The £53million overhypes

Govanfrnt

Celtic with their £53m staffing costs and annual £800k+ 1st teams wages are on a domestic winning streak and im sure will go onto beat their own record come Sat but is this masking the fact that with exception of only few matches they've completely underperformed and are still, despite their superior financial state, within reach?

They have won only 64% of their last 25 games and the League table will show you they don't have the best form at home or away games this season with Aberdeen and Rangers holding those positions.

The fact they've failed to beat Killie, Hibs and st Johnstone at home and could only beat Dundee at parkhead 1-0 really doesn't impress when you consider Dembele and Sinclair's weekly wage alone would dwarf those 4 clubs starting 11s wages collectively

Then you've got the top 3 goalscorers in the league and again not one of them a Celtic player.

Every side that Celtic have faced with a greater spending power than them has beat them convincingly yet the Rodgers propoganda machine has them down as world beaters

We have an opportunity here. Get back to winning our home games and Celtic will crack. The pressure they would be under if we ran them close given their monstrous financial advantages would be very difficult to deal with and I've got a sneaky feeling Brendans precious ego could suffer a severe bruising

Teams just need to stop living in fear of this mob

Some very good points there and I for one have not given up hope for this season. I can see teams now feeling they can sneak a draw against them and a defeat is surely going to come sometime soon.
They have never been under any pressure and it will be interesting to see how they react.
The unknown is whether we can put a string of wins together to put them under that pressure.

If we were to go on a run of winning all games between now and the new year year it would see a pressure that Brenda has not seen previously up here lumped on his shoulders.

Lack of consistency has been one of our main issues since the start of last season. Resolve this in the next 10 games, prior to playing them, and we would then see what they are made of.

It's a big ask for us given how we seem to throw in a poor performance/result all to frequently but it's a challenge we must meet head on.

The truth of the matter is that any achievement in Scotland has to be then held up to a comparison with how that team then performs in Europe.
Then there has to be a matter of context, ie what is happening in the rest of Europe in relation to Scotland.

To be fair, Scottish football has probably never been poorer in the history of the game in Scotland.
However, on the other hand Europe has never been more difficult at the top end.

The present Filth team are probably doing no better or worse than expected.
The drubbings they have taken reflect the shift in power to the top teams, whilst also reflecting just how impoverished our domestic league has become in overall comparison.

It has never been easier for the dominant Scottish team to dominate, and it has never been harder for that team to transfer itself onto the European stage.

Rodgers only truly outstanding achievement for The Filth has been to qualify for the Champions League
on two occasions.
For that alone he is worth his salary.

The fact that we have only taken 5 points from 5 home games, and are still in touch, and Dolly are only one point behind them despite getting stuffed 3-0 by them at home, shows they are not that good. Its a pity St Johnstone are on a poor run of form, I cant see them taking anything at the weekend.

Don't kid yourself, they've done very well. Struggle against good European pedigree but unbeaten domestically under Brenda. Scottish football has massively deteriorated but I'm not convinced any of the Rangers teams managed by Souness, Smith or Advocaat could have gone unbeaten domestically.
Brown, Armstrong, McGregor and Roberts have all improved under him. He signed Sinclair who pisses all over Scottish football and Dembele has just been called up by France. Defensively they are still weak, but their midfield and strikers bail them out.

Don't kid yourself, they've done very well. Struggle against good European pedigree but unbeaten domestically under Brenda. Scottish football has massively deteriorated but I'm not convinced any of the Rangers teams managed by Souness, Smith or Advocaat could have gone unbeaten domestically.
Brown, Armstrong, McGregor and Roberts have all improved under him. He signed Sinclair who pisses all over Scottish football and Dembele has just been called up by France. Defensively they are still weak, but their midfield and strikers bail them out.

You seem to forget that there was a lot more competitive edge to our leagues in the days Smith, Souness and Advocaat were managing our club. It wasn't as easy to go on a long winning streak in these days as many of the clubs in the league were able to give the top teams a decent challenge. We are all, well, mostly aware of why that's not the case now.
Mind you, not all of us would be aware that the French guy had just been called up to his national squad. Not too many of us are really interested in what happens with him.

it is only a matter of time before they start to implode.... their fall from grace is going to be lovely. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but soon...ticketty tock.

I am surprised they've been able to stay motivated all that time. It was the thing that always let us down during 9IAR. We had the better players but sometimes our attitude wasn't right and we lost or drew. They've done well, in a sense, to keep going every week.

They've also been lucky not to have hit one of those days - an outstanding keeper, strikers missing everything. You would expect that to happen once or twice a season but they've managed to avoid that so far.

