That’s a Game We Drop Points in Last Season

der_hammer10

I saw people moaning in the match thread about how poor we were.

We played like that so often last season, absolutely battered a team that were content to have everyone behind the ball.

This time around someone stepped up (so chuffed for you Borna) with real quality to bag us the three points.

I’m thanking my lucky stars that we have come away from that game against an awful team with no ambition, with three points.

Top of the table and a step closer to an almost perfect first phase of the season.

Thursday and Sunday are absolutely massive. But the three points today are just as big.

Well done Rangers.

Last edited:
It was a carbon copy of the shite versus them last year but minus their attempt to compete in the first half.

We won that one with a fluke. This one we won with a moment of genius. I know which result I prefer.

We still struggled to break them down though.

I know they sat in but we created very little.

We played like that so often last season, absolutely battered a team that were content to have everyone behind the ball.

This time around someone stepped up (so chuffed for you Borna) with real quality to bag us the three points.

I’m thanking my lucky stars that we have come away from that game against an awful team with no ambition, with three points in the bag.

Top of the table and a step closer to an almost perfect first phase of the season.

Thursday and Sunday are absolutely massive. But the three points today are just as big.

Well done Rangers.

Don't agree. We beat St Boo 2-0 in Paisley last season with 2 goals last season.

We found a way, which we often couldn’t do last year. Not a great performance, and the lack of incision was slightly concerning, but I’ll take the 3 points thank you very much

And btw, st boo executed their game plan pretty well. Awful to watch of course but I doubt they’ll take too many doings this year and will be safe enough, which is a shame.

Don't agree. We beat St Boo 2-0 in Paisley last season with 2 goals last season.

I don’t mean St Mirren specifically, I meant the amount of times we dropped points last year against teams that sat in against us, and nicked a goal with one of their few efforts on goal in an entire game.

Killie and now St Mirren have tried it against us this season. And we have maximum points out of the first three games.

Reactions: TQ3
Much the same as last season at their place struggled to break down a bunch of donkeys, Defoe scores early on then we are on easy street after that we didn’t do enough.

It was a horrific game to watch St mirren never came out their own final third. Turgid shite so glad that games over

The biggest concern for me was that we didn't seem to know how to close out the last 10. We didn't really commit to adding another - even on the break, nor did we particularly get tight or drop any deeper. Just looked like a bit caught between stools. In spite of getting great positions we never threatened but we allowed them a clear cut chance through a simple cross to an unmarked striker.

Here's yer results from the first 3 games last season:

FS2VTbH.jpg

Two away game, two draws, 5 points. Compare and contrast to our two away wins and 9 points over the same number of games so far.

We're on the right path.

We dropped four points at this stage last season and were on cloud 9 because of our Euro run.

Motherwell was fine margins as we lost two honking goals and should have buried them after all the horseshit posturing from them being hardmen, because we played them off the park.

I'm happy. We are on track to be even better and the Mhutants won't like it up them. One top end signing and few of the other lads, recently in to kick on, and we will eventually be formidible in this defend-at-all-costs league.

Are we going to get this every other week ?

We played the exact same against the exact same tactics at St Mirren park last season and won 2-0.

If there's one thing to take away from this place it's to ignore the match thread. Utter lunacy.

We done well today considering the conditions, the way the opposition set up and off the back of a tough away game in Europe.

I’m thanking my lucky stars that we have come away from that game against an awful team with no ambition, with three points.

Well done Rangers.
That’s how you win championships

A single goal lead is asking for trouble, it didn't look like we were applying 'the press' today, I'd have them starting the 2nd half like it was 5 minutes to go and a goal down, show some urgency and sow the game up as early as possible.

Saying all that a 1-0 ground out result shows some resilience.

I don’t mean St Mirren specifically, I meant the amount of times we dropped points last year against teams that sat in against us, and nicked a goal with one of their few efforts on goal in an entire game.

Killie and now St Mirren have tried it against us this season. And we have maximum points out of the first three games.

Still think there is something missing from our away league performances this season. We might boss possession but we are not creating a lot and both Killie & St Mirren looked fairly comfortable defending against us.

An excuse can be made for Rugby Park with their awful artifical pitch which I have yet to see us play well on (both the old and new ones). However today was poor, little intensity and we looked to be passing amung ourselves just for the sake of it. SG has said he brought in players who bring the ability to break open defences that sit in - the evidence so far is it is an option still requiring a great deal of work. However ultimately we got 3 points so that will do nicely.

