Terry Hurlock - A Fantastic Interview

Jan Žižka

TERRY Hurlock left Rangers, but Rangers never left him. He had lived and played in London all his days, yet Ibrox became an all to brief home from home.

It is almost two decades since Hurlock, after just one fleeting but successful season at Rangers, returned south of the border and finished his career with Southampton, Millwall and Fulham. Glasgow remains close to his heart, though.

He strides down the Ibrox tunnel with all the purpose and intent of his playing days. The frame is still imposing, the handshake firm and the accent unmistakeable but that famous mass of dark hair has gone, proof that not everything stays the same over the years.

Ibrox has changed, too. But the memories and emotions come flooding back for Hurlock as he returns to the stadium where he only spent one season but a club that made a long-term impression on the 61-year-old.
“Mate, it brought a tear to my eye walking back through that door,” Hurlock said. “My kids come up and they watch the Old Firm games but they haven’t been in here.

“I had a walk about where we used to get changed and went down the tunnel and I thought of my two boys and thought ‘if only they could see this’. They would absolutely love it to pieces.”

Hurlock was seeing Ibrox at the best it has looked for some time. A summer of modernisation and restoration has given the corridors back their lustre, the work symptomatic of the progress Rangers, as a team and a club, are making after the most difficult years in their illustrious history.

“Coming from Millwall, that was your taters and greens, you know what I mean,” Hurlock said. “Coming here, it doesn’t get any better. You can’t beat it here. It is tradition. The wood panelling, the picture of the Queen, what a place, what a club.

“I need my kids to see this. They are so passionate about Rangers but they haven’t been down here. They need to see this, this is a proper football club.”

The chance to visit Ibrox and take a walk down memory lane was an opportunity not to be missed, but it wasn’t the reason for Hurlock’s return to Glasgow.

On Friday evening, he was a guest at the Rangers Supporters Erskine Appeal dinner, an event that raised more than £25,000. The £1million mark is now in sight as individual efforts make a huge and heart-warming collective difference.
“Anything with the Military and the Forces, I will be involved in,” Hurlock said. “I always have been. I have been brought up that way. I don’t see it as giving back. I do my own little bits and pieces.
“But, what a great cause. They need us and I think we could all do a bit more. Not everyone thinks like us though, do they?”

A delayed flight from London ensured Hurlock’s time at Ibrox wasn’t as long as it could have been. That is somewhat apt, given that he only spent a year with Rangers in the double winning season of 1990-91.

Millwall’s relegation from the First Division paved the way for Hurlock to leave a club where he had earned a title medal and legendary status. Tony Cascarino did likewise, while Teddy Sheringham remained at The Den in attempt to help the Lions back to the top flight.

A wrangle over money delayed a move to Everton but cash was no stumbling block for Graeme Souness. A deal was done and Hurlock joined one of the most expensive and impressive squads in Britain.

“They were all big characters, big players and I was in awe of them, mate, in awe of them,” Hurlock said of his team-mates as the Souness Revolution gathered momentum.
“I had the likes of Terry Butcher, Richard Gough, Trevor Steven, Gary Stevens. %^*& me. I had watched these guys playing for England when I was in the Third Division. Now, I was playing amongst them. How good is that?
“I was in awe of them, I am still in awe. I am so proud, so lucky to have played with those boys at this club. Every single one of them were terrific footballers.”

The Second Division title that Hurlock won with Millwall followed a Third Division crown at Reading two seasons previously. He would match that tally of trophies in just a few months at Ibrox.

A 2-1 victory over Celtic secured the League Cup weeks after his arrival. Come the end of the season, the third of nine titles was won in the most dramatic of circumstances against Aberdeen.
“I jumped into a club that was winning everything,” Hurlock said. “They didn’t take no for an answer, they were winners. That is Rangers and I had to deal with that. I always trained hard. I liked a beer, but I trained hard.
“I couldn’t let anyone down, I never wanted to let anyone down. Even if I didn’t have a good game, I tried. These players, they could do it all and it made my job easier.”

