Team for Thursday 3-5-2

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a good reason to consider going 3-5-2 tomorrow.

Porto, per Football Stewart, have played a 4-4-2 the last four games and he anticipates that they'll keep it for tomorrow.

3-5-2 is naturally suited to combat a 4-4-2. Allows us to pick up both strikers and have a man spare, while still having an extra man in the middle of the park.

I still think the chances of seeing it are small, but increased.

"3 at the back?", "Tavernier as a right winger?", "Should XXXXX be dropped after recent poor game?", just a small sample of threads that are regurgitated week in, week out on FF.

This is a massive game for us, not exactly time to be experimenting. We "experimented" against Motherwell with the 3-5-2 and look how that panned out. Pre-season is when you experiment, not in a massive Europa League tie.

It's an opinion mate.
I know but it makes no sense , we have lost two games all season playing our formation , also we are playing probably the best team we have played yet and you want us to play an untried formation and go two up top , also who comes on if Defoe or Morelos gets injured ? And that leaves us with one recognised striker at the club.

I'm not saying that it doesn't work. I'm saying why don't we try something new. Loads of teams change their system depending on the game so I'm not seeing what's wrong with that.
Definitely not madness.

Correct, it’s beyond madness. Who in their right mind would change the system as drastically going into what will probably be the best team we’ve played all season? Also Defoe and Alfie up front will not work, people should get that completely out of their mind. Alfie is a lone striker, he doesn’t play in partnership up top.

Porto, per Football Stewart, have played a 4-4-2 the last four games and he anticipates that they'll keep it for tomorrow.

3-5-2 is naturally suited to combat a 4-4-2. Allows us to pick up both strikers and have a man spare, while still having an extra man in the middle of the park.

Sorry but you’re talking mince.

To ignore football stewart would be incredibly reckless.

Correct, it’s beyond madness. Who in their right mind would change the system as drastically going into what will probably be the best team we’ve played all season? Also Defoe and Alfie up front will not work, people should get that completely out of their mind. Alfie is a lone striker, he doesn’t play in partnership up top.

I dont agree at all why would a quality forward not be able to play with a strike- partner i dont even think that makes any sense at all.

I dont agree at all why would a quality forward not be able to play with a strike- partner i dont even think that makes any sense at all.

He’s been a lone striker throughout his career. He’s never played in a pair, he’s been with us for over 2 years and never had to play with a partner. He’s came through during a generation where only a very small amount of teams play with twin strikers. He’s learned the game as a lone striker. His movement is that of a lone striker. Name 3 top class strike pairings in world football at the moment if it’s as simple as just throwing 2 strikers together. Whilst it’s not happened often, every time we’ve thrown him and Defoe on together the shape of the team has gone to pot.

McCoist and Hateley worked because they knew the role of twin strikers inside out, it didn’t just happen because they were top players.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back