The “What did you drink in Manchester?” Thread

DeeGer10

Sadly I never experienced it as I was “too young” according to my mother. To be fair she was probably right as I’d of been going down on my own as a 14 year old and had exams that week IIRC.

Got involved in a twitter post and some weird drink selections as the bears cleared out Manchester of the good booze.

What did you get your hands on?

I was at the FF Ritz do, then Albert Square, then the curry mile. I was on nothing but lashings upon lashings of lager. Probably pish at Albert Square, but after the Ritz I couldn't tell!:))

Had to walk about two miles out of the centre to get four Corona. Wasnt getting skinned and forgetting the game.

I was at the FF Ritz do, then Albert Square, then the curry mile. I was on nothing but lashings upon lashings of lager. Probably pish at Albert Square, but after the Ritz I couldn't tell!:))
FF ritz also, even got to sing if you can call it that over the mic

Beer and jager if i remember right then left ticketless mates and walked to stadium with my dad via a wee diner not too far from ground.

Went to a Tesco extra in Manchester city centre and unfortunately the only thing that was left in the fridge was green goblin cider I blame the result on that ;)

Walked into a tesco express and got 4 crates of carling 24 cans each. For me and my 3 mates. Ended up selling about 20 cans for a fiver a pop in the square as people ran out of booze.

Some day.

The shitey carlsberg on tap in Piccadilly Square as they wouldn’t let us in with bottles.:mad:

I had a ticket so left before the nonsense kicked off but was quite surprised to see bottles getting chucked when the screen went off. Always puzzled me where the security that refused us entry with bottles went that night.

Managed to get a slab of beer in a supermarket the night before the game but it was starting to resemble some post-apocalyptic scene in the booze aisle.

I offered a young John Fleck a couple of bottles when we were in one of the squares late afternoon. Suffice to say the young lad declined. Sensible guy !

Off the train and into The Britannia Hotel bar. Had to show proof of booking to get in as there were loads of bears trying to get in to the bar. John Smiths was the drink of choice as I recall.

I was at the FF Ritz so I was pretty wasted by the time we left there, ended up drinking woodpecker cider as that was the only thing we could get.

I was at the Ritz shindig, I then went to a hotel to blag hospitality (seriously), well it was kind of pre-arranged, still had a lot of work to do, few beers in the hotel, then onto a restaurant for a meal and more beer, then off to the game.

One of my greatest days following Rangers, will cherish the memories forever.

Manchester never braced themselves!
5 hours in a Wetherspoons so 15 pints or so of probably the cheapest of Fosters or Carling.
I mind doing tequila eye shots in a rammed Italian wine bar with the smallest TV you've ever seen
..don't try that at home kids!
I was 100% certain we were winning that day and was adamant Thomson was stroking in that frew kick...alas.
Had work at 10am the next day managing a call centre and looked whiter than a jakeys uxter

Sadly I never experienced it as I was “too young” according to my mother. To be fair she was probably right as I’d of been going down on my own as a 14 year old and had exams that week IIRC.

Got involved in a twitter post and some weird drink selections as the bears cleared out Manchester of the good booze.

What did you get your hands on?

Had a good few cans on the way down on the bus , by the time we got to Manchester the Only thing left in the shop we went to was a bottle of Gordon’s Gin and some Fanta Fruit twist , so that’s what got mixed and drank. What a day.

I remember a van stopping round the corner from Albert Square and a ethnic gentleman selling cases of lager from the back of it.

He did a roaring trade due to the Off Licences in the area being emptied
Aye, remember getting a couple of cases of the same gentleman,can't remember what it was though:)) think he was sold out in about 10 minutes.

Travelled up on the London RSC double decker bus, having had a couple of pints in the Cock Tavern before we left. Got stuck in traffic accident near Stoke on the M6.

Carried on drinking when got to Manchester. Carlsberg from Tesco's is all I could get.

Very quiet bus on the way home.

We set up base outside some noodle bar in Piccadilly square. Don't know if the noodle place normally sold booze, but they did when the bears arrived! Pallet after pallet of lager kept arriving as the owner darted out to the cash and carry. All fun and games until the screens were 'turned off'.

Took it relatively easy. Took the advice of one of my club mates who shared a story of his pal getting pished at the '99 CL final and sleeping through the game.

Ai31Gl4.jpg

Don’t drink myself, and didn’t then. However a boy in our Manchester office told me his mate who owned an off licence took £25,000 in a day, and has spoken about it ever since. Never had any turnover like it since.

We had two apartments in the city ctr so we had a fridge full of various alcoholic beverages .so we took a few to Piccadilly gardens spent a couple of hours there,went to albert square got a pint there and drank it walking along to the FF do in the Rits and spent the rest of the afternoon there before heading to the match.

3 cans of warm Carling lager, £15 sitting on the pavement drinking it. They got what they deserved.

Not a thing as we drove down and back up the same day (then night)

Lager. In Albert Square. Lots and lots of lager. From 9am until about 1500hrs and then I stopped. After midnight I had to drive home from Manchester to Anglesey.

Got there early and found a bar called The Lord Nelson. Sat for a few hours than went a walk. Found ourselves in Canal Street, and after going into one bar, got the %^*& out of there as soon as the penny dropped (I was so naive that the fact there was plenty of room and the 'C' in Canal had been blacked out didn't give it away immediately). Found myself in China Town and ' The Smallest Bar in the world) After a few in there, ended up somewhere else and then I was outside the ground. I forget how I got there. I was drinking mostly white wine and vodka.
By the way, I have never watched any of the match on TV and I have a wee throwaway camera that I used that day and it is still somewhere in the house, I never got the photos developed.

Was at the FF Ritz do. Remember queuing outside for it opening at 11am. Surprisingly wasn't too drunk come the march to the ground.

It was shite, but with the time difference I didn't know of anywhere showing it at that time of the day. If it was now, I would post the obligatory "watching the game in xxx" and no doubt would be somewhere close by

Fair enough I suppose it just sounds mental now when you can Google 'live football' and get an instant stream nowadays. But even still 11 years ago I'd have thought Rangers TV was well publicized ahead of the game - or if it came to it, illegal streaming. You must've been one of the very few.

Bottle of sauvignon blanc. Couldnt find any beer left in the city centre and that was pretty much all they had that was cold and wet. Was so packed outside picadilly I couldn't even get a swig.

Whatever we could get in the Tesco Extra near Piccadilly station. Had a couple of pints in a dreadful Wetherspoons across the road and randomly bumped into around 40 guys from we knew from back home.
our lot from the bus decided to hole up in Piccadilly Sq (groan) but we went a wander and ended up in a nice pub/restaurant that the guys from Oi Polloi phones ahead to get us in.
Also went to a pub near Malmaison and then back to Piccadilly. You know the rest...

It was murder trying to get served or even find a place that hadn’t ran out of booze.

Found an offies down a side street not far from Piccadilly. There was not a punter in sight and the shelves were stacked. Bliss.

Grabbed some crates of Tsingtao.

Pointed other desperate Bears in the direction of the shop so I doubt the shelves were full for long.

I only had about 4 Stella as I was determined not to make a James Hunt of it and wanted to soak up the atmosphere. We were in the ground over an hour before the game, I remember standing looking round the ground and a wee tear coming to my eye as I absorbed what the occasion meant. If only we could have got a goal, it would have been interesting to see how the Russians coped with the place erupting and us turning the screw.

Back