The 3 Stages Of Dave King – Investor... Saviour... Irrelevant

Dave King has my admiration and gratitude for saving us from Green and the other sharks.

However - where was he and the current investors when Duff and Duffer were hawking our club for a song ? Also I think he has badly misjudged Club 1872 , though he is not alone in that !

Both he and our Chairman are Bears , lets remember !

DK must be hacked off at the feeble relaunch of C1872 - one meeting then tumbleweed. Will take them decades to buy his shares at this rate.

Dave King and Donald Park are 2 self made, big, influential businessmen. You don't get to that level by being nice and everyone's friend. Both will have egos and used to getting their own way.
They appear to believe in different issues but overall they are Rangers men.
Maybe one is trying to protect or get reimbursement of their investment. Who can blame him?
Whereas the other seems content, at the moment, to subsidise the club.
These situations can change so it would be foolish to judge or damn.

Fu.ck me irrelevant ! Pour millions of pounds of your own money in and get called irrelevant, Dave King may make decisions that some will not agree with but will never be irrelevant and should receive our thanks forever more as should Donald Park and the guys.

Perhaps Dave King is not happy with how the club is being run from a financial perspective.

Maybe he is not happy with things such as the wage bill being too high and we seem to be getting a relatively very low figure for merchandise sales compared to celtic.

Even taking into account Covid etc. with the losses Rangers have racked up in recent years it is hard to argue that the club is being financially well run.
Rangers are skint… you no been paying attention

Dave King has my admiration and gratitude for saving us from Green and the other sharks.

However - where was he and the current investors when Duff and Duffer were hawking our club for a song ? Also I think he has badly misjudged Club 1872 , though he is not alone in that !

For the last time nobody else was ever going to be allowed near the club in 2012. We were targeted and it was all planned out.

How in 2021 can we still have fans not understanding this.

Not to mention a playing squad with infinitely more quality and depth than their's.

We've got 18 full internationalists, plus Tavernier, Goldson and Kent.

Different gravy mate.
Yet we haven’t yet fetched the type of money they continually get for players.

Miles behind us last season yet they still had teams wanting their players for big money

It's really quite simple.

Dave King first time around was great for Rangers.
King second time around played an absolutely pivotal role in saving Rangers; for that, I'm eternally grateful.

However, King's actions since stepping down haven't been in the club's best interests; that's his decision and, of course, his right.

I'd rather concentrate on the great work the likes of Douglas Park, John Bennett (and all of the other investors) are doing for the good of the club.

I wish King was still involved in a meaningful capacity for the good of the club, but he's not.
King is, therefore, yesterday's news.
Park is the man spending his considerable time, effort, and money on helping to deliver us a successful Rangers.

I don't want to go off on a tangent too much – but, frankly, I find it both ridiculous and disgraceful that Park is being criticised in other threads.
My increasing concern is the influence DK still may have via the guise of C1872.
C1872 buy the shares, but then C1872 introduce DK as an Exec.

I'm not sure that this makes a strong relationship.

To note, complete speculation on my part, but the C1872 'members meeting' (NOT an AGM) mooted this very question

Miles behind us last season yet they still had teams wanting their players for big money

I think that may change this summer.
I can see us selling a couple of players, as Gio puts his own stamp on the team.

Last edited by a moderator:
The drip feed against King on here takes me back to the I know something you don’t know days from 2011 until we were saved by him.

How long until we find out the real problem, if ever?

Maybe it was the same before then but I didn’t care as I assumed whoever was in charge would ultimately do right by the club.

There is a belief that he is going back to his old ways of using/feeding third parties information, so that they will be the public face ie, Houston and Graham.

As a shareholder I wish he would just be out right honest with his issues with the board and that we know what he knows.
Dave King has now twice had to make public statements regarding financial matters between himself and the club as a direct result of information being fed to the public eye criticising him. There are a few fairly obvious placemen on boards such as this who are clearly and not very subtly putting forward the info the current board want us to hear, a good amount of it aimed squarely at King. Pulling him up for clearly and very obviously using his own people to do the same thing seems more than a little off.

There is clearly a wee war being waged behind the scenes and anyone taking any side on it really needs to be fully aware of things the rest of us are not, or run the risk of doing the bidding of people not acting in good faith.

King has, or at least should have, enough goodwill in the bank for the courtesy of people at least paying attention when he speaks. At the very least he should be given the respect of not having his motives reduced to ‘trying to make more money’ when he states he has reservations about the way we are being run.

