Teams like Livi sickening

Absolutely no complaints about Livingston. They are horrible to play against but from what I've seen they give the same efforts v the mentally challengeds. No complaints!

Granted theres not many of them but if I was a livi fan I'd be raging.

I'm glad we won so this doesn't sound like sour grapes but I watched the cup final on sunday and if livi put in 50% of the effort they put in tonight they probably would have won.

I thought we played well tonight but came up a well drilled disciplined side
I was thinking the exact same bro.

They've just come off a purple patch and it's always a struggle for us to play good football in their midden so I'm quite satisfied with tonight. Three more points, clean sheet and no injuries.

They are a team who are averse to having the ball on the floor. That is fine in my opinion because defensively they are very tight and they are trying to play to their strengths. Never going to be a classic game when they are involved though.

St Mirren will be quite similar at the weekend although they do have a couple of players who at least try and attack.

No, because they actually tried to play against them, and did well, but against us they turn any game against us into headers and volleys.

That should tell you that they're more wary of being open and trying to pass the ball about nicely against us than they are against Celtic - it's a backhanded compliment. But this was still night and day compared to Holt's Livingston, and they weren't helped by an injury to one of their main attacking threats in the first half.

Don’t agree, it’s playing to their strengths and it’s up to us to work it out. I’d go as far as to say it would be irresponsible of a SPFL manager to come out and attack us at the moment, we’d tear them apart.

The difference is these teams are good at not letting us play rather than trying harder. They are good at frustrating us, slow play, hoofing the ball, pulling our jerseys and fouling us. This all adds up to us not getting the ball on the ground and playing football. Actually putting the effort into outplaying us and they'd be humped.

The OP needs to rewind to 2008. All teams, everywhere have adopted that approach none more so than our uefa cup final run.

I mean they play to their strengths, which are a cheaty pitch, launching long balls and long throws, fouling a lot and running about.

I would suggest endeavour or effort is far from a problem from what I’ve seen from them this season, they are an absolutely depressing watch though and I’m glad I don’t have to suffer it often.

They’re an awful team with an awful pitch and hardly any fans to speak of, but they do what they do and it’s up to us to find ways of combating that.

Thankfully tonight we did.

That pitch is an Effin disgrace. We really should be kicking up a fuss about it. As DE said in his post match, if you can’t afford a grass pitch you shouldn’t be in the top league. I’d say it’s a bigger priority than a 10,000 seater.

Playing for long throw ins and punts into the box on a horrendous plastic lunar landscape.

If that’s what rocks your boat, you're watching the wrong sport

I long for the day they are relegated

I'm glad we won so this doesn't sound like sour grapes but I watched the cup final on sunday and if livi put in 50% of the effort they put in tonight they probably would have won.

There's absolutely no chance that Livingston would have beat us tonight,no cheddars.

All Livingston fans like most would have been delighted with a draw.

Neither them, their manager, their sh!tehole of a park or their lump the ball and kick whatever moves style is going to contribute to moving Scottish football forward. Quite the opposite in fact - if you were a paying customer or a neutral you would have a hard time being entertained by anything they offer.

The sad thing is it's working for them ...

2 teams with contrasting styles. First 45 there was nothing in it. Second 45 Rangers looked the likelier but still took until last 10 to score. Decent from Martindale tbh

I did a rare thing back in January, stuck the second half on when they played the filth at the piggery, they played well and could have won, Ambrose missed a sitter.

I haven't a clue how the Leaugue cup went.

The OP needs to rewind to 2008. All teams, everywhere have adopted that approach none more so than our uefa cup final run.

So we just lumped the ball, kicked anything that moved and played for long throw-ins and punts into the box?

What a load of steaming jobby. :D

I never get this reaction.

Playing the biggest team in the country, live on Sky Sports, when you know you've got a great chance to make a name for yourself, particularly given the number of Scottish players your opposition have signed...and people don't expect them to try hard?

So we just lumped the ball, kicked anything that moved and played for long throw-ins and punts into the box?

