Team last time we played Progress

Remember walking to the game and saying "don't know why, but I think dalcio is going to be shite"

Totally unfounded but totally right

My first thought, particularly given that 3 of them still play for us and another 3 play at a decent level, is that they aren’t the worst players individually.

Collectively though it was a fucking horror show.

Caixinha had balls I’ll give him that.
I’d worry about him even being in charge of a Rangers team on FIFA though.
He carries the can for it.

Pedro has won the Mexico super cup last week!

I can’t even get worked up about “owing them”. They probably have about 4 fans. It’s too embarrassing that it has come to this, and it’s more embarrassing that we can get riled enough to want to gloat to a couple of blokes in Luxembourg.

It’s not for them, it’s for us - exorcising demons, and all that.

I actually thought Dalcio played fantastic in his debut at Ibrox in the 1-0 win over Progres taking players on and beating them, %^*& knows what happened after that.

Thought Kranjcar also had a brilliant game.
Some of Kranjcars passing was superb that night, remember Candieas impressing when he came on as well

I just feel embarrassingly pathetic for even wanting to do that. Obviously I want to smash them, but I think I would just rather not be reminded of it. The whole situation needs thrown in the sea.

To be fair that team should have scudded them. Easy to blame the manager but end of day the guysb on the pitch lost heart. Embarrassing!

That night we were wasteful in front of goal Miller especially and I was still sure we’d take 3-4 off of them over there! They offered absolutely zero at Ibrox.

Delighted we’ve got them again! Delighted!

If I recall we hit the woodwork 3 times before they scored over there. If any of them had went in we would have went through.

We really should put them to the sword this time.

I can’t even get worked up about “owing them”. They probably have about 4 fans. It’s too embarrassing that it has come to this, and it’s more embarrassing that we can get riled enough to want to gloat to a couple of blokes in Luxembourg.
It’s about righting a wrong.
It’s about letting the world know that this is the real Rangers, not that collection of spineless imposters who embarrassed our club(a few survivors can make amends.)

Absolutely 100% nothing to do with gloating to a handful of Progres fans.

It’s a blight on our record we need to live with and it’s Progres greatest ever result. This time we will comfortably take care of them.

That midfield :rolleyes: Should still have been good enough to put them away easily though

I can’t even figure it how that midfield would have lined up, Windass at CM?

I was on the toilet in my hotel room in Planet Hollywood in Vegas when the second went in, deep joy.

I actually thought Dalcio played fantastic in his debut at Ibrox in the 1-0 win over Progres taking players on and beating them, %^*& knows what happened after that.

Thought Kranjcar also had a brilliant game.

Kranjcar played about 3-4 great balls over the top but we never capitalized. On the ball he still had class but unfortunately he was done.

I think people are taking the revenge thing out of context. It's good for the club and it's good for us getting that horrific defeat out our system. I don't think anyone is planning on gloating about it like people are suggesting.

To think our next line up against them will be something like.

McGregor
Tavernier Goldson Katic Barisic
Davis Kamara Aribo
Ojo Morelos Jones

What a turnaround in 2 years. Just need the trophies to start arriving now.
Jack will be in over one of those 3 in MF, not sure which one tho

Reading some of this makes it sound like we were magical against them and just darn unlucky. Same analysis as pretty much any Pedro failure I think!

I disagree on players aspect

Team was ridiculously prepared, couldnt get a shot on goal against TNS in the prep games

Herrera and Pena our main outlay not even fit enough a month after arriving

Throwing Herrera on and then watching him head the ball at the corner flag

He should have been sacked, there and then.

* Niko Kranjcars miss was ridiculous

I disagree on players aspect

Team was ridiculously prepared, couldnt get a shot on goal against TNS in the prep games

Herrera and Pena our main outlay not even fit enough a month after arriving

Throwing Herrera on and then watching him head the ball at the corner flag

He should have been sacked, there and then.

* Niko Kranjcars miss was ridiculous

As if the result wasn't bad enough we then had the embarassing images of him arguing with fans whilst standing in that bush. Should have been told to hand over his club tie and brown brouges and told he was to find his own way home.

Its quite funny that Progress are going to enter Ibrox into a sold out cauldron of venom, fans spitting blood, players straining at the leash to annihilate them simply because they beat us fair and square when we were shite haha!!

My first thought, particularly given that 3 of them still play for us and another 3 play at a decent level, is that they aren’t the worst players individually.

Collectively though it was a fucking horror show.

Caixinha had balls I’ll give him that.
I’d worry about him even being in charge of a Rangers team on FIFA though.
He carries the can for it.

To be honest the team on paper isn’t that bad.

Fod is still our second choice keeper.
Tav is obviously Tav
Cardoso played fairly well when we first got him and has done ok since we sold him.
Many folk considered Bates to be our best defender that season.
Wallace is a veteran campaigner that some thought still had a role last year (although, to be fair, they were wrong).
Jack is Jack (though only just signed and finding his feet).
Kranjkar was capable of brilliance but was fading fast.
Holt was a weak link but still a capable player at a low level. And Progres are a low level.
Dalcio was very poor.
Miller was still scoring crucial goals last season, albeit his legs were going.
Waghorn has recently been sold for multiple millions.

We all know what Rossiter could be capable of, although he’s never shown it much.

Candeias and Alfie are obviously quality but had only just signed.

The problem wasn’t necessarily the players. It was the mixture of them. Almost every single one carried an asterix (whether it was ‘only just signed’ or ‘getting a bit beyond their best’ or ‘slightly below ideal Rangers standard). Playing a few of them would have been fine but they were the backbone of the team.

The team formation also is a bit weird. What shape were we meant to be playing? It certainly doesn’t seem to suit the players out there.

The other thing was how that pre-season was managed. We were still rebuilding. A lot of the new arrivals hadn’t had time to bed in. But that’s unforgivable. Pedro wasn’t a new appointment. He’d been in charge for months. He should have identified our weaknesses and had fit players coming in the day the window opened with friendlies and closed doors games set up to bed them in and let them be competent when the European league started. Like Gerrard did last season and this one. That was just awful management.

Absolutely, it was a gamble which failed spectacularly. But the board knew we didn’t have the financial muscle the Shettlestons have so we had to take a gamble. Gerrard was a huge gamble as well, but one which, so far, is paying off very well indeed.

Yep. I think Pedro was awful but I can see the board’s thinking. We don’t have enough time to build organically with an average manager to stop 9 in a row. We needed a shortcut. Warburton was a gamble that partially worked. His (initial) knowledge of English youths and untapped potential got us some players we’d have struggled to identify. But he just wasn’t that great a manager and his purist football philosophy didn’t work.

Pedro was a guy with some success in an untapped market who knew players and names that would not normally come to us. It was a gamble that some of them would be stats. It failed completely. He was a shit boss and his player contacts were shit players (in Scotland).

Gerrard is another gamble. Completely untested manager but with a personal fame and magnetism that draws genuine stars to him. Morelos would not be happy without him. Defoe and Aribo would not be here without him. Kent and Ojo would not be here without him.

This time the gamble seems to be working. The players are exceptional and the gaffer is growing into the role and very rapidly learning beyond his inexperience. I am hugely impressed and hopeful. But we can’t deny that it was a gamble. And, if we celebrate when the gamble works, we can’t condemn the board for rolling the dice previously and acting quickly when it failed.

Got in early to watch this in The White Bear in Farringdon, even before it I thought with the name Progres, we were jinxed, a painful night

Second angriest i've been watching Rangers that day. Club sending Rossiter out to face the media was also a disgrace that night.

Back