What I want to know is, what seems to be the problem with Graeme Park? His name crops up a lot, and there seems to be this little conflict between him and King.

If King has had his money back, with interest, and he is selling his shares over a period of time, what is his problem? He wanted a clean break from the club, he bloody well got it. Yes, he did a great thing for us and the support will be eternally grateful, but he can’t hold that over us forever.

For the time being, Douglas Park is our chairman and the firgurehead at the club. His money and those of his investors and friends are helping the club now, and he can do as he pleases as far as I’m concerned, King is in the past.

There’s always some sort of drama, isn’t there? We can’t just have a good time and some success without someone wanting to derail it.
I was really surprised he stood down when he did and I'd much rather have him in the tent spitting out than in. If I remember rightly his own businesses in SA were coming under pressure and that was the reason he stood down. Can't understand the side show. I'll be grateful for all he's done to save the Club,but I wish he'd just let the guys get on with it.

I don’t see why we have to pick a side on this. King played a huge part in saving the club and the Parks are doing a good rebuilding the club.

To my mind he is selling his shares to Club1872 and will then have an influence over them, as he does now no matter how much they deny it.

Club1872 will become a Dave King proxy whilst he gets a chunk of his money back.

The seeds of this can be seen in his steadfast resolution to merge the fan groups Rangers First etc way back.

He has my eternal and genuine gratitude for what he did for our club. I don't like what I think I'm seeing now, the hijack of a fan shareholding vehicle. I may be wrong.

To my mind he is selling his shares to Club1872 and will then have an influence over them, as he does now no matter how much they deny it.

Club1872 will become a Dave King proxy whilst he gets a chunk of his money back.

The seeds of this can be seen in his steadfast resolution to merge the fan groups Rangers First etc way back.

He has my eternal and genuine gratitude for what he did for our club. I don't like what I think I'm seeing now, the hijack of a fan shareholding vehicle. I may be wrong.
If this is the case and what he wants he should put himself forward for C1872. A lot more people would’ve been happier with that than the current set up anyway.

The reason this does not stack up in the longer term is that if C1872 is asked to vote on Rangers resolutions as a block, Dave King will have exactly the same input to the way the votes go as you or me. 1 vote. Them having his shares does increase the percentage holding, but it is a members org and, when run correctly, it would be impossible for an individual to ‘use’ it at all. The only way King could wield influence through c1872 would be if they voted on Rangers matters without polling the membership, or if they fabricated poll results.

1) I find it a bit odd that people take sides on this when we see about 5% of what actually happens/matters

2) That said, I know what King did and I’m eternally grateful for it.

3) So far, Park has put money in and I’m grateful for it

4) So far, Park has been unable to return the club to sustainability despite multiple promises to do so.

5) Just because your dad is a great businessman, doesn’t mean you are. Graeme is not Douglas. The only thing we actually know about Graeme Park is that he had a major role in one of the worst managerial appointments of all time, an appointment that showed absolutely no adherence to any process.

There's a few reasons for this though.

First, they had won every trophy the years before last season.

2nd, they don't get the full figures the media say.

Also the shear positive promotion there club and players get in the media. In modern times it makes a huge difference, no matter what some on here say.

Today for example, we're playing, we're the champions, we're top of the table but sky were coming live from celtics training ground.

The reason this does not stack up in the longer term is that if C1872 is asked to vote on Rangers resolutions as a block, Dave King will have exactly the same input to the way the votes go as you or me. 1 vote. Them having his shares does increase the percentage holding, but it is a members org and, when run correctly, it would be impossible for an individual to ‘use’ it at all. The only way King could wield influence through c1872 would be if they voted on Rangers matters without polling the membership, or if they fabricated poll results.
"When run correctly" being the key phrase.

4) So far, Park has been unable to return the club to sustainability despite multiple promises to do so.

What kind of timeline were you expecting on this?

The Club could have taken the non-footballing decision to sell players. We didn't. A deliberate policy to accelerate success on the field. And now we're criticising it...?

King should just take his shares and sell them in small parcels to supporters and other investors in as many increments as it tales for him to sell what he needs to.

But for the purposes of today and tomorrow, he is irrelevant. He has no material influence or input into running the club.

Very few would play down his input up until recent times. And I’d seriously question those few and their agenda
Would you call bill struth, jock Wallace, Walter smith irrelevant?
Think it’s pretty disrespectful to the guy who basically saved the club from where it was and also lost a tonne of his cash first time round.

