mdingwall

Administrator
q7fYYHL.jpg

DbsBSkD.jpg

nZnLE8p.jpg

FlqAJBG.jpg

3slcSpV.jpg

PkywBMA.jpg

Was at the game left at final whistle didn't know it happened. Sitting in the pub discussing the game guys coming in saying there was a riot watched it later on the tv.

In the north enclosure that day.
They had more of the small stand above us and the bottles came flying down after the final whistle.

In the north enclosure that day.
They had more of the small stand above us and the bottles came flying down after the final whistle.
Don’t remember that. I was at the fence on the half way line and as soon as the final whistle went their lot got bricked and bottled and within seconds they were all forced back to the fence at the actual Celtic end.
Edit..... you can actually see this in the first picture at the top of the thread.

I was there it was over exaggerated
Would have been a lot worse if the majority of Bears hadn't left the ground when it kicked off.
I was in the big enclosure when a few of the poets ran up the park towards our end to taunt the Bears and the Bears didn,t take it at all well and decided to teach them a lesson,Plod were just as pathetic stopping the poets coming over the fence and making their way up the park as they were with the Hivs fans.

Last edited:
Don’t remember that. I was at the fence on the half way line and as soon as the final whistle went their lot got bricked and bottled and within seconds they were all forced back to the fence at the actual Celtic end.
Edit..... you can actually see this in the first picture at the top of the thread.
What I remember was the bottles coming from the old north stand above us, not from their side of the north enclosure. They had more supporters in the stand which meant they were above us on our side of the north enclosure.

Only a young lad back then ( 21 ) and one of the very few times i ended up on the park,the other time was at Villa Park :cool:

And how they scum ba stards ran...

Correct they broke protocol by coming into our half with the trophy and taunted us.
In those days NOBODY taunted us with impunity

Not backing the mentally challengeds up but they didn't come into our half with the trophy. They ran to the track at their end after the final whistle which encouraged the brain dead among their support to come over the fence and on to the pitch. Some of them then made for us waving rags (yes rags) and kicked a ball into the net at our end. . This is what prompted our support to enter the field of play and 'appeal to them' to go back to whence they came:)

Would have been a lot worse if the majority of Bears hadn't left the ground when it kicked off.
I was in the big enclosure when a few of the poets ran up the park towards our end to taunt the Bears and the Bears didn,t take it at all well and decided to teach them a lesson,Plod were just as pathetic stopping the poets coming over the fence and making their way up the park as they were with the Hivs fans.
That's exactly how I remember it too... They definitely started it... If most of the Rangers fans hadn't left the ground, they would never have come over to that end to do what they did. When Rangers fans started coming over the fence, they ran for their lives, they didn't expect it.

I was there it was over exaggerated
Doubt that very much.

I'm currently reading Archie McPherson's book about it "More Than A Game" - some of the detail in there is horrific. He's not biased in one way or another - just says what he and others saw. The most harrowing bit is the reporter who had his head caved in by a thrown pomagne bottle - he could have died.

The best laugh (if you can call it that) was the famous policewoman on the white horse who "charged" into the fans. Even by her own account she didn't mean it - the horse got hit on the arse by a thrown toilet roll and bolted B-) Still fair play to her for helping sort it all out!

A shameful episode caused by massive underpolicing and too much booze.

I was there to the bitter end and there was no exaggeration.

As others have said the Bears had mostly left or were leaving or there would have been carnage.

Sir Patrick Hamill, Chief Constable at the time, (who said kaffliks couldn't get the high ranks) had, allegedly, come to the conclusion Old Firm games had quietened down a bit, aggro wise, and had reduced the no of polis on duty on the day, hence the ease with which both sets of fans got on the pitch.

The wee creature that ran the length of the park to rattle a ball into the net at the Rangers' end has a lot to answer for.

I left at the final whistle and heard police sirens/ambulances as we walked back towards town. Thing is, back then there was also the fall-out when supporter's buses went back to their destinations and piled into bars post match. The 210 arrests would have been in and around Hampden. There would have been more that night that were probably not included in the total. mentally challengeds started it...we finished it.

P.S. Was in my late teens back then and bought one of those 'X5's' shown in the OP, utter pish! Eventually joined a gym...my name is NOT Colin Mackenzie. Sorry.;)

That's exactly how I remember it too... They definitely started it... If most of the Rangers fans hadn't left the ground, they would never have come over to that end to do what they did. When Rangers fans started coming over the fence, they ran for their lives, they didn't expect it.
We left when the horses came on and when we were making our way to the train back into town most of the Bears we were talking to knew nothing about it,Seriously 60% of Bears had left even most of the guys we stood with during the game.

Sorry but there must be some guys not seen many fights in their lifetimes..I have and I can assure you there was a couple of punches thrown yes a pitch invasion occurred but there was more violence at the hivs cup final and ten times as much on the park,go figure that one.

Second picture the guy with the blood on his coupon is a mate of mine and a well known poster on here. Was there that day and left at the final whistle knew nothing about it until I spoke to the missus on the phone from the city centre.

I was also there, that day and something keeps coming into my head regarding balloons, (NAW A MEEN THE REAL BLOW UP KIND) did the scums wains not release the ones from that end before kick off?? And then our young bears retaliated by doing likewise with our Red white and blue ones too huge roars and cheers of appreciation,!!? Anyone confirm this or am I getting confused because of my age.

I remember the scenes outside the North Stand. There must have been hundreds of Rangers fans steaming into the filth.

Yip was a you dated in the north enclosure tbT day as well
Was a young bear cub in the north enclosure that day to , and I'm sure there was no bottles raining down on us from the wee stand above

Sorry but there must be some guys not seen many fights in their lifetimes..I have and I can assure you there was a couple of punches thrown yes a pitch invasion occurred but there was more violence at the hivs cup final and ten times as much on the park,go figure that one.
Wasn't punches that caused the problems it was the bottles. Either that or a whole load of people including police, doctors and nurses are all lying.

Wasn't punches that caused the problems it was the bottles. Either that or a whole load of people including police, doctors and nurses are all lying.
Can remember Celtic’s Chairman at the time : Desmond White, claiming Rangers were to blame ‘Celtic had Catholics & Protestants playing together on the same side : Rangers ‘signing policy’ caused the bad atmosphere which allowed this to happen’

We were in our usual Section J spot.

As others have said, that lot jumping the fence and coming down to our end to kick a ball into the net is what kicked it off.

As soon as we came on the pitch they shat it totally and we battered them all the way back up to their own end.

All over Hampden, we chased you all over Hampden.

Doubt that very much.

I'm currently reading Archie McPherson's book about it "More Than A Game" - some of the detail in there is horrific. He's not biased in one way or another - just says what he and others saw. The most harrowing bit is the reporter who had his head caved in by a thrown pomagne bottle - he could have died.

The best laugh (if you can call it that) was the famous policewoman on the white horse who "charged" into the fans. Even by her own account she didn't mean it - the horse got hit on the arse by a thrown toilet roll and bolted B-) Still fair play to her for helping sort it all out!

A shameful episode caused by massive underpolicing and too much booze.
Shameful episode? No it wasnt, was a great day out apart from the result.

It was kicking off in Glasgow before the game.

We left straight after the whistle. Never knew anything about the fighting on the pitch till we got home.

Back