Team vs Livi, how many get rested?

AriseSirWalter

Official Ticketer
Would be viewed by many as an opportunity to give some a rest but Livi gave us a tough game last week and on a pitch we’ve struggled on. Add to that I think the LC could give the players belief if we win a trophy so it’s an important game. How many would you rest or would you start the strongest XI?

I think I’d go with....

Fod
Polster Goldson Helander Barasic
King Jack Aribo
Ojo Morelos
Defoe
I’m not convinced by Barker and Arfield could use the rest so would take the chance to try Morelos playing off Defoe. Tav looked to be struggling with an injury today so wouldn’t risk him.

I suspect Gerrard will go with his strongest XI with maybe a couple of changes.

There will be changes but it won’t be a side similar to East Fife 11, If we weaken the side too much we are asking for trouble (Livingston Away on that surface is a hard game) Gerrard won’t risk that.

I could see something like this;

Foderingham
Tavernier
Goldson
Katic
Halliday
Jack
Kamara
King
Arfield
Barker
Defoe

Along those lines. Morelos on the bench as the disaster recovery option lol.

Because we don’t have a proper good reserve right back I’d only ever rest Tavernier for a game you “know” we will win, I.e East Fife.

Can’t risk it v Livingston Away in the cup in my opinion.

Maybe edmundson and katic? Think Morelos will be on the bench with Defoe in his place. Ojo and Barker will start, maybe Haliday in lieu of Barasic because of the pitch. Imagine jack will start with Aribo and Davis/king.

Would be viewed by many as an opportunity to give some a rest but Livi gave us a tough game last week and on a pitch we’ve struggled on. Add to that I think the LC could give the players belief if we win a trophy so it’s an important game. How many would you rest or would you start the strongest XI?

I think I’d go with....

Fod
King Jack Aribo
Ojo Morelos
Defoe
I’m not convinced by Barker and Arfield could use the rest so would take the chance to try Morelos playing off Defoe. Tav looked to be struggling with an injury today so wouldn’t risk him.

Never in a million years will Morelos and Defoe start in the same team, especially in a league cup fixture.

I think if the game was against lower league opposition it would be 5 or 6 changes buy given its another PL side away on a shite pitch I'll say only 3 changes. Defoe, Edmundson and possibly Halliday. Maybe GK as well.

We will need Tav's creativity against Livi.

I beginning to think Tav is a bionic man. Looked to have pulled a muscle of some sort towards the end of the first half yesterday and then came out and played probably his best football of the season so far in the second half:))

I think we have to put out a fairly strong side. We want to win it and they are no mugs.

I’d go:
McGregor
Tavernier (if fully fit) Goldson Helander Barisic
King Jack Kamara
Stewart (plastic pitch experience) Defoe Arfield

I’d risk it.

..........................Fod..............
Pollster....Edmundson...Katic.....Halliday
...........Doc....Kamara......King.........
.......Stewart....Defoe......Barker......

I’d go:

Fod
Tav Katic Edmundson Barisic
Jack Kamara King
Stewart Defoe Arfield

My slight worry with this is that it maybe lacks a bit of pace but Ojo is and will play a lot with Kent and Jones being injured so I’d rest him. This team should have more than enough.

I'd like to rest Tav, Jack, Arfield and Morelos for Polster, Doc or Kamara, King and Defoe but a) don't think the manager will do it and b) we'd need them on the bench as I don't know how that team would respond.

I'd rather a strong side with out key influential players out first and put it to bed

We have struggled in these type of games with a full strength team so resting big names is a gamble

Strongest line up possible. We need to win the LC IMO.

If we win the first silverwear of the season it will give us the belief to go on and win the title.

I do think Gerrard wants to win silverware ASAP, so wouldn’t be surprised to see a strong side but I think he may rest 2 or 3.
Couldn't agree more with this,put our marker down get that mob in the Semis or Final and make amends for the Ibrox fiasco.

Edmundson, King, and Defoe to come in, maybe Fods too.

We will need to be at it on the night so we will still play a strong team.

I do think Gerrard wants to win silverware ASAP, so wouldn’t be surprised to see a strong side but I think he may rest 2 or 3.
Correct. This will be a tricky balancing act of resting a few players but still showing we want/need to win the trophy.

Couple of people picking Katic, I'm not sure we will see him after the big guy upfront gave him a bit of a torrid time last week in the second half. Albeit Katic was trying to cover Halliday at left back too as he was really poor that day

I think I’d go with....

Fod
King Jack Aribo
Ojo Morelos
Defoe

Not a cat in hell's chance we'll see both Morelos and Defoe in the starting line up.

I suspect we'll see Fod in goal with Edmundson partnering Helander in defence.

Davis will likely sit this one out and Defoe will start in attack.

-----------Fod
Polster Edm Katic halliday
----------Kamara
---Docherty Aribo
Ojo ---------King
---------Defoe

^ Is the team i'd play if it was football manager.

In reality that's probably a couple too many changes in terms of fluidity/chemistry.

But I would like to see Tav / Jack / Morelos / Arfield rested

And I'd like to see Edmundson, Docherty, King and Defoe get a start.

Polster would maybe be too much of a risk to be fair in terms of being up to match speed, but in earlier performances he never really let the badge down, so maybe he'd be fine.

We need to put a marker down with silverware this season. They have won far to many trophies in a row that needs stopped. This is the first chance so little resting we need to win this.

Foderingham for McGregor, Arfield for Barker, Defoe for Morelos and Kamara for Davis is what I think we'll see from yesterday's game. Not too dissimilar to the number of changes between a EL and SPFL match. I think this will manage the squad ahead of two big games but take this game seriously enough.

I have heard that Barisic doesn't like playing on plastic pitches but he's going to have to suck it up and it is another good opportunity to build on his recent impressive form.

It's tempting to give the likes of Tavernier, Davis, Jack ect a rest but Livi will be up for it and on that pitch it will be a slog.

We need silverware and getting knocked out at this stage by Livi won't help matters.

I wouldn't be resting anyone.

We NEED silerware this season. The League Cup would be massive, psychologically.

If we're up by a few then get players some rest. Anything else is rolling the dice IMO

Back