Aye the guy who saved us from extinction is irrelevant...

Sometimes we get the support we deserve
But he isn’t the guy who saved him from extinction though, is he? What Dave done, and I will forever be grateful for his part, was put himself front and centre while the others involved - George Letham, Douglas Park & George Taylor - went about their business quietly.

Dave likes the sound of his own voice and isn’t coping well with it not being heard. We are in excellent hands with the Chairman, ALL board members and the other investors. The level of disrespect being shown towards some of them is, frankly, staggering.

I see @Lord Summerisle ’s angle, I would perhaps use different language but one thing that’s for sure is that Dave King is yesterday’s man.

But for the purposes of today and tomorrow, he is irrelevant. He has no material influence or input into running the club.

Very few would play down his input up until recent times. And I’d seriously question those few and their agenda
Not so sure mate. He is a constant reminder of how much effort and personal sacrifice it takes to get a club back from the mess it was in. Everton saw etched in his face and his battles with Ashley what may be required if we/board let it go to pot again. We might not be so lucky if we find ourselves in the same boat again. Can’t be a saviour and be irrelevant.

He has done a lot of amazing things for the club and we as a support should be forever grateful but let’s be honest if someone like Dave king was to try and get power at Ibrox now we would be protesting as he is about as dodgy as they come. It’s time for everybody to move on
Why is he as dodgy as they come? You sound like you belong to a different forum with that pish.

"When run correctly" being the key phrase.
So, presumably, you would agree that a wealthy and astute operator could come up with a better plan to ‘control’ the club with his shares than reducing his input to a single vote within a group that is designed in a way as to preclude him being able to exert influence?

It is a nonsense, frankly.

It's really quite simple.

Dave King first time around was great for Rangers.
King second time around played an absolutely pivotal role in saving Rangers; for that, I'm eternally grateful.

However, King's actions since stepping down haven't been in the club's best interests; that's his decision and, of course, his right.

I'd rather concentrate on the great work the likes of Douglas Park, John Bennett (and all of the other investors) are doing for the good of the club.

I wish King was still involved in a meaningful capacity for the good of the club, but he's not.
King is, therefore, yesterday's news.
Park is the man spending his considerable time, effort, and money on helping to deliver us a successful Rangers.

I don't want to go off on a tangent too much – but, frankly, I find it both ridiculous and disgraceful that Park is being criticised in other threads.
You posted the exact same thing in another thread, then, a few minutes later, you used that post to open this new thread.

Frankly, I find it both ridiculous and disgraceful that Dave King is being criticised in this and other threads

What kind of timeline were you expecting on this?

The Club could have taken the non-footballing decision to sell players. We didn't. A deliberate policy to accelerate success on the field. And now we're criticising it...?
I was expecting it to be delivered in the timeline promised. It wasn’t.

Dave King rescued us from the claws of the Spivs who were only interested in themselves and didnt give two fucks for the club other than what they could get out of us. The man deserves a statue IMO.

Would you call bill struth, jock Wallace, Walter smith irrelevant?
Think it’s pretty disrespectful to the guy who basically saved the club from where it was and also lost a tonne of his cash first time round.
Of course not.

I clearly mean about we are trying to achieve now. He has given us a platform. But that has been done and we thank him. But the current custodians are more relevant

He tried to buy the club in 2011.

1) I find it a bit odd that people take sides on this when we see about 5% of what actually happens/matters

5) Just because your dad is a great businessman, doesn’t mean you are. Graeme is not Douglas. The only thing we actually know about Graeme Park is that he had a major role in one of the worst managerial appointments of all time, an appointment that showed absolutely no adherence to any process.
I would prefer Graeme Park was not on the board.
The family of a successful businessman/ woman very rarely have the the same attributes as the founder.

On your point 5, I would say in his defence that the footballing department wasn’t anywhere near where it should have been, either governance wise or competency wise.

You could say it was a novice like decision. The footballing department now is night and day compared to what it was back then.

Regardless of the financial aspect of the club, we are in a very good position in all areas.

I would prefer Graeme Park was not on the board.
The family of a successful businessman/ woman very rarely have the the same attributes as the founder.

If the rumours are true the only way that Graeme Park survived staying on the board is that he voluntarily paid £1,000,000 of his own money to pay off Pedro Caixinha and his back room staff, maybe a load of rubbish but a few fans in the members lounge have said this.

Last edited:
Back