Barisic

Kamara
Lundstram
Aribo

Sakala
Morelos
Wright

If all fit and 100%

with hopefully a bench of Roofe / Hagi (or Bacuna) / Davis / Simpson / Paterson / Bassey and McLaughlin

Winn
We’ve not won a domestic cup in how long? Was it not March 2011 the last time we won a major domestic cup?

The leagues 38 games long, we’re 6 games in. Lose on Wednesday and the pressure on Gerrard will be unbearable as it’ll be the 7th domestic cup he’ll have failed to deliver

I get it’s the league cup and in normal circumstances I wouldn’t be that overly bothered but not now. Gerrard needs to win a cup and the league this season
Winning a cup would be absolute brilliant but to say it’s more important than a league game is madness!

I’d be happy with that, maybe Roofe for Wright, but Balogun might have to get used to playing a lot of games, I simply don’t rate or trust Wright.
Simpson is not good enough

We have no choice but to play Balogun tbh

As for Wright really needs to work on hes end product

Wonder if he'll rotate a fair bit or play a strong first 11 in the hope that we can play ourselves into form again?

Wouldn't be surprised if he went from the starting 11 from the weekend tbh.

Mcgregor

Patterson
Goldson
Balogun (Maybe a game to try Bassey at CB?)
Bassey (Barisic based on the above)

Lundstram
Bacuna
Arfield

Wright
Morelos
Hagi (If fit) / Sakala

Wouldn’t have Baccuna anywhere near midfield until he’s had a few games under his belt to know the position and the way we play. Lundstrum is testament to that.

Airfield is perfect for Wednesday and should start imo.

It’s a cup game with no room for error. Losing this game would be an absolute disaster for the teams morale and also for Gerrard himself and he’ll know that. Strongest team possible, get the game won and then integrate others like Baccuna

McGregor
Tav
Goldson
Balogun
Barisic
Davis
Kamara
Arfield
Roofe
Morelos
Wright

Airfield is perfect for Wednesday and should start imo.

It’s a cup game with no room for error. Losing this game would be an absolute disaster for the teams morale and also for Gerrard himself and he’ll know that. Strongest team possible, get the game won and then integrate others like Baccuna

McGregor
Tav
Goldson
Balogun
Barisic
Davis
Kamara
Arfield
Roofe
Morelos
Wright

Personally I wouldn't have Arfield anywhere near the team. I thought last season was one too many for him tbh.

Whoever plays needs to be really up for it
Nothing short of fully bang at it for 90+ minutes - or be 3 or 4 up after 60 odd minutes when subs can be risked - is acceptable IMO
All players should be playing for their place - with a view to making the position their own by performances that make selection easy anyway

But all that said - I don't like the idea of more than one 'un-proven' player in the starting 11 -

I'd still categorise Lundstram as unproven- even if there's been a slight improvement recently

So the suggestions above that have him & Bacuna in the starting lineup doesn't sound sensible to me

McLaughlin
Patterson Balogun Simpson Bassey
Lundstram Kelly Bacuna
Sakala Defoe Wright

Bench filled with B team players and rest the remainder for Saturday.

Back