I am surprised they've been able to stay motivated all that time. It was the thing that always let us down during 9IAR. We had the better players but sometimes our attitude wasn't right and we lost or drew. They've done well, in a sense, to keep going every week.

They've also been lucky not to have hit one of those days - an outstanding keeper, strikers missing everything. You would expect that to happen once or twice a season but they've managed to avoid that so far.
That`s what been biggest pain - even after league was won last year they managed to see out rest of games without loss. The next 6/7 weeks leading to winter shutdown will be very important for us.

Some good points and stats there, unfortunately there is only one stat that matters, the top spot in the division.

Truth be told the mhanks are still a mile ahead, they are beating teams without playing well, and when they do turn up, ourselves and Aberdeen can't get near them.

That`s what been biggest pain - even after league was won last year they managed to see out rest of games without loss. The next 6/7 weeks leading to winter shutdown will be very important for us.

Yes, normally you would expect a few 'off' games after the title was clinched. But they didn't have. They've had good levels of motivation. They're also much fitter and stronger than the rest - they have the athleticism of an EPL side, imo. These are the two main things Brenda has done for them.

Their run has to end sometime. I hope sooner rather than later. I feel it will be a shock against a Hamilton / Dundee type team i.e. one they are expected to win.

They've played weakened teams around their CL matches and dropped points as a result. Defeat is coming soon I hope. Lets hope they continue to play weakened teams around their Europa League matches - if they make it through.

I'm very hopeful that we can catch rhem, we're 6 behind and with a new manager in place and a January window to come,I think they are not that far ahead, they'll need the C.L. revenue to pay all those wages. They're complacent and they'll fall on their sword. I hope we start to capitalise on any slips.

Tommy wright and his team to produce the result of the weekend 2-1.but we need to concentrate on our game.

Missing the point?

There is a bigger gap between Celtic and Kilmarnock, than there is between Celtic and PSG in terms of Spending and budget. 1-1 v 0-5 result wise.
So no, Celtic are not doing all that well at all.

Missing the point?

There is a bigger gap between Celtic and Kilmarnock, than there is between Celtic and PSG in terms of Spending and budget. 1-1 v 0-5 result wise.
So no, Celtic are not doing all that well at all.

Is there though? PSG pay one player a year what Celtic's entire staff wage bill is? Their strikeforce cost over £400million alone.

The old "when they lose one they will crumble" line. Still waiting.

Once we get our house in order and can win 3 on the trot I might join the rest in acting like I am an ecstasy and that the mentally challengeds are on the verge of a huge collapse.

Is there though? PSG pay one player a year what Celtic's entire staff wage bill is? Their strikeforce cost over £400million alone.
400 million? For 2 or 3 players?
In any case. Say 2 and give you the benefit of the doubt.

50 x 1 Sinclair.
When was the last time Kilmarnock splashed out 80,000 on a player?

There biggest signing in the last 8 years is 50k... 8 years ago!

Point proved.

If we put together a run which includes a victory over them Brenda won't like it and the mask will slip. Get this appointment correct and invest in January and we will be there

They could easily have went unbeaten if they were playing teams of the current standard in Scotland. I would suggest they might even have been able to get maximum points. ie. win every game.

The fact that we have only taken 5 points from 5 home games, and are still in touch, and Dolly are only one point behind them despite getting stuffed 3-0 by them at home, shows they are not that good. Its a pity St Johnstone are on a poor run of form, I cant see them taking anything at the weekend.

Sorry, but if they are not that good, what does that make the rest of us? I think some are deluding themselves and looking for crumbs of comfort with the league standings at the moment.

The biggest hope for us this year is for that lot to continue in the Europa after christmas for a couple of rounds, where they will continue to rest players and that will see them drop more points. The tranny has acheived all he could domestically, he is definitely looking to make roads into Europe and that could be the downfall. But to say they are not that good is just silly.

Sorry, but if they are not that good, what does that make the rest of us? I think some are deluding themselves and looking for crumbs of comfort with the league standings at the moment.
Aberdeen haven't spent £100,000 on a player over the time McInnes has been there.
Over 20 years ago they were making £1 million pound signings.
Hearts, Hibs and Dundee Utd around 750,000 record fees and now can't pay £75,000 for a player.

10 Times less, 10 - 20 years on!

While Celtic are out spending these teams by up to 50 times and more in many cases.
If the gap was as big in the past, we'd easily be matching their current run.

SCOTTISH FOOTBALL IS IN THE GUTTER.

Back