What a load of steaming jobby. :D
He didnt say that. We played that time to our strengths, which meant stopping the other team scoring and this includes at Ibrox. If we tried to take them on at their game then we would have been beaten.

Livi are playing to their strengths because we have better players and a team than them. Anybody thinking they gave up the chance to win a cup final to save themselves for us, has been vaccinated with a strong dose of poet paranoia.

Livingston have conceded 18 goals at home and 18 goals away this season, that might suggest they are a hard team to score against because of the way they play not just because of their pitch, if it was just because of their pitch you would have expected them to concede a lot less goals at home than away.

They have drawn twice with celtic, taking 4 points off them.

What's the problem here?
The problem is they were shit In a cup final but played their hearts out against us.

Most of the teams in the league have taken points of the Tim’s this year it’s no great shakes.

The problem is they were shit In a cup final but played their hearts out against us.

Most of the teams in the league have taken points of the Tim’s this year it’s no great shakes.
If you think that the livi players, tried harder to get a result against us rather than win a cup final, then I'm sorry, but I'm not having that.

They made us work for the result as they should do.

Ive no issues with the way they set up and play. Its up to us to find the answers and beat them

However that pitch and the others like it should be nowhere near top flight football

The league set-up in Scotland is the problem. The top division is far too small and as a result most of the clubs are terrified of going down. If Hamilton or Ross County end-up relegated, the plaudits/platitudes that are heaped on them won't help them financially.

In all fairness, Livis gameplan derives from playing on a really tight pitch, making the match as compact as possible, not allowing the other team to play and dictating the pace of the game.

They can do that easily enough at their own ground because they’ve narrowed the pitch but Hampden is maximum length and width and it’s impossible to play that way. Martindale should’ve came up with another guy tactic but didn’t,

I would imagine last nights number of bookings would be the most for an opposition team this season. Tactical (sleekit) fouling throughout the game, mostly penalised but many more incidents went unpunished. The pitch is an abomination.

Only thing I hate is the niggly wee fouls, and the pitch. We are Rangers everyone will try against us!

Wee niggly fouls committed on a not so wee scale. 20 in one game and those are just the given ones - ridiculous. Of course its about trying to stop a team like Rangers from being able to play football in any way and stop a move before its even 2 passes deep.

Quite honestly watching games against teams like that is a total grind as theres almost no fun or enjoyment other than eventually beating them with that one bit of skill which evades their wretched efforts to stop us from playing.

You wonder if those players even enjoy football carrying on like that.

What do you want teams who are inferior to us to do, it’s horrible football the play but it gets them points. The history books don’t tell you how a team plays only the points they have earned.
They should open up and take a 5-0 hammering.

In all fairness, Livis gameplan derives from playing on a really tight pitch, making the match as compact as possible, not allowing the other team to play and dictating the pace of the game.

They can do that easily enough at their own ground because they’ve narrowed the pitch but Hampden is maximum length and width and it’s impossible to play that way. Martindale should’ve came up with another guy tactic but didn’t,

Martindale has also only had one transfer window to bring players in - and even at that, it's not like Livi are flush with cash. Some of the players he's inherited are from Holt's hammer throwers, and it'll take time to get them away from that mindsets or to ship those players out. There's a noticeable difference in how Martindale sets that team out compared to Holt, and I'd wager there will be a difference in the type of player he wants to sign in the future too.

If not for that horrible pitch - even by artificial surface standards it's a disgrace - I wouldn't mind us loaning a youngster to them next season. I wouldn't have said that in the summer - McCrorie aside - but they actually try to play football now at least.

Exactly what I was screaming at the TV during the game

Surprised they went on as good a run a they did. Probably one of the worst footballing sides in the league imo. No interest in trying to get it down just long ball after long ball. Fs Falkirk played 100x better than them when we played them. Granted all teams won't come out and try to play against us but that's probably the worst team I've seen all season.

Its simple Scottish football is turgid,

Was just going to say this.

Football that's played in the air, how many times did the livi keeper boot it straight down the park to shagger, a tactic of play over the top of Patterson, foul anything and blue and hope for a break. Its scumbag football

Back