Ten years ago today over 49,000 Rangers fans filled Ibrox v East Stirlingshire.

There was a bit of novelty factor for the first few months of that season.

Once the winter nights came in, the boardroom shambles became inescapable and the football became dreadful, it was a real slog. 13/14 was even worse. 14/15 we were terrible although at least there was a bit of jeopardy on the line.
I can remember days you’d go to Ibrox for like 25/30min, be bored out your skull and then retreat to the pub

Be interesting to see pictures of the stadium from 75min onwards in those years. Was even worse for people leaving early and no one could blame people

I always remind fans of them of these times when they bump thier gums about being the greatest fans in the world haahha...the club who had to close the top tiers of their dump because these greatest fans deserted them in their droves. These times ended the debate for good regarding who's the best fans.

That was the day I knew we were on the road back.

Full stadium. Derrys walls. Goosebumps typing this.

I was at Brechin and that was special in its own way but Elgin at Ibrox I really felt things were on the up.

Less than 10 years later a European Final and league Champions.

We are the People

I was there… no way I was missing it.

When the fixtures came out I was out shopping with my wife and over that summer I think she learned that looking at the phone probably meant some Rangers-related news.
I just said that we were going up to Glasgow for a few days around the 18th of August and that was that.

Quite a show of following to have a crowd like that for the first home game.
I remember when Barrie McKay got on the ball at one point and ran at them and it seemed the entire stadium was on its feet.

Took my son to his first game that day.

They were running a competition in the broomloan rear. Best goal celebration. At 3 years old, he won. The prize was a signed top. We've still got the ticket stubs somewhere from that day.

I keep threatening to mount it.

Great day out.
Exact same as me. My son was treated to his first game and was also in the broomland rear.

Add in that sh#te Bob Marley song, and it's a period I would rather stick in a very dark corner.
Always with the negative waves Senefelder
Back in the day we were always able to get a seat and a pie post match in the louden.
Not to mention the groupies

Horrible times but made the good times sweeter. So much happened in that 10 years that its quite astonishing looking back now.

Gawd, brings back pride and fear in the same picture - grim days, I'm glad they are long over. We are now back to falling out over the striker selection for a CL Qualifier, unthought of during that ES game.

Aye, remember we had a really icy spell during the winter and BBC Scotland did a rundown of underfoot conditions around the football grounds with public warnings for each where "large crowds were expected to attend" (no laughing at the back). They completely ignored mentioning what the conditions around Ibrox would be like, never mentioned us, absolute bitter rancid petty bastards the lot of them.
Their hatred of Rangers and the fans goes way, way back.

There was a bit of novelty factor for the first few months of that season.

Once the winter nights came in, the boardroom shambles became inescapable and the football became dreadful, it was a real slog. 13/14 was even worse. 14/15 we were terrible although at least there was a bit of jeopardy on the line.

For most of 14/15 i wasnt even giving a shit about the results as bizarre as that sounds.

The shower of rats in the boardroom stripping the club bare and drip feeding ashleys wonga loans was driving me to despair. Every day brought a new horror.

The three bears restored sanity in march.

We as a support stood together and never faltered and that really made the haters sick,they thought we wouldn't fill Ibrox and that we would be financially hampered, I will never forget their statement ""your (grand)children will be celtic fans"" We Are The People.........Your (grand)children will always be obsessed with Rangers...FACT
That statement your grandchildren will be celtc fans really wound me up.

I wish I had thought of your reply.

There is no way they they would have 10,000 fans by the end of the first season if it had been them.

Those years were heartbreaking yet looking back strangely proud. It’s a part of our history now and although there were days when you questioned would we ever come back the strides we have taken should fill everyone of us with pride.

Agree they were heartbreaking.

Personally I enjoyed the away days to smaller towns and grounds - much more welcoming.

That statement your grandchildren will be celtc fans really wound me up.

I wish I had thought of your reply.

There is no way they they would have 10,000 fans by the end of the first season if it had been them.

They convinced themselves we were gone as a force forever.

Just another club.

10 years later we won the league and scottish cup once again and had long runs in europe (including a final) they can only dream of.

Took my son to his first game that day.

They were running a competition in the broomloan rear. Best goal celebration. At 3 years old, he won. The prize was a signed top. We've still got the ticket stubs somewhere from that day.

I keep threatening to mount it.

Great day out.
My daughters first game as well except she had never heard anything as loud as the Ibrox roar after a goal and sunk into her seat terrified! The next goal she was bouncing about celebrating though!

She Who Must Be Obyed and I were there that day, the atmosohere around us in the Copland stand was a mix of raw emotion and defiance against those who wanted us dead.

