Teammates Who Disliked Each Other

Andy Goram and Nigel Spackman.

Andy decked Spackman at half time during a game v Aberdeen. I’m sure the story was that Walter was not averse to Spackman getting a slap.

Not read the full.thread yet but sure this was a Celtic game mate? Spackman played a loose back pass that allowed Fake Irishman Cascarino to equalise.

Barton and Dabo.

Shearer and Owen

Pretty sure Steffan Effenberg was hated by most of his team mates. Part of the reason he retired from the German national team quite young.

Wasn't he sent home from a World Cup for arguing with his own fans? Some player mind you.

Not read the full.thread yet but sure this was a Celtic game mate? Spackman played a loose back pass that allowed Fake Irishman Cascarino to equalise.
Definitely an Aberdeen game. Here’s what Andy said about it.

It happened during a game with Aberdeen at Ibrox in August 1992. Roy Aitken, now Pittodrie boss, scored for them with a long range shot in the first half.

I shouted to Nigel Spackman that he should have been in to make a challenge quicker than he did. He didn't agree, but his attitude suggested to me he knew it was his mistake but he was going to cover up rather than own up.

I didn't like that and when we went into the dressing-room at half-time I was still seething. I started on him again and he threw some abuse back, calling me a "fat b******". I cracked.

I jumped over the treatment table and let him have it. After belting him twice he went down and curled up on the floor like a hedgehog as I was dragged away.

I'd lost it totally. I was shoved into a little area which the physio uses until I'd cooled down. Thankfully it all happened before the gaffer arrived.

In the second half we went on to win the game 3-1 and the incident was more or less forgotten.

I suppose I was bang out of order. I should have at least waited till the game was over.

There was no lasting feud between us because coincidentally Nigel was sold within weeks of the barney.

I was more worried about what the manager might do. While he had missed the blows being struck he was aware something had happened and I'd been involved.

I expected to be summoned up the `marbles' to be given a warning but instead he just came up to me in training and said quietly: "I know what you did. And I don't want any repeat of it. OK?"

It happened during a game with Aberdeen at Ibrox in August 1992. Roy Aitken, now Pittodrie boss, scored for them with a long range shot in the first half.

I shouted to Nigel Spackman that he should have been in to make a challenge quicker than he did. He didn't agree, but his attitude suggested to me he knew it was his mistake but he was going to cover up rather than own up.

I didn't like that and when we went into the dressing-room at half-time I was still seething. I started on him again and he threw some abuse back, calling me a "fat b******". I cracked.

I jumped over the treatment table and let him have it. After belting him twice he went down and curled up on the floor like a hedgehog as I was dragged away.

I'd lost it totally. I was shoved into a little area which the physio uses until I'd cooled down. Thankfully it all happened before the gaffer arrived.

In the second half we went on to win the game 3-1 and the incident was more or less forgotten.

I suppose I was bang out of order. I should have at least waited till the game was over.

There was no lasting feud between us because coincidentally Nigel was sold within weeks of the barney.

I was more worried about what the manager might do. While he had missed the blows being struck he was aware something had happened and I'd been involved.

I expected to be summoned up the `marbles' to be given a warning but instead he just came up to me in training and said quietly: "I know what you did. And I don't want any repeat of it. OK?"

Cheers, just seen a few saying Aberdeen now mate and obviously Andy himself. Now I think about it Spackman was interviewed in an end of season video and talked about that Celtic game. He was saying he got loads of stick from the players and even his wife wasn't happy. It was more a jokey thing though.

Bumped into Nigel Spackman in London a few years after he left Rangers and spent around thirty minutes just talking Rangers with him...He loved living in Scotland and loved Rangers saying he would go back in a heartbeat if asked, so i guess the feud didn't bother him too much.

More manager not on getting with player but there again it could be have been a tactical decision but Souness v McCoist relationship deserves a mention or at least being discussed.

