The 12 players out of contract at end of the season

I dont see Morelos or Kent signing new deals.. both are coming to the end of their Rangers careers imo.

I wouldn't renew any of the contracts due to expire apart from Devine & maybe Mcrorie as back up.

And I wouldn't sign Sands or Tiliman for the fees mentioned.

I look forward to anther masterclass from Wilson next summer.. we're in some state!

Last edited:
If all of the above don't re-sign then the euro squad would be

Mclaughlin
GK
GK

Tav
RB
Borna
Yilmaz
Goldson
King
Souttar
Davies

Kamara
Lundstram
Mccann
Lawrence

Hagi
Wright
Matondo
Sakala
Lowry

Colak
Roofe

That's a squad of 17 at the moment
2 club trained - King and lowry
2 Country trained - Souttar and wright

Would mean we can only add 4 non Scottish players to that squad as it stands

I would be stunned if Jack and arfield didn't re-sign on that basis alone nevermind their experience and quality on the park. Mccrorie maybe too

I can't see us throwing a lot of youths in if they aren't ready

I can't see us signing many other Scottish players. Not much talent that jumps out in league and the national squad
In general I agree with your post mate, but I don’t think we’ll register King/Lowry/Devine on the A List when we don’t need to when they turn 21 or whatever.

In general I agree with your post mate, but I don’t think we’ll register King/Lowry/Devine on the A List when we don’t need to when they turn 21 or whatever.
Yes that's true so there is even more space for scottish signings if available

Sign Tillman
Leaning towards sign Sands, but still undecided
Sign Alfie and Kent if possible
Sign Devine
Sign McCrorie

Rest can leave
Tillman and Sands, plenty time to make a decision. Jury is out on both.

Devine - yes.

Alfie - yes, if he gets back to his best, he's still comfortably our best striker.

Kent - a change might be best for both parties

McCrorie - if at this stage in his career, he's still our no. 3, behind a 40 year old and a 35 year old, then unless he makes a breakthrough before the end of the season, again, maybe best for everyone if he moves on.

Got to be the final season for the rest.

GIOVANNI van Bronckhorst had some serious decisions to make in the summer - and with contracts set to expire next year he's set for some more thinking.

The Rangers boss handed contract extensions to Connor Goldson, Allan McGregor, Scott Arfield and Steven Davis in the off-season.

And he has previously revealed he's already discussing deals with Ibrox stars into the final 12 months of their contract.
It's widely understood that Alfredo Morelos and Ryan Kent are two of the big names into their final year at the club.
But there's also the debate over loan to buy options on Malik Tillman and James Sands with several other first team players in their final year.

Here's every Rangers player who is set to be out of contract in the summer of 2023...

Allan McGregor

Ibrox favourite McGregor was handed a one-year extension after rumours he could call time on his career.
The keeper featured heavily in the Rangers run to the Europa League but fell to second-pick at the start of this season.

However, he has returned to the starting-line-up more recently after Jon McLaughlin picked up an injury.
His current deal expires in summer 2023.

Steven Davis
Similarly, there were question marks over Davis' future at Ibrox last season.
But he too was given another year on his deal.
Davis has featured eight times so far this season, but it remains to be seen whether Van Bronckhorst views the Northern Ireland midfielder as having a further future at the club.
Scott Arfield

Arfield has been ever-reliable for Rangers in the past few years, and it was no different last season.
Van Bronckhorst rewarded the midfielder with a one-year deal over the summer.
And he's played in every league game so far this season and played three times in Europe so far.
With his contract ending in the summer, Van Brocnkhorst will have another decision on his hands with regards the midfielder's future.

Ryan Jack
Jack was first signed back in 2017 before penning a two-year contract extension in 2021.

The midfielder has made 161 appearances for Rangers since joining from Aberdeen.
He's played nine times so far this season and is everpresent in matchday squads.

Filip Helander
Signed in 2019, Helander was a major transfer for Steven Gerrard.
The centre-back joined Rangers from Bologna on a four-year deal which expires in the summer of 2023.
The defender - who has impressed when available - has however, struggled with injury problems.
Helander has knee surgery on a problem and struggled with a foot injury, he then pulled up in pre-season training and is yet to return to action.

