Team for Thursday 3-5-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

BougieBougie

Should Gerrard give this a go. In my opinion it's a free hit. Not really expecting anything from the game(a point would be a bonus) and it would also give another formation a go. Also give Alfie and Defoe a run out together up top.

Thoughts??

If he’d fancied giving it a go he would have done so in pre-season friendlies or against the likes of St Joseph’s.

Its a formation that gets touted every time we fail to win. Gerrard has never used it at Rangers in any meaningful way.

So, to answer your question, no we shouldn’t give it a go on Thursday. And we won’t.

I don’t like 3 at the back, although we do have 4 very capable center half’s and the thought of Defoe and Allie playing up is magic.

This is the game id expect to see 1 centre play fair enough but in league games, come on if its not going to plan at least attempt to do something different and go with a partnership up front.

Not for me as I don't think it's the time to test things.

As for not realky expecting anything, not with you on that either. This is going to be a very tight group and whilst it's no easy game I don't see why we shouldn't be believing we can take something.

Personally can see, and would be happy with, a 1-1 draw right now.

What makes you think our formation doesnt work

Scoofed the qualifiers and practically joint top of league and in a semi final???

1 rough game and you want to change the whole system and start again.

Madness.
I'm not saying that it doesn't work. I'm saying why don't we try something new. Loads of teams change their system depending on the game so I'm not seeing what's wrong with that.
Definitely not madness.

I'm not saying that it doesn't work. I'm saying why don't we try something new. Loads of teams change their system depending on the game so I'm not seeing what's wrong with that.
Definitely not madness.
Trying a new formation away from home against a good European side is madness. Or formation on the whole works and I expect us to put in a good performance and fight hard for points on thursday.

Our results and tactics in Europe for for the most part have been exemplary. We are very good at playing our system in Europe; so not sure it would be wise to suddenly change it on a whim in Europe, away from home against one of the best teams we have come across in best part of a decade.

Definitely not madness.

So you think trying a formation the players have not done all season is the way to go against top european opposition and its not madness.

Youve just admitted yourself that our formation works so why change it.

Let me ask this, would you still be asking for this formation change had we won 1-0 against hearts on sunday there???

I think we have the players to go with an effective 3-5-2. I'm intrigued to see how it would go. But...

Fucking no chance of that happening on Thursday! Indeed I can't see it happening this season. As mentioned above, pre-season or the early Uefa rounds was the place to experiment. Right now every game is meaningful.

So you think trying a formation the players have not done all season is the way to go against top european opposition and its not madness.

Youve just admitted yourself that our formation works so why change it.

Let me ask this, would you still be asking for this formation change had we won 1-0 against hearts on sunday there???
Yes I have been asking the question for a while. And the the players should be able to adapt to any new system they are asked to play in no??

Yes I have been asking the question for a while. And the the players should be able to adapt to any new system they are asked to play in no??

Not really mate its naw champ manager youre playing, its not a case of just changing formation, you then change everything youve been working on in a whole different direction.

And after securing europe barely losing a goal and only a poor display against celtic why have you been wanting this change a while?

If we were 3rd in league or out a cup or looking dodgey every game id see your point, reality is we have played a hell of alot of games including euro qualifiers and been beaten twice with only a small number of goals against us.

We need to cut out daft mistakes

It was individual errors that cost us goals vs celtic hearts and young boys not the formation.

Last edited:
Reactions: GF7
Not really mate its naw champ manager youre playing, its not a case of just changing formation, you then change everything youve been working on in a whole different direction.

And after securing europe barely losing a goal and only a poor display against celtic why have you been wanting this change a while?

If we were 3rd in league or out a cup or looking dodgey every game id see your point, reality is we have played a hell of alot of games including euro qualifiers and been beaten 3 times with only a small number of goals against us.

We need to cut out daft mistakes

It was individual errors that cost us goals vs celtic hearts and young boys not the formation.
Been beaten twice ;)

Can't see it and I think we'll start with the tried and tested RJ coming back will be a boost,I haven't any info on how good/bad the current Porto team is,but if we bring our A game and are at it from the off,I think we can take the points. I think I'd put Kent in for Ojo to start,just think he's too laboured at times.

I think 3-5-2 is absolutely a viable option as a formation to be used in certain games however...

It needs a helluva lot of time and effort to be drilled into the players both in training and practice matches to become remotely effective,a failure to prepare properly leads to a performance akin to one when we tried it against Murderwell(last season I think?) which was defensively a disaster.

In short,we haven't practised it regularly whatsoever so it's just a non-starter right now.And we're not doing too badly in the grand scheme of things for the staff to start ripping up formations at this point during the season.The next sensible time to think about trying it would be the winter break,but I sense the gaffer is content with what we're doing thus far.

Let’s play an entirely new formation to our team, manager and footballing philosophy against PORTO!

The best time we've had to try a 352 is the past couple of weeks when we've had three wide men out injured. A team of
McGregor
Katic goldson helander
Tav jack Davis barisic
Arfield
Morelos defoe

Means we wudnt have had to play any wingers. But the fact that he hasn't tried it by now makes me think its not something hes looking at right now

Jose Mourinho, in his prime, spent an entire week on the training field tweaking his formation for one game.

You need to remember it's not just a case of you three stand there and you 5 stand there. You need to go over all the different moments of the game- all the transitions and when and where we would press or how we would look to build the play up or what we do when we lose the ball.

But we've had 2 trainin sessions if we are lucky since Hearts and only two in a fortnight prior to Hearts as well.

"A free hit" - ffs, we should be able take something. You'd think we're playing Man City the way some folk have posted. Feyenoord beat Porto, and they struggled past Young Boys in the first game, so really toiling to understand where this thinking that they're a level above comes from...

Should Gerrard give this a go. In my opinion it's a free hit. Not really expecting anything from the game(a point would be a bonus) and it would also give another formation a go. Also give Alfie and Defoe a run out together up top.

Thoughts??

There's no "free hit" on Thursday.

We're in a wide open section mate.

We've got the best defensive record in the country and individual mistakes don't disappear just because you change formation.

We're top of the league, the only game we've lost in Europe this season was down to individual errors from Tav and McGregor, so I don't see the point in changing to a formation we haven't used for over a year, plus it will mean excluding our £7 million signing.

This idea that its difficult to change formation makes me laugh.

No its not football manager, a quick tap of the controller.... but its probably just as simple.

We dont need to forget about playing this system but in games like the Hearts match it was obvious our midfield was not at it and one or two didnt seem to fancy the physical scrap. 4-4-2 or a system that gives us a partnership in attack we might possibly have sneaked it by playing back to front. We all accept we have 2 excellent forwards to not let them play together makes little sense.

If the same thing happens at Ross, reffed by Bobby Madden which is always an issue for us as he will allow them to blooter while looking for any excuse to show yet another Rangers red, i will for the first time be a little bit pissed off with our manager. Thats the reason hes there to change things and find the answers when it nots going so well not to just watch like the rest of us and hope for the best.

No. You can't change the system for an away game in Europe or you are asking for trouble as we will lose our fluency from familiarity.

Thoughts??
Not really expecting anything from the game?

Bet you were glad we took a point off Hearts on Sunday.

Aye, away in Europe, exactly the time to try an untested formation :rolleyes:
A game where if we take anything it’s a massive boost to our qualification to the next round.

Shagger
Tav helander goldson katic barasic
Jack(if fit) Davis kamara
Defoe Morelos
Barisic plays it far to safe to give us our attacking width.

Getting Alfie and Defoe on the pitch at the same time sounds appealing but I don’t think this is the way. (Not Porto away though)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back