Team for Wed?

Alnwick
Martin Bates Cardoso
Candeias Docherty Goss John
Murphy
Cummings Morelos

Needed game time for Alnwick, Martin, Cardoso, Docherty, Goss, Murphy and Cummings. Rest for Windass, Tav (enforced but required perhaps), Holt. Get Morelos off early second half, if not just start Herrera instead.

I’d go 4-4-2 for it

Wes

Hodson
Bates
Martin
John

Candeias
Goss
Docherty
Murphy

Morelos
Cummings

Subs
Kelly, cardoso, windass, Atakayi, Halliday, Herrera, Barjonas

Do we really need a recognised RB for this game? maybe Candeais or Holt to fill in, don't see what's to be gained with Hodson.

I was thinking the same, didn’t Halliday fill in at rb or lb once? Maybe him

Alnwick

Hodson
Cardoso
Bates
John

Halliday
Holt
Docherty

O'Halloran
Cummings
Murphy

We should be able to play several fringe players, the opposition are non league.

Alnwick

Hodson
Cardoso
Bates
John

O'Halloran
Halliday
Docherty
Murphy

Cummings
Hererra

Chance to get minutes into some legs. Candeias ran himself into the ground today amd cramped up towards the end so the rest will do him well.
Give Cummings an hour to see what he can do in that time and save El Buffalo for Hivs.

Martin hasnt played much and is ageing so wouldnt risk 3 games in 6 days with him.

It's not risking it. We have a squad and we must use it. It's no excuse for that line up to not go out and win the game comfortably. Only team than can beat us on Wednesday is ourselves, no matter what line up we go with

Alnwick
Martin
Hodson
Cardoso
Bates
Barjonas
Goss
Murphy
Halliday
Cummings
Herrera

Kelly
Atakayi
Ohalloran
Wilson
Candeias
Morelos
Holt

Gives new and fringe players more game time, and gives the others a well earned rest, candieas Alfie and holt only brought on in case of emergency

I would play the diamond in midfield with attacking full backs providing the width as we should have to do too much defending if our attitude is right. And I can’t bring myself to include Hodson in any team I pick. Give Martin a rest ahead of Saturday as he’s played 2 tough games in 4 days, after not doing much for months.

Alnwick

Candeias Bates Cardoso John

Goss
Docherty Halliday
Windass

Morelos Cummings

Bench - Kelly, A. Wilson, Herrera, Krancjar, Holt

A lot of games coming up so players will need to be rested and Fraserburgh is the obvious one to do that.

Given Tav is suspended and Wilson gone I wonder if it’s a straight swap of Tav for Hodson or if Martin slide out to RB and Fabio comes into the Centre.

Also, do we give young Greg a start?

Goss/ Murphy and Cummings all need games for match fitness.

As for young Alfie, he looked a wee bit jaded today so on one hand maybe he needs a wee rest but I also see benefit of giving him another chance to bang in a few goals.

I’d go for this:
Alnwick
Hodson
Bates
Martin
John
Goss
Docherty
Murphy
Candieas
Morelos
Cummings

Bench
Kelly, Holt, windass, Herrera, cardoso

Only slight issue would be the captaincy. That would have to go to Martin and I’m a wee bit against the idea of a loan player being captain.

Thoughts?
Would agree that Wednesday is an ideal opportunity to see how we’d do with Morelos and Cummings. Also having Goss and Docherty together.

Alnwick

Bates Martin Cardoso
Candeias Docherty Windass Goss Halliday
Cummings Miller

3-5-2

SUBS: Kelly,Hodson,A.Wilson,Herrera,Murphy,Holt,Morelos

I agree with most above i would like to see Cummings and Alfredo play together but think considering Morelos played alot of games before arriving here we should take the oppertunity to give him a wee rest.

I have a feeling Murty will want to try out the diamond again with something like the below: -

-------------Alnwick

Martin----Bates----Cardoso-----John

----------------Goss

----Docherty-----------Holt

--------------Murphy

-------Morelos----Cummings

I would play the diamond in midfield with attacking full backs providing the width as we should have to do too much defending if our attitude is right. And I can’t bring myself to include Hodson in any team I pick. Give Martin a rest ahead of Saturday as he’s played 2 tough games in 4 days, after not doing much for months.

Alnwick

Candeias Bates Cardoso John

Goss
Docherty Halliday
Windass

Morelos Cummings

Bench - Kelly, A. Wilson, Herrera, Krancjar, Holt
I'd maybe go something similar myself. Happy with Candeias at right back - we should be doing next to no defending, so absolutely no reason to play Hodson there.

Goss should be used from the bench in this game. He's not played a lot of football, in his career never mind this season. 4-4-1-1 formation which will turn into a 4-2-4 very quickly.