In that star-studded Rangers line-up, Hurlock was never destined to stand out but that didn’t diminish his importance to the team. He would make 35 appearances and score twice for Souness’ side.
The second came against Hearts in a routine 4-0 win. The first, of course, was the equaliser on his Old Firm debut as a powerful strike from the edge of the area was followed by a roar and a punch of the air.
“It was new to me,” Hurlock said of the derby, a fixture that Rangers would win on three out of six occasions that term and that saw him sent-off for lashing out at Tommy Coyne in an ill-tempered defeat at Parkhead.

“The Ibrox game came early when I first came here. It was passion that I had never seen in the changing room. The team talk wasn’t a team talk, it was just ‘you know what this game is like, you know what it means’. I was looking about thinking ‘what is going on?’
“People were going potty, Bomber (John Brown) is nutting the wall. I thought ‘%^*& me, what is going on here?’ It was new to me, but I loved it. I was with them, I wanted to go with them and now I know how much it means. For me to play in that game... I can tell my kids, I can tell everyone down south.”

After drawing with Celtic in the September, Rangers beat them in October through goals from Richard Gough and Mark Walters at Hampden. Hurlock had his medal, but his prize money didn’t last long.
“I loved it, loved it. I was so proud,” he said of the Skol Cup success. “I’ll make you laugh. I got a few quid for winning it, a couple of grand. I went down to my pub and they said ‘there ain’t no beer’.
“I said ‘why is that?’ and they said my brother hadn’t paid Charrington (Brewery). He owes them that, that and that. It was exactly what I had earned. What I got from winning the cup went straight to paying the beer debt!”

By the time Hurlock had his second medal at Rangers, the boss that had brought him to Ibrox had gone. Souness - a man Hurlock ‘will never have a bad word about’ – was appointed Liverpool manager and Walter Smith guided Rangers to title glory.

Souness’ departure left an injury-ravaged Rangers reeling. When it mattered most, everyone at Ibrox played their part.
“Sometimes you can’t have the best game in the world, we all know that” Hurlock said. “But if you see someone that is putting a shift in, that is trying to do well for you, you can’t knock him.
“If you have someone there not pulling their weight, that is what drives a manager mad. I always did that, I was brought up like that by my father from day one. Every club you are at, run your heart out and try your best.”

A day and an effort that encapsulated Hurlock’s attitude and will-to-win proved to the finest of his Rangers career. The experience was brief, but life-changing, before a move to Southampton brought it to a premature end.
Four firm answers of ‘definitely’ are given in quick succession when Hurlock is asked if his reputation counted against him with Scottish officials.
‘They had to book me, I knew that’, he says. Hurlock was, he believes, left with no choice but to leave Ibrox.
“I had to move due to the circumstances and getting booked,” he said. “Times were changing. At my age, I had to go for the payday. I loved every second of it up here, that is for sure.
“I wanted to be here, it was just the circumstances of getting booked, getting sent off, getting booked, getting sent off. I would have been left in the Reserves and, at my age, I couldn’t be in the Reserves. If someone comes in with a good offer, you have to go. I didn’t want to go, I loved it here.”

That much is evident. Hurlock now watches on from afar and takes joy in what is unfolding at Ibrox once again as another Liverpool legend looks to transform Rangers’ fortunes.
The impact that Steven Gerrard has made is undoubted, but the silverware that has been sought for so long by supporters still has to be won before Ibrox hero christens a new legend.
“I am so pleased he is doing well, I really wanted him to do well,” Hurlock said. “Listen, it is the start of his managerial career and I hope he is successful. Like Souness, I have no doubt he will move on. But he will turn Rangers around first.
“It is about respect, and how can you not respect Gerrard? He has done everything. Like Souness, you look at him in awe. How can you ever be as good as them? You can’t. But you give your all for them. Steven has turned it around, God bless him.”

