The Advocaat Years - Heart & Hand's Latest Podcast Venture

The subscription service seems like value for money with the amount of content available but I don't think I would have time to listen to it all with the other podcasts I subscribe to.

Possibly not staunch enough....though I've been a listener since day 1

I wondered whether I'd find time too but I've basically binned off The Guardian Football Weekly and the Judean People's Front version of it with AC Jimbo as they're both poor now.

This is a far better listen given I only really care about Rangers anyway and listening to the likes of those shows was simply to keep in touch with other leagues.

I'd far rather content on us than listening to Glendenning

It is very interesting to think on what Taki says above re Murray....97-2001. He really did f*** over all our investors didn't he? He burned all his bridges. Looking back that saw us friendless, second best to MON and with £76m of debt...which was NEVER sorted and has led directly to where we are today.

but mind, "If the fans had been in control, we'd have been £176m in debt" ©Hitchcock

but mind, "If the fans had been in control, we'd have been £176m in debt" ©Hitchcock

That AGM was a horrible nadir...I left knowing we were f***ed. I always knew but had hoped they had a plan...that day I knew there was no real plan.

Kudos to young comrade ****** ****** who drove Hitchcock to his outburst.

It is very interesting to think on what Taki says above re Murray....97-2001. He really did f*** over all our investors didn't he? He burned all his bridges. Looking back that saw us friendless, second best to MON and with £76m of debt...which was NEVER sorted and has led directly to where we are today.

This is pretty much correct. It was reported at the time that ENIC had stipulated an overdraft limit of £5m. After most of their investment had been used to clear debts, this naturally exploded from 1997 onwards.

The ENIC deal made Murray think he could always find gull- erm, willing investors to fund his largesse. It should have been a platform for the club but instead it became the means by which Murray accelerated his, erm, 'ambition' for the club in disastrous ways.

Needless to say, he also soaked the fans dry in this period. Murray was never happier than when spending other people's money.

I did Ready For The Future. It was a time of economic cockiness.

Ready For The Future encapsulated the club's cautious cultural retreat in slogan form - 'Aye Ready' to 'Ready' to 'We're Ready If You're Ready?'

Reactions: SDF

Ready For The Future encapsulated the club's cautious cultural retreat in slogan form - 'Aye Ready' to 'Ready' to 'We're Ready If You're Ready?'

To '...give us your money you bigoted troglodytes' as it was finally settled upon by the board.

To '...give us your money you bigoted troglodytes' as it was finally settled upon by the board.

'Ready To Get Ready Should The Need Arise But We Don't Want To Offend Anyone.'

I still have my Ready For The Future certificate signed by David Edward Murray himself ('my word is my bond') guaranteeing my 'right' to buy a seat for 25 years - a 'right' extended to anyone who wanted to a buy a seat and running until the club can sell no more seats. He really was the Franklin Mint Commemorative Plates of Scottish football.

I might take it to his bunker in Edinburgh in a couple of years and hit him with it.

It's been a great listen even though the chat of the failed 10IAR makes my guts ache. We utterly utterly blew it against a very very average Celtic side.

Does anyone remember a game at Killie where Advocaat was in the stand?

(I've not heard the last 10 minutes of the pod so apologies if it comes up but I think they're just at the point of listing the players we signed now so doubt it will)

I'm certain he was there and between them Goram and Bjorklund made a complete arse of a clearance (think Maxwell and McPherson in the 1994 cup final) and Killie scored from it.

We drew 1-1 and Thern scored

I always wondered if it was at that point that Wee Dick stuck the two of them on his "they can go" list?

Was he in the stand that night or have I remembered it wrong and it was just that he'd been announced around that time and would have been watching the game with interest

We lost the league to a side with Harold Brattbak up front - let that sink in!

I remember us losing a grim game at Motherwell in the run-in. Bog of a pitch. 1-2, I think McCoist scored our goal.

One day we might even laugh at 10IAR season...it was so bad. An old team, regularly getting blootered, with no firm direction, stumbling to bad result after bad result when faced with an easy goal and more than enough tools to do the job.

Btw the idea floated in the Patreon comments of a Shat at Glary run through must be done. Remember the press (back when we had some journos) touting McCoist as the next big Hollywood star! Only problem is we’d all have to buy said turd on e-bay.

