The A to Z of Peter McCloy

mdingwall

Administrator
Peter-Mc-Cloy-A-to-Z-IMG-3130.jpg

Met him in his sports shop in Girvan 1974. Really nice bloke. A customer came in, picked a football off the shelf and threw it to him while he was talking with us, he dropped it :eek:

Rangers: You played 644, kept 247 clean sheets and won 11 trophies, including two trebles and the Cup Winners Cup.
It would have been nice to have won MORE! But I always look back very fondly. I always get get a nice welcome from everyone when I go back. That means a lot.

This shows Peter is the answer to the most under appreciated Rangers player ever - Including by me if I'm being honest.

He's wrongly remembered more for "gaffs" than the service he did provide our club.

A true Rangers legend.

It's a very elite club, players with more than 500 Rangers appearances.

Not only is Peter McCloy in it, he is without doubt the least respected. Which is really unfair.

I remember the save from the Jardine miskick in 1972 he mentions, that really was a big moment not just in the game but in Rangers history.

I attended hundred of Peters games. Apart from the swinging on the crossbar I don't recall that many errors. A bit slow getting down to a low shot but I was always confident enough with him in goals. That must have been a phucker of a commute getting up and down from Girvan before the 77.

I attended hundred of Peters games. Apart from the swinging on the crossbar I don't recall that many errors. A bit slow getting down to a low shot but I was always confident enough with him in goals. That must have been a phucker of a commute getting up and down from Girvan before the 77.
I must disagree. I watched most of his games throughout his time with us, and I thought that he was badly at fault for numerous goals throughout that time.

I remember a shocking error for Spurs to score in a friendly on a Sunday at Ibrox in the mid 80's.
but he had many great games for us and will always be one of the greats.

The Gas Meter was an easy target when he made an error. He was a magnificent servant for the club and had more come backs than any other Rangers goalkeeper.

I must disagree. I watched most of his games throughout his time with us, and I thought that he was badly at fault for numerous goals throughout that time.
His volume of games plus medals haul makes him worthy of respect, but in truth he just was'nt very good. I would'nt place him in the top 5 keepers I've seen at Ibrox.

He had his ups and downs with us. He certainly launched some amazing clearances at the Nou Camp, most of them landed on the opposition's 18 yard box and of course one leading to a famous goal. He was a good keeper rather than a great one.

He is a Rangers legend. End of.

He may not be in the "greatest ever" teams, but he is a legend of our club.

I saw him play once. Walter Smith's first game in charge (while Souness was finishing off at Sampdoria). A 2-1 defeat at St Mirren. Ally Dawson scored for us.

IIRC, there was a nice story about him last year around Ricksen's funeral. Where someone was there who should have been at PE. Peter gave the boy a note for his teacher - who was Peter's son.

Porto last minute fumble in Uefa cup at the broomie end

Sc tie v st Johnstone at Muirton - Redford equaliser last minute

Always thought he should have saved fannies deflected shot that hit McClusky in SC final the riot game

Valencia at home in the first half - fuk me

Best game - Fortuna Düsseldorf away in UEFA cup

Valencia away UEFA cup

Juventus away European cup

Maybe its because we have had woods, goram, klos, mcgregor and others post souness that he s overlooked a little.
But still a good goalie and servent when the money wasnt great.

Peter wasn't the greatest keeper in the world he was Scottish and back then Scottish keepers were the butt of jokes.
He was competent though, saved well but dropped a few clangers as well.

I was somehow delighted when he was kept on during the Souness revolution when Chris Woods arrived (a massive signing), big Peter was a genuine legend of a man at that time and although I was glad Woods was brought in, it was nice that the gas metre still had enough respect to retain his position within the club.

His kicks up the park were met with anticipation of a goal, that was his style and he had many 'assists' during his career. Who needs a midfield when you've got Peter McCloy?

Grew up with him between the sticks who was then replaced by the lad that should have stuck to the family shortbred ) Seriously think history unkind to him at times as from 1986 when we singed the then England keeper we became spoiled with some world class keepers

Reactions: TNT
There was a thread not too long ago that digressed into a discussion about McCloy and it wasn’t all nice or appreciative posts about him either.
I thought, given his service and success, this was a bit of a shame.
I wouldn’t have listed him in my top five keepers either but he was deserving of much more respect.

The keeper I remember most following The Gers as a boy. Didn't do too badly.

Have met him a couple of times and as many say an absolute gent.

He was still in goal when i started going in early 80s as a 5 year old. its maybe just because i was so young, but i always thought he was going to launch the ball out the stadium when he kicked from hands.
my first disappointments as a fan were when certain guys started dropping out the team. McCloy, John mclelland and Bobby russell. They were there when I first went and then, they were gone.
PS, Just looked up John Mclelland- he played on until finally retiring in 1997!!!!!!

There was a thread not too long ago that digressed into a discussion about McCloy and it wasn’t all nice or appreciative posts about him either.
I wouldn’t have listed him in my top five keepers either but he was deserving of much more respect.
Think, in modern times we got spoiled with keepers, so McCloy is overlooked.
If I remember correct, he started losing his spot to Nicky walker. Then we started with Woods, Goram,Klos then we had an unsettled position for a bit until Mcgregor made it his own.(first time round)

A terrific servant to the Club. What other Rangers keeper can say he played and won a European medal for the Club? Not forgetting his assist in what turned out to be the winning goal in the final.
Add to that he is a very down to earth and nice guy too.
Thanks for the memories Peter.

His ability seems to be overlooked or questioned, and granted I only really saw him in the flesh from the late70's/early 80's so won't be best positioned to comment.

However, given his length of service, the competition he faced and trophies won he should always be classed as a legend of our club.

And, not that I've met him, everyone say he is thoroughly decent fella.

I remember a 14 year old me going over to the albion to catch some autographs when the English invasion happened and said to big Peter, "So you don't feel out it, can I get your autograph Peter ?"

The look he gave me, I honestly feared for my life then he replied, "listen Son, I'll never feel out it".

I got my autograph but looking back and now that I'm wiser, I deserved a shoe up the jaxey from him.

Big Peter was a very good goalie. My favourite memory of him was a game at Easter Road. We had gone a goal down but fought back to go 2-1 in front. Hibs hammered us for most of the second half, then in the dying moments a cross came into the box and a Hibs player got his head to it, it looked to have gone over Big Peter's head and was heading for the net, but somehow Peter managed to turn it over the bar. It was as good a save as any Rangers goalie has ever made.

Back