That Peter Van Vossen game

I remember when Albertz played in VV looking over to the linesman to see if he was offside. In that fraction of a second I turned back only to see the ball sailing over the bar. I asked the guys around me what happened, as I never saw him kick the ball, all one could say was he missed it, everyone else was speechless.
I didn't watch the penalty, as I was so pissed off that the game should have been out of sight the chances we had. When everyone started jumping about I was out my seat going nuts .

in the 2-2 game that we won on Penalities, a Celtic player made a worse miss than Van Vossen, but I don't think I've heard it mentioned since.

Van Vossen is Old Firm folklore
Don't remember that myself to be honest,the guy from man city who missed the chance in the semi final we won on penalties a few years ago was quite memorable to me right enough

I was in Tenerife watching it with my m8s,I think the u18s or reserves match was on before it too,needless to say I don't remember much but out at Veronicas celebrating was brilliant :D

I worked in the Country Club on Langside.

The manager said I had to work an Old Firm game as it wasn't fair on all the other workers that I always got those shifts off.

by half time he told me to take a two hour break and get to fe k away from the bar!!

in the 2-2 game that we won on Penalities, a Celtic player made a worse miss than Van Vossen, but I don't think I've heard it mentioned since.

Van Vossen is Old Firm folklore

No way is that miss as bad as never mind worse than Van Vossen's. Van Vossen's was a simple square slow ball much nearer to the goal.

Did we play them 2 weeks in a row at the Piggery around March 97? Think we lost a cup game then beat them in the league game,?

Van Vossen’s Rangers career never really recovered from that miss. I think I’m right in saying that Advocaat rated him extremely highly and saw him as a key member of the squad when he arrived. Feyenoord changed that when they told Rangers they’d only sell van Bronckhorst if they got van Vossen as part of the deal. Dick chose Gio.

Was the most draining game i can remember being at.
Turned to my mate about 20 times that game saying ‘that could cost us the league’
So many misses.
Im sure this was the game that Bjorklund made a run the length of the pitch. The only time i saw him over the half way line in a Rangers shirt in open play

Did we play them 2 weeks in a row at the Piggery around March 97? Think we lost a cup game then beat them in the league game,?

Did we not beat them at their dump in a cup game when big amo came on and albertz scored the cracking goal after a great run then we beat them at Ibrox a few weeks later when thern scored a belter and albertz another after a great run?
I was at both games and thought they were quite close together
I am sure that was around that time you mentioned

Did we not beat them at their dump in a cup game when big amo came on and albertz scored the cracking goal after a great run then we beat them at Ibrox a few weeks later when thern scored a belter and albertz another after a great run?
That was 98 mate

Van Vossen’s Rangers career never really recovered from that miss. I think I’m right in saying that Advocaat rated him extremely highly and saw him as a key member of the squad when he arrived. Feyenoord changed that when they told Rangers they’d only sell van Bronckhorst if they got van Vossen as part of the deal. Dick chose Gio.

He was a good player but Walter was scattergunning around Europe for a couple of seasons trying to sign forwards who were all markedly different players from one another. I was never sure what the plan was.

Raducioiu, Salenko, Guivarche, Van Vossen, Tristan, Tamudo, Kirsten - it was like a conveyor belt of signings and near signings but they were all quite different styles of player. They either didn’t sign or signed and didn’t hang around long.

Last edited:
No way is that miss as bad as never mind worse than Van Vossen's. Van Vossen's was a simple square slow ball much nearer to the goal.

it seems my memory of Van Vossens miss had him further out. I can't say I go back and watch it often mind.

Still an awful miss

Don't remember that myself to be honest,the guy from man city who missed the chance in the semi final we won on penalties a few years ago was quite memorable to me right enough

hardy har

Was the most draining game i can remember being at.
Turned to my mate about 20 times that game saying ‘that could cost us the league’
So many misses.
Im sure this was the game that Bjorklund made a run the length of the pitch. The only time i saw him over the half way line in a Rangers shirt in open play

It was more than 20 times bud...

Laudrup on form again
2 piss penalties
Goram being Goram

We should have won at least 5-0 That night. We opened them up so many times.

Yip was at those games. Albertz dribbled from the half way line in both to score. Jonas thern scored a rocket in the second game and mccoist scored a header in the first.

No, that was the previous season in the 1-0 League Cup win.

As for the game in question, I don't remember another game that took me through the whole range of emotions in the way that one did.

We were under the cosh in the early stages then scored. More pressure from them, but we had chances on the break.

The second half was the same but we passed up numerous opportunities to kill the game....and couldn't, I mean we're talking three or four gilt edged chances never mind VV's miss and the penalty. Then they get a spot kick with 5mins left on the clock....utter despair....Goram saves....elation....the whistle goes...relief, elation,nervous exhaustion.

I'd love to see the whole 90mins again.
I have the full sky coverage

I was working in Carlisle that week, watched the game in the hotel and was buzzing so went clubbing in Buskers(?) Full of guys that looked like they wanted to kill anything that moved and females that were very, erm... flirtatious. Had great night lol.

Sure there was a tackle from a corner that game, where one of there defenders had his back to the ball and just charged at Laudrup maybe, and wrapped him up.in both arms and they both fell. Stone wall penalty not given. Not in those highlights, so starting to doubt myself?!?

The most tense, exciting game I can remember attending.

Our tickets were all single seats and I spent the 90 minutes sharing the experience with a random bear from Govan in the seat next to me.

I was drained just watching it, it was one of those games that can be described like a boxing bout, every single player gave everything they had.