McCoist was nick named 'The Judge' because he sat on the bench for so long with Souness in charge after Mo Johnson signed post 1989. Although Souness might have thought Hateley and Mo Johnson the better pairing.

Then there was the incident where McCoist went to the races the day before a game I think, and Souness made him make a public apology on TV rather than a private dressing down and fine.

McCoist and Durrant bought joke soap and Souness used it the shower and was left with stains on his body that he couldn't get off for days. I don't think Souness would have found that funny! If ever there was someone who didn't suffer 'fools' gladly it would be Souness (not that McCoist and Durrant are fools by the way).

Maybe Souness was jealous of McCoist's popularity, personality and character or he benched Ally just as a tactical decision. Might be wrong here but when Walter took charge in 1991 McCoist seemed permanently restored.
you're 100% correct brother. i never knew about the fake soap incident though. brilliant. the glorious bastard def preferred hately and mo. when smith took charge he played super and the goals flowed. i think a lot of this comes from hately taking a while to get fit/scoring. he'd had a serious injury and arrived in poor shape. i also think thats why we got him pretty cheap tbh. we took a chance. it worked. maurice was'nt here long after walter took charge. the rest is history.

I would imagine wee Tommy McLean would have a few enemies. He was a right wee crabit bastard. Brilliant player when not in a huff.

Anyone that has read Amoruso's LA Confidential should know he is a complete and utter narcissist.

Nothing was ever his fault and he seemed overly sensitive.

Anyone who refers to themselves in the 3rd person, like he did calling himself Lorenzo, is a weirdo.

Good player but massively overrated since he retired.

Tbf, talking to him would most proably send most people to sleep.
As an aside to the Michael Owen story there is another side to him rather than the baby faced nice he portrays in the media
To cut a long story short I was a key client (their words not mine ) of a credit account bookies based in England
Key clients were assigned a manager to deal with all matters relating to their account
After several months I got friendly with my manager and we used to chat about many things
On one of our chats he told me that Michael Owen was a client and a nightmare to deal with in relation to his account
Basically they couldn’t get him to settle his accounts!
Always tried to cut a deal of some kind
That’s what I was told first hand but of course not admissible in court

Bumped into Nigel Spackman in London a few years after he left Rangers and spent around thirty minutes just talking Rangers with him...He loved living in Scotland and loved Rangers saying he would go back in a heartbeat if asked, so i guess the feud didn't bother him too much.
Mind when Roxburgh tried to get him to play for the Scotland National Team.

Anyone that has read Amoruso's LA Confidential should know he is a complete and utter narcissist.

Anyone who refers to themselves in the 3rd person, like he did calling himself Lorenzo, is a weirdo.

'Are you talkin' to me?'

107-rob-casey.jpg

Zlatan and Van see Vaart. VdV accused him of trying to injure him so Zlatan called him out and said if he did it again he’d break his legs.

Gallas and Kolo Toure never spoke while at Arsenal and Kolo says it’s why he left.

Icardi and Maxi Lopez. Which is going to happen when you %^*& someone’s wife.

Effenburg and Matthaus. Effenburg dedicated a whole chapter in his book called what Lothar Matthaus knows about football. The page was blank

Was told a story about Sutton by someone who worked at Celtic Park. The staff were having their Christmas party in one of the suites and a few players came along and were mingling away quite the thing. One guy who was described as a really nice quiet guy, was in the toilet when Sutton came in and made a friendly remark to Sutton who promptly decided to batter 7 shades out if the guy. Medical staff and O'Neil both called out and it was brushed under the carpet. The guy left in disgust a couple of weeks later after Sutton refused to not only apologise but even acknowledged that it happened.
That big carpet got bigger !