I can remember days you’d go to Ibrox for like 25/30min, be bored out your skull and then retreat to the pub

Be interesting to see pictures of the stadium from 75min onwards in those years. Was even worse for people leaving early and no one could blame people
It was certainly difficult times.

I was there.

We al came together that day and it was sureal.

The song before the game by Bob Marleys nearly had me in tears.

When they scored it was aww naw, then no surrender Ian Black was sung. :D

Throughout that ten year period from 2012 until the Europa League Final this year, I ALWAYS believed that we would be back where we belonged, eventually . . . the only time my belief wavered being after the 2 leg humping by Motherwell in the play off games May 2015. After that game at Fir Park was the first time that I truly started to doubt that I would live to see us back “ eating at the top table”.
I know some on here have no time for Mark Warburton, but he got us back on the right road, and had us playing some decent stuff season 2015-16, getting us promoted and to the SCF.
The ten year turnaround from 2012 - 2022 is really quite staggering, and we ALL deserve to enjoy these moments now, because we have ALL been through the wringer.

Incredible support through incredibly difficult times. One game that really stuck with me was Motherwell in the cup was it our first or second season of the climb back and we beat them 2 nil. Loads of Motherwell fans there expecting to turn us over and we put them back in their box. Atmosphere was almost on par with a European night!

Very emotional night that, played 3 little birds before the game, went on holiday to Greece the next day and I got a lot of guys from England dutch Greek and one gut from Sweden who supported gothenburg wish our club well and a speedy recovery back to the top..
The Louden was first tp play 3 little birds, copied it from Ajax

McCoist knew exactly what he was doing, a man filled with emotion issuing a rallying cry to his fellow fans.

I enjoyed going through the divisions, it gave me a chance to experience grounds I'd probably never have gone to, it weeded out a lot of fairweather fans as well IMO
It never weeded anyone out, it brought Rangers fans who hadn't been for a wee while back. Rangers fans made sure that the Club would rise again.

It never weeded anyone out, it brought Rangers fans who hadn't been for a wee while back. Rangers fans made sure that the Club would rise again.
That’s your opinion.

But how did people manage to come back without people leaving?

3 little birds played as the spivs filled their deep pockets with our cash.

Don't worry about the cash. Cos every thieving spiv done all right.

I hate the song because of they rats
Agreed I always think the rat spivs were taking the pish with that song.One of the many things that got me was the cash only window for tickets at a portakabin behind
The Copland Stand.No records no questions asked and the thought of them divvying up the cash made me feel sick.It was the same as the Kelly's and Whytes did at the chamber of secrets for years.

Remember the day season tickets went on public sale.My son and I decided to try and get one,so I went over and joined queue at 09.15 and by 16.40 I got a call from my son saying he had managed to eventually get them on line.
I remember Greene coming out and addressing crowd with his message"I'm only a guy from Yorkshire but look to the day when I can get Rangers and as well as the blue get orange strips" or words to that effect.
The "journey" begun and for me having attended games,when I could ,from circa 62/63 season I got to many more than I ever had as working conditions allowed me to do so.
Even through the "journey" there were heartaches and disasters--Easter Road when Raith Rovers beat us in the final,Motherwell's shaming of us in the Championship and some losses to the lesser teams of Scotland.
However here we are on the cusp of CL given we get the correct result next week.

The away support at queen's Park was unreal too
My youngest sons one and only Rangers game. He didn’t care too much for “Scottish” hot chocolate but munched down the Cadbury’s chocolate buttons. Didn’t care too much for the game but did love the last minute winner.

Those years were heartbreaking yet looking back strangely proud. It’s a part of our history now and although there were days when you questioned would we ever come back the strides we have taken should fill everyone of us with pride.
it has made us all the more staunch our club the greatest in the world WATP

Novelty wore off after about 5 matches

Also, that “we don’t do walking away” speech from McCoist still gives me nightmares. Other teams still think it’s good patter and there was a pish TBO song based on it
That's one of the best comments a Rangers manager has ever made.

Yeah, hoisted by your own petard and all that stuff but he meant it and the fans knew that. He also acted it out, he stood up for us when everyone else was making up shit to beat us with. Well said Ally McCoist.

The night we played East Fife was one of the most emotional games I've ever attended. Just seeing my team take the park, in front of nearly 40,000 fans brought a tear to my eye.

last minute winner :D

That match was absolutely the worst.

We took a non Rangers fan to his first ever match that day. Never been back haha

Anyway, I’m still glad to have been part of the number who were at the OP match and that mess at Hampden.

We really are THE people. :)

First game i took 3 of my girls too. Their first time at Ibrox bought them all scarfs and seeing their reaction when they climbed stairs to club deck, then those last few steps up and their first view of pitch. They still talk about it, and they have matchday tickets in their keepsake boxes.
They spent the game watching BF, a memory that will stay with me forever.

Back