The Alkass International Cup Squad

Thanks for the profiles. It’s great to read your reports on all the games and get info like this. I have to say if I was living in my native Glasgow now , I think I’d be tempted to watch the youths frequently even at the expense of the senior team sometimes. A real breath of fresh air watching them in the tournament. A very talented group of youngsters and a great attitude from them too.

Thanks elfideldo - a very interesting read. Your knowledge of the youth players is incredible.

You must have loved watching that tournament. The boys brought a lot of pleasure to a number of people.

Interesting read, thanks. Couple of mentions for Northern Ireland youths - good to see we seem to be tapping into the market elsewhere.

Young-Coombes is the long haired lad - looks an excellent prospect - how dis we manage to get him!?

Interesting read, thanks. Couple of mentions for Northern Ireland youths - good to see we seem to be tapping into the market elsewhere.

Young-Coombes is the long haired lad - looks an excellent prospect - how dis we manage to get him!?

There is another youngster with long hair I think this may be the guy the poster is talking about.

Really informative. Thanks for sharing.
Is Alex Lowry 15? It's not that he looks older than that, but he is so assured, and has so much confidence I thought he must be at least 16!

Really informative. Thanks for sharing.
Is Alex Lowry 15? It's not that he looks older than that, but he is so assured, and has so much confidence I thought he must be at least 16!

The tournament was U17, with the exception of the Aspire Academy who were U18.

Under 17 is players born in 2002 or later, Roma squad were almost all 2002's I think there were two 2003's (U16).

Rangers 19 man squad was 9 x 2002's, 9 x 2003's & 1 x 2004. That means the 2003's will turn 16 sometime this year. A couple have January or early February birthdays so are already 16. Alex and a few others are 15 and will be 16 later this year.

Leon King the 2004 turned 15 in January.

I congratulated a couple of them on the way back to the car yesterday,One was the boy Coombes,I recognised him because of the hairy mop of hair he has, he was with a teammate who in my ignorance I didn't recognise and an older guy who I took to be a coach.

The tournament was U17, with the exception of the Aspire Academy who were U18.

Under 17 is players born in 2002 or later, Roma squad were almost all 2002's I think there were two 2003's (U16).

Rangers 19 man squad was 9 x 2002's, 9 x 2003's & 1 x 2004. That means the 2003's will turn 16 sometime this year. A couple have January or early February birthdays so are already 16. Alex and a few others are 15 and will be 16 later this year.

Leon King the 2004 turned 15 in January.
Thanks for this great reply. When you're good enough, you're old enough. Even applies to under 17's!

I am excited about the youths at Rangers just now more than I can ever recall. Is that excitement correct or is it a similar standard to the past but we struggle to develop them into first team players?

I am excited about the youths at Rangers just now more than I can ever recall. Is that excitement correct or is it a similar standard to the past but we struggle to develop them into first team players?
There has never been a time where more research and resources have been put into the academy. Staffing levels, scouting, facilities have all improved and Rangers are always looking to bring in the best boys they can. To get NYC from Chelsea was remarkable.

Leon Thompson must be some prospective if hes just turned 16 and playing in the 18s and 20s already.

Also, I read earlier that we're about to sign another kid from the premiership. Kane Ritchie-Hosler who's an u16 kid from Man City.

Might be a stupid question, but notice there are a couple of northern irish players who play for teams like linfield. How does that work with regards playing for Rangers in a tournament?

Back