The “What did you drink in Manchester?” Thread

I only had about 4 Stella as I was determined not to make a James Hunt of it and wanted to soak up the atmosphere. We were in the ground over an hour before the game, I remember standing looking round the ground and a wee tear coming to my eye as I absorbed what the occasion meant. If only we could have got a goal, it would have been interesting to see how the Russians coped with the place erupting and us turning the screw.
I went into the ground as early as I have ever been for one of our games.i just wanted to soak it all in.

Not a thing as we drove down and back up the same day (then night)

Same. I was on my initial training course for work. Had to beg to be allowed to go. Was only granted the afternoon off so left at 1pm and had to return straight back after the game. I parked in the official car park at the stadium and just wandered around with my granny, chatting to other Bears and Russians. We must have been one of the first in the ground.

I remember there being a bad RTC on the way home. Sure a biker was killed.

Crates of beer, when we ran out I vaguely remember us walking out to an Asian supermarket and buying crates of tsingtao then we realised they were bottles and we didn't have an opener. We managed though!

Went into a Danish pub in Oxford Road had a few beers and a meal then got a bus to the game. Still the most gutting experience in my life of being a bear. Walked back to meet my brother in law and sister in law to get a bus back to Preston where we were staying. Thought I’d have a kebab as I waited - bad idea got horrendous food poisoning was so ill I hung out the car spewing on the M6 as we drove home. Summed up the whole thing for me. Rotten experience and I doubt we’ll ever be in a European final again.

Not a drop! Used my “non-contact time” (I’m a teacher) to drive down to Manchester at noon and drove back up straight after the game. Thursday was a slog!

Our day was pretty civilised. Spent the morning setting up the Union Flag display on the seats at the ground.

Back to hotel for a quick change. Few drinks in a very posh bar next to the Vivienne Westwood shop in the swanky part of town then caught the shuttle bus up to the ground. Few more in Mary D's then into the stadium.

Lived down in Rugby at the time and the ex-wife drove us up, drunk 25 cans of Carling, remember bumping into Alan Hutton once there, couldn't tell you for the life of me where, sketchy memory also about our planned place to watch it having some issues so watched it in some pub, couldn't even guess what I drank there, remember it was rammed full and some atmosphere, hardly remember anything about the game, gutted!! Walking advert for the all the reasons not to drink way way too much, ruined a special occasion (and it was despite the result) still haven't to this day watched that game back but still regret being there and basically missing it!! I could have been on the grassy knoll when JFK was assassinated and would have been no use to them, total pendejo!!

Me and the lads had a trolley full of Strongbow, Stella and Carling free beers for any Bear that wanted one. :))

Coke for breakfast.:p

Three pints before the game as we got stuck in traffic. Never knew there was any trouble until we were walking back. After the crap score, the news coming through never had much more and went to bed. Bad loser.

The supermarket near Piccadilly’s shelf’s were bare apart from banana liqueur ... was some sing song and a smashing bouncy at the check outs though

Had to make do with using a wine bar in Albert Square as every shop and bar around us sold out of anything alcoholic. News spread of a delivery to a Tescos Express and we bolted round only to be left with some horrible ale.

The ale was rotten and we turned to using the wine bar again and paying over the odds.

Multiple litres of Carling. I dread to think what damage I did to my liver and the heightened risk of skin cancer I’ve given myself as a result of those few days. Weather was glorious and I got burnt stupid.

Same. I was on my initial training course for work. Had to beg to be allowed to go. Was only granted the afternoon off so left at 1pm and had to return straight back after the game. I parked in the official car park at the stadium and just wandered around with my granny, chatting to other Bears and Russians. We must have been one of the first in the ground.

I remember there being a bad RTC on the way home. Sure a biker was killed.

I only got tickets through Viagogo a week or so before the final, getting time off wasn't so difficult for me but was for my wife. We'd to work a halfday on the day of the final and she had to work halfday the following day (I took it off)

Getting back to the train station was the easiest part, Waiting on a train for over an hour was bad. Getting off and waiting for a taxi was worse. Getting to the airport where we left the car was expensive but I'd have paid double just to get out of the city centre

Actually drove past a petrol station coming out the airport - amateur mistake. Petrol stations on the motorway were being closed as we were reaching them. The one that wasn't actually closed after letting us in. Took over an hour to get petrol too.

Worst journey home ever. Didn't even realise there had been any trouble until the news on the tele the next morning

Can remember plenty of bottles of Rose' being consumed as they were the only booze left on the shelves. Also Remember folk were getting taxis to the surrounding towns and back to stock up.
I used to live in Manchester, so knew the places others might not have. Ended up buying a crate of Stella from the Chinese Supermarket at the bottom of Oldham Road.

Our bus dropped us off in Warrington. Some guys decided to go straight to Manchester, so on their advice got a cargo of cans (Bass) and headed up, eventually. Lasted until we got to the ground. Water after that.

