The 12 players out of contract at end of the season

ItsInTheNet

GIOVANNI van Bronckhorst had some serious decisions to make in the summer - and with contracts set to expire next year he's set for some more thinking.

The Rangers boss handed contract extensions to Connor Goldson, Allan McGregor, Scott Arfield and Steven Davis in the off-season.

And he has previously revealed he's already discussing deals with Ibrox stars into the final 12 months of their contract.
It's widely understood that Alfredo Morelos and Ryan Kent are two of the big names into their final year at the club.
But there's also the debate over loan to buy options on Malik Tillman and James Sands with several other first team players in their final year.

Here's every Rangers player who is set to be out of contract in the summer of 2023...

Allan McGregor

Ibrox favourite McGregor was handed a one-year extension after rumours he could call time on his career.
The keeper featured heavily in the Rangers run to the Europa League but fell to second-pick at the start of this season.

However, he has returned to the starting-line-up more recently after Jon McLaughlin picked up an injury.
His current deal expires in summer 2023.

Steven Davis
Similarly, there were question marks over Davis' future at Ibrox last season.
But he too was given another year on his deal.
Davis has featured eight times so far this season, but it remains to be seen whether Van Bronckhorst views the Northern Ireland midfielder as having a further future at the club.
Scott Arfield

Arfield has been ever-reliable for Rangers in the past few years, and it was no different last season.
Van Bronckhorst rewarded the midfielder with a one-year deal over the summer.
And he's played in every league game so far this season and played three times in Europe so far.
With his contract ending in the summer, Van Brocnkhorst will have another decision on his hands with regards the midfielder's future.

Ryan Jack
Jack was first signed back in 2017 before penning a two-year contract extension in 2021.

The midfielder has made 161 appearances for Rangers since joining from Aberdeen.
He's played nine times so far this season and is everpresent in matchday squads.

Filip Helander
Signed in 2019, Helander was a major transfer for Steven Gerrard.
The centre-back joined Rangers from Bologna on a four-year deal which expires in the summer of 2023.
The defender - who has impressed when available - has however, struggled with injury problems.
Helander has knee surgery on a problem and struggled with a foot injury, he then pulled up in pre-season training and is yet to return to action.

Robby McCrorie
McCrorie was recently called up to the Scotland national team in place of Jon McLaughlin.
The keeper is part of the regular three-man goalkeeping team at Ibrox but Steve Clarke has stated his limited playing time is a concern.
A lot of his future could depend on McGregor's future but it's not clear whether Van Bronckhorst sees McCrorie as a long-term player for the club, or where McCrorie sees his own future.

Ryan Kent
Kent has been a key player for Rangers since his first initial loan spell in 2018.
The winger was a significant signing costing around £7million when Steven Gerrard signed him on a four-year deal in 2019.
Rangers have previously rejected interest in the winger from the Premier League with Leeds often linked with moves.
But now, Kent has under 12 months on his contract - leaving Rangers facing losing him in the summer for nothing unless a new agreement can be achieved.

Alfredo Morelos
Another of the major contract concerns for Van Bronckhorst.
The Rangers boss had previously revealed talks were ongoing - these were however, put on hold after the striker was dropped over fitness and attitude concerns.
Since this, though, Van Bronckhorst has praised Morelos for his improved training and performances.
It not yet known if contract talks have restarted - but with the risk of losing Morelos for nothing next summer, a new deal or selling in January could be viewed as possible options.

Kieran Wright
Wright is the third Rangers keeper who is into the final 12 months of his Ibrox deal.
The shot-stopper has yet to make an appearance for Rangers but has turned out for Partick Thistle, Dumbarton, Albion Rovers, Raith Rovers and Alloa in past seasons.

Adam Devine
Devine signed a two-year deal back in 2021 ahead of the B Team joining the Lowland League and competing in the UEFA Youth League competition.
The full-back has been on the bench for Rangers in the league and Champions League this season.
He made his debut against Dundee United last season and played the entire match in the 3-1 win over Hearts in the final league match.

James Sands

Rangers first signed James Sands in January of this year on an 18-month loan with an option-to-buy.

The 22-year-old struggled for minutes when he first signed but has grown into a key player playing at centre-back for Van Bronckhorst.

Sands appears to have majorly improved in recent months and developed a solid partnership with Connor Goldson.

With the option-to-buy, Rangers could extend the deal and sign the defender/midfielder on a permanent basis.

Malik Tillman

Youngster Tillman joined Rangers from Bayern Munich in a loan with option-to-buy deal.

The US international made a blistering start to life at Ibrox and is among the fans favourites for Rangers.

The 20-year-old looks to have a bright future in the game and with Rangers holding an exclusive option to buy the midfielder - there's a chance he could stay at Ibrox past the summer.

I think Arfield & Jack are stick ons for extensions, due to them being good squad players and homegrown.

Reckon

McCrorie
Devine
Sands
Tillman
Alfie

Will extend as well.

I love Helander as a player, and I do feel for him because a couple of his injuries you’ve seen happen on the pitch, but he’ll leave.

Davis, McGregor & Wright I can’t see extending. Think Davis will want to wind down at Linfield.

A bit disingenuous of them to include two loan players, but it helps their headline I guess.

There's a few in there we'll want to stay, many we'll have planned to only have for this season.

It's something that's becoming more popular among players now - leaving their options open until very late. Some of the players still out of contract from this summer are surprising, and when you look at a list of players whose contracts are up at the end of this season, there's a lot of names that are surprising and a few big clubs where a number of players are in that situation, and not just fringe players either.

I've heard Wenger suggest that football is moving towards this being the norm - players seeing out contracts, transfer fees being rare. Time will tell on that one, but it's definitely shifted a fair bit in recent years.

A bit disingenuous of them to include two loan players, but it helps their headline I guess.

There's a few in there we'll want to stay, many we'll have planned to only have for this season.

It's something that's becoming more popular among players now - leaving their options open until very late. Some of the players still out of contract from this summer are surprising, and when you look at a list of players whose contracts are up at the end of this season, there's a lot of names that are surprising and a few big clubs where a number of players are in that situation, and not just fringe players either.

I've heard Wenger suggest that football is moving towards this being the norm - players seeing out contracts, transfer fees being rare. Time will tell on that one, but it's definitely shifted a fair bit in recent years.
Don’t want to derail the thread, but I’m surprised someone like Denayer is still without a club!

It's entirely accurate tough. They are on loan contracts with us and as things stand won't be here next season.

It's entirely accurate tough. They are on loan contracts with us and as things stand won't be here next season.
It's not just a case of extending their deals. We would need to shell out significant funds on both, by all accounts.

So in the context of the article it most definitely is disingenuous.

Reactions: cav
I know Kent and Morelos have their critics on here but they are both good players that have their best years in front of them. I'd be hoping to tie them both down on long-term deals if possible. I know it takes both parties to agree a contract but we have numerous areas of the team that need addressing without adding to it. If they leave for nothing, it's big money to replace them. I know Morelos only cost a million quid but if it was that easy to identify quality at that price, we'd have a whole team full.

Everyone else on the list is expendable in my opinion, which is a shame because there's guys there that have contributed well over the years but there's no room for sentimentality. Thank them and move on.

Sign tillman, would look to resign kent, Devine for a contract extension, mccrorie for another extension with him as back up gk. Apart from that I would let everyone else leave. Not really groundbreaking stuff but would free up a lot of wages as well for next summer were we really need to do a full rebuild in one summer.

i wouild keep arfield. he always does a job if he is happy with limited game time. Two Ryans i would let go. Morelos would need to be back to his best.

would like to see McCrorrie get some games to see if we can cut it. always been very well thought of

Devine a no brainer.

I think Arfield & Jack are stick ons for extensions, due to them being good squad players and homegrown.

Reckon

McCrorie
Devine
Sands
Tillman
Alfie

Will extend as well.

I love Helander as a player, and I do feel for him because a couple of his injuries you’ve seen happen on the pitch, but he’ll leave.

Davis, McGregor & Wright I can’t see extending. Think Davis will want to wind down at Linfield.
Why Linfield?

Digressing a bit here but is it no extraordinary that we don’t even seem to know what Helander’s injury is? Same with Souttar?

Devine, alfie, tillman and maybe arfield
The rest can leave and i wouldn't be bothered

Why Linfield?
To be honest I probably jumped the gun a bit, just presumed he supports them as my mate has met him at a couple of their games!

That said, even at the age of 74 he’s far too good to be playing in the Northern Irish league, but could see him playing there for a year or two before retiring.

To be honest I probably jumped the gun a bit, just presumed he supports them as my mate has met him at a couple of their games!

That said, even at the age of 74 he’s far too good to be playing in the Northern Irish league, but could see him playing there for a year or two before retiring.
I think he has too much pride in his career to go play an easy league for a season or two just to pad it out. If he doesn’t retire he’s easily good enough for another premiership side here

I think he has too much pride in his career to go play an easy league for a season or two just to pad it out. If he doesn’t retire he’s easily good enough for another premiership side here
Yeah, definitely.

Ideally he would be a very good coach and stay on our books, or even be involved with the academy in Northern Ireland.

Love Davo, but I think this will be his final season for us.

The biggest problem for us from that list is the number of Home grown players on it who are in our UEFA A squad. Easy to say 'let them go' - but we'd need to replace them with other Home grown players, be it via signings or by youngsters outgrowing the B squad and proving good enough to feature at UEFA level.

The biggest problem for us from that list is the number of Home grown players on it who are in our UEFA A squad. Easy to say 'let them go' - but we'd need to replace them with other Home grown players, be it via signings or by youngsters outgrowing the B squad and proving good enough to feature at UEFA level.
And in a vicious circle we don’t want to give youngsters a chance (although that has improved recently)

Yeah.

As it stands we’d be losing 2 CT’d & 2 NT’d, leaves us with a squad of 18/19 which isn’t enough. Obviously can be supplemented via the B list, then those players being registered as club trained after they turn 21, but still.

As I said above, will be very surprised if Jack/Arfield don’t extend.

I'm not convinced Kent will re sign with GvB in charge. Would keep Morelos, Tillman, Sands and Arfield, maybe Jack. Let rest leave. Get our pool down to normal levels. We've got biggest pool in league.

Alfie and kent need new deals if only to protect some value when selling them.

Arfield Davis Jack and mcgregor should really be moved on but that's a lot of experience to walk out the dressing room.

Sands and Tillman still have lots to prove this season to show that they're worth the kind of outlay it will cost to bring them in permanently.

They have had some good games, yes, but they have had some absolute shockers too. More consistency required.

I'm far from convinced that Sands has the kind of physicality we need in defense especially.

Arfield and Jack will get offered deals.

Jack may move on though to get a longer deal elsewhere. I expect we only offer him one year.

Davis will likely stay if he wants another year.

Mcgregor I think will retire. Helander will go.

Hopefully Kent and Morelos extend. Either leaving for nothing would be awful, Kent in particular given the outlay for him.

I suspect Sands and Tillman are already done and in the books for the coming seasons.

New contract for Devine as well.

No idea about Wright.

Sands is decent but not at the prices quoted also for me Tillman is good but at 5million going by reports thats a gamble I’m 50/50 on should we take. he has everything accept pace and at times looks like very uninterested (could be the horseshoe don’t suit his game).

Arfield and Jack will get offered deals.

Jack may move on though to get a longer deal elsewhere. I expect we only offer him one year.

Davis will likely stay if he wants another year.

Mcgregor I think will retire. Helander will go.

Hopefully Kent and Morelos extend. Either leaving for nothing would be awful, Kent in particular given the outlay for him.

I suspect Sands and Tillman are already done and in the books for the coming seasons.

New contract for Devine as well.

No idea about Wright.
Depressing if true.

Sands is just an average player.

At least with Tillman there’s been flashes of brilliance there.

And even at that Tillman has been dreadful ever since the St Johnstone home game. Such a slow and ponderous player but there’s technical ability to work with.

It just shows how bad the club is being run. By that I mean letting 11 players contracts get to this point. Players with maybe a little resale value should have either been offered new deals or moved on at the start of the season.

Letting Helander, Kent and Morelos contracts run down is scandalous.

If all of the above don't re-sign then the euro squad would be

Mclaughlin
GK
GK

Tav
RB
Borna
Yilmaz
Goldson
King
Souttar
Davies

Kamara
Lundstram
Mccann
Lawrence

Hagi
Wright
Matondo
Sakala
Lowry

Colak
Roofe

That's a squad of 17 at the moment
2 club trained - King and lowry
2 Country trained - Souttar and wright

Would mean we can only add 4 non Scottish players to that squad as it stands

I would be stunned if Jack and arfield didn't re-sign on that basis alone nevermind their experience and quality on the park. Mccrorie maybe too

I can't see us throwing a lot of youths in if they aren't ready

I can't see us signing many other Scottish players. Not much talent that jumps out in league and the national squad

Back