Robby McCrorie
McCrorie was recently called up to the Scotland national team in place of Jon McLaughlin.
The keeper is part of the regular three-man goalkeeping team at Ibrox but Steve Clarke has stated his limited playing time is a concern.
A lot of his future could depend on McGregor's future but it's not clear whether Van Bronckhorst sees McCrorie as a long-term player for the club, or where McCrorie sees his own future.

Ryan Kent
Kent has been a key player for Rangers since his first initial loan spell in 2018.
The winger was a significant signing costing around £7million when Steven Gerrard signed him on a four-year deal in 2019.
Rangers have previously rejected interest in the winger from the Premier League with Leeds often linked with moves.
But now, Kent has under 12 months on his contract - leaving Rangers facing losing him in the summer for nothing unless a new agreement can be achieved.

Alfredo Morelos
Another of the major contract concerns for Van Bronckhorst.
The Rangers boss had previously revealed talks were ongoing - these were however, put on hold after the striker was dropped over fitness and attitude concerns.
Since this, though, Van Bronckhorst has praised Morelos for his improved training and performances.
It not yet known if contract talks have restarted - but with the risk of losing Morelos for nothing next summer, a new deal or selling in January could be viewed as possible options.

Kieran Wright
Wright is the third Rangers keeper who is into the final 12 months of his Ibrox deal.
The shot-stopper has yet to make an appearance for Rangers but has turned out for Partick Thistle, Dumbarton, Albion Rovers, Raith Rovers and Alloa in past seasons.

Adam Devine
Devine signed a two-year deal back in 2021 ahead of the B Team joining the Lowland League and competing in the UEFA Youth League competition.
The full-back has been on the bench for Rangers in the league and Champions League this season.
He made his debut against Dundee United last season and played the entire match in the 3-1 win over Hearts in the final league match.

James Sands

Rangers first signed James Sands in January of this year on an 18-month loan with an option-to-buy.

The 22-year-old struggled for minutes when he first signed but has grown into a key player playing at centre-back for Van Bronckhorst.

Sands appears to have majorly improved in recent months and developed a solid partnership with Connor Goldson.

With the option-to-buy, Rangers could extend the deal and sign the defender/midfielder on a permanent basis.

Malik Tillman

Youngster Tillman joined Rangers from Bayern Munich in a loan with option-to-buy deal.

The US international made a blistering start to life at Ibrox and is among the fans favourites for Rangers.

The 20-year-old looks to have a bright future in the game and with Rangers holding an exclusive option to buy the midfielder - there's a chance he could stay at Ibrox past the summer.
Keep Alfie and Kent if possible.

Sands and particularly Tillman have to show more and even then I’d be looking at renegotiating, wouldn’t be spending £4-5m on each if that’s accurate.

McGregor and Davis, thank you very much but time has come.

Jack - one of my favourite players if fit, needs to prove that though. Short term extension if this season goes ok.

Arfield - possibly another 1 year deal as a squad player if he has a decent season.

Helander - sad but we just can’t get him fit, too much resources (guessing his wage here) going out with not enough return.

McCrorie - now or never, use him (be it no 2) or let him go.

8 of those 12 can leave/retire with our thanks.

Alfie, Tillman, Kent and maybe Sands could be signed - but 2 of those are loans anyway so if they don't perform for the rest of the season its no loss.

Devine & Tillman aside, I’d either let them all go or sell them for any value (I accept cut price deals for a Kent or Morelos).

As it stands, I wouldn't be looking to spend almost £10m on Sands and Tillman

If we had someone decent that could recruit, I'm sure we'd find better elsewhere.

We'll offer extensions for Europe, as depressing as it is I'd imagine it will be airfield and Jack

Kent doesn't look interested at the moment for whatever reason but depending on the management set up, someone might get him firing again

Wouldn't be paying a single penny for Sands. Nowhere near good enough, neither at CH, nor would he offer anything different in midfield that would ,merit the supposed fee involved. Get rid.

Tillman has the attributes, however his form has waivered since the start of the season, and is quite pedestrian at times. To sign him permanently, any decision should be delayed, theres no real rush.

Kent, on current form, doesnt deserve a new deal imo. His numbers from an attacking player are terrible, and requires a vast improvement.

Alfie is a no brainer.