Alnwick

Martin Bates Cardoso John

Candieas Holt Docherty Murphy

Morelos

Cummings

Alnwick

Hodson
Bates
Cardoso
John

Barjonas
Docherty
Halliday

Atakayi
Cummings
Murphy

4-3-3

Murphy replaced by Candeias after 60 mins so they're both ready for Hibs.

Cummings off for Herrera if the games out of sight.

Alnwick

Bates (played RB at Raith)
Martin
Cardoso
Dalcio

Halliday
Docherty

Candieas
Miller
Windass

Cummings

Alnwick

Hodson
Cardoso
Bates
John

O’Halloran
Doherty
Halliday
Dalcio

Herrera
Cummings

Kelly,
A.Wilson
Kranjcar
Miller
Atakayi

Barjonas and Rossiter. If 7 are allowed on the bench, not sure in cup games

Leave Wes, Tav, Martin, Goss, Holt, Candeias, Windass and Alfredo at home, fresh for the Hibs game

Alnwick
Hodson Martin Cardoso Dalcio

Goss

Doherty Halliday

Murphy

Cummings Herrera

Run outs for Barjonas,Nico & Miller/Rossiter (If fit)
I wouldn't play DJ due to lack of cover.

Test out Morelos and Cummings together, drop windass give him a rest.

Docherty instead of holt to give him time to gel with team and also giving holt a rest.

I think Goss could be doing with a little rest as he looked knackered today, so Halliday in.

I’d keep back 4 but obviously with tav being suspended it has to be hodson unfortunately unless Martin plays at rb.

Still a pretty strong team tbh.

I agree with all of that.

Giving Docherty the run out is a must, as he needs to get used to his team mates and our style of play. The more time he gets on the pitch, the better.

This is also exactly the right opportunity to get Morelos and Cummings on the pitch together. Even as the home team, I think we can all predict that Fraserburgh will set up to avoid losing goals, so it'll really help to have two or three players on the park with a real eye for goals, with strength to bully players (Morelos) and with a bit of trickery and pace (Cummings & Murphy).

Alnick

Hodson Cardoso Martin John

Holt Goss

Candias Docherty Murphy

Morelos (For a half)

I’d like to think we have the flexibility to test new players and formations together but we cannot afford to %^*& this up!

Alnwick

Martin Cardoso Bates Halliday/John

Candeias Doherty Holt Murphy

Cummings Morelos

OR

Alnwick

Martin Bates Cardoso

Candeais Docherty Holt Goss John

Cummings Murphy

Think Windass/Morelos could do with a rest if possible. Wouldn’t play Hodson, should be looking to move him on ASAP. Get an hour out of Cummings and Murphy (he looks a bit rusty in terms of end product) ahead of the Hibs game.
Any news on Miller/Rossiter being available? Would be good to get them 15 mins or so but don’t want to rush them back.

What do we mean by certain players needing a rest considering the fact they are just back from a 3 week break - this despite the two games in Florida.

Unless they are carrying slight knocks I want us to put out/start with our strongest team on Wednesday - certainly change things if we can build a considerable lead.

Important cup competition/game and we should not underestimate the opposition.

What do we mean by certain players needing a rest considering the fact they are just back from a 3 week break - this despite the two games in Florida.

Unless they are carrying slight knocks I want us to put out/start with our strongest team on Wednesday - certainly change things if we can build a considerable lead.

I agree. Seen it far too many times in the english cup this year. Putting out a weakened team and getting pumped out the cup

Tav is suspended, I would like to see Candeias given a rest, given the shifts he has put in against Aberdeen and Ross County, Goss has looked superb but isn’t ready for two games in a week given his lack of playing time. Good chance here to get Cummings, Docherty, Cardoso and Halliday some game time. Would love to see Morelos and Cummings playing together.

I think most of the new signings need game time so would be good to give most at least an hour on Wednesday.
I don't think Docherty has played since the end of December apart from his 20 minutes yesterday?

Alnwick
Bates. Martin. Cardoso
Goss
Docherty Holt. Murphy. John
Cummings. Morelos

Atakayi and Barjonas are in Valencia with the development squad so they won’t be on the team.

Agree but no harm in a bit of rotation. Candeias has shown he’s not comfortable in a diamond and Windass has worked hard the past two games but at the expense of playing to his strengths. The fact most of the new players have played little football as well would make me want to treat them with caution - Murphy and Martin could play their third 90 minutes in a week after barely playing all season, then we have a Hibs side looking to get back on track and on form Thistle in the space of a few days.

Wes
Hodgson
Bates
Martin
John
Goss
Holt
Halliday
Docherty
Murphy
Cummings

All 5 new signings starting.
Wes, John and Holt the mainstays
Halliday and Bates worth a go
We need another right back

Alnwick

Hodson
Martin
Cardoso
Halliday

Candeias
Docherty
Barjonas
Murphy

Cummings
Herrera

I’d imagine we’d see a lot of squad players and possibly some youth that featured in Florida e.g. Atakayi. A start for docherty and Cummings would be good too.

Last edited:
Back