Still think there is something missing from our away league performances this season. We might boss possession but we are not creating a lot and both Killie & St Mirren looked fairly comfortable defending against us.

An excuse can be made for Rugby Park with their awful artifical pitch which I have yet to see us play well on (both the old and new ones). However today was poor, little intensity and we looked to be passing amung ourselves just for the sake of it. SG has said he brought in players who bring the ability to break open defences that sit in - the evidence so far is it is an option still requiring a great deal of work. However ultimately we got 3 points so that will do nicely.

That's fine but when there's 10 defenders in the box there's not much room to create things. I'd like to see us shoot more from outside the box couple of times we got in good positions for a strike but then passed it

It's hard to create much with 11 players behind the ball. We lost the league last year because we ran out of ideas in these games. Every time so far this season we have found a way and ultimately, all that matters is 3 points.

Greg Stewart instead of Jordan Jones would of helped massively in a game like yesterday
I was surprised he wasn't on the bench.

To be honest i never quite get the whole 'we wouldn't have won that game last year' argument. What does it mean? That Barisic wouldn't have scored the free kick this time last year?

FS2VTbH.jpg

Two away game, two draws, 5 points. Compare and contrast to our two away wins and 9 points over the same number of games so far.

We're on the right path.

And the manner in which we dropped those points were due to problems which we seem to have now solved, which gives me a really good feeling for the season. But of course the real test is next Sunday, that’s the big one.

I had confidence we would have worn they down eventually even without Bornas free kick. That’s the difference to last year.

We played against the exact same tactics last season at St Mirren Park. It took a wonder goal from Candeias on 80 minutes and an injury time second from Morelos then.

Yesterday was a repeat of that game with a Barisic wonder goal this time.

No difference what so ever.

It was the same at kilmarnock, both of those games we faced negative football and managed to get a win. Last season i dont think we would have picked up the win in these games

We've now said that after all 3 league games so far this season.

Roll on Sunday where whether we win, lose or draw we wont be saying it after the game

We played against the exact same tactics last season at St Mirren Park. It took a wonder goal from Candeias on 80 minutes and an injury time second from Morelos then.

Yesterday was a repeat of that game with a Barisic wonder goal this time.

No difference what so ever.

You don’t think we would have scored eventually?

Trophy winning teams dont always play pretty stuff.

Go away from home, keep a clean sheet stay compact and disciplined and take a chance. Bring the points back.

Tan the absolute $hit out every one at Ibrox and we will be fine.

We are on the right path.

It was the same at kilmarnock, both of those games we faced negative football and managed to get a win. Last season i dont think we would have picked up the win in these games
What does this mean? You don't think we'd have scored that free kick last season?

Sort of agree but that's 2 out of 3 games this season we have said this which is slightly worrying.

Defoe scores that and we win 3-0. A rotated squad. A win and a clean sheet and a goal for Borna

If the striker they brought on had a finish we would have still dropped points we allowed McCallister to ghost past us to play a great ball in thankfully their striker was mince.

What does this mean? You don't think we'd have scored that free kick last season?
What do you think it means? Ill put it in black and white. It means that we probably wouldn't have been robust enough to see out the 1-0 win yesterday. The way we managed the game from 75 mins was superb, especially in those conditions. As for the killmarnock game, we all know how our games went when we played them last season so aye, massive improvements in difficult pitches and conditions. Satisfied?

What do you think it means? Ill put it in black and white. It means that we probably wouldn't have been robust enough to see out the 1-0 win yesterday. The way we managed the game from 75 mins was superb, especially in those conditions. As for the killmarnock game, we all know how our games went when we played them last season so aye, massive improvements in difficult pitches and conditions. Satisfied?
Fair enough, just not something i particularly agree with.

Tbh we probably should have dropped points because how on earth their CF didn't score right at the death is a mystery.

Games like that we can't pass up chances like Defoes as it fucks up the sit in and hope for a 0-0 that St Mirren were hoping for.

Yes we may have but OP was claiming that was a game we would have dropped points in last season. All I was saying was we played there last season against a sh!te team with sh!te tactics and ground out a win.

I’m playing devils advocate here but it wasn’t a scorching hot day and we weren't away in Europe 3 days prior.

I thought we played quite well. No panic just probing looking for a opening. St Midden deserved everything they got. Rangers could have scored 2 or 3 on another day.

FS2VTbH.jpg

We're on the right path.

This is what we need to keep remembering.

4 points up against this time last season & two those games were bogey teams last year

Next step is to continue our home form v them and go into the break ahead

Back