As an aside to the Michael Owen story there is another side to him rather than the baby faced nice he portrays in the media
To cut a long story short I was a key client (their words not mine ) of a credit account bookies based in England
Key clients were assigned a manager to deal with all matters relating to their account
After several months I got friendly with my manager and we used to chat about many things
On one of our chats he told me that Michael Owen was a client and a nightmare to deal with in relation to his account
Basically they couldn’t get him to settle his accounts!
Always tried to cut a deal of some kind
That’s what I was told first hand but of course not admissible in court
Anyone that's ever seen that video of him playing against a youth goalkeeper for a training video will know what an utter bellend Michael Owen is.

Surprised Neville Southall never leathered him.

Last edited:
After de Bruyne's horrific childhood, you'd have to sympathiser with him. I mean he literally didn't get immediately signed by his first club and that sort of shit can leave a lasting impression.

the boarding family that took him in said he was too difficult when he was introverted and shy, when he started to do well for himself the boarding family wanted to take him back and were promptly told to fvck off!

From the Magnificent B@stard's lips. Thompson hated that he replaced him as captain and also that his first wife's family were loaded.
Gave it the silver spoon patter. Souness was going to stiffen him more than once.
Great story in Robbie Fowler’s book about Thompson when he was youth coach at Liverpool.
They had signed a kid who was going to be the next superstar but hadn’t played well in training. Thompson was giving him a hard time saying you’ll never play in the first team etc. Kid gives the what have you ever done patter, which to be fair was out of order as Thompson had a good career.
Anyway Thompson says put your medals on the table and the kid replies naw put our toes on the table. Apparently Thompson only has 9 toes. Cue the whole dressing room falling about in laughter.

Watching an Andy Cole documentary just now where he's talking about how him and Teddy Sheringham didn't exchange a word while they were at Man United together in the late '90s. When they did chat, Dwight Yorke was the mediator between them, passing on what the other said.

I know Porrini/Negri is the obvious one, but any others? I think it's safe to say Davie Weir thought Kyle Lafferty was a complete weapon.
Lafferty .............I have a mate who plays for Killie (1st team regular) and he tells me he is a fukn trumpet of the first order.

Heard years ago that the fitness coach who worked under O’Neill at Celtic leathered Sutton on the training ground.

Big X aka Jim Henry has never divulged what happened that day to anyone. He is a good friend of my wife's brother in law and only offered so much.

Sutton was lets say an arrogant obnoxious bastard towards the big guy and had overstepped the mark by a long long way. Jim waited some time for the right opportunity - When the time came he found Sutton as the last person in the changing room. The door was locked.

From that point forward Sutton was nothing but respectful and polite towards Jim. Only two people know what happened.

Anyone of a certain age from EK will know Jim from their youth - The vast majority will know you don't mess with him.

Big X aka Jim Henry has never divulged what happened that day to anyone. He is a good friend of my wife's brother in law and only offered so much.

Sutton was lets say an arrogant obnoxious bastard towards the big guy and had overstepped the mark by a long long way. Jim waited some time for the right opportunity - When the time came he found Sutton as the last person in the changing room. The door was locked.

From that point forward Sutton was nothing but respectful and polite towards Jim. Only two people know what happened.

Anyone of a certain age from EK will know Jim from their youth - The vast majority will know you don't mess with him.
Real shame that wasn't caught on camera. Would go viral.

Lorenzo was a brilliant player for us.

Having started watching rangers in 1979, when Derek Ferguson came along I thought we had a superstar on our hands. He had everything.

Then remember him being spotted at a WetWetWet (I think) gig drinking Buckie on someone's shoulders. Shortly after that, he just slipped away.
Is he dead.

Watching an Andy Cole documentary just now where he's talking about how him and Teddy Sheringham didn't exchange a word while they were at Man United together in the late '90s. When they did chat, Dwight Yorke was the mediator between them, passing on what the other said.

I know Porrini/Negri is the obvious one, but any others? I think it's safe to say Davie Weir thought Kyle Lafferty was a complete weapon.

De Canio

Apparently, at one of the sixes tournaments a few years back all the Celtic players were sitting in the lounge.
De Canio totally ignored them.
Never spoke to them in the dressing rooms

Back