With the amount of content, please don’t feel bad if you don’t listen to it all! I subscribe to a couple of pods but miss shows all the time.

I just want to make sure people get value for their subscription.

With the amount of content, please don’t feel bad if you don’t listen to it all! I subscribe to a couple of pods but miss shows all the time.

I just want to make sure people get value for their subscription.

Delighted to see the addition of the Jeff Holmes podcast. I've a long flight with a young baby this weekend. Headphones firmly clamped on listening to all of the shows.

Just this minute finished listening to it and was absolutely brilliant!

Ive made a comment on Patreon that its amazing how much you actually forget through many years passing or literally being drunk most of the 90’s.

This is a great insight to the ins and outs,the goings on and also putting a few Wee myths to bed as well. Also who would have remembered Charlie miller played under Advocaat? Not me!

Glad I subscribed and keep up the good work lads because it’s worth every penny/dollar.

SDF getting a wee shout out as well eh :D

97-98 - we basically thought we.could phone it in as we had pretty much did for the 9 In a row season (Laudrup more or less did it on his own).

Imo Celtic actually had a better team for 8 and 9 than they did when they actually won it.

So many stupid draws with a team that was just too old

Always remember the piss take in the fanzine about that slogan

"We're rich if you're rich"

We lost the league to a side with Harold Brattbak up front - let that sink in!

I remember us losing a grim game at Motherwell in the run-in. Bog of a pitch. 1-2, I think McCoist scored our goal.

So many bad results that season - We drew with Dunfermline twice including losing the lead in injury time, lost to St Johnstone for the first time in 26 years, drew with Motherwell twice in the league and then lost to them after taking the lead, two draws against the Sheep including blowing a 2 goal lead and also losing to them, beaten by Dundee United...

All this and we had a six point start on that mob. Unforgivable

So many bad results that season - We drew with Dunfermline twice including losing the lead in injury time, lost to St Johnstone for the first time in 26 years, drew with Motherwell twice in the league and then lost to them after taking the lead, two draws against the Sheep including blowing a 2 goal lead and also losing to them, beaten by Dundee United...

A fit Amoruso and we win the league

A fit Amoruso and we win the league

Possibly but I'm not sure I'd say it for certain. There were so many different parts of the team functioning below their capabilities that I don't think he makes that much of a difference.

Our full backs were weak, our goalkeepers were dreadful and the problem was everyone lost form at different times. Albertz only bothered to get the finger our February onwards, McCoist dragged us kicking and screaming to the end but did pretty much nothing between September and March, Stensaas started well but descended into farce, ditto Negri. Laudrup had a better second half of the season than first...

We went from end of January to near enough end of march only winning once in the league and even that was an injury time hit and hope from Albertz at Easter Road.

Even after losing two of our last 4 games the mentally challengeds still tried to give it to us by dropping points on the Sunday after we'd lost to Ibrox against killie on the Saturday. Technically it wasn't in our own hands by then as defeat at Pittodrie seen to that.

The cup final just summed that season up, one down after a minute from a penalty given for a foul practically on the touch line. We hit post and generally have all the ball rest of the first half. We bring ally on at half time (I think) and hearts score a second which was another howler from Goram, who had actually came onto a game and was pretty consistent from the April onward. Ally misses a sitter from about a yard. He scores. We are denied a stonewall penalty red card/penalty when Weir halves McCoist whilst clean through on goal. Laudrup hits pish free kick into wall. Peep peep. I could greet thinking back.

Possibly but I'm not sure I'd say it for certain. There were so many different parts of the team functioning below their capabilities that I don't think he makes that much of a difference.

Our full backs were weak, our goalkeepers were dreadful and the problem was everyone lost form at different times. Albertz only bothered to get the finger our February onwards, McCoist dragged us kicking and screaming to the end but did pretty much nothing between September and March, Stensaas started well but descended into farce, ditto Negri. Laudrup had a better second half of the season than first...
Stensaas was done when he made a howler to allow Strasbourg back into the game at Ibrox. Was actually tangible watching him disappear up his own arse for the rest of his time with us.

Reactions: SDF
We went from end of January to near enough end of march only winning once in the league and even that was an injury time hit and hope from Albertz at Easter Road.

