The 1963 Scottish Cup Final versus the Peasants

I never knew that the last time we played them in a Scottish Cup Final before 1963 was 35 years earlier in 1928 ? o_O

Here's the 1963 film footage, which ended 1-1.

We cuffed them 3-0 in the replay. :D

Love this, my dad used to to talk about these games

The replay was when the “easy easy” chant was heard for the first time. Started in old North Enclosure and went round Rangers end to Main Stand. Not many people know that, fewer remember
There was also thousands of bears in the ce***c end.was very noticeable when they all fked off with half an hour to go

The replay was when the “easy easy” chant was heard for the first time. Started in old North Enclosure and went round Rangers end to Main Stand. Not many people know that, fewer remember

Hampden was so big that you could hear the chants working their way around the terraces until everyone was doing it.

I remember that match but wasn't there. I was 8 at the time.

I was only 4 then, so obviously wasn't there, but I"ve heard this story. Scot Symon tore into Bobby Shearer after the match accusing him and the team of "humiliating" their opponents by toying with them and that it would never happen again as long as he was manager. Rangers could have gained revenge for the League Cup final six years previously, but Slim Jim preferred to rip the pish out of them. If only we'd seized the moment, what an opportunity squandered.

I never knew that the last time we played them in a Scottish Cup Final before 1963 was 35 years earlier in 1928 ? o_O

Here's the 1963 film footage, which ended 1-1.

We cuffed them 3-0 in the replay. :D

Wags 1963 style.

One in the middle not too shabby.

I was only 4 then, so obviously wasn't there, but I"ve heard this story. Scot Symon tore into Bobby Shearer after the match accusing him and the team of "humiliating" their opponents by toying with them and that it would never happen again as long as he was manager. Rangers could have gained revenge for the League Cup final six years previously, but Slim Jim preferred to rip the pish out of them. If only we'd seized the moment, what an opportunity squandered.

Spot on mate. I’ve been saying that for 50 years. Slim could have wiped out their 7 - 1 easily. Most annoying

I'd love to have been about to watch the Rangers from 45-65, Scottish football on a whole was going through it's greatest spell.

That first game was when Haffey stood on his head to save them for an absolute drubbing and on the strength of that game, he played for Scotland in the 9-3 hammering from England.

Right prevailed in the replay however.

the replay was my old man"s favourite game, probably not alone in that i would imagine, but he loved to reminisce about that night, really put that shower in their place that night he would say,they had no answer to us,,they couldn't get near us ,

The replay was my old dad's favourite cup final and his least favourite!

Loved destroying the enemy, toying with them and outclassing them.
But hated not scoring more and not avenging the horrors of the last final we played them.

At both games.

Records say 120,000 at both games, I would say far more at the replay, certainly the Rangers end.

That first game was when Haffey stood on his head to save them for an absolute drubbing and on the strength of that game, he played for Scotland in the 9-3 hammering from England.

Right prevailed in the replay however.
9-3 was in 1961. In 63 Slim Jim ran the show and scored twice.

The semi final v Dundee Utd was my first ever Rangers game. Visiting the grandparents for the Easter holidays, back home in England when it came to the final though.

I was taken to Ibrox the Saturday after this win, for the first tome. I am sure we played Motherwell and the team ran round the pitch with the trophy. I have the cut out of the forward line from the Saturday newspaper. Henderson, McMillan, Millar, Brand and Wilson. I will be forever grateful for the memory. We truly are the people. I have a wee lump in my throat, writing this. Please enjoy my sentimental drivel.

I was 4 years old at the time and lived near Hampden.
Unfortunately I had no interest in football whatsoever and was probably watching Fireball XL5 when the match was being played.

Remember it well, the Scum end emptying to reveal hundreds of Bears in their end.it was magic back then.if only we could get that
magic back again.

I know why there were so many Rangers fans in the Celtic end. Tickets for the Rangers end were snapped up very quickly as were those for the Rangers side of the North Enclosure. Because of the extension at the top of the Celtic end terracing Rangers got another slice of the North Enclosure but that still didn't satisfy demand. A teacher at my school in Bridgeton was a committee member at Queens Park and he provided tickets for anyone who wanted them but all he had left were for the Celtic end. The police got wind of it and ushered Rangers fans to the section immediately beside the North Enclosure. When the teams emerged it was amazing to see such a large section of blue in that end.

I remember Rangers really playing with only 10 men in the first game as George McLean was badly injured for a large part of the game and was a virtual passenger. Willie Henderson ran riot setting up chance after chance but Frank Haffey had one of his crazy days and kept everything out. The replay was a dawdle. It was best described by a family friend who was very well-connected at Celtic in this way - ' We never even had an Ooohhh!'

In his autobiography, Baxter told of being in a card game till the early hours of Wednesday morning winning a right few quid. Thousands if I recall,few hours sleep then up for the replay.

I was at the replay, 10 years old, travelled in a minibus from Netherthird, Cumnock. First game I can remember going to but I had been at one previously. If memory serves, I was in the schoolboy enclosure under the main stand. It was mixed and I can remember a big guy next to me shouting “Monasellick” and being a wee Ayrshire guy I couldn’t make out what he was saying.

Back