Davis/McGregor will retire imo

Helander should be let go. As good a defender as he is, the club cant afford to extend his contract until he has a long sustained run in the team.

Jack, needs to find some consistency and form to merit an extension. Personally love Jack, however no room for sentiment if we are to progress.

Arfield has always got something to offer the team, as a starter against certain SPL teams, and also from the bench. Good utility player to have in the team. Essentially any extension offered would be purely down to Arfield himself.

Devine for me is the dubious one. Against Ajax away would have been to time to let him play when Tav went off, yet GVB exposed a young CH in King at right back? why? letting the young polish RB to go would suggest GVB is happy enough with Devine, so why not play Tavs back up? the game was lost anyway, give the boy a run.

The rest I would release

I can see us bringing in some players in January.
There’s one obvious one that’ll start rearing it’s head soon for an area we need someone and he’s not getting a game abroad.

Easy deal to do but folk will go mental as he’s not exactly an FF fave haha

Is the Sands fee set in GBP or USD? If it’s USD, it’s jumped from £4m to £6m since he’s been here.

I’d love Morelos to extend, Devine should get a deal and see how he develops, The likes of jack, Arfield should move on

Would only keep Mcrorie, Devine and the rest can go with My best wishes. We need to freshen up, clear out the ageing squad and bring in quality replacements

Sands and Tillman still have lots to prove this season to show that they're worth the kind of outlay it will cost to bring them in permanently.

They have had some good games, yes, but they have had some absolute shockers too. More consistency required.

I'm far from convinced that Sands has the kind of physicality we need in defense especially.
This is it in a nutshell.

I’m actually quite surprised at the rush from some people to see these two signed up.

If (big if) the reported fees to complete the deals are accurate, north of £4m for Sands and £5m+ for Tillman then I’d need to see a lot more from both of them to justify that kind of outlay.

They need to be judged over a season. Like you I’m unconvinced by Sands. He’s been sent off once and subbed twice when he was on a yellow because he was an accident waiting to happen.

we should be focusing on developing youth mixed with proper signings, No more extensions for squad players or signing players who ain’t going to improve our starting 11

I think Arfield & Jack are stick ons for extensions, due to them being good squad players and homegrown.

Reckon

McCrorie
Devine
Sands
Tillman
Alfie

Will extend as well.

I love Helander as a player, and I do feel for him because a couple of his injuries you’ve seen happen on the pitch, but he’ll leave.

Davis, McGregor & Wright I can’t see extending. Think Davis will want to wind down at Linfield.
I’d agree with all of that bar sands

I think Arfield & Jack are stick ons for extensions, due to them being good squad players and homegrown.

Reckon

McCrorie
Devine
Sands
Tillman
Alfie

Will extend as well.

I love Helander as a player, and I do feel for him because a couple of his injuries you’ve seen happen on the pitch, but he’ll leave.

Davis, McGregor & Wright I can’t see extending. Think Davis will want to wind down at Linfield.
Jesus why on earth would you want extensions for Jack and Arfield ? this is the last year for them, we have to start bringing in new blood and stop clinging onto these players its so strange.

Jesus why on earth would you want extensions for Jack and Arfield ? this is the last year for them, we have to start bringing in new blood and stop clinging onto these players its so strange.
Not sure where you’ve got me wanting extensions for them from. I just alluded to the fact I will be very surprised if they aren’t offered - for the reasons I stated.

He has literally said in the post why he would keep them.

The homegrown quota in Europe means we need a good few squad players who are classed as homegrown. Hence why guys like Wright, Jack and Arfield will probably be kept on.

He has literally said in the post why he would keep them.

The homegrown quota in Europe means we need a good few squad players who are classed as homegrown. Hence why guys like Wright, Jack and Arfield will probably be kept on.
Yeah.

I’m absolutely convinced the only reason McGregor got an extension was so that we could have three senior keepers in the Euro squad.
That said, we’ll just be in the same position next season unless we do some shuffling about of where we use our 17 ‘foreign’ slots.

Said in this thread or another, that I genuinely think we will resign Liam Kelly at some stage for a club trained back up option.

Last edited:
Not sure where you’ve got me wanting extensions for them from. I just alluded to the fact I will be very surprised if they aren’t offered - for the reasons I stated.
I must have misread apologies.

If they are still here next season we will be in an even worse position than we are now.

