Team vs Motherwell

Blue Seafarer

What’s everyone’s thoughts for the game this weekend?

Dont think the team will change in all honesty. Hopefully Jack and Roofe are back and we can get them coming off the bench.

Shagger

Tav
Goldson
Balogun
Barisic

Kamara
Davis
Aribo

Kent
Morelos
Hagi

Motherwell aren’t exactly flying at the minute but they may get that “new manager bounce” and they always tend to raise their game against us anyway, more so at their home. Doubt it will be a 5-5-0 like the game at Ibrox but I do expect they will play a defensive 3-5-2 or some kind of variation which allows them to play with 5 across the back out of possession.

I’m hoping that Kent and Morelos are starting to find form again as both were excellent against the Sheep at the weekend. Would be a brilliant time to have them firing on all cylinders again as we move further into the 2nd half of the season.

Toss up between Balogun and Helander but it looks like Balogun is the preferred choice at the moment. I think Helander is the better defender in my opinion but the gaffer probably won’t change it whilst it’s working and we’re winning.

I’ll go for 2-0 with Tav and Morelos as the goal scorers.

I’d like to see Zungu start but difficult to see who he’d replace given the good form of Kamara & Davis.
So yeah I think it’s likely to be the same team.

I think with jack and arfield still not available this makes sense, the only one I’d throw in possibly is Itten but with Fredo back amongst the goals it’s probably best to keep him in. They’ll be at the wind up though so he needs to keep his head!

Balogun looked to be having a minor problem (if there is such a thing!) with his hamstring towards the end of the Sheep game. Could see Helander coming in.

Barisic has taken a bit of a battering recently so might get a day off, though that might be better left for the Ross County game that follows. We also need to 'rehabilitate' Bassey after that horror show in Paisley and give the lad a wee confidence boost.

Other than that, I'd like to see Jack hopefully get some time off the bench.

As you say, this will be the first game their new Manager has had any real influence. Could go either way. They might also get a huge boost if the Killie/St Mirren appeals are thrown out and they get 6 points for free just before playing us.

I expect a tough, stodgy game with Motherwell being slightly less defensive than at Ibrox. If we take care of set pieces at the back we have enough going forward to win by a couple of goals. Events of the last week should see our guys come out flying in all honesty.

No need to change it. Get the points in the bag this month and rotate later in the season when we’re out of sight in the league and playing in Europe.

I think if there are any changes it maybe Helander for Balogun as he looked like he maybe tweaked something against Aberdeen. No point taking risks.
Also Zungu might come in for Aribo as.it was his lapsein concentration that allowed Kennedy to break up field unchallenged.
Having said that if both Balogun and Aribo are fit and selected then i have no issue with that

Don't change a winning side when 7 days between a game. Can see Motherwell go 1 up top in either a 451 or 541. Be tight I think but a win nonetheless.

Agreed.

Different when you are playing weekend/midweek/weekend and rotation is needed, but when you have that gap between games there's no need to switch anything about unless either Jack or Roofe come in, which I can't see them being fit enough to start.

Same as against Aberdeen.

With only 1 game a week, it is the same 11 and hopefully the next week it's the same 11. Whether through injury, suspension, form or just bad luck you don't want to lose your shirt, the club is flying and we have another set of huge of European games coming up. Same 11 please

why? what has he done to deserve it?
I'd like to see more of him too. The only reason is that we will start playing Sunday/Thursday again soon and need another player in that position to play some minutes to rest Davis/Jack/Kamara.
It does seem strange that he has hardly played, even with Jack out for so long. Perhaps Gerrard doesn't fancy him.

same as sunday with the caveat ofa rocket up their collective erchie for the goal loss and nerves after

Always start our strongest team - and then make good use of the 5 sub rule to refresh us in the second half. The quality of our subs mean we maintain the quality but get game time through mire if the squad

I understand the concept of not changing a winning team.

But our midfield lacks a bit of pith and I’d have Jack or Arfield in as soon as one of them is fit enough.

I understand the concept of not changing a winning team.

But our midfield lacks a bit of pith and I’d have Jack or Arfield in as soon as one of them is fit enough.
If Jack is fit, he will play. I hope he is able to get some minutes soon. He will be vital when we are playing Sunday/Thursday.
Hopefully Arfield isn't out too long too.

i would be shocked if it was anything but the same team from the Aberdeen game (barring any injuries)

don't think Roofe / Jack etc are back fully fit yet - Jack may make the bench and get some minutes depending how the game is going in the 2nd half.

I agree with the OP, Zungu isn't ready for a starting role, Jack isn't match fit, so same again with hopefully Itten and Jack getting some game time.

If Jack is fit I think he will start as we really missed his defensive awareness v Aberdeen. I don't think Roofe will make it. Motherwell 1 Rangers 3 for me.

Same team as last weekend i would say but if Jack is deemed fully fit i would be tempted to include him in midfield.

I think if there are any changes it maybe Helander for Balogun as he looked like he maybe tweaked something against Aberdeen. No point taking risks.
Also Zungu might come in for Aribo as.it was his lapsein concentration that allowed Kennedy to break up field unchallenged.
Having said that if both Balogun and Aribo are fit and selected then i have no issue with that
Yep Aribo has been poor for a while now and is constantly caught on the ball, he would be my only change.

He had some great moments v Aberdeen. His feet are lightning but he needs to tighten up with his concentration
Right now we get the best out of Aribo further forward but, as yet, he is still a little indisciplined in fulfilling his defensive duties in a midfield three. Ultimately midfield is where he will excel and I remain of the view that, if we can hang onto them, we should be building around him and Kamara. I'm sure it will be coached into him. He certainly has all the attributes to develop into a major player.

We’re short in midfield, I think he’s looked pretty good in his brief appearances so far and I worry about continually calling upon Davis when we get back to 2 games a week.
2 games a week is 5 weeks away. Davis has had 7 days recovery, he will be fine. Would be utter madness to put him in. He has done nothing yet to suggest he warrants a 1st team start but to be fair he needs time to settle before we may see the best of him.

Last edited:
Probably same team if they are all fit. Possibly Itten in for Hagi. Would like to see the big man get another start soon.

Same team as the Stevie G express rolls on.
Hopefully Jack is back in the squad and we can give him some mins.

Back