Add in the mental fox pitch invasion which added that surreal moment where the whole crowd shared a funny wtf moment before the hatred kicked back in.

My nephew was born in the September so I had an extra personal edge being desperate for the first OF of his lifetime to be a victory for us, after the game I wrote a message on my ticket stub and gave it to my sister to put away for him with his other just born collectables

One of my favourite football memories, thanks for starting the thread OP

Think it was the 9IAR video Walter said, "Had Goram not saved that penalty Peter would have been strung up in the dressing room." :D

I was on a course with the Navy in Portsmouth at the time and watched it in a pub in Cosham which was mixed (two to one in our favour mind) and was going mental at the chances we were missing, not least Van Vossen's and Gazza's penalty. I was convinced they were going to make us pay and when they got that penalty with about 5 minutes to go I was scunnered. So when Goram saved it I went berserk, totally lost it.

How that game finished 1-0 I'll never know as we should have won 6-1 or 6-2. Quite why Van Vossen's miss is constantly used to berate him is beyond me as, bad as it was, we still won. Had we lost it would have been a different matter. Roberts miss for them in the 2016 SF was much more costly in my opinion.

That game is my favourite OF game outside of the Lovenkrands final.

Goram, Gough and Petric were absolute colossal that night. They were just not losing a goal whatever happened.

You maybe thinking of this one at 1:58:55?

I've started a couple of threads over the years asking about the music for Scottish Football in the 90s. Nobody came up with an answer, yet there it is at the start of the video. Cheers mate, you've inadvertently solved a mystery that has bugged me for years.

Was 12 and in my best mates (a tim) who had Sky, sitting with his dad in the living room, who had the full, knackered looking European Cup tattoo on his forearm.

I went mental when we scored / saved the penalty and he never said a word. Guess it was on the account of being 12, never stayed pals with the boy after high school so dunno if his old man was actually seething inside that day :D

Never realised the Goram celebration til I was older :eek:

Van Vossen scored an absolute worldy from a ridiculous angle that year (wearing the red/white square away kit) which made his miss all the more mental!

Brought back memories of a tramp player I had almost forgotten about, Martin Weighorst. What a moany, whinging piece of work he was!

Biggest memory of him is the dive to get Gazza sent off in the 10 in a row season. He's also in the background of my McCoist signed picture many have on their wall, after the back-post header in the 3-3 game - so that cheers me up :cool:

Was 12 and in my best mates (a tim) who had Sky, sitting with his dad in the living room, who had the full, knackered looking European Cup tattoo on his forearm.

I went mental when we scored / saved the penalty and he never said a word. Guess it was on the account of being 12, never stayed pals with the boy after high school so dunno if his old man was actually seething inside that day :D

Never realised the Goram celebration til I was older :eek:

Van Vossen scored an absolute worldy from a ridiculous angle that year (wearing the red/white square away kit) which made his miss all the more mental!

Biggest memory of him is the dive to get Gazza sent off in the 10 in a row season. He's also in the background of my McCoist signed picture many have on their wall, after the back-post header in the 3-3 game - so that cheers me up :cool:

He scored that goal at ruby park he got a double and so did Gazza that day if my memory serves me right.

Was night shift in the Caley, but we all battered in the night before to get ahead of the game so to speak.
Was meant to start at 21:00 but guy in charge big Celtic fan said make sure your in for 22:00.
Watched it in Springburn bowling club few beers, down into work half scooped, we all effed off to the big glen on Royston rd for the last hour jammed with that lot, sat and smirked for an hour, back up done a wee bit found a sleeper coach with beds still done up in it nearly slept through clocking out time, great night.:D

My old man elbowed me in the face breaking my glasses when we scored

Only one eye for the rest of the game

Fekn nerves were shot by the end

Was that not also the same game where Snelders shat it during the warm up, said he was injured and a not fully fit Goram had to be called upon by Walter to get himself ready and onto the pitch?

I’m still not sure what Van Vossen was trying to do. He just needed to roll it in, there was no need to try and lift it as Kerr was nowhere near him.

What’s your memories? I can’t remember the respective league positions at the time but I seem to remember a draw kept the scum top?

1-0 to us and I think we missed at least two sitters plus a pen

Then needed to Goalie to save a pen to prevent a draw
Not winning that game would’ve been the biggest injustice ever
I remember him being subbed after his miss

Us to win 1-0 and Laudrup to score first... £5 at 50/1....
unbelievable bet considering all that happened but the lads in the Ladybrook Pub in Bramhall Stockport enjoyed the pint I bought with the winnings

Didn't have Sky at the time so went down to my dads mates who did. Got picked up after football training and when we got there it was already 1-0

Dunno how Kerr had the brass neck to scream in Gods face after he basically drop toe holded him in the box - stonewall penalty (as was the Tims one, being honest)

Gazza missing, Van Vossen obviously, Albertz missing a golden chance when clean through. The goalies save and choice words afterwards.....brilliant.

Watched it in the house and walked out when they got awarded the penalty. Was sick at the thought of dropping points considering the chances we had to seal the game. I decided to drop in to my local and get one to calm down and the place was bouncing. Once they filled me re Goram’s save one was not enough to calm down. Tough day at work followed !

I watched it in the Caly Student Union and it was a brilliant atmosphere. Then it turned into the jiggin' and I got a lumber. Not a bad night out!

Our number 9 that night?

laudrup was up front on his own

3 at the back and robertson/cleland as wing backs

almost like a 3-4-3 though

Goram

Petric Gough Bjorklund

Cleland Moore Mcinnes Robertson

Gazza albertz

Laudrup

should have put 7 past them , our finishing was terrible

Back