Gerrard will continue to play down any title talk this term but supporters are daring to dream. Hurlock is, too. “Mate, how good would that be?”, he says with a smile before he bids fond farewell to Ibrox once again.

Last edited by a moderator:
*Terry Hurlock is pictured promoting Rangers Pools for the Rangers Youth Development Company and fans can sign up now at www.rangerspools.com. And if you sign up now you could win a trip to New York.

Profits from this RYDC venture - in partnership with the Football Pools – is donated back to Rangers Football Club exclusively for the maintenance and upkeep of Ibrox Stadium.

For full details on all RYDC products visit www.rydc.co.uk or call 0141 427 4919. Fans can also download the Rangers Pools app at the App and Android digital stores.

Great interview, seems the club really left a mark on him, fantastic to hear him
Speaking so passionately about Rangers.

Hurlock said. “Coming here, it doesn’t get any better. You can’t beat it here. It is tradition. The wood panelling, the picture of the Queen, what a place, what a club.

“I need my kids to see this. They are so passionate about Rangers but they haven’t been down here. They need to see this, this is a proper football club.”

Love the big man. An absolute animal who gave everything for the shirt.

Living where I do, I know a lot of proper Millwall boys who speak very highly of him and also of us.

The season after he left we won the Scottish cup for the first time in years.
He was at the game as a fan. His best mate was a Sergeant Major in the Royal Marines and as luck would have it, a couple of boys on our bus were RM so he ended up spending the night in the butty in Drumchapel.
A legendary night ensued where he cemented his place as one of us.
Everything he says in that interview comes as no surprise to me.
The man got what it was to be a Ranger, and understands it to this day.

We are the people

I’ll be honest, I remember being a bit shocked we signed him. He didn’t take long to prove why that was a good idea though and yeah, he has always had the hardman tag. But he could play too, the likes of Vinny Jones couldn’t have laced his boots as a player and I’d fancy Terry if Vinny misbehaved any day.

I remember back in 2004 we played Spurs in a pre season friendly (2-0)

I had won hospitality tickets through work and i was standing at the bar and there was a guy in front of me and he turned round and I nearly shat myself with fear. It was Terry Hurlock and he still had that big evil look and stare. What a menacing looking guy but what a player.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting OP. Superb interview; a player who truly knows what Rangers are about;what the club represents;and most importantly, what Rangers FC means to The People.
A player who wore his heart on his sleeve, and wasn`t afraid to show it.
His words are from the heart and make you proud as you read them.
Love him.
As a by the way,he is one person whose autograph has eluded me through the years......does anyone on here know if he regularly goes to The Den? I would gladly make the effort when working down south.
I wouldn`t confront him with armfuls of stuff; just a couple of books and a programme;a few words about his time at Rangers;shake his hand, and that`s me done;... taking up just a few moments of his time.
Thanks to anyone who can help.

Can just picture/hear him when he says (in the London accent):-

Love it :))

I don't think Souness gets credit for the kind of dressing room he had; players loved playing for Rangers and Hurlock would have taken to that squad as a duck to water. There were no egos, it was all for the team; even Ray Wilkins, with the kind of career he had, said it was his best time in football. By the way, how good was THAT goal that Hurlock scored? Could he play? : well, look at the Goal, and the how ball stays low; no one scores a goal like that unless they can play a bit.

Last edited:
My mate told me he was working for London Underground a few years back (not sure if he still does) and was a right pisshead. I loved the guy and was gutted when he moved to the Scummers. A very hard man and a far better player than people ever gave him credit for.

I picked Terry up from the airport last Friday, as we passed the Wee Rangers Club and Ibrox came into view, he looked up at the stadium and just said "Fxxkin hell that is beautiful, I love this place" Inside the home dressing room he was genuinely emotional about being "home"
A genuine diamond geezer.