Even after losing two of our last 4 games the mentally challengeds still tried to give it to us by dropping points on the Sunday after we'd lost to Ibrox against killie on the Saturday. Technically it wasn't in our own hands by then as defeat at Pittodrie seen to that.

The cup final just summed that season up, one down after a minute from a penalty given for a foul practically on the touch line. We hit post and generally have all the ball rest of the first half. We bring ally on at half time (I think) and hearts score a second which was another howler from Goram, who had actually came onto a game and was pretty consistent from the April onward. Ally misses a sitter from about a yard. He scores. We are denied a stonewall penalty red card/penalty when Weir halves McCoist whilst clean through on goal. Laudrup hits pish free kick into wall. Peep peep. I could greet thinking back.

Yeah, we also scraped by First Division Hamilton with an injury time winner in the cup and then drew with Motherwell in the next round before a replay and the Dundee game David talks about on the pod was the absolute nadir. We hit the bar in the first 5 minutes and then nothing. Dundee were really unlucky that night.

January, February, March we were bloody awful

If you've not yet subscribed then do so as I believe next week sees release of 'Kenny Miller - legend or not'.

Oooft...will be divisive.

Yeah, we also scraped by First Division Hamilton with an injury time winner in the cup and then drew with Motherwell in the next round before a replay and the Dundee game David talks about on the pod was the absolute nadir. We hit the bar in the first 5 minutes and then nothing. Dundee were really unlucky that night.

January, February, March we were bloody awful
I remember the general feeling after the cup final was that that team didn't deserve to finish as losers and should have at least lifted the cup, if not get 10.

As I've got older, I hadn't even turned 16 yet at full time at Parkhead, I've gotten really angry with that squad. They clearly thought they still had it about them to claw it back despite treating the first three quarters of the season as a phucking stag doo. All things come to an end, but given our competition, we had a large enough squad and enough about us to have gotten the 10. Making myself angry here.

Agree - I'm less forgiving these days. Filth squad was arguably weaker than before and we had spent a fortune. Should have been a formality.

I remember the general feeling after the cup final was that that team didn't deserve to finish as losers and should have at least lifted the cup, if not get 10.

As I've got older, I hadn't even turned 16 yet at full time at Parkhead, I've gotten really angry with that squad. They clearly thought they still had it about them to claw it back despite treating the first three quarters of the season as a phucking stag doo. All things come to an end, but given our competition, we had a large enough squad and enough about us to have gotten the 10. Making myself angry here.

The whole season was pure hubris. Right from the Nike billboards ("9/10 must do better"), to the Family Day to the fannying about in Gothenburg before they walloped us. We were an absolute mess of a team who were still strutting about with misguided self confidence and a manager with no clue what to do and who reverted to the old guard in an attempt to get results.

That Celtic team that won the league was nowhere near as good Burns, Venglos or Barnes never mind O'Neill's.

Getting angry about bad results from 20 years ago is pretty obsessive.

Isn't this about the Advocaat years anyway?

If you'd listened to the pod, the first episode is pretty much entirely dedicated to why Advocaat came to be appointed and it's largely due to what saw Walter "stepped down" and the cirucmstances around the entire club at the time.

Ep2 will be the one where the chat moves on to Advocaat's signings and first season.

In the end he was a vastly expensive Warburton or low rent Wenger: went in massive huff when 'not allowed to play'. So Celtic fouled a lot? Dry your eyes man and do something about it...

I’m a great believer in context. To me, if we just started with ‘these guys came in, these other ones left’ a lot of younger Bears might have thought ‘names like Gough, Laudrup, Goram, McCall...why were these guys let go?’

It’s kinda why most WW2 documentaries don’t start in September 1939.

Got this up and running this afternoon and a couple of Podcasts down already!
I have to say that I really enjoyed the one about the bears going over to the old Soviet Union. Very interesting and great to hear Jeff's knowledge on the subject.
Looking forward to the rest of the future content.

IIRC Advocaat wanted to keep Durrant when he left but decided to go with Ferguson after watching him in videos for the reserves.

I’m a great believer in context. To me, if we just started with ‘these guys came in, these other ones left’ a lot of younger Bears might have thought ‘names like Gough, Laudrup, Goram, McCall...why were these guys let go?’

It’s kinda why most WW2 documentaries don’t start in September 1939.
You should have done it in the Pathe news format for authenticity then...

Back