pace

I just feel that Itten would have played a part at the weekend if he was going to start.

If Hagi is fit he'll probably be in for Arfield
Ye it’s a point the HnH guys have mentioned I think , now this squad is pretty large there is a challenge for opponents to forecast our selections if not our format .

Potentially a few unknowns

McGregor

Tavernier
Goldson
Helander
Barisic

Davis
Arfield
Lundstram

Aribo
Kent

Itten

Would be my choice as well. Don’t like Aribo playing in the midfield 3. Think he’s far better playing off the striker.

Can bring Sakala on for his pace in the second half.

McGregor
Tav, Goldson, Helander, Barisic
Lundstram, Davis, Arfield
Wright, Sakala, Kent

Back