I don't think Souness gets credit for the kind of dressing room he had; players loved playing for Rangers and Hurlock would have taken to that squad as a duck to water. There were no egos, it was all for the team; even Ray Wilkins, with the kind of career he had, said it was his best time in football. By the way, how good was THAT goal that Hurlock scored? Could he play? : well, look at the Goal, and the how ball stays low; no one scores a goal like that unless they can play a bit.
Do you mean the goal he scored against them?
Any goal against them is great obviously but it did take a deflection so maybe not as good as you remember.

Incidently I was in the holding cells underneath the enclosure when he scored as I was outside the stadium after failing to get a ticket for the game and was walking past the main stand to go and get the bus back to pollok and a mounted copper thought I was wanting to start trouble with some celtic fans outside the Broomloan and told me to beat it and go back the other way,I said FFS and got jailed for it :)
I was only 15 at the time so was in the holding cells before I got taken to govan police station to wait on my dad getting me. I did a whole 3 or 4 hours hard time :)

I remember reading an article or seeing something on tv years ago cant remember where it was and it was terry hurlock and some other guys and it was round about rememberence day and they were talking about different clubs and terry said if you want a proper british club then there is none more british anywhere in UK than rangers and the rangers fans a proper football club

.ive always been proud of our club and everyone whos past through those doors or those stands have left impressed ,our traditions ,our stadium is unlike any other and i hope it never changes

Do you mean the goal he scored against them?
Any goal against them is great obviously but it did take a deflection so maybe not as good as you remember.

Incidently I was in the holding cells underneath the enclosure when he scored as I was outside the stadium after failing to get a ticket for the game and was walking past the main stand to go and get the bus back to pollok and a mounted copper thought I was wanting to start trouble with some celtic fans outside the Broomloan and told me to beat it and go back the other way,I said FFS and got jailed for it :)
I was only 15 at the time so was in the holding cells before I got taken to govan police station to wait on my dad getting me. I did a whole 3 or 4 hours hard time :)
I realise there was a deflection, but the ball stays low; to get the ball stay low when you hit it, as you probably know, you have to draw your foot across it, especially if you hit it that hard. I think that was a very good goal, and deflection or not I think it would go in.

I was fortunate enough to spend the day with him a number of years back not long after he had left Rangers.
He was very funny. He told me that he really had no idea about Rangers before he came up.
He said that it was a major shock to him to go from the bleakness of Millwall at that time to the Oak panelled, marble staircase palatial surroundings of Ibrox.
I remember him saying ‘fecking hull they will never let me back in this place, I’m far too fecking common’.
He said he was scared shutless for the first day or so until he realised that the Rangers supporters were salt of the earth.
However, he said he regularly had to pinch himself that here he was playing at this incredible institution alongside some of the best players he had ever seen.
He was very proud to play for us and put on the light blue jersey.

Hurlock the Warlock, my sort of player. Hard as f*ck but could play. Many of his bookings were for going in fully committed and getting the ball fairly but leaving the man there in a crumpled heap.

Many years ago this huge black guy walked into the Clyde Inn, followed by a group of dodgy looking geezers. Most folk thought "What the feck is going on here?", until someone spotted the bold Terry. Turns out the black guy was his pal/minder, still find the thought of Hurlock with a minder amusing to this day.

Terry and his mates were brilliant company, %^*& knows why they ended up in the Clyde Inn though :D

Love the big man. An absolute animal who gave everything for the shirt.

Living where I do, I know a lot of proper Millwall boys who speak very highly of him and also of us.

The season after he left we won the Scottish cup for the first time in years.
He was at the game as a fan. His best mate was a Sergeant Major in the Royal Marines and as luck would have it, a couple of boys on our bus were RM so he ended up spending the night in the butty in Drumchapel.
A legendary night ensued where he cemented his place as one of us.
Everything he says in that interview comes as no surprise to me.
The man got what it was to be a Ranger, and understands it to this day.

We are the people
Now that is a REAL cool story bro

Back