Teletext from 1995 (Rangers related)

Pete Love

Was chatting about Teletext today at work and how basically this was your only source for live updates on football scores and news back in the day. Got me looking into a Teletext archive website and some good memories. Here's a selection from late 95.

Any memories of this game?
Screenshot-20240212-225026-Samsung-Internet.jpg

Seems not much has changed in 29 years
Screenshot-20240212-225150-Samsung-Internet.jpg

Top of the league, a mainstay of the Teletext league table in the 90s
Screenshot-20240212-225235-Samsung-Internet.jpg

Champions League looked a bit different
Screenshot-20240212-225522-Samsung-Internet.jpg

Super still doing the business
Screenshot-20240212-225659-Samsung-Internet.jpg

Screenshot-20240212-225807-Samsung-Internet.jpg

Screenshot-20240212-225846-Samsung-Internet.jpg

I remember that game very well. My brother went into an actual huff with the ref when David Robertson’s goal was disallowed for a ridiculously bad offside call, and the Goalie made a stunning late save from van Hooijdonk.

My teletext highlights were Ian Angus of Dundee scoring an own goal and the screen saying ‘Angus OG’ (if you know, you know, not one for the teenagers), and later watching the teletext on Rai Uno trying to find out who Vialli picked to join between us and Chelsea.

I remember that game very well. My brother went into an actual huff with the ref when David Robertson’s goal was disallowed for a ridiculously bad offside call, and the Goalie made a stunning late save from van Hooijdonk.

My teletext highlights were Ian Angus of Dundee scoring an own goal and the screen saying ‘Angus OG’ (if you know, you know, not one for the teenagers), and later watching the teletext on Rai Uno trying to find out who Vialli picked to join between us and Chelsea.
Close enough :D

Screenshot-20240212-232539-Samsung-Internet.jpg

Was a fascinating thing teletext.

My mum used to book us holidays and all sorts off it. Ended up on the outskirts of many a resort due to it.

It must blow kids minds these days that you had to exercise patience to get the information you wanted back then. And you had to wait till you were home.
There were sometimes up to 30 plus pages in teletext. Sometimes more.And because you couldn’t pause it you had to wait until it went through all the pages and back to the one you originally wanted to read. :D
You needed loads of patience :D

It must blow kids minds these days that you had to exercise patience to get the information you wanted back then. And you had to wait till you were home.
I bet the concept of needing to wait days before you ever actually saw what the pictures you took on holiday actually looked like, or rewinding tapes would blow their wee minds too.

Or the fact you used to have to get a paper map out to find out where you needed to go.

I remember my Dad buying a new TV and it had "update" function on it.

When the Ceefax or Teletext page status changed, the page number showed up in the top corner of the screen meaning the TV could be watched.

Seems primarive now but at the time I used to think it was incredible.

When I first moved over here in 1988, I’d get up really early on a Sunday, head to the nearest newspaper dispensing machine, dispense a quarter and get my copy of the Dallas Morning News. Quickly locate the sports section, open up to the inside page, and look for the Scottish football results that were there most weeks.

The following Friday or Saturday a copy of the Sunday Mail and Rangers News, sent by my dad, would arrive and I’d get to read every line on the game. That went on for years.

When I first moved over here in 1988, I’d get up really early on a Sunday, head to the nearest newspaper dispensing machine, dispense a quarter and get my copy of the Dallas Morning News. Quickly locate the sports section, open up to the inside page, and look for the Scottish football results that were there most weeks.

The following Friday or Saturday a copy of the Sunday Mail and Rangers News, sent by my dad, would arrive and I’d get to read every line on the game. That went on for years.
Remember doing similar on holiday. Getting a copy of the English papers one or two days later and scouring the sports pages for transfer updates. The summer Advocaad was incredible!

Around the same time, I would get my Rangers results from back copies of the International Herald Tribune in the Ohio State Univ. library, at last a week out-of-date. My mum and dad would collect newspaper match reports to send on every month or two.
For years I'd go back to visit and be unable to properly pronounce the names of "new" Rangers players. To this day I'm not sure how to pronounce "Huistra" :D

Fond fond memories checked before school and after school for all things Rangers

Also reminds me of this

You beat me to it. I remember it when the old Grandstand teleprinter looked like this. Twenty to five on a Saturday afternoon back when every game kicked off at 3 o'clock, we'd sit in front of the telly and wait for the results to come in. Sometimes, as in this picture, it would stop halfway through a result and you'd be hanging on waiting for it to restart. If we were out in Paisley, as above we'd stand in front of the shop window watching. Try explaining that to the youngsters today.

maxresdefault.jpg

My brother was at that game, said it was the coldest he'd ever been in his life.
I was there and I've been colder at Ibtox before. Think it was minus 5 but I was full of the bevvy and a cracking puffer jacket on.

Around the same time, I would get my Rangers results from back copies of the International Herald Tribune in the Ohio State Univ. library, at last a week out-of-date. My mum and dad would collect newspaper match reports to send on every month or two.
For years I'd go back to visit and be unable to properly pronounce the names of "new" Rangers players. To this day I'm not sure how to pronounce "Huistra" :D
If we were flush we’d call home for a few minutes. $1.69 a minute back then. Crazy when you think of where we are today with communications.

My brother was at that game, said it was the coldest he'd ever been in his life.
That was my 1st European away trip. Traveled with the KP Loyal bus. Genuinely was baltic, I hadn't even packed a jacket as in my then 16 year old brain I thought Germany being 800 miles further south than Scotland it'd be tropical in comparison. Drank through it like a boss though.

Back