Can remember plenty of bottles of Rose' being consumed as they were the only booze left on the shelves. Also Remember folk were getting taxis to the surrounding towns and back to stock up.
something i remember called ginger tealfea winei think which ismeant to be used as a mixer. was the only thing left

Coming out of the ground after the game the Russian lads started rooting around in the rubbish bins, and pulled out bottles of vodka they’d stashed earlier.

Can’t fault proper planning :D

My pal brought 4 bottles of champagne down, between four of us, to be opened if we won. We tanned them all on the Tuesday night after we arrived. Lager the rest the of the time.

Our day was pretty civilised. Spent the morning setting up the Union Flag display on the seats at the ground.

Back to hotel for a quick change. Few drinks in a very posh bar next to the Vivienne Westwood shop in the swanky part of town then caught the shuttle bus up to the ground. Few more in Mary D's then into the stadium.
Great footage there.

We took a cargo down with us. We were getting mad offers for our crate of tennents when we were walking across the city centre!

A few beers at lunchtime in Chinatown and back into Albert Square. Didn't bother with a carry out as I'd hoped to be partying for the next 3 or 4 days. Went back into Chinatown at FT to meet the mates I'd lost in the crowd at the same pub but they were all shut.

Went into the square but made our way back out as it was so busy. Then had to walk a fair bit to find a shop/off sales which didn’t have a queue of bears outside it. Then spent most of the day drinking outside a big pub on the canal

Took it easy on the drink as i didnt want to miss any of the game, and the lager in the square was rotten

I remember going into an Aldi or Lidl packed with fellow bears all singing songs and the staff couldnt get the bevy out the store room quick enough. Ended up with some rank rotten, roasting hot cans of german lager. We got 4 crates between the 5 of us only 3 were drinking. I got offered £70 off a random guy in the street for a crate and had to decline the offer in fear of running out of beers. What a day that was!

Only two of us without tickets so after the rest headed to the match we went up China town got a case of some Chinese pish and headed back to Picadily and spotted a pub down a side street called the Shamrock no draugtht beer only cans of Red Stripe and John Smiths ended up watching the game there they closed the doors and people were actually standing outside watching through the window after the screen fiasco

12 cans and a bottle of buckfast on the bus down

The fanzines were drank dry by the time we got there, paid £16 in a taxi out of town to get drink and ended up with 6 litres of warm cider as there was next to nothing else left

Beers before the game, then went into Tesco near Piccadilly gardens, shelves were deserted but somehow managed to find two bottles of Echo Falls (Derrys walls) Merlot...
We tanned one then sneaked one into a pub near the printworks to watch the game

I didn’t touch a drop all day. I’m enough of a basket case at games without a drink in me. I would have given quite a lot for anything at all to drink at the final whistle though.

I'm pretty sure that was where we went for our cargo. All that was left were beers called Bagdadi, or something like that! And white wine that tasted like vinegar.
As long as it was wet, we weren't caring :)
Galahad mate?
We got the last case out of that very shop!

I got two twelve packs of cans of old speckled hen, that was the best option. Never enjoyed warm ale better than that day .

We bought crates of Tuborg from Majestic quite a bit out from the centre. Got into the centre and a guy offered me 70 quid for it haha. Didn't take him up on the offer as drink really was scarce.

Seen guys coming out of BHS with loads of those "Beers of the World" gift packs at one point.

We knew the place was selling out of booze so we stopped off at an Asda somewhere in Bolton first, we all got a crate of Fosters each, then a roll of bin bags, that’s how we carried our beer around all day!

I was absolutely sozzled come the end of the day, woke up on my mates couch where we were staying with a stinking hangover the next morning.

Went down the day before and stayed in Fallowfield and had stocked up with buckfast before getting train down.

Despite being rough as the next day having drank one of the bottles of tonic the night before was able to restock in an off-licence before getting bus into centre to catch up with rest of mates who were arriving that day. We spent a fair amount of time drinking in the square / courtyard area at the Great Northern complex which was a decent spot. Combination of more buckfast, cans and in and out of pubs seen me through and despite what I drank I clearly remembered everything. Changed days from now where a fraction of what was consumed that day would see me blackout and be a complete liability.

Even went out after it for what was a decent enough night around Deansgate (despite the game itself) and made it back to the flat we were staying in around 3/4ish. Only then did I find out about the trouble which had erupted just around from Albert Sq where I'd watched the game.

Sadly I never experienced it as I was “too young” according to my mother. To be fair she was probably right as I’d of been going down on my own as a 14 year old and had exams that week IIRC.

Got involved in a twitter post and some weird drink selections as the bears cleared out Manchester of the good booze.

What did you get your hands on?
Vodka buckfast, couple of beers and more vodka . Finished with a vodka

Back