That Peter Van Vossen game

cairngorm

What’s your memories? I can’t remember the respective league positions at the time but I seem to remember a draw kept the scum top?

1-0 to us and I think we missed at least two sitters plus a pen

Then needed to Goalie to save a pen to prevent a draw
Not winning that game would’ve been the biggest injustice ever

my one lasting memory was the celtic players over harassing the referee at the byline right up until the spot kick was being taken

you will never seen a more stonewall penalty in your life, the celtic goalkeeper took Laudrup's legs away with both his arms

and what about that reverse ball from Gascoigne to play him in, just caressed it through the celtic defense almost with backspin on it :)

My favourite game ever. I loved nerve wracking games like that when we get through them . A real roller coaster of emotions. Few of us watched in my mates bedroom cause he had sky and we didnt

I think they were a point or 2 ahead of us. Remember the commentator saying 'this is to keep Celtic top of the league' when they were about to take their penalty.

Like everyone else I remember the sitters. Had a feeling Gazza was gonna miss the penalty then the same feeling when they had their's.

Was this the game of Goughs excellent last ditch tackle?

I was lucky enough to be there that night, a real roller coaster of emotions, I always felt Goram was saving their penalty, was that the night of Andy Goram broke my heart?
I've never got round to checking Burns gravestone :D

I think they were a point or 2 ahead of us. Remember the commentator saying 'this is to keep Celtic top of the league' when they were about to take their penalty.

Like everyone else I remember the sitters. Had a feeling Gazza was gonna miss the penalty then the same feeling when they had their's.

Was this the game of Goughs excellent last ditch tackle?

No, that was the previous season in the 1-0 League Cup win.

As for the game in question, I don't remember another game that took me through the whole range of emotions in the way that one did.

We were under the cosh in the early stages then scored. More pressure from them, but we had chances on the break.

The second half was the same but we passed up numerous opportunities to kill the game....and couldn't, I mean we're talking three or four gilt edged chances never mind VV's miss and the penalty. Then they get a spot kick with 5mins left on the clock....utter despair....Goram saves....elation....the whistle goes...relief, elation,nervous exhaustion.

I'd love to see the whole 90mins again.

A crowd of us from work watched it in my mates house in castlemilk,a proper rollercoaster of emotions that night,was amazing at the final whistle with us all jumping about the room celebrating but one of those games when you were a nervous wreck during it.
Was just as annoyed at the time when gazza missed the penalty as i was at van vossen's sitter. Then they got the penalty and was saying i knew we would get punished for the chances we missed,naw we didnae :) :) :)

What’s your memories? I can’t remember the respective league positions at the time but I seem to remember a draw kept the scum top?

We should have been 4 or 5 up going into the closing stages.

Albertz fluffed some golden chances. The terrible penalty too.

Two sitters more 5 or 6 great chances.

Watched it in a neighbours. He was ex army with Celtic leanings but was a real gent. We often watched games in his conservatory and he dished out the beer too!

That game was mad. It had everything. Im sure i aged that night!

The neighbour is no longer with us and spent his last days in Erskine but that game reminds me of him and his generous hospitality.

I was there that night, my seat was restricted view behind that big green pillar. Brilliant atmosphere and, as others have said, a rollercoaster of emotions.

Seem to remember a bit of bother on London Rd after the game as back then the segregation wasn’t as strict as today.

I was there.
Without reading any posts
I can’t remember a thing.
We won, I think.

I was there that night, my seat was restricted view behind that big green pillar. Brilliant atmosphere and, as others have said, a rollercoaster of emotions.

Seem to remember a bit of bother on London Rd after the game as back then the segregation wasn’t as strict as today.
I do remember speaking to a few tims on London road after the game, good banter until a few punches came from nowhere from us.
Always bugged me a bit, there was no need.

Proper rollercoaster of a game. Watched it my pals house and his mentally challenged stepdad was there, was supposed to be at the game but he'd f*cked his back at work that day. Which was lucky for me the way I celebrated Goram's penalty save in his living room, if he'd caught me I'd have been put through a window :D

My memories are the amountof chances we missed and when they got their penalty I thought, we are going to regret this, then Goram saved it and the pub went mental. I thought at Van Vossen was offside when he missed at the time. Didn't have a clue what was happening

I remember after celebrating at the final whistle being absolutely knackered, the most drained I have ever felt after a game.

I think I was in their main stand at this game but I am not 100% sure, were we still getting seats in that stand at that time?

One of my most memorable games watching it with my auld man on telly it was a complete roller coaster. My dad a knee slide celebration accross the living room when laudrup scored :D.

My memories are the amountof chances we missed and when they got their penalty I thought, we are going to regret this, then Goram saved it and the pub went mental. I thought at Van Vossen was offside when he missed at the time. Didn't have a clue what was happening
Van Vossen wasn't offside. He was behind the player who passed the ball to him, Albertz iirc.

Van Vossen wasn't offside. He was behind the player who passed the ball to him, Albertz iirc.
Yes I knew that afterwards, but at the time I thought he was and the pub I was in was going mental, maybe I secretly hoped he was offside

A crowd of us from work watched it in my mates house in castlemilk,a proper rollercoaster of emotions that night,was amazing at the final whistle with us all jumping about the room celebrating but one of those games when you were a nervous wreck during it.
Was just as annoyed at the time when gazza missed the penalty as i was at van vossen's sitter. Then they got the penalty and was saying i knew we would get punished for the chances we missed,naw we didnae :) :) :)

6 defenders and a defensive midfielder. One winger who played as a striker in a 361...

I can only imagine what the 'match thread' ahead of that one would have been like

One of the many games that decade that has contributed to the demented state of your average Celtic fan today.

We came, we scored, we nipped out with the 3 points and the Rangers end lapped it up, again.

I always thought it finished 1-1 untill I watched it on sky sports last year. I was sure Di canio scored a last minute Equaliser think I'm getting mixed up with another game

How that game finished 1-0 was mind boggling.

I was also fortunate enough to be there. The amount of chances we had second half was ridiculous, Gazza’s poor penalty, Albertz must have been one on one with the keeper at least 3 or 4 times, the one time he passed and van Vossen missed. Had my head in my hands at that miss, went from 100 to 0 from his chance to their penalty award less than a minute later and then back up to 100 at the fantastic Goram save.
Probably the most exhilarating experience of my time as a fan. The most action packed 1-0 you will ever see.

We didnt have Sky so me and my brother spent the entire game pacing up and down listening to it on the radio and had to watch the Scotsport highlights later.

I remember the commentator saying 'O'Neills slipped, Laudrup surely must score' and thought it was a tap in. Got a surprise watching the highlights when it turned out to be a belter from 20 yards. Also Crazy Nights by Kiss playing over the Scotsport outro of the highlights.

I was there. It was literally unbelievable.
My main memory is thinking we had scored, missed a penalty and had the Van Vossen so whenthey got a penalty I just thought how the fk have we thrown this game away.
Then the Goalie with the save (didn’t know what he said till TV replays).

Heartstopping game.

Just watched the highlights there - cheers for posting. Was as unbelievable as I remember. And Laudrup was a God.

Last edited:
Was 9 at the time and got my ankle trapped in the seat celebrating laudrups goal.

Still think it’s the best game of football I’ve been to.

Was there with my son and rem di canio getting coins thrown at him for gesturing the fans; my son made about £50 picking them up once the bedlum had settled haha

6 defenders and a defensive midfielder. One winger who played as a striker in a 361...

I can only imagine what the 'match thread' ahead of that one would have been like
:) :) :)
So true,to be fair there was many a game in that era against celtic when if there was match threads they would have been best avoided,
"what we doing sitting back"
"Smith better get subs on and change this formation,they are all over us"
"They c@nts are going to score" etc etc
:)

We had more one on one's with their keeper that night than any other game I can remember.

Incredible stuff and Walter's expression at Van Vossen's miss just about sums it up.

All came good in the end though. ;)

One of those games where, despite winning, I was annoyed after that it was only 1-0. We should have scored more that night and could have regretted it afterwards.

Always remember that game simply because i had £10 on us at 7/1 to win 1-0. Wasn't too upset when Van Vossen missed that open goal.

:) :) :)
So true,to be fair there was many a game in that era against celtic when if there was match threads they would have been best avoided,
"what we doing sitting back"
"Smith better get subs on and change this formation,they are all over us"
"They c@nts are going to score" etc etc
:)

Haha indeed, but Walter knew just how to win. It wasn't always pretty but it sure was effective.

I remember one of them I worked beside when Walter came back nearly greetin after big Ugo scored in Walters first game back at park head. "He just knows how to beat us, every bloody time..."

Magic, God Bless Walter Smith!

I was fortunate enough to be there and having missed the opportunities we had it felt inevitable to me that huge donkey would score that penalty. Football has a habit of biting you in the ar*e if you spurn so many chances. When Goram saved it, it was absolute bedlam:D

Random memory from the game is when Gazza missed the penalty, Di Canio goes ballistic running towards the centre of the pitch swinging his arms madly trying to pump them up. He really was a horrible, little greasy bas*ard. This might even be the game where down in the corner, when the ball was out, he kept swearing into our end with that contorted venomous face. Ian Ferguson got the little sh#t a year on:)

Definitely one of the best games I've ever been to, it was a crazy game. I remember reading, in the fanzine I think, that this was voted game of the year in France at the end of that year. Must've been on live over there at the time. We had enough chances to be 4/5 up, heart attack stuff at the end.

One of those games where, despite winning, I was annoyed after that it was only 1-0. We should have scored more that night and could have regretted it afterwards.
Must admit i was raging during it but aftetwards,and especially after them missing the penalty,i was not giving a feck about the misses at all as it was yet another sickener for them

What a great game; we should have had 4 or 5 more.
Brought back memories of a tramp player I had almost forgotten about, Martin Weighorst. What a moany, whinging piece of work he was!

If Albertz was a bit faster we would have scored 5 or 6.

in the 2-2 game that we won on Penalities, a Celtic player made a worse miss than Van Vossen, but I don't think I've heard it mentioned since.

Van Vossen is Old Firm folklore

Back