Team Selection v Hamilton

der_hammer10

Now that’s another round of shitey international fixtures out the road (although I popped like mad for Alfie getting his first international goal) it’s back to the real business on Sunday.

Another plastic pitch. Assuming everyone is fit, how do we line up?

McGregor

Tav Goldson Helander Barisic

Jack Davis Kamara

Stewart Morelos Kent

Although I’m picking 6 guys that have been involved heavily in internationals, their recovery should be there, and I’m hoping that Kent is another step closer to full fitness, this shouldn’t be anything other than foot to the floor and getting this game out of the way before Feyenoord.

McGregor
Tavernier Goldson Helander Barišić
Davis Jack Kamara
Arfield Kent
Morelos
Was a toss up between Ojo or Arfield.

This should be our last match on plastic apart from one more away to Killie, this is assuming Livi and Accies both remain in bottom 6

Thankfully i feel Hamilton's plastic pitch plays much better than the other 2

Stewart for the packed defence

Certainly him, or Arfield will play one of the advanced positions off Morelos.

I think Arfield may edge it, after his excellent performance on the plastic at Livingston.

This should be our last match on plastic apart from one more away to Killie, this is assuming Livi and Accies both remain in bottom 6

Thankfully i feel Hamilton's plastic pitch plays much better than the other 2
I agree, definitely better than Livi’s and Killie’s old one. The new one has apparently improved since we played on it at the start of the season according to a Killie supporter in my work. Something to do with getting the watering wrong initially. Hopefully he is correct

I expect Defoe will start with Ojo and Kent up front.
Hamilton tend not to be as defensive as the rest of the bottom 6, so I expect a few goals

I'd be assessing the boys who have had excessive travel this week and think it might be more along these lines.

McGregor
Tav Goldson Helander Barasic
Kamara Jack Aribo
Ojo Defoe Kent

Exacta-mundo.

Would be very risky to start either Davis or Morelos in particular given their international exertions (age and travel respectively).

Maybe even bring in Arfield for one of Jack or Kamara. Maybe even Katic / Edmundson for Helander too. Gonna need our top boys at full pelt for the tough weeks ahead and whilst of course the league is the priority, that line up should be more than capable of beating Hamilton.

Mcgregor

Tav
Goldson
Helander
Barisic

Jack
Kamara
Aribo

Stewart
Defoe
Kent

Given his travelling over the international break and the forthcoming fixtures I would rest Morelos for this one. We need him fresh for Feyenoord and beyond.

I would try and rest 1 of the midfield 3 Davis, Jack or Kamara.

Bring in Aribo
Davis would be the likely choice to get rested imo. His age and the fact he has had a bit of a energy sapping and mentally tough week with NI.

My team would be:

McGregor
Tav
helander
Goldson
Barasic

Kamara
Jack
Aribo

Stewart
Morelos
Kent

Given his travelling over the international break and the forthcoming fixtures I would rest Morelos for this one. We need him fresh for Feyenoord and beyond.
I get what you are saying but the league is far more important than Europe imo so Alfie starts for me especially away from home.

McGregor

Tav-Goldson-Katic-Barisic

Jack-Kamara-Aribo

Stewart-Defoe-Kent

We should be winning this match without much bother and with how packed the fixtures are coming up it would be good to give a couple of players a extra bit of rest

I would think it likely that Defoe and Stewart get a game. I could see Helander potentially being rested for this match, with Katic or Edmundson getting a chance.

Last edited:
Davis would be the likely choice to get rested imo. His age and the fact he has had a bit of a energy sapping and mentally tough week with NI.

My team would be:

McGregor
Tav
helander
Goldson
Barasic

Kamara
Jack
Aribo

Stewart
Morelos
Kent
All for that mate, few goals before half time and some changes at 60mins with the upcoming games in mind.

I think Defoe is guaranteed to start, we are playing one of the poorer sides in the league. Morelos is too important to risk in such a game when considering the travelling he as done, plus in Defoe we have a more than capable deputy.

I'd give Katic, Defoe and Ojo a start in place of Hellander, Morelos and Kent.

Don't see Hamilton causing us much problems and we need to rest them for Europe and not risk injury.

Keep them on the bench if we require them if a tight game.

I can see the players that have maybe played the most International games getting a rest. Davis and Jack (two 90 mins) replaced with Aribo (one 90 mins I think) and Arfield beside Kamara in midfield.

Katic or Edmunson for Helander

Stewart, Defoe and Kent up top.

probs best to wait and see what gerrard says in his presser to see whos fit and what not. but i think both davis and alfie will be benched. a hope kents fit

If we can't trust Defoe to come in and play against the likes of Hamilton then he would be as well not being here.

Can certainly see Defoe starting this one, with Alfie having done a lot of travelling plus some tough games to come where he will be needed. Two from Kent, Ojo and Stewart for the other slots. I'd go Kent and Ojo.

I think we will stick with what has become our 'standard' defence. Outside chance of Edmundson coming in after his cameos for the kids and in the bounce game I guess but that's about it.

Midfield is the most contentious area. Davis probably the prime candidate for a 'rest'. Jack and Kamara both played 180 minutes in the internationals as well though and Aribo had the combination of a lot of travel plus some decent game-time as well. Jack also took a knock late in the game. Arfield went across the pond and played his 90 minutes. Difficult to pick which 3 will start from that. Arfield the most likely I'd say, with Aribo and one of Jack/Kamara.

It's not how I'd ideally want to see us line up but we've a tough programme ahead, so:

McGregor

Tavernier
Goldson
Helander
Barisic

Jack/Kamara
Arfield
Aribo

Ojo
Defoe
Kent

With the schedule our players have had and the internationals , we will see a few changes with other games in mind... it’s no coincidence that our non international players has the bounce game as the last break to many went in cold vs hearts.

mcgregor
Tav
Goldson
Katic... Helander vs Feyenoord in mind
Flanagan . Barisic v Feyenoord in mind

jack
Kamara
Aribo .... Davis vs feyenoord

Ojo.... Arfield vs feyenoord
Defoe ... Morelos vs feyenoord
Kent... will prob do 60mins

I wonder if we will see a start for King in the middle of the park on Sunday. Our midfield have been busy during the Int break.

Now that’s another round of shitey international fixtures out the road (although I popped like mad for Alfie getting his first international goal) it’s back to the real business on Sunday.

Another plastic pitch. Assuming everyone is fit, how do we line up?

McGregor

Tav Goldson Helander Barisic

Jack Davis Kamara

Stewart Morelos Kent

Although I’m picking 6 guys that have been involved heavily in internationals, their recovery should be there, and I’m hoping that Kent is another step closer to full fitness, this shouldn’t be anything other than foot to the floor and getting this game out of the way before Feyenoord.
Yep. Close thread.

Without any doubt Defoe will start this

McGregor
Tavernier
Goldson
Helander
Barisic
Davis
Kamara
Aribo
Arfield
Ojo
Defoe

Roughly that I suspect

McGregor

Tav
Katic
Goldson
Barisic

Jack
Aribo
Kamara

Arfield
Defoe
Kent

Bring on Morelos if needing a goal. Rest Davis. Greg Stewart isn't good enough tbh.

We really need a creative midfielder though.

McGregor
Tavernier
Goldson
Helander
Barisic
Kamara
Jack
Aribo
Stewart
Defoe
Ojo

Davis, Arfield, Morelos and Kent hopefully kept rested and raring to start for Feyenoord.
That team should have far too much for Hamilton but some big guns to turn to if needed.

Back