Utterly bizarre to me that Tillman is being wrote off here by many.

The guy has been brilliant in 90% of his games so far. Im absolutely all in on keeping him. Hes had a poor day at celtic park out of position along with every single one of his team mates.

Kent from a financial view needs to be the number one priority, £7m is too much to make nothing back on and despite how bad he’s been he’s still worth round about that if you want to be harsh.

Morelos is never going to be fit, consistent or professional enough to match Colak’s goals domestically and for all the talk of Morelos in europe, it’s Colak who got us CL.

We should probably try and sign Tillman and get Morelos to extend, even if it's to get money for him down the line (maybe Kent too).

The other ones I'm not too fussed about leaving. They're either not good enough or have checked out ages ago.

Kent from a financial view needs to be the number one priority, £7m is too much to make nothing back on and despite how bad he’s been he’s still worth round about that if you want to be harsh.

Morelos is never going to be fit, consistent or professional enough to match Colak’s goals domestically and for all the talk of Morelos in europe, it’s Colak who got us CL.
We should not be offering wages equivalent to a 7million pound player for someone performing like a 3 million pound player.

His form is terrible and has been for some time. He's not going to accept a drop in wages and we shouldn't be over paying for someone based on previous form.
I don't see any outcome other than him leaving, potentially in January if his form doesn't improve.

We should probably try and sign Tillman and get Morelos to extend, even if it's to get money for him down the line (maybe Kent too).

The other ones I'm not too fussed about leaving. They're either not good enough or have checked out ages ago.

'Planning' is a dirty word on here nowadays but if you take as step back it does look like we are aiming to have a squad, starting 11, in the next year or so, and as long as the players develop as hoped of roughly -

New GK - Tav/Devine Goldson Davies/King Yilmaz - Lundstrum/McCann/Sands Jack/Kamara Tillman/Lawrence - Matondo/ Kent Morelos/Colak Hagi/Wright etc

Players will be added and some will leave but the basis of a squad in the next year or so is there.

Move on from some of those players they have not done enough at us or are a bit too old now.

We are carrying players now who do not want to play for Rangers, get the out-of-contracts moved out in January if we can get them clubs at least that way we may recoup some money on them but cannot see it being much.

Signing Tillman should be a priority; I would also keep Sands.

Kent & Morelos are a tricky one.. I’d be happy to sell Kent - not son keen on him just walking off for free though.
Morelos.. you really need to extend his deal but I’m sure we’ve been trying. I have a sinking feeling that it might not end well for him at Rangers.

The goalkeeper situation is a clusterfuck. We have 4 goalkeepers.. 3 are out of contract at the end of the season and the other one has had a severe drop in form over the last month.

Brutal decision time… Helander and Jack can both go with our thanks. Neither is physically able for a Scottish league season - we need to replace them.

Next summer is going to be very challenging.

With great turnover and heightened profile we have went backwards as a team and just to maintain the same team as this season minus Kent, Morelos etc is going to cost us approaching £10m.

We will still have the rest of those mentioned above to replace as well as right wing and centre midfield positions we opted not to strengthen this year

Tillman is an excellent player he is just suffering like the rest of the team just now, a good manager could make him brilliant.

To be honest I probably jumped the gun a bit, just presumed he supports them as my mate has met him at a couple of their games!

That said, even at the age of 74 he’s far too good to be playing in the Northern Irish league, but could see him playing there for a year or two before retiring.
More likely he'll go to a club in Scotland and do coaching and playing occasionally.

Id sign Tillman and resign Devine.

The rest Id let go.

Rangers need a massive clear out and those listed are either too old or too injured to be of use going forward.

Shocker if Kent is allowed to go for a loss, break even at Jan is looking good now.
Financially I would say its worth stumping up a bumper deal for him even given current form at least we can sell on 1-2 years however I have a feeling the issue lies with the player not signing...should have wrapped this up before everyone started phoning it in domestically once 55 was sealed.

Sign Tillman
Leaning towards sign Sands, but still undecided
Sign Alfie and Kent if possible
Sign Devine
Sign McCrorie

Rest can leave
Sands I’d keep. I think with him having to play CD just now, it’ll make him understand the position and what needs done to protect it, so when he is back playing in midfield, hopefully